The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

I haven't heard all of it and I tend to find this show insufferable, but kudos to Peters and Sylvester. These are the types of questions which should have been asked at the presser.

I was just thinking these were the questions I wanted asked and answered.

also "Cody Hodgson is an extremely hard working professional" Next time someone brings up his work ethic I give you this quote.

"We are trying to move up (in the draft), I have had conversation as early as yesterday about moving up... I talked to some teams yesterday that said they are not moving their pick"

I haven't heard all of it and I tend to find this show insufferable, but kudos to Peters and Sylvester. These are the types of questions which should have been asked at the presser.

Agreed. Darcy is attempting to move up in the draft. Good news. Hope he can get it done.

also "Cody Hodgson is an extremely hard working professional" Next time someone brings up his work ethic I give you this quote.

"We are trying to move up (in the draft), I have had conversation as early as yesterday about moving up... I talked to some teams yesterday that said they are not moving their pick"

As far as I know, there is only one person who questions his work ethic.

Good stuff (finally) on the show this am. Biggest take away for me was that the team realizes that several of the young players are too complacent and need to work harder in the off season to show that they belong.

Foligno and Myers, are you listening?

I find it incredible that this has not been addressed by the team systematically a long time ago, but better late than never I guess.

Good stuff (finally) on the show this am. Biggest take away for me was that the team realizes that several of the young players are too complacent and need to work harder in the off season to show that they belong.

Foligno and Myers, are you listening?

I find it incredible that this has not been addressed by the team systematically a long time ago, but better late than never I guess.

It is hard to hold the club responsible for off-season development when they lock out the players out they are developing.

Didn't take long to get that oldie but goodie out there.

Agreed. Darcy is attempting to move up in the draft. Good news. Hope he can get it done.

Schopp and the Bulldog were talking about how the Sabres would have to seriously overpay to get a top pick, badly lose the trade to get it done. I don't really see what the Sabres have on hand to pry away a top pick. Aren't these generational talents this year? What are we going to give Colorado? Myers-Vanek-Miller-Grigorenko-Armia-couple of firsts... I'd laugh if I were the Colorado GM.

Schopp and the Bulldog were talking about how the Sabres would have to seriously overpay to get a top pick, badly lose the trade to get it done. I don't really see what the Sabres have on hand to pry away a top pick. Aren't these generational talents this year? What are we going to give Colorado? Myers-Vanek-Miller-Grigorenko-Armia-couple of firsts... I'd laugh if I were the Colorado GM.

IMO there are only 4 players worth moving up from #8 for: Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, and Barkov.

I don't think there is any way Colorado budges. I could see moving up from #16 to #9-12 .....but I think at this point the second drop off doesn't really start until late in the first.

I could see the Sabres trading the 2nds and some assets to get a third pick in the first round.

IMO there are only 4 players worth moving up from #8 for: Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, and Barkov.

I don't think there is any way Colorado budges. I could see moving up from #16 to #9-12 .....but I think at this point the second drop off doesn't really start until late in the first.

I could see the Sabres trading the 2nds and some assets to get a third pick in the first round.

There's a top 8 that I really like. Then there's a handful of guys just outside that top 8 (Shinkaruk, Ristolainen, Zadorov), and then there's a bunch of guys that are all sort of in the same category for me.

The X factor in this thing is if we trade Vanek or Miller (or both), do we get another #1 coming back from someone? And would that #1 be used to move up? Would we trade three #1's for the fourth overall pick or something?

Or if we trade those two guys for prospects that fill needs, maybe we can just to BPA with all of our picks at the draft and not worry about moving up at all.

It is hard to hold the club responsible for off-season development when they lock out the players out they are developing.

The players are responsible for their own conditioning and work ethic in season and off season, I just think it's strange that the Sabres have not had much more rigorous demands of their players physical conditioning and work ethic basically. There should have been a culture in place a long time ago that if you show up for training camp out of shape or don't push yourself and the team, you are automatically assigned to Rochester or other more severe consequences.

The more of the inside info that sort of trickles out, the more it seems like the Sabres have built a complacent culture where players get along great, coaches and ownership have a great relationship and players are allowed to get comfortable and get away with doing 'just enough'. I think something like that has a lot to do with how long Ruff was here, but it's something the entire team should have caught onto. Darcy should have seen it a long time ago and made the moves needed to have players in place that are hungry to compete.

For example: Pominville said that it was nice to get to a group that was committed to winning. ????!!!!???? Who was the captain of that group you left that apparently wasn't committed to win? Not enough players (if any at all?) that would drive the group to commit to winning. It can only lead to failure.

The players are responsible for their own conditioning and work ethic in season and off season, I just think it's strange that the Sabres have not had much more rigorous demands of their players physical conditioning and work ethic basically. There should have been a culture in place a long time ago that if you show up for training camp out of shape or don't push yourself and the team, you are automatically assigned to Rochester or other more severe consequences.

While I like the idea, No Movement Clauses and Waiver Eligibility make it a little tough.

Wait, you mean to tell me teams don't trade out of high draft picks in the NHL? But...but....but...Brian Burke did it like 15 years ago for the twins! Make it happen Darcy, whatever it takes! :rolleyes:

We both know its unlikely any of the top 3 will move out and 4 through 7 will be difficult.

What I am saying, to paraphrase Jerry Sullivan, I already wrote my post for 2015 listing the reasons why Darcy's plan didn't work. Here is a little excerpt;

.....we thought we could turn the new currency we acquired into a top 3 pick. We misread the market place..........

No need to pick #1 overall, or #2 for that matter. That will cost way to much and the real gem is projected to go 4th overall anyway. If I were Darcy I'd talk to Nashville and Tampa, and see what they would need to swap picks. Nashville needs scorers so perhaps they'd be reluctant to give up the Drouin pipe dream, but Tampa might be willing to do something I guess (at least Andrew Peters says so, so probably not)

So, the comparisons I see go like this:

Seth Jones - Chris Pronger

Nathan McKinnon - Sidney Crosby

Jonathan Drouin - Martin St. Louis

Alexander Barkov - Peter Forsberg

Yes dude! Yes!

If the Sabres end up with Barkov, I shall be quite pleased.

We both know its unlikely any of the top 3 will move out and 4 through 7 will be difficult.

What I am saying, to paraphrase Jerry Sullivan, I already wrote my post for 2015 listing the reasons why Darcy's plan didn't work. Here is a little excerpt;

.....we thought we could turn the new currency we acquired into a top 3 pick. We misread the market place..........

With Darcy at the helm.....we hold Zimbabwe currency.......

Which is really just a cover for "we made ourselves as terrible as possible for the best chance we could get at McDavid" :P

? :huh:

I am 100% opposed to moving up. Do you have draft grades that show Barkov is head and shoulders above Lindholm or your boy Monahan? Even to move up from 8 to 4 is going to be costly, and for a team that is lacking in top 6 forwards throughout the organization, I don't want to give up picks to make a move of this nature.

Edited by LabattBlue

... it seems like the Sabres have built a complacent culture where players get along great, coaches and ownership have a great relationship and players are allowed to get comfortable and get away with doing 'just enough'. I think something like that has a lot to do with how long Ruff was here.

One of the best observations I've seen here in a long time.

And it's why it is essential next year's coach is someone whose best asset is pushing young players to heights they've never considered reaching for.

I am 100% opposed to moving up. Do you have draft grades that show Barkov is head and shoulders above Lindholm or your boy Monahan? Even to move up from 8 to 4 is going to be costly, and for a team that is lacking in top 6 forwards throughout the organization, I don't want to give up picks to make a move of this nature.

If Monahan is as good as Jonathan Toews, as many in Ottawa are suggesting, the Sabres should attempt to move up a few slots and ensure they are able to select Monahan.

For example: Pominville said that it was nice to get to a group that was committed to winning. ????!!!!???? Who was the captain of that group you left that apparently wasn't committed to win? Not enough players (if any at all?) that would drive the group to commit to winning. It can only lead to failure.

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVca9MwDX8

Edited by X. Benedict

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.