Should Andreychuk's number be retired?

Hoss

Honestly, with the Sabres, Andreychuk was good...not great...to me, he was kind of a symbol of a very disappointing era of Sabres hockey...I say "no"! Let him retire in Florida!

I've always hated the Andreychuk for Fuhr trade, especially considering Hasek was already on the roster. That 1992-3 team might've gone a bit further if Dom was allowed to get in a groove and Andreychuk stayed on a line with LaFontaine and Mogilny. In retrospect though, your bolded statement is exactly right. He actually lit it up with the Leafs that postseason, but he was invisible in the playoffs as a Sabre.

Even though he scored a hell of a lot of goals in Buffalo in 11 seasons, it's not enough to hang his number from the rafters. He is to the Sabres what Dave Kingman was to the Oakland Athletics.

Nope. Not before Mike Ramsey.

My alltime favorite Sabre--- and the first jersey/sweater I ever bought.

He's first all time in power play goals, and was a great player. I don't think we should retire his number though, he had his best moments with other teams. I do think he'll be in the HHOF some day

If the team wins the cup next season, is there anybody on the team RIGHT NOW that would deserve their number retired with the Stanley Cup added to their resume?

Miller is first all time in wins for the team, and I doubt we would win a cup without great goaltending, so yes. If we won a cup with Miller in net #30 is retired as soon as he hangs up the skates.

I've always hated the Andreychuk for Fuhr trade, especially considering Hasek was already on the roster.

Ditto. What a horrible trade that was. Muckler wanted his cronies on board. I never bought into the Fuhr hype. He was good. He made timely saves.

But I don't consider him a superstar (such as Hasek and Roy, for example.)

No.

Only the truly great ones should have their number retired. As far as i'm concerned there has only been 2 truly great ones worthy that have donned the sabres crest and that is, Gil and Dom.

#11 and #39 were legends, can't be said for anyone else.

Archived