Would you trade Leino for Tim Connolly?

freester

I know some folks here hate Timmy, but I am not one of them. I look at this trade as a way to get rid of Leino's terrible contract. Our rookie centers are not ready to contribute and Timmy is only signed for one more year. I think Burke makes this trade because he is desperate. We are overstocked at LW and understocked at Center.

I dunno, Leino only had 11 less points and is pretty damn decent in the corners - better than almost any other Sabre. I think he bounces back a bit. I'll give him another year before i call bust on this signing.

Ennis and Coho are our top 2, i think Connolly does provide something they don't. If it was a big power forward style centre, then maybe. But i think Leino provides something a bit different

I also think in the next CBA teams will not be able to dump salaries into the minors. Leino's contract is a serious long term liability for a mediocre LW.

I'm not too sure how they can stop it. You can't say the player earns X therefore he must play in the NHL and thus must kick someone out of the NHL.

I'm giving Leino a pass on the first half of the season, largely based on memory of him as a Flyer and the fact he looked better here as the year went on.

Guy is way harder to play against than Connolly and better than last year's numbers.

I see him as the new Hecht — five years at 30-50 points, relatively effective, but not worth what we're paying him.

Prediction here: Ville will show his worth in the playoffs before he's done.

How slow is the off-season? This is how slow the off season is.

On Leino. The Sabres are stuck with that guy; we can only hope he comes to grips with the reality he has chosen and decides to play hockey.

On Leino. The Sabres are stuck with that guy; we can only hope he comes to grips with the reality he has chosen and decides to play hockey.

Not necessarily. Many media people speculate that the new CBA will have a amnesty clause, similar to the NBA one, where each team can release a player from their salary cap. We'd still need Pegula to pay him, but he wouldn't be on our cap.

Archived