Leino's comments in Buffalo News!

deluca67

http://www.buffalone...ticle822146.ece

Very interesting, another player seemingly questioning the head coach in public.

"There was a lot of pieces that were kind of out of place," Leino said. "Also, they've got to work with what they were given. We have a lot of good players and we're a good team, which we proved at the end. We just didn't get that chemistry and all that right away at the start, and it was probably too late.

I still don't get where he is ripping into the coach in this quote, if anything, he is defending him and blaming the GM more, unless you assume that a coach should be able to make everyone a great player.

All I am getting from this is that at the start, they struggled to figure out where everyone works best and the chemistry wasn't there.

As for blaming Leino, in the article he mentions about not wanting to play Centre, which was why he was brought in here, because he said he had played a bit in Finland. Sounds like someone just saying what they wanted to hear to get a big contract.

But I guess of course that if your agenda is all about changing the coach, you can interpret every word he said as blaming the coach and there being a problem in the locker room. Of course there are problems and faults with every part of this team this year, if there wasn't, they would still be playing right now. The magic fix isn't always to just throw the coach out cause something went wrong......

Goose isn't going to throw any associated with hockey under the bus right now, he's on the verge of cashing in...gulp...upwards of $20 million dollars.

And maybe get Kellie Pickler in the deal (or some other Nashville hottie).

Leino and Ehrhoff for that matter, both had typical first seasons for high-priced, high-expectation free agents. Happens all the time and in every sport.

Here's another thing that happens much of the time: those same big-money free agents have very good seasons after the pressure of their initial season is gone. It's no wonder that they both started playing better towards the end. It bodes well for next year. I'll go on record and say they will both have the kind of season we expected from them this year.

Also, I saw very little indictment of Ruff in his comments. But I'm not surprised that Sullivan and the usual suspects around here saw little but that in his quotes.

GO SABRES!!!

Leino and Ehrhoff for that matter, both had typical first seasons for high-priced, high-expectation free agents. Happens all the time and in every sport.

Here's another thing that happens much of the time: those same big-money free agents have very good seasons after the pressure of their initial season is gone. It's no wonder that they both started playing better towards the end. It bodes well for next year. I'll go on record and say they will both have the kind of season we expected from them this year.

Also, I saw very little indictment of Ruff in his comments. But I'm not surprised that Sullivan and the usual suspects around here saw little but that in his quotes.

GO SABRES!!!

I thought Ehrhoff played very well this season. He was solid in his own end and his low (ish) numbers were more due to the overall suckage of the Sabres forwards than any suckage from him.

Goose isn't going to throw any associated with hockey under the bus right now, he's on the verge of cashing in...gulp...upwards of $20 million dollars.

If his agent plays it right, he should make bank.

It is a thin UFA market. And except for an icing mistake that cost his team a goal, he was a major impediment to Detroit's puck possession game. Teams in the West will take notice.

The is starting to look like an even more dysfunctional team than I thought.

You can play the blame game all you want, but regardless who's to blame, it appears nobody's on the same page here.

Regier acquires players Ruff can't coach.

Ruff calls out players in public.

Players return the favor.

Trainwreck.

sounds like the red sox this year.

Of course I have to go and read this right after reading that Shopp blog on this site's home page....where Shopp reminds us about Briere and Ruff butting heads and Ruff complaining about Briere's lack of responsible play in his own zone.....as Danny scores the goal that puts him ahead of the entire Buffalo Sabres organization in playoff goals scored since he left for Philadelphia....this Leino thing...what a mess...

An average team that probably should have made the playoffs is asked why they didn't.

Leino talked about being out of sync and pieces being out of place.

While I would have liked to see him take more personal responsibility, I can't really disagree, particularly in his case.

But this equals train wreck? Disaster? Dysfunctional?

Hyperbole anyone?

Of course I have to go and read this right after reading that Shopp blog on this site's home page....where Shopp reminds us about Briere and Ruff butting heads and Ruff complaining about Briere's lack of responsible play in his own zone.....as Danny scores the goal that puts him ahead of the entire Buffalo Sabres organization in playoff goals scored since he left for Philadelphia....this Leino thing...what a mess...

That was written as if there was something wrong with a coach telling a forward to be responsible in his own zone.

Isn't that what coaches do? Keep people responsible on their back-check assignments.

That was written as if there was something wrong with a coach telling a forward to be responsible in his own zone.

Isn't that what coaches do? Keep people responsible on their back-check assignments.

No, it was written in a completely different context and you know it.

No, it was written in a completely different context and you know it.

I think I got it exactly right. IMO that is something worth butting heads about.

"and my thoughts are drifting to the dozen or so times Paul Hamilton told us of Ruff and Briere butting heads about Danny's reliability in his own zone."

I think I got it exactly right. IMO that is something worth butting heads about.

"and my thoughts are drifting to the dozen or so times Paul Hamilton told us of Ruff and Briere butting heads about Danny's reliability in his own zone."

Like Chimp, I got a different context as well. But I think that context was flawed. If I remember correctly Ruff wanted Briere to stay over Drury. If that is true, Schoop's premise that Ruff was part of the decision to let Briere walk (presumably because Briere wasn't a Ruff type of player) is inaccurate.

The larger picture, though, and I guess you don't see it so I'll tell you, is that constantly butting heads with a Daniel Briere over something like that, rather than realizing what extremely valuable things he offers your team in the opposition's zone, and simply fixing the problem of defensive coverage with a different plan for your defensemen when Briere is on the ice....and then seeing Briere get no contract when he would have taken 4 million....then seeing Briere walk away and hearing that Lindy had chosen Drury in the whole "we can only keep one" game...all I'm saying is, these things do speak of a micromanager with a grudge problem that ends up hurting the team..It's possible, no?

Like Chimp, I got a different context as well. But I think that context was flawed. If I remember correctly Ruff wanted Briere to stay over Drury. If that is true, Schoop's premise that Ruff was part of the decision to let Briere walk (presumably because Briere wasn't a Ruff type of player) is inaccurate.

You remember correctly, and Ruff wanted Briere here very badly. Quinn didn't want to pay the 5x5, and Regier didn't put up a fight.

Even on his radio show tonight, Schopp said he was "assuming," his word, that Ruff had a hand in the Briere decision. I don't know if he has a hand in any personnel decision, or most decisions, or whatever, but I do know his voice wasn't heard on that one.

I just read it to mean it was evidence the author presents showing that Ruff can annoy his players.

But back-checking is 50% of the game.

I just read it to mean it was evidence the author presents showing that Ruff can annoy his players.

But back-checking is 50% of the game.

It was his theme from 5-630 today, so you could be reading it correctly.

Well, let's hope that Leino just keeps talking like this all summer. Anything to convince Darcy to not wait the obligatory extra year or two to save face from this horrible decision of his and cut Leino loose a-la Morrrissonnnn will only help me with my fantasy roster-making. :ph34r:

Anyone able to call up old news clips that show that Lindy wanted Briere more than Drury because I remember it the other way around.

There are plenty of articles and news bits around with quotes from Ruff and Regier stating that they have no influence over the others decisions. I suspect that has changes since though.

Archived