Penguins: Will they start thinking about Crosby?

RazielSabre

Not a 'Trade for Crosby' discussion.

Malkin will win the Art Ross and Crosby has played 63 games over the last two seasons. With Malkin about and questions are being asked after they got owned by Giroux's Warriors (formerly the Flyers) will the Pens start taking serious offers for Crosby in order to improve their team as a whole?

I have a gut feeling we might well see rumors about Crosby pop up, or even a trade involving him, especially over the next season. What do you guys think?

Malkin will win the Art Ross and Crosby has played 63 games over the last two seasons. With Malkin about and questions are being asked after they got owned by Giroux's Warriors (formerly the Flyers) will the Pens start taking serious offers for Crosby in order to improve their team as a whole?

I have a gut feeling we might well see rumors about Crosby pop up, or even a trade involving him, especially over the next season. What do you guys think?

No one is above a trade. If the right exchange can be met, Pittsburgh will deal. I mean, look at Paul Gaustad. You know how invaluable he was to this team, and Nashville paid the first round pick. Look where the Sabres are, and look where they are. On to the 2nd round. And they'll manhandle Phoenix. Or Chicago, if they pull it off, what with Goose's mad face-off skills and psycho-sniping sk ...

Oh, wait. Okay, 1 out 2 I guess.

I think the more likely scenario is some blockbuster with Jordan Staal.

Staal is coming into a UFA year, and is probably tired of 3rd line duty.

No, Crosby given his concussion issues and short time to get up to speed for playoffs no great surprise he was not himself. Given Penguins early exit and a full summer no reason not to expect he will be ready to resume his career at the high level he is used to.

I know that it's been clarified that this isn't a Crosby to sabres thread, but we, and most teams, probably wouldn't have anything close to what Pittsburgh would want for Crosby. He proved he can captain the team to a cup. No one here, and not many elsewhere, do that very often, and no one can put up numbers like him when healthy. I think any trade discussion will be fan/media created, and it will not even come close to happening.

But damn would I love him.

No one is above a trade. If the right exchange can be met, Pittsburgh will deal. I mean, look at Paul Gaustad. You know how invaluable he was to this team, and Nashville paid the first round pick. Look where the Sabres are, and look where they are. On to the 2nd round. And they'll manhandle Phoenix. Or Chicago, if they pull it off, what with Goose's mad face-off skills and psycho-sniping sk ...

Oh, wait. Okay, 1 out 2 I guess.

Yup. Wayne Gretzky was traded twice. Anything is possible.

Agreed.

Malkin don't want him there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ivdVRpEpto

Best Youtube clip ever!

No, Crosby given his concussion issues and short time to get up to speed for playoffs no great surprise he was not himself. Given Penguins early exit and a full summer no reason not to expect he will be ready to resume his career at the high level he is used to.

True, but they have $8.7mill tied up in Crosby for two seasons, and considering his playing half seasons (ala Lindros) in the Pens position I'd start throwing his name around. Purely outside of my conference but it would be there. Build a better team with Malkin as the most dangerous weapon because, lets face it, he has been recently.

Gretzky was traded so I don't want to say it's impossible, but it would be the biggest trade since Gretzky if Crosby was moved. He's a once in a lifetime player. There's no way you move him. I'd move Malkin before I moved Crosby.

Gretzky was traded so I don't want to say it's impossible, but it would be the biggest trade since Gretzky if Crosby was moved. He's a once in a lifetime player. There's no way you move him. I'd move Malkin before I moved Crosby.

Sure the guys has absurd talent, but is he more Lindros than Gretzky?

Gretzky was traded because of money issues and Lindros was traded because he refused to play. Crosby does not get traded. Star players like those are not traded unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances, playing poor defence leading to an early round knockout is not one of those. He is the face of the NHL, which must piss Malkin off a lot - the team probably earns more money from Crosby than it does Malkin, ergo it is not financially appropriate to trade him. He is also their captain, which means he is usually off limits. I think it would require 8+ first round picks and a semi-star player to get him (Vanek for example would fit that category), simply because he is that valuable.

Staal will be traded i think, it makes no sense not to trade him basically. That means they are losing one centre, to trade Malkin or Crosby (Malkin is the more likely option imo) then that leaves them with one top line centre (and probably a good second line centre which they would get in return. It makes their team weaker as a unit and considering they were in rebuild for much of the last decade, i doubt they decide to go through it again.

The early round exit should be placed squarely on Blysma, he was simply out coached.

Sure the guys has absurd talent, but is he more Lindros than Gretzky?

That ring on his finger already takes Lindros out of the equation.

And no Crosby rumors will ever pop up. Gretzky was traded twice due to money issues and those same problems will never arrise here. There are enough restrictions in place that don't allow Crosby to get that contract this is absurdly larger than any player in the game. Pittsburgh has already shown that they're willing to pay the top dollar for their top guys and that won't change.

That ring on his finger already takes Lindros out of the equation.

And no Crosby rumors will ever pop up. Gretzky was traded twice due to money issues and those same problems will never arrise here. There are enough restrictions in place that don't allow Crosby to get that contract this is absurdly larger than any player in the game. Pittsburgh has already shown that they're willing to pay the top dollar for their top guys and that won't change.

I meant the absurd talent but spending most of his career injured, nothing more.

There is close to 0 chance that teh pens are even considering trading Crosby right now or in the near future. The City of Pittsburgh would burn the organisation to the ground if they did that. He is the face of the league and the face of their franchise. The would never get anything back for him that would make fans of the Pens accept giving him away.

Gretzky was delat because of financial reasons, and did he not want to be dealt to the Kings because of Janet needing to be in LA to star in so many highly regarded films? Lindros was dealt cause he didn't want to play for Quebec. The Pens can still keep Crosby and malkin together, and still be one of the better NHL franchise competing for the cup every year, but it may involve dealing away some of their secondary players and restocking with good young talent. The Pens could deal Staal away and get a great return for him, and they probabaly wouldn't look much worse out there.

It would certainly take an ideal storm to pry Crosby from Pittsburgh, but I have to wonder if a team like SJ (or maybe Van?) might be the perfect storm setup. SJ has an awful lot of talented players it could send back for Crosby. They have a talented core that just can't seem to get it done in the crunch and there has been specualtion of a remake of that teams' core for the last several offseasons. They would certainly have the horses to move for Crosby and still have a stable left over to field a competitive team after the move.

Granted, I don't see Crosby going anywhere unless the trade offer was of the "offer that you can't refuse" variety. Call it, (E5).

It would certainly take an ideal storm to pry Crosby from Pittsburgh, but I have to wonder if a team like SJ (or maybe Van?) might be the perfect storm setup. SJ has an awful lot of talented players it could send back for Crosby. They have a talented core that just can't seem to get it done in the crunch and there has been specualtion of a remake of that teams' core for the last several offseasons. They would certainly have the horses to move for Crosby and still have a stable left over to field a competitive team after the move.

Granted, I don't see Crosby going anywhere unless the trade offer was of the "offer that you can't refuse" variety. Call it, (E5).

What is (E5)?

Edit: Nevermind, google answered me. I wish it hadn't.

I'm not sure Mario is cold hearted enough to allow it to happen. Do you trade the face of the league and franchise, your captain, and the guy who lived in your house? Not likely.

Staal is the one who will cash in.

It would take alot of High Draft picks (and GM's), along with top level prospects and maybe a couple of roster players to even consider a deal. Trading to either SJ or Vancouver for some of their stars isn't going to work unless they can match contracts. Theres still a Salary cap and if the reason they would even consider such a dumb move for their franchise and move him was to free up space, they need to bring back less salary which would be done in prospects and picks

It would take alot of High Draft picks (and GM's), along with top level prospects and maybe a couple of roster players to even consider a deal. Trading to either SJ or Vancouver for some of their stars isn't going to work unless they can match contracts. Theres still a Salary cap and if the reason they would even consider such a dumb move for their franchise and move him was to free up space, they need to bring back less salary which would be done in prospects and picks

Are you looking to debate me over what a perfect storm looks like?

All I am saying is, if ever there was a team with the resources to move and (very potentially) the motive to make that deal it might be SJ right now. That's all. Seeing as it is a very unlikely happening I have no desire to debate hypothetical deal structures.

Archived