Leino's comments in Buffalo News!

deluca67

I really doubt Leino is buried in the minors....2 million for one season is different to 4.5 for 5 seasons....

I don't think there is anything wrong with Ruff getting annoyed that Briere didn't play defence, he is a coach, just because he says back check as well as score does not mean he does not appreciate Briere's talent. There is simply no excuse to not backcheck. Hecht was the sole reason breire did not give up as many as he scored.

As for Drury vs Briere. Briere said he would have taken 5x5 in January, at that time Regeir did not extend people mid-season, he still doesn't really. Secondly, it was very obvious that someone said we could only keep one. Drury was the obvious pick for that (most fans agreed) he was the more responsible player, scored clutch goals and seemed like the better leader (who knows if that was the case). In hind sight, yes Briere would have been better, by a long way. But oh well. Let's move on from black sunday.

Erhoff did not have that bad a year in my opinion, he was solid, i was not scared when he was on the ice and he was calm and in control it seemed. Plus i like his slapshot. As for Leino, i think he will be better next season, plus, i think if we can find the right line mates he will be useful - his ability to keep the puck and fight for it in the corners is the best on this team, bar none.

I get the impression that Leino wishes to be elsewhere. It's possible he is sitting home watching the Flyers move on to the second round and is regretting taking the money. That would, if true, not be an indication that all is well in "Hockey Heaven." I wonder what effect it could possibly have on free-agent signings?

It's just one article and could easily be dismissed. Add it to the Roy comments and the insinuation (from WGR) that it is more than one or two players, it becomes something not easily ignored.

Do we need any other reason to want Regier and Ruff gone other than finally putting the Drury/Briere conversation to rest?

I really doubt Leino is buried in the minors....2 million for one season is different to 4.5 for 5 seasons....

I don't think there is anything wrong with Ruff getting annoyed that Briere didn't play defence, he is a coach, just because he says back check as well as score does not mean he does not appreciate Briere's talent. There is simply no excuse to not backcheck. Hecht was the sole reason breire did not give up as many as he scored.

As for Drury vs Briere. Briere said he would have taken 5x5 in January, at that time Regeir did not extend people mid-season, he still doesn't really. Secondly, it was very obvious that someone said we could only keep one. Drury was the obvious pick for that (most fans agreed) he was the more responsible player, scored clutch goals and seemed like the better leader (who knows if that was the case). In hind sight, yes Briere would have been better, by a long way. But oh well. Let's move on from black sunday.

Erhoff did not have that bad a year in my opinion, he was solid, i was not scared when he was on the ice and he was calm and in control it seemed. Plus i like his slapshot. As for Leino, i think he will be better next season, plus, i think if we can find the right line mates he will be useful - his ability to keep the puck and fight for it in the corners is the best on this team, bar none.

2 comments on the bolded.

1. Briere wanted 5x5 in the summer. After the season he'd been putting up, why would he still sign for that same amount? His camp was floating that that was what he wanted mid-year, but it sounds fishy to me.

2. DR had a deal worked on in late October (you know, mid-season) with Drury. The fallacy that the Sabres wouldn't negotiate mid-season was by '06-'07 simply that - a fallacy.

2 comments on the bolded.

1. Briere wanted 5x5 in the summer. After the season he'd been putting up, why would he still sign for that same amount? His camp was floating that that was what he wanted mid-year, but it sounds fishy to me.

2. DR had a deal worked on in late October (you know, mid-season) with Drury. The fallacy that the Sabres wouldn't negotiate mid-season was by '06-'07 simply that - a fallacy.

What deal? We offered him the same contract as the Rags and he said no. Maybe he was told he could only keep one and decided to wait till the end of the season to see who to go for and got burnt?

Briere didn't sign for 5x5 he signed for 52 over 8?

What deal? We offered him the same contract as the Rags and he said no. Maybe he was told he could only keep one and decided to wait till the end of the season to see who to go for and got burnt?

Briere didn't sign for 5x5 he signed for 52 over 8?

The search function is your friend. The October deal that sat on TG's desk has been discussed to great lengths here.

Not sure which way you're going w/ the Briere contract comment.

The search function is your friend. The October deal that sat on TG's desk has been discussed to great lengths here.

Not sure which way you're going w/ the Briere contract comment.

We will never truely know what happened, all we know is that we lost both players. No point in crying over spilt milk or spending 10 years trying to work out exactly why the milk got spilled, to labour the analogy.

I get the impression that Leino wishes to be elsewhere. It's possible he is sitting home watching the Flyers move on to the second round and is regretting taking the money. That would, if true, not be an indication that all is well in "Hockey Heaven." I wonder what effect it could possibly have on free-agent signings?

It's just one article and could easily be dismissed. Add it to the Roy comments and the insinuation (from WGR) that it is more than one or two players, it becomes something not easily ignored.

Do we need any other reason to want Regier and Ruff gone other than finally putting the Drury/Briere conversation to rest?

And its not an indication that anything is seriously wrong in "Hockey heaven" also. I'm sure if I was at home watching my former team beat up on a rival and become one of the favorites to win the cup the year that i left, I would also regret leaving for the money too, How many wouldn't? And one offseason where the owner ran around begging 2 players to come sign here or accept a trade doesn't make this "Hockey heaven", and a desirable place for FA's to sign. It will take more then one offseason to get a reputation that this is the place you come to to win championships. Just cause the owner comes up with a dumb name for the team/area doesn't mean its true.

The no goal of 99 still comes up here every now and again, the Peca situation still comes up. Getting rid of R&R will not put that god forsaken conversation to rest, that requires an ability to let go of old ###### that most don't seem to possess...

And its not an indication that anything is seriously wrong in "Hockey heaven" also. I'm sure if I was at home watching my former team beat up on a rival and become one of the favorites to win the cup the year that i left, I would also regret leaving for the money too, How many wouldn't? And one offseason where the owner ran around begging 2 players to come sign here or accept a trade doesn't make this "Hockey heaven", and a desirable place for FA's to sign. It will take more then one offseason to get a reputation that this is the place you come to to win championships. Just cause the owner comes up with a dumb name for the team/area doesn't mean its true.

It'll take going deep into the post-season.

Often.

It'll take going deep into the post-season.

Often.

There is exactly one team "where you go to win championships", they share a lake with our Sabres, but they are the only one. There was another, but they play such a boring form of hockey, that they needed to violate the CBA to try and bring in a big time UFA, and they haven't been a contender for nearly a decade.

There is exactly one team "where you go to win championships", they share a lake with our Sabres, but they are the only one. There was another, but they play such a boring form of hockey, that they needed to violate the CBA to try and bring in a big time UFA, and they haven't been a contender for nearly a decade.

Dude.. the Leafs suck. :)

It was said early in the season Leino is a little slow to change, maybe next season will be his. One thing is for certain after these comments, he will be inspected more than most other players by management. I do, however, doubt we'll see him being moved or anything that.

Just to get back on topic.

He's not going anywhere and I'm not sure why people even suggest it. It would take at least another year before it's even considered and by then I would assume it only happens from a different GM.

FIRE LINDY RUFF NOW. DO IT. THE PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE COACH. THEY ARE THE HEART AND SOUL OF THE TEAM. NOT RUFF. FIRE HIM HES DONE NOTHING.

Done, I'll be holding a press conference at 4:00 PM, please turn off your caps lock and tune in to channel 11.

Archived