Leino's comments in Buffalo News!

deluca67

http://www.buffalone...ticle822146.ece

Very interesting, another player seemingly questioning the head coach in public.

"There was a lot of pieces that were kind of out of place," Leino said. "Also, they've got to work with what they were given. We have a lot of good players and we're a good team, which we proved at the end. We just didn't get that chemistry and all that right away at the start, and it was probably too late.

Yes, but the guy showed a lack of intensity and was easily the worst player this year in a Sabres jersey, thats not even getting into the whole 'I can play center' ######. The guy needs to step up and stop complaining. I've no doubt there might be some truth in what he says but coming from him I'm less inclined to believe it.

Yes, but the guy showed a lack of intensity and was easily the worst player this year in a Sabres jersey, thats not even getting into the whole 'I can play center' ######. The guy needs to step up and stop complaining. I've no doubt there might be some truth in what he says but coming from him I'm less inclined to believe it.

Right. While I do respect Leino's honesty, i just can't put too much stock into it. He looked flat so often. He scored 6 goals in like 68 games. He had power play time and failed to produce. Great players can over come adversity. He couldn't. I do think there's deeper problems here but our biggest problem as a team is lack of mental toughness and inability to overcome adversity. And Leino showed he's the king of that.

I hope Leino and Roy have talked themselves out of a job.

Nah, it's Buffalo... not like a "normal" team where there's an expectation of performance and jobs are on the line. Getting a job with the Sabres is like getting civil service union job - put your 20-25 years in and collect a gold watch and a cushy pension - doesn't matter if you do a good job or bad here. Just ask Ruff and Regier

I hope Leino and Roy have talked themselves out of a job.

Nah, it's Buffalo... not like a "normal" team where there's an expectation of performance and jobs are on the line. Getting a job with the Sabres is like getting civil service union job - put your 20-25 years in and collect a gold watch and a cushy pension - doesn't matter if you do a good job or bad here. Just ask Ruff and Regier

He'll probably be talked to behind closed doors to be fair, Ruffs already apologised once for calling out players and Regier has already replied to Leino's comments. Its true to say this team does need a better, mentally tougher, attitude.

The thing is Ruff had over 1000 PIM's in his career and is known as a yelling, harsh coach. How come the team seem to fragile/immature mentally?

Is anything he said inaccurate? He's right, he was playing out of position out of necessity, and the team clearly suffered for a lack of balance and talent. He started feeling more comfortable and playing better midway through the season, roughly around the time the team was healthy and a more balanced lineup emerged. It's refereshing to hear some honesty but I don't think anything he said is shocking or inflammatory.

FWIW, the article ends with this quote from Leino, which is an undeniably true self-assessment:

"There was a lot of things that I need to do better next year."

I'm not a huge fan of this guy, but let's remember he has a different perspective than most of the other players on this team.

He was part of two successful franchises whith coaches that won Stanley Cups. The "core" of this team has only played under Ruff's system.

Lets face it Ruff aint going nowhere and neither is this team until he is gone.

Is anything he said inaccurate? He's right, he was playing out of position out of necessity, and the team clearly suffered for a lack of balance and talent. He started feeling more comfortable and playing better midway through the season, roughly around the time the team was healthy and a more balanced lineup emerged. It's refereshing to hear some honesty but I don't think anything he said is shocking or inflammatory.

FWIW, the article ends with this quote from Leino, which is an undeniably true self-assessment:

Thats the way I see his comments also. i won't apologize for Leino but I think the only thing he's guilty of is being brutally honest. He does own it at the end with the comments punch has highlighted. Lindy may not have 'officially ' lost the room this past season but based on some of the players comments post season he's walking a fine line already into next season. Hopefully a sea change in attitude sweeps through this lineup.

The is starting to look like an even more dysfunctional team than I thought.

You can play the blame game all you want, but regardless who's to blame, it appears nobody's on the same page here.

Regier acquires players Ruff can't coach.

Ruff calls out players in public.

Players return the favor.

Trainwreck.

You can play the blame game all you want, but regardless who's to blame, it appears nobody's on the same page here.

Trainwreck.

While I might disagree with why I do agree the Sabres organisation appears to be a complete disaster at the moment, no-one seems to be owning up and there seems to be no sense of 'team'. I'd expect even Regier to perform some sort of shake up this offseason, he can't be happy with this, especially as he wanted to turn this into a place players would like to come to. I don't know about anyone else but I can't see that image at the moment.

Also anyone see the bit about Regier blaming PR for no press conference?

Trainwreck.

Yea. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I think there's a whole lot of blame to go around on both sides, players and management. Don't forget, Leino came from the Flyers - obviously, their team work ethic (and "teamwork" ethic) are far above that of the Sabres. I hate to hold up the Flyers as a model (well, actually I just hate them, period), but you can't argue that their formula works. I think Leino thought he was going to be used a certain way before he actually arrived in Buffalo and when he was (ab)used another way, his play suffered.

Right now, I put almost no stock in anything that comes out of the Sabres front office OR the locker room. The dysfunction is nearly palpable, and the unfortunate owner is either too far removed or too starstruck to do what needs to be done. It will be a very interesting draft this year - we will know soon enough what direction next season's team will be heading.

He was playing out of position because he told the team, before they signed him, that he wanted to and would play center. He created that "necessity."

I like how everyone is shooting the messenger here. This isn't the first time we've heard a player say that they had to think too much and that they just wanted to go out and play hockey.

Fair enough. He shouldn't be with a team where he's forced to play a system, then. He probably knew that before coming here, too.

Obviously, Darcy didn't do his due diligence with Leino--but now, I don't think Leino did his due diligence with the Sabres, either.

Goose was on SiriusXM NHL radio this morning and was asked about the difference between Barry Trotz and Lindy. He said that they are similar. Both are honest and direct and will tell you exactly what you need to get done on the ice. If you do it you get your minutes and if you don't you see the ice less. Of course you never get the truth in an interview, but I though he could have easily said that Trotz is easier to play for, fairer, etc. He did not.

Personally, I don't think Ville said anything too controversial. He came to a new system and struggled to learn it, which maybe isn't all that surprising.

Forwards typically have their worst years statistically when signing a free agent deal to play elsewhere (I'm referring of course to players who actually produce in the first place, not 4th liners). New system, new teammates, and in Leino's case, new position. It's not surprising he struggled, although even I expected more than what he produced.

I do think the part about wanting a defined role is very important. I want the team to be constructed in a way that that's possible, flipping guys all over the place all the time I don't think is the best way to do things. Consistent lines and roles were established in the latter part of the season when things were going well. Any changes made this offseason I want made with an eye towards clearly defined roles and constructing lines which can be consistently held together.

Lastly, I find it deliciously amusing that players don't like being called out in public...and then proceed to call out their coach in public. Is this grammar school? "BUT MOOOOOOM, HE STARTED IT!" Seriously grow up.

Forwards typically have their worst years statistically when signing a free agent deal to play elsewhere (I'm referring of course to players who actually produce in the first place, not 4th liners). New system, new teammates, and in Leino's case, new position. It's not surprising he struggled, although even I expected more than what he produced.

I do think the part about wanting a defined role is very important. I want the team to be constructed in a way that that's possible, flipping guys all over the place all the time I don't think is the best way to do things. Consistent lines and roles were established in the latter part of the season when things were going well. Any changes made this offseason I want made with an eye towards clearly defined roles and constructing lines which can be consistently held together.

Lastly, I find it deliciously amusing that players don't like being called out in public...and then proceed to call out their coach in public. Is this grammar school? "BUT MOOOOOOM, HE STARTED IT!" Seriously grow up.

Lol, hadn't thought about that... Good point.

It was said in the Boyes article on WGR's website that certain players have been misused or had no clear role.

He was playing out of position because he told the team, before they signed him, that he wanted to and would play center. He created that "necessity."

Fair enough. He shouldn't be with a team where he's forced to play a system, then. He probably knew that before coming here, too.

Obviously, Darcy didn't do his due diligence with Leino--but now, I don't think Leino did his due diligence with the Sabres, either.

I disagree--- the "necessity" was an utterly bare cupboard at the center position amongst free agents and within the Sabres organization not that Ville Leino hoodwinked Darcy and Lindy. This season, the complete forward group was unbalanced and not talented enough. Trying an experiment at center with a player new to the team and system and then repeatedly shuffling the entire lineup due to injury and inadequate results was an experiment that ultimately failed.

For the second half of the year Leino was among the better Sabres' forwards: he proved to be key at puck retrieval, puck possession and generally flourished in his brief turn as the replacement at center for Goose--- but he didn't put the puck in the net. However...

The above says it better than I can.

Early in the season, we saw chemistry issues with the new additions in the D corps. The forward group as a whole had difficulty playing as a cohesive unit until late in the year when roles were gradually filled by callups, trade, etc. and the lineup became more fully fleshed out. It's no coincidence that Leino's play improved after the team gradually became healthy and Ennis was moved to center, Hodgson was acquired and Foligno was brought up.

I don't hate to say it..

He's right. And if he's willing to say it it's because he's the new guy and has little to worry about right now. If he's willing to say it we can almost be assured other's are thinking it.

First, Ruff flips the lines far too often. Has anyone thought otherwise? Hell, we were hoping against hope at the end of the season that he would not pull Foligno from the line.

Second, the players have to "think" too much. Not surprising. We've heard it from others, we see it on the ice. There's all kinds of discussion about the defensive zone coverages. Ruff even mentioned it about not putting Ennis at center. He was worried about the defensive zone coverage. After the all-star break the team changed it's strategy. It seemed more natural on the ice, more flow to their play. It didn't seem so damn calculating. Either that's Ruff's system and they got it or he let off a bit and they played. I'll go with him letting off a bit since many of the team have been there for years and should know his system inside and out.

Third, he was misused. He played center rather well at the end and as he said it was possibly because he had grown more accustomed to the system.

Finally, stating he's wrong simply because he didn't produce is a bit short sighted. The entire team underproduced and so you'd expect that to impact him. He was out of the lineup for awhile, so that slows chemistry building, and he was bounced around. He played in Philly and can clearly speak to a more successful strategy than the Sabres have. Keep in mind that's a team that needed more out of its forwards and defensemen due to goaltending concerns and got it.

Bottom line, I see nothing wrong with his statements and I'm glad he made them.

Oh, and as for chastising him for calling out the coach when other players don't like being called out, that's inane. He never claimed to have a problem with it. If Roy said it, that would be another story. Don't attribute Roy's problems to Leino.

Archived