Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Bump ...

The latest battle of Manchester goes to ... MAN CITY!!

http://stats.cbc.ca/epl/boxscore.asp?gamecode=2014110210033&season=2014-1&meta=true

Man U played a man down for an hour, city should have had more than one goal. I've fought a few city games. Toure and Milner look horrible, and Toure looks fat.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like sour grapes, Hank.

:P

-----

Euro 2016 qualifying matches resume this weekend.

A few upsets, but not many.

Greece lost at home 1 - 0 to Faroe Islands and Montenegro drew Sweden 1 - 1 at home.

BiH vs. Israel (why are they in Europe football federation?) kick off soon. Pretty much a must win for BiH and they have not had much, if any real, success against Israel in the past.

GO BiH!!

:censored:

:(

Not sure why they missed this match, but when your Captain and best player, along with your second best striker, are not in the lineup the results tend to be not very good.

Looks like BiH will not even be in a playoff for Euro 2016, unless something drastically changes.

Maybe this is why their manager retired after WC 2014. Of course, the powers that be convinced him to return for Euro 2016 ... BOOM!!

• 3 weeks later...

The US draws the group of death with Australia, Sweden and Nigeria in the Woman's World Cup, all four teams were the top ranked seed in their pod. Canada has a tough group, Germany and Japan get a free pass.

The lottery was very well done, every ball was drawn, opened and read in front of the cameras, no possibility for shenanigans.

Edited by Hank

• 2 weeks later...

The US draws the group of death with Australia, Sweden and Nigeria in the Woman's World Cup, all four teams were the top ranked seed in their pod. Canada has a tough group, Germany and Japan get a free pass.

The lottery was very well done, every ball was drawn, opened and read in front of the cameras, no possibility for shenanigans.

That is how it is always done, i don't get why they don't do it with the nhl draft to.

That is how it is always done, i don't get why they don't do it with the nhl draft to.

It's because they want to make a 30-minute show out of it and picking one ball (this year at least) takes a minute. I'd be down with a format where they pick the ball, spend 10-15 minutes on going through the draft order and summarizing what each team "needs", then spending 15 minutes on the top 5-10 picks or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Manchester City!!

Have finally caught Chelsea for a tie atop the EPL. Even tied on the first tie breaker (GD). Chelsea still atop the table based on their unblemished home record.

Only a matter of time until City repeats as EPL champ ... it would be their third in 4 seasons, if am not mistaken.

GO CITY!!

• 3 weeks later...

Be still my heart.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/sepp-blatter-s-fifa-presidency-challenged-by-michael-van-praag-1.2932192

A credible challenger to the don of FIFA.

Who knows if he would be any better, but I don't think he could be worse.  

Of course, we will never know, as there is no way he will win.

• 1 month later...

Another of my favourite footballers is retiring from International play.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/diego-forlan-face-of-uruguayan-soccer-to-retire-1.2991541

Always loved the way he controlled a match from the wing.  I didn't realize he was 35 ... plays as if he is 25, but I guess it's time.

Another of my favourite footballers is retiring from International play.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/diego-forlan-face-of-uruguayan-soccer-to-retire-1.2991541

Always loved the way he controlled a match from the wing.  I didn't realize he was 35 ... plays as if he is 25, but I guess it's time.

Haven't seen much of him the last two years though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump ...

GO IMPACT!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-impact-to-play-in-mexico-s-iconic-azteca-stadium-1.3026666

This match is going to be awesome, I hope.

Imagine you have a chance to win your Champions League final in the most storied stadium in the league, maybe in the world.

GO IMPACT!!

• 3 weeks later...

QPR officially relegated after one season back up in the EPL.

http://stats.cbc.ca/epl/story.asp?i=20150510102733507353508

-----

How is Norwich doing this season?  Any chance they will be promoted?  I did enjoy watching them when I could.

They're in the playoff. They drew Ipswich in the first leg 1-1. If they beat them, then they must beat the winner of Middlesbrough and Brentford and they'll be in.

They're in the playoff. They drew Ipswich in the first leg 1-1. If they beat them, then they must beat the winner of Middlesbrough and Brentford and they'll be in.

It will be nice if they make it to Wembley just so I can actually watch a game this year.

They started slowly, but hired a new manager mid-season and he has made the difference.

It will be nice if they make it to Wembley just so I can actually watch a game this year.

They started slowly, but hired a new manager mid-season and he has made the difference.

The return leg vs. Ipswich is at home, so their odds of atleast reaching Wembley are pretty high. And i'd assume they would be the favorite in the final as well.

The return leg vs. Ipswich is at home, so their odds of atleast reaching Wembley are pretty high. And i'd assume they would be the favorite in the final as well.

Yes; they finished third in the Championship so they likely would be the favorite.  

I don't know that home/away matters that much.  They seem to win away about as often as they do at Carrow Road.