NHL 2012 Playoffs Thread

thesportsbuff

All thing come around. Brown's time will come. Guy has zero cred around league as he not a accountable guy. Mark my words, the day will come where we be talking about Brown getting his behind handed to him...

I've never really thought of him as a particularly dirty player. He's gritty, skilled, and goes hard. I like him and I wish him well.

In my opinion, Brown is one of those "love to have 'em, hate to play 'em" types. I'll just be completely honest and admit I'd probably want a Sabre to take a run at him if we faced him in a long playoff series. I'm not going to hold his diving against him though, since I see a handful of guys on every team acting like they got hit with a sniper rifle every time another player breaths. For example, there's a .gif somewhere online where Lundqvist is in the butterfly and literally launches himself backwards from a Devil...and the Devil was a good half foot away from even touching him.

In my opinion, Brown is one of those "love to have 'em, hate to play 'em" types. I'll just be completely honest and admit I'd probably want a Sabre to take a run at him if we faced him in a long playoff series. I'm not going to hold his diving against him though, since I see a handful of guys on every team acting like they got hit with a sniper rifle every time another player breaths. For example, there's a .gif somewhere online where Lundqvist is in the butterfly and literally launches himself backwards from a Devil...and the Devil was a good half foot away from even touching him.

around the league perception . He a guy over three years 900 hits, three fights. His rep with players he a guy who plays game with no respect , hit and run artist. Much talk these days about head hits ect. guys not playing the game with respect for each other. Brown classic example. No surprise you play the game hitting with no regard percentages are you going to hit guys with your knee. There is a way to play the game. Brown does not. imo

(hope above not coming across as wise guy, likely should not said it, but like toothpaste once out of tube hard to get back in)

around the league perception . He a guy over three years 900 hits, three fights. His rep with players he a guy who plays game with no respect , hit and run artist. Much talk these days about head hits ect. guys not playing the game with respect for each other. Brown classic example. No surprise you play the game hitting with no regard percentages are you going to hit guys with your knee. There is a way to play the game. Brown does not. imo

Why does he need to fight? The fact he has 900 hits and nly 3 fights would suggest they are clean. I think you are making up a lot of what you say to fit your narrative.

It should not be a suspension, his knee never moves out and the principle point of contact is the shoulder. Furthermore, they were up 3-1 in the series with like a 99% chance of getting through to the finals, why would he risk missing time in his first Stanley cup final for the sake of this play? It just doesn't make sense

Brown is Kaleta with much more skill (and durability.) They're about the same size (not small, but not particularly big), both play hard every shift, both throw a lot of hits that are usually clean (but definitely cross the line on occasion), and both try to draw penalties. Brown simply has much better hands.

Brown in Kaleta with much more skill (and durability.) They're about the same size (not small, but not particularly big), both play hard every shift, both throw a lot of hits that are usually clean (but definitely cross the line on occasion), and both try to draw penalties. Brown simply has much better hands.

I'm not familiar enough with Brown since he's out on the left coast, but Kaleta jumps quite a bit. Maybe he's toned it down a bit recently, but I really can't classify most of his hits as clean.

watching the replay of Browns hit 2 things stand out to me. 1 he extends the elbow at the last second I assume cause he knows he doesn't have a good line to hit himyet still wants to make contact. 2 He doesn't move his knee but if you watch his skating stance he seems to have a overly wide stance coming into the hit. I think that stance was him making himself as big as possible so that if he missed he would still clip the player with a knee/leg

Thought it caught him in the shin pad just above the skate. However I agree with Barry Melrose who says you should be able to kick it in anyway. Its hard enough to score as it is.

Thought it caught him in the shin pad just above the skate. However I agree with Barry Melrose who says you should be able to kick it in anyway. Its hard enough to score as it is.

If it's a kicking motion does it matter which part of the leg it hits?

I definitely agree you should be able to kick it in...or punch it in for that matter. As long as you don't glove your hand on it and throw it, a goal is a goal as far as I'm concerned. But hey, who needs common sense rules?

Honestly...no idea lol. But hey, it counted so I guess the point is moot.

Assuming Darren Dreger is to be believed, the kicking motion only matters if it goes off the skate. Explains the call to me. Of course, it also shows me that the rule is even dumber than I thought.

In other news that second period was the best period I've seen the rangers play all playoffs. And the Rangers just tie on a goofy bounce. Brodeur is awful tonight.

Assuming Darren Dreger is to be believed, the kicking motion only matters if it goes off the skate. Explains the call to me. Of course, it also shows me that the rule is even dumber than I thought.

In other news that second period was the best period I've seen the rangers play all playoffs. And the Rangers just tie on a goofy bounce. Brodeur is awful tonight.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26338

above is rule 49 regarding kick

watching the replay of Browns hit 2 things stand out to me. 1 he extends the elbow at the last second I assume cause he knows he doesn't have a good line to hit himyet still wants to make contact. 2 He doesn't move his knee but if you watch his skating stance he seems to have a overly wide stance coming into the hit. I think that stance was him making himself as big as possible so that if he missed he would still clip the player with a knee/leg

I agree with you on this. Imo it was a dirty hit but what do I know. The consensus would be different on sabrespace had the fallen player been wearing a sabres jersey.

Has anyone attended game a Madison Square Garden, how does it compare to a Sabre game. Is it loud , fun atmosphere?

MSG is louder and more fun when the game is going well....but equally as morgue-ish when the game is boring or not gong well. So it has a higher high, but the low point is just as bad.

I agree with you on this. Imo it was a dirty hit but what do I know. The consensus would be different on sabrespace had the fallen player been wearing a sabres jersey.

That may be the truest thing I've ever seen somebody say in my time on this forum.

Personally I think the hit was borderline *at best* and I certainly would have no issues if a suspension had been given.

I will say from the limited play I have ever seen of Brown I would say the hit was out of character and that it was reckless at best and intent to injure at worst. Having said that there is little on the sabres I wouldn't offer to get him on this team.

What a finish to that game. In fact, what a game as a whole--really entertaining from start to finish. This game just proves the Rangers don't NEED to be boring, they have the horses to play a more open style....but they choose to play in a defensive shell. This was by far their best overall game of the series, and it was prompted by being in a big hole. If they played this way all the time I think my analysis of their Cup chances would have been much more favorable. To win the Cup, at some point you need to be able to impose your will on the other team....if you constantly play coin-flip hockey, it's eventually going to start landing the wrong way.

Archived