Penguins: Will they start thinking about Crosby?

RazielSabre

No, Crosby given his concussion issues and short time to get up to speed for playoffs no great surprise he was not himself. Given Penguins early exit and a full summer no reason not to expect he will be ready to resume his career at the high level he is used to.

Agree completely.

But I'm genuinely concerned for the kid. His absence the last two games was conspicuous, especially given his performance earlier in the series, which was pretty damn good; 8 points in four games good. I think that hit by his own teammate (Malkin) in game 5 dinged him up. He didn't skate the same after that. And he was a total defensive liability on the ice as well. Just not Crosby like.

Personally, I think the kid should hang 'em up given the concussions he's had. The more information that becomes available about concussions, the worse it seems to get. He's set for life. He should get out while he can still enjoy it 30 years from now.

GO SABRES!!!

Agree completely.

But I'm genuinely concerned for the kid. His absence the last two games was conspicuous, especially given his performance earlier in the series, which was pretty damn good; 8 points in four games good. I think that hit by his own teammate (Malkin) in game 5 dinged him up. He didn't skate the same after that. And he was a total defensive liability on the ice as well. Just not Crosby like.

Personally, I think the kid should hang 'em up given the concussions he's had. The more information that becomes available about concussions, the worse it seems to get. He's set for life. He should get out while he can still enjoy it 30 years from now.

GO SABRES!!!

I agree with you on this . There does seem to be a inevitability of he getting concussed again, I hard to think of he playing it ending good. Would be tough for such a player to prematurely end his career, but he has achieved more than most would ever dream of, he could continue his career as a most important hockey person, he becoming a spokesman for a safer game and real effective change in it.

I thought they came out and said that the reason he missed so much time year was because of neck injury and not concussion related.

Partially true. He did sustain a second concussion, however the bulk of his "symptoms" that kept him out of the lineup long-term were attributed to the neck injury that was discovered some time later. Once they began treatment for the neck injury, it was not long before Crosby's symptoms subsided and he made his return to the lineup; So it's certainly feasible that it was the neck injury that played the biggest role in delaying his return. And, if that's true, maybe some of his injury troubles have been blown out of proportion...

But that said, he still had two concussions in less than a year, even if one might not have been as severe as the other. There's definitely cause for concern, but you just never know how it'll play out -- some guys get concussed and are back in the lineup a week later, others are concussed and aren't back for a full year. Some guys get concussed on two, three, or four separate occasions, while others get concussed once and never have problems again. It's Crosby's decision and he wants to play. That's all that matters to me.

But as for the topic at hand, no, the Penguins are not going to trade Sidney Crosby. Injury problems or not, it won't happen. If his health becomes that much of a concern, he would retire before the Penguins even consider trading him.

Partially true. He did sustain a second concussion, however the bulk of his "symptoms" that kept him out of the lineup long-term were attributed to the neck injury that was discovered some time later. Once they began treatment for the neck injury, it was not long before Crosby's symptoms subsided and he made his return to the lineup; So it's certainly feasible that it was the neck injury that played the biggest role in delaying his return. And, if that's true, maybe some of his injury troubles have been blown out of proportion...

But that said, he still had two concussions in less than a year, even if one might not have been as severe as the other. There's definitely cause for concern, but you just never know how it'll play out -- some guys get concussed and are back in the lineup a week later, others are concussed and aren't back for a full year. Some guys get concussed on two, three, or four separate occasions, while others get concussed once and never have problems again. It's Crosby's decision and he wants to play. That's all that matters to me.

But as for the topic at hand, no, the Penguins are not going to trade Sidney Crosby. Injury problems or not, it won't happen. If his health becomes that much of a concern, he would retire before the Penguins even consider trading him.

Very good points. Some guys are never the same, some guys can work through it and it never again becomes an issue. FL got rid of Booth because they felt he was risky and he seemed to get through this year just fine (although I don't think he's quite with it anymore lol) and the same could be said for Tim Connolly. Everybody thought Connolly was done years ago. In Cindy's case, it would def be worth thinking about considering his trade value while he's still healthy. He is def an asset, but you'll always be left second guessing yourself if he ever does get another concussion that knocks him out for good and you never took that blockbuster that was offered to you during the offseason.

Don't stop at one, go get all three and another Foligno..

What the hell are we, Cheers? :P

Agree completely.

GO SABRES!!!

The Pens wouldn't let him, the league wouldn't let him. I doubt his health matters to most people behind those organisations more than good wishes.

What the hell are we, Cheers? :P

The Pens wouldn't let him, the league wouldn't let him. I doubt his health matters to most people behind those organisations more than good wishes.

As much as they may try to persuade him not to, if Crosby decided to hang 'em up tomorrow, there isn't very much the Pens or league could do but watch him leave.

GO SABRES!!!

Lets talk about the Pittsburgh situation:

Begining on July 1 of this year, the Pens have a couple of decisions to make. Jordan Staal and Sydney Crosby will enter the final year of their entry level deals. Staal is at 4mil and Crosby at 8.7mil. Both will become UFA's. Also of note are Cooke and Dupuis, both will also be UFA's on july 1, 2013. That constitutes a good chunk of the Pens top guys with the exclusion of Malkin, Neal, Kennedy, and Kunitz.

Now their defense has a lot less flexibility and considerably more age/questions. It clearly let them down in this years playoffs. Philly scored 34goals in 6 games and the Pens had 26. In reality 26 goals over 6 games is 4.3gpga. That should win you games especially in the playoffs. Now their top 4 guys are locks especially considering 3 of them have NMC and limited NTC. So that leaves the final 2 defense spots.

Final note is that the pens have 59.5mil for 18 players already on the books for next season. Leaving depending on the cap 7-8mil for the remaing 5 guys plus they will want a little wiggle room.

Now the Sabres are deep at defense. They are shallow at center. They do have some depth on the wings. They also have a good number of picks for the first 2 rounds. IMO the Pens might look at their early round exit and decide they have a good amount of scoring but some serious holes on defense. Here is where it gets interesting. They are going to have to budget for Crosby's extension and Malkins (the following year). They need defense and this years draft has a bunch of defense ranked in the top 20. 10 of the top 20 to be precise (North American Skaters). The bulk fall btw the 5-12 range.

So what am I getting at? IF the Sabres choose to go after a player like Staal and IF he were available, this summer would present a good oppurtunity. We have a ok pick at 12, and I would guess depending what the European pool looks like that some of those 5-12guys will drop 3-6 places. The penguins will draft 27th I beleive and if they do have through trades or my own miscalculations a higher pick please forgive me. So It seems that it is possible that our 12th overall pick and McNabb or if there is another top defense prospect, plus maybe a forward (I have no clue who they would be interestied in) could convince Pitts to dump Staal. Of course contract negotiations and such would have to be taken into account as well and they can not start until july 1. There are a lot of if's and but's so this is all purely speculation for people to consider when looking at the Pittsburgh situation.

Why stop there, Why not try for the Sedins too? And for depth/4th line bring over Drew from Detroit, then the Schenns?

Pegula did say that the team environment he wanted was one big family..........

Band of Brothers?

I think the more likely scenario is some blockbuster with Jordan Staal. Staal is coming into a UFA year, and is probably tired of 3rd line duty.
Staal is the one who will cash in.
I would trade for Staal.

let me get this straight: the sabres could target a terrific centerman who's being under-utilized as a third-line center because he's stuck behind two elite talents?

... that sounds so, familiar. somehow.

I remember my first beer.

:clapping:

i remember my first joke. its a joke. can we not make jokes on hurrrrrr?

:w00t:

let me get this straight: the sabres could target a terrific centerman who's being under-utilized as a third-line center because he's stuck behind two elite talents?

... that sounds so, familiar. somehow.

I heard Staal has a meddling, racist father. So, no thanks.

GO SABRES!!!

He also has brothers actively working to undermine the success of the Sabres.

Oh crap, our golden boy savior Foligno has a brother actively trying to undermine the Sabres too. So either we're doomed or we have to bring in all of the family members. It definitely cuts down on the name plate budget a bit.

Not a 'Trade for Crosby' discussion.

Malkin will win the Art Ross and Crosby has played 63 games over the last two seasons. With Malkin about and questions are being asked after they got owned by Giroux's Warriors (formerly the Flyers) will the Pens start taking serious offers for Crosby in order to improve their team as a whole?

I have a gut feeling we might well see rumors about Crosby pop up, or even a trade involving him, especially over the next season. What do you guys think?

Doubt it.

Archived