The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

Is it fair for you and I to rip Darcy for that contract? We both supported it at the time, even though it's obviously a terrible contract.

I would *hope* the professional GM of an NHL team, making millions of dollars, might be able to make wiser, more insightful decisions than we fans spending a few minutes per day chatting about hockey on a message board.

EDIT - I have never, to the best of my knowledge, supported Stafford.

Edited by Jsixspd

"We make group decisions....everyone has a say in it..."

I'd like to know who the "group" consists of? This has major meddling written all over it. I thought Quinn was gone, and with him the day to day meddling. This will be very short lived(probably less than 5 minutes), but I actually feel sorry for Regier.

So are you talking to a boy or a man?

Is it fair for you and I to rip Darcy for that contract? We both supported it at the time, even though it's obviously a terrible contract.

I did not, do not, and will not support Drew Stafford's contract. It was an overpayment then and it still is today. Darcy keeps paying for potential not actual.

I would *hope* the professional GM of an NHL team, making millions of dollars, might be able to make wiser, more insightful decisions than we fans spending a few minutes per day chatting about hockey on a message board.

EDIT - I have never, to the best of my knowledge, supported Stafford.

The only problem is fans on a forum use hindsight to convince everybody how much smarter they are than the million doallar GM. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way, nobody can make decisions based on hindsight. It's certainly easier for a fan to say they were right 2 years down the road. In reality, if team decisions were based on what forum fans thought would be best at the time....... let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. Instead of saying 'I was right I told you so', let's go back to those specific times and see what this board was actually saying. Hindsight sure is convenient to those who think they know it all.

BTW, only the first part of that response was directed at you. The rest was just a general statement. ;)

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I'd like to know who the "group" consists of? This has major meddling written all over it. I thought Quinn was gone, and with him the day to day meddling. This will be very short lived(probably less than 5 minutes), but I actually feel sorry for Regier.

I don't feel bad at all as this was the concern when Pegula came in.....if he could be a weasel and lie to the fans with a straight face under Golisano/Quinn....he certainly could accept being a puppet to someone who has an open checkbook and gave him the best resources of anyone in the league. Even with that we are still a bottom of the barrel organisation.

After today, I feel bad for Ted Black. I like him, and I know he has to look himself in the mirror and ask himself if it's really worth it on a regular basis. I'm sure pegula is a supportive boss and pretty much nice guy, but it's tough being the good samaratin and entertaining him 24/7. It's like when you get stuck next to the crazy, nice person on the subway....you can be cordial and make them feel good about themselves for the length of the ride because you know you only have to be there for 5-10 minutes. When that ride is 5-10 years....it can make you go crazy yourself.

And I suppose this whole board would have supported Darcy letting Stafford walk after scoring 31 goals in 62 games.

He was an RFA so he wouldn't have walked very far.

I read through that thread and I was against paying Drew a ton of money and voiced I hoped his new work ethic was going to be the norm but it wasn't. Drew regressed back to the mean. Hell I was even optimistic about that team being good. Now I am older and wiser. Drew's contract was a bust thus far. That was the original point and if he made 3mil instead of 4 he would be less of a headache.

He was an RFA so he wouldn't have walked very far.

I read through that thread and I was against paying Drew a ton of money and voiced I hoped his new work ethic was going to be the norm but it wasn't. Drew regressed back to the mean. Hell I was even optimistic about that team being good. Now I am older and wiser. Drew's contract was a bust thus far. That was the original point and if he made 3mil instead of 4 he would be less of a headache.

Can you name any player who put up a .5 GPG season and wound up with a lesser contract? Would it have been better if Stafford made $3 mil/yr? Is Darcy's worthiness really hanging on $1mil?

Actually, this thread isn't about Darcy. It's just another 'Darcy sucks' hijack just like every other thread turns out to be which is really becoming monotonous. That really annoys me so I'm going to excuse myself before I become any more hypocritical.

Let's just say, we're all 'professionals' when there is nothing on the line and we judge our opinions and decisions two years after the fact when it becomes so much easier to look correct. Just once I'd like to see somebody bring up their suggestions from years past that were way off base.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

The only problem is fans on a forum use hindsight to convince everybody how much smarter they are than the million doallar GM. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way, nobody can make decisions based on hindsight. It's certainly easier for a fan to say they were right 2 years down the road. In reality, if team decisions were based on what forum fans thought would be best at the time....... let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. Instead of saying 'I was right I told you so', let's go back to those specific times and see what this board was actually saying. Hindsight sure is convenient to those who think they know it all.

BTW, only the first part of that response was directed at you. The rest was just a general statement. ;)

I'll keep this little tidbit in mind when we see the results a year or two after Miller is gone :P ;)

I did not, do not, and will not support Drew Stafford's contract. It was an overpayment then and it still is today. Darcy keeps paying for potential not actual.

Yesh you did don't be so Nixon-y. If Drew Stafford played even decently this passed year his contract would barely be an over-payment.

My point was less about who believed what when and more about what's fair when it comes to analyzing GMs. Obviously, most of the board has its mind made up about Darcy but there are still those who have very interesting points of view when it comes to evaluating him (LTS, Physics). My brother supports Darcy wholeheartedly and he's an older wiser hockey fan than I; we have a lot of interesting conversations since we're pretty far apart on him.

If you thought it was a good idea at the time, is it fair to blame Darcy and rip on him for it?

Edited by qwksndmonster

Didn't read the whole thing but.... looks like Bunomatic and DeLuca were spot on in their assessment - guy is a dog with fleas.

Well right, any time you look at a "negative" player, DeLuca (at least) is going to be right. If someday the Sabres have a positive player story to tell, it'll be interesting to see how that was viewed by the board.

Can you name any player who put up a .5 GPG season and wound up with a lesser contract? Would it have been better if Stafford made $3 mil/yr? Is Darcy's worthiness really hanging on $1mil?

Actually, this thread isn't about Darcy. It's just another 'Darcy sucks' hijack just like every other thread turns out to be which is really becoming monotonous. That really annoys me so I'm going to excuse myself before I become any more hypocritical.

Let's just say, we're all 'professionals' when there is nothing on the line and we judge our opinions and decisions two years after the fact when it becomes so much easier to look correct. Just once I'd like to see somebody bring up their suggestions from years past that were way off base.

1mil plus 1mil to much for leino, 1.2mil to much for Myers etc... it adds up when you constantly overpay. I didn't turn this into a Darcy sucks thread. I am content with him as GM even if I think he hasn't done a great job. His last 18 months have shown he is not inept and whether or not we get a cup out of that who knows.

I feel sorry for him too up to the point of realizing he keeps signing up for this. Maybe, unlike Lindy, teams won't fire their GMs the minute Regier quits (or have the common decency of waiting five minutes). Maybe he needs and likes the job. In the end, Darcy looks like a useful tool ("I can work with the guy" said Terry). So the group is Terry, Kim, Ted, Cliff, Ken, Dick, Harry and Darcy? A lot of hockey IQ there. Which no one in the organization has a monopoly on, according to a previous Pegula comment.

What are you gonna do? Except remember Bobby Knight's advice. Just relax. Enjoy.

Edited by PASabreFan

"OMG, he has pretty eyes, we have to offer him $6 mil over 5..."

"No way, I heard he likes to drive Fords. I don't like Ford-people..."

"His Corsi numbers are off the charts..."

"Will he agree to being on the Green Team? We've lost a lot of traction on that initiative since Goose was traded away..."

"...and that chin, totally European..."

"...he doesn't even like classic 'Stangs, I could excuse a guy with a fastback '70's 'Stang, or an original Cobra, those are cool..."

"...Perry's was reluctant to do another specialty flavor, but if he's from Sweden, we could play up the chocolate angle..."

"...he's small, and somewhat weak on the back check, but we've had success with players like that before..."

I agree is some cases fans do, but in the Stafford case there was both foresight and hindsight :censored: and I have been a Stafford hater as far as his play goes, not him personally, for a lot longer than that the signing of his contract. His under-performance with moments of tantelizing play during his contract year was obvious to even a 1st grader.

So nice hyperbole, but the signing of Stafford was nuts in the opinion of many of us and the Leino contract was an obvious reach for many of us as well, though many had hope he could come through. The Sabres needed a center so badly after the tin man became an egg on a wall...

But you don't need to be soothsayer to see either of these scenarios as part of Darcy's many blunders. I have been positive on many players. Still love Vanek, Foligno, Enis, McNabb, Weber, Sekera, Erhoff, Ott,, been impressed with Sulzer and Psysk and Tropp. But I am really confused by Myers and frustrated with the Diva that is Miller, and Grigs and wish Darcy could find a class A center.

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.