Leino's comments in Buffalo News!

deluca67

There is whole lotsa irony goin on in here.

Oh, and.....

You hear that Mr. Anderson?... That is the sound of inevitability...

I suspect that, quite legitimately, be aimed at me partially. Am I right?

But the voice isn't that much louder. That's the rub. We think our voice is louder, but it's not. Do the Sabres brass really care what we have to say with regard to front office decisions such as the tenure of Ruff and Regier? Sure, we can ask them for beer holders in the bathrooms but that's about all the power we have via social media.

Fan power lies with ticket sales and nothing else. That is the only way Pegula would hear us. But as long as the fanbase as a whole continues to sell out games and buy tons of season tickets, he's going to do what he wants. Because it's his money and his business plan.

Saying something like "How many more years do we give them?" implies some sort of collective consensus. Some element of control that says we can all agree enough to affect change. The people will rise up and demand that Ruff and Regier be dismissed!

It wont happen. The prospect of potential success is enough to keep people happy and buying tickets and therefore that consensus will not be achieved.

Of course there's discontentment with Ruff and Regier. I don't have any problem with people expressing that frustration. But doing so under the premise of achieving both a universal consensus and then affecting change just irks me. :wacko:

You think if we were happy Golisano would have still sold the team so publicly? How do you think the Leafs got their coach fired? Social media has allowed us to be heard without having to interact directly with the team. Of course they care about what we think and have to say, the difference is they a) have all the facts at their disposal whereas we don't and b) they have more experience and know better than us.

Doesn't mean our opinion isn't heard or isn't valid.

I suspect that, quite legitimately, be aimed at me partially. Am I right?

You think if we were happy Golisano would have still sold the team so publicly? How do you think the Leafs got their coach fired? Social media has allowed us to be heard without having to interact directly with the team. Of course they care about what we think and have to say, the difference is they a) have all the facts at their disposal whereas we don't and b) they have more experience and know better than us.

I think the "Fire Wilson" chants in the arena were the driving force there, not social media. It is one thing to whine about a coach online, it is another to have 20,000 people call him out.

Are you suggesting that Golisano sold the team because of negative fan reactions? There were two main reasons for him getting involved with the Sabres. There was the public service aspect of helping the Buffalo area (and more than likely building his political influence)... but the biggest reason was to turn a profit. His entire purpose for selling was just that, the hefty profit he made through the whole process. The fans had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And as for social media getting Wilson fired in Toronto, if by social media we mean the 19 thousand or so chanting fire Wilson in the arena, then yes, social media got him fired.

Are you suggesting that Golisano sold the team because of negative fan reactions? There were two main reasons for him getting involved with the Sabres. There was the public service aspect of helping the Buffalo area (and more than likely building his political influence)... but the biggest reason was to turn a profit. His entire purpose for selling was just that, the hefty profit he made through the whole process. The fans had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And as for social media getting Wilson fired in Toronto, if by social media we mean the 19 thousand or so chanting fire Wilson in the arena, then yes, social media got him fired.

Social media plays a part in the same way the newspapers ran the UK in the last couple of decades. I'm not saying it was the reason but the guy was getting an awful lot of bad press and he does like his public image. The unrest was there already, as I say social media plays a strong part in our culture, society and politics.

I was going to post my own response, but this says it all.

If this is true - that Golisano was only interested in turning a profit please provide a link - the only reason he bought the team was to keep it in Buffalo, he never intended to be a long term owner. If he wanted to turn the largest profit he possibly could he would have sold the team to Basille or some other out of town owner. I believe at the press conference anouncing the sale he said they turned down an offer that was 70 million higher than Pegula's.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article331944.ece

If this is true - that Golisano was only interested in turning a profit please provide a link - the only reason he bought the team was to keep it in Buffalo, he never intended to be a long term owner. If he wanted to turn the largest profit he possibly could he would have sold the team to Basille or some other out of town owner. I believe at the press conference anouncing the sale he said they turned down an offer that was 70 million higher than Pegula's.

http://www.buffalone...ticle331944.ece

Only my opinion of course, but I cannot believe that Golisano would have bought the team if he did not expect the investment to pay handsomely. He is a businessman first and foremost.

http://www.buffalone...ticle331944.ece

Did you skip the portion of my post where I said he wanted to help Buffalo out? Yeah, you must have. But also, when it comes to Balsillie, that sale was never going to happen. The NHL would never allow it. Golisano's smart business mentality (knowing that such a sale would never be allowed anyway) paired with his desire to help out Buffalo completely ruled out that option.

The whole idea of power is to force somebody to do something. If discontent through social media doesn't force the Sabres' hand, then it doesn't have power.
The power in social media is the amplifying of the fans voice.

i agree with that.

I just wonder if social media has grown beyond the perception yet that it's nothing more than a bunch of teenagers ranting senselessly. Obviously there are other people out there, but it still seems like so much of it is littered with idiots.

a college roommate of mine recently made partner with the firm that does much of the red sox and celts PR work (not all, but a lot). from talking to him, it is clear that all sorts of major brands closely track and monitor their reputation and their consumers' dis-/satisfaction vis-a-vis facebook, twitter, blogs, etc.

as others have mentioned, what they do with that information is another matter.

HAHA im not apologizing dude. that guy always starts with me. ... that guy is most arrogant person ive ever seen in my life. straight up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El1kgCqD7Xk&ob=av3e

Yes, i don't think it is a surprise that these companies track the fans reactions. However, like i said earlier (probably), they are the ones who are more business savy (hockey is for most a business, when someone on these board has made a billion + dollars, i'll start considering they have a better business model than TP) and more in the know. The internet might be a way to amplify your voice, but it is also quite remote from the world of hockey, the only way fans will be heard is through a) not paying for tickets/merchandise and hitting the team in the wallets or B) through 'disruption' (20,000 chants of fire wilson, would be an example of this)

Having 1000 people walk to first niagara and chant fire Ruff/Reiger/Sabertooth would have a stronger impact than 100,000 fans across the internet posting on forums saying how annoyed they are. The internet is good, but it is rarely a place of intellectual thought through and thoughtful comments, thus it is easy to dismiss. If people are desperate to invoke change, they should do something about it. It is literally that simple. And in case you misunderstood everything i just said, grumbling about a GM anonymously on the internet is not doing something about the situation.

I think the "Fire Wilson" chants in the arena were the driving force there, not social media. It is one thing to whine about a coach online, it is another to have 20,000 people call him out.

I was at that game in Toronto, it was only a small group in the arena chanting, the fact that the arena was silent cause the Leafs were getting beat made it sound louder on TV.

And the Team didn't fire Wilson because the fans chanted it at a game, Leafs fans have been begging the team to fire Wilson since his first season in TO. The fact that they dropped from being in the playoffs to fighting for the #1 pick and burke having to do something to try and keep his job is why he was fired. Saying it was because of the chant is Burke just coming up with an excuse

Yes, i don't think it is a surprise that these companies track the fans reactions. However, like i said earlier (probably), they are the ones who are more business savy (hockey is for most a business, when someone on these board has made a billion + dollars, i'll start considering they have a better business model than TP) and more in the know. The internet might be a way to amplify your voice, but it is also quite remote from the world of hockey, the only way fans will be heard is through a) not paying for tickets/merchandise and hitting the team in the wallets or B) through 'disruption' (20,000 chants of fire wilson, would be an example of this)

Having 1000 people walk to first niagara and chant fire Ruff/Reiger/Sabertooth would have a stronger impact than 100,000 fans across the internet posting on forums saying how annoyed they are. The internet is good, but it is rarely a place of intellectual thought through and thoughtful comments, thus it is easy to dismiss. If people are desperate to invoke change, they should do something about it. It is literally that simple. And in case you misunderstood everything i just said, grumbling about a GM anonymously on the internet is not doing something about the situation.

The move had more to do with the teams collapse from being in the playoffs to fighting for the #1 pick, and Burke doing whatever he could to save his job then the fans at the arena chanting. The leafs haven't made the playoffs since the lockout, Burke was brought in to remake the team into SC contenders, so far the results haven't been any different

I may disagree slightly with the first half i do agree with the bolded part completely. Luckily I think most people on this board don't genuinely think they could do any better given the job, so grumbling anonymously is satisfactory. :D

I was at that game in Toronto, it was only a small group in the arena chanting, the fact that the arena was silent cause the Leafs were getting beat made it sound louder on TV.

And the Team didn't fire Wilson because the fans chanted it at a game, Leafs fans have been begging the team to fire Wilson since his first season in TO. The fact that they dropped from being in the playoffs to fighting for the #1 pick and burke having to do something to try and keep his job is why he was fired. Saying it was because of the chant is Burke just coming up with an excuse

The move had more to do with the teams collapse from being in the playoffs to fighting for the #1 pick, and Burke doing whatever he could to save his job then the fans at the arena chanting. The leafs haven't made the playoffs since the lockout, Burke was brought in to remake the team into SC contenders, so far the results haven't been any different

Whilst it is possible that burke was looking for an excuse to fire Wilson, although i don't think that theory holds any water. However, the fans had been grumbling for months about Wilson and the day after the chants he is fired with Burke saying it would be "Cruel and unusual punishment to ask Wilson to coach another game" is quite telling of what was the catalyst to the firing

Agree completely. Complaining on an internet forum or clicking your mouse twice to sign an online petition are very low-cost and easy activities, and thus don't provide a strong signal. Relatively speaking, an actual protest (or hell, actually collecting a real petition with real signatures) is a high-cost activity which will send a signal that not only are you displeased, but you're willing to do something about it.

Whilst it is possible that burke was looking for an excuse to fire Wilson, although i don't think that theory holds any water. However, the fans had been grumbling for months about Wilson and the day after the chants he is fired with Burke saying it would be "Cruel and unusual punishment to ask Wilson to coach another game" is quite telling of what was the catalyst to the firing

Wilson wasn't popular, Burke needed to save his job and a bunch of other factors came into play, they'll have a new coach every season until they make the playoffs.

The point I'm making is that Pegula's doesn't care if we want Ruff and Regier gone. He's a businessman who's plan seems to be to let them prove what they can do. The three year plan is in place. Expecting anything to change in the meantime is essentially using your head to beat a wall down.

...and an unwillingness to believe that they already have.

Lucky for him, Darcy wowed me with the Gaustad and Hodgson deals and Lindy is a ###### GEM at press conferences.

I can get behind firing Sabretooth. Never liked that POS.

...and an unwillingness to believe that they already have.

Lucky for him, Darcy wowed me with the Gaustad and Hodgson deals and Lindy is a ###### GEM at press conferences.

Will has nothing to do with it. It's strategy. You see a GM and a coach that have had moderate success over the years and say "okay, now we'll see what they do under my ownership." That gives Pegula a baseline for the lowest risk. How Ruff and Regier do in this next year or so will determine Pegula's strategy for the future and allow him to figure out what he wants in a GM and coach. For all we know Pegula winds up canning them sooner than planned. But you have to start somewhere. His strategy is to start with the safe bet.

Will has nothing to do with it. It's strategy. You see a GM and a coach that have had moderate success over the years and say "okay, now we'll see what they do under my ownership." That gives Pegula a baseline for the lowest risk. How Ruff and Regier do in this next year or so will determine Pegula's strategy for the future and allow him to figure out what he wants in a GM and coach. For all we know Pegula winds up canning them sooner than planned. But you have to start somewhere. His strategy is to start with the safe bet.

Good spin. Quality stuff. ;) But like I said, I like what I've seen from both Ruff and Regier SINCE Pegula came here so I'm OK with them staying another year.

Good spin. Quality stuff. ;) But like I said, I like what I've seen from both Ruff and Regier SINCE Pegula came here so I'm OK with them staying another year.

Hey, someone has to try and look at the bright side of things. :angel:

I like what I've seen too. The Leino contract, which in my mind has not reached the stage of judgment, was an aggressive move by a GM trying to prove himself. It was high risk, something we're not used to from Darcy. I put myself in Pegula's shoes and I'm okay with what I see at the moment.

a college roommate of mine recently made partner with the firm that does much of the red sox and celts PR work (not all, but a lot). from talking to him, it is clear that all sorts of major brands closely track and monitor their reputation and their consumers' dis-/satisfaction vis-a-vis facebook, twitter, blogs, etc.

Are these partners able to distinguish between 5000 people making an unhappy comment and 1 person complaining 5000 times?

Archived