NHL 2012 Playoffs Thread

thesportsbuff

You forgot about the regular season to playoffs exchange rate.

At that rate Lucic would have got $2,500 given to him by Miler.

I don't know about that - you may get a huge TV audience in the Tri-state area, but I don't know how well the Kings TV ratings would be if they made the Finals. The problem may be that the huge area between the coasts (and likely all of Canada) would give a collective yawn for an LA-Rangers Final. Actually, none of the four teams left excite me at all (and the rest of the US and Canada may feel the same). My only rooting interest is that the Cup goes to either the Devils or Blueshirts; If LA or Phoenix wins, that's one more team that got a Cup before the Sabres. (The list is pretty short already). Pretty sad reason to root for (or against) a team, but it is what it is.

Not saying your wrong but this year had the best first three weeks playoff TV ratings since 1998. Ratings dropped in Canada from 2.1 to 1.4 mill or so after the Canadian teams dropped out but still good.

Interest drops if your team is not in the playoffs. Yet, we're watching, aren't we?

WNY* is an exceptional market when it comes to watching non-hometown-team hockey on the tee-vee. We were the #2 market for this year's Winter Classic, and we didn't have a dog in that fight.

*To include people of WNY, but not in WNY.

WNY* is an exceptional market when it comes to watching non-hometown-team hockey on the tee-vee. We were the #2 market for this year's Winter Classic, and we didn't have a dog in that fight.

*To include people of WNY, but not in WNY.

That's because we just love hockey. There are also a LOT of younger Buffalonians that are fans of not just the Sabres but other teams and players as well, a trend that we have been seeing across the league since the lockout. It's already pretty common practice in sports like Basketball and Baseball to like other teams and players besides your favorite team, and I think Buffalo is a hotbed for that as far as Hockey goes. Sabres fans who like the Blackhawks and Kane, or Crosby, or Ovechkin, even though they're Sabres fans. I have friends who own jerseys from multiple teams and wear them without shame. I've been considering a Quick jersey for a couple years now.

It's not just about the hometown team in Buffalo.

There are also a LOT of younger Buffalonians that are fans of not just the Sabres but other teams and players as well, a trend that we have been seeing across the league since the lockout. It's already pretty common practice in sports like Basketball and Baseball to like other teams and players besides your favorite team

this is 100% the case. and it makes me feel old like nothing else. a buddy of mine has 3 kids, all boys, the youngest of whom is a bit older than my oldest kid. these boys are perfectly normal kids -- they're great kids, in fact. sure, they like their bills, they like their sabres -- but each of them swears primary and unflinching devotion to teams/athletes outside of our market (the patriots/tom brady; the eagles (not sure why); the penguins/crosby, etc.). i used to try to talk them out of it -- come to realize, this is just how it is. this is the future.

this is 100% the case. and it makes me feel old like nothing else. a buddy of mine has 3 kids, all boys, the youngest of whom is a bit older than my oldest kid. these boys are perfectly normal kids -- they're great kids, in fact. sure, they like their bills, they like their sabres -- but each of them swears primary and unflinching devotion to teams/athletes outside of our market (the patriots/tom brady; the eagles (not sure why); the penguins/crosby, etc.). i used to try to talk them out of it -- come to realize, this is just how it is. this is the future.

A lot of it probably has to do with the level of access available to fans now. I don't think 20 years ago you could know as much about players, or watch as many different players or teams, as you can now. The fact that I can sit down and watch any number of teams on TV every night that aren't the Sabres means greater exposure to other teams. This is why I don't like so many players on the Sabres. My exposure to other teams and their players means I see more players that I like better. It's not just "root for the home town because that's all you have access to" anymore.

We're enabled to step outside that geographic boundary.

That's because we just love hockey. There are also a LOT of younger Buffalonians that are fans of not just the Sabres but other teams and players as well, a trend that we have been seeing across the league since the lockout. It's already pretty common practice in sports like Basketball and Baseball to like other teams and players besides your favorite team, and I think Buffalo is a hotbed for that as far as Hockey goes. Sabres fans who like the Blackhawks and Kane, or Crosby, or Ovechkin, even though they're Sabres fans. I have friends who own jerseys from multiple teams and wear them without shame. I've been considering a Quick jersey for a couple years now.

A lot of it probably has to do with the level of access available to fans now. I don't think 20 years ago you could know as much about players, or watch as many different players or teams, as you can now. The fact that I can sit down and watch any number of teams on TV every night that aren't the Sabres means greater exposure to other teams. This is why I don't like so many players on the Sabres. My exposure to other teams and their players means I see more players that I like better. It's not just "root for the home town because that's all you have access to" anymore.

We're enabled to step outside that geographic boundary.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit.

(I see what you do there with your trademark formatting.)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit.

(I see what you do there with your trademark formatting.)

:lol:

Guest Sloth

LA is a number 8, but not the typical number 8 seen in NHL playoffs. Just think, LA, if they win tonight, could be well on there way to knocking out seeds 1,2 and 3. That is insane! And to think LA could be playing the number 1 seed from the East, if everything works out. Can it get anymore difficult for a team to win a championship? Simply crazy...

LA is deff not a traditional number 8 though. the pacific division was so effin close at the close of the year. phoenix won that division by a point i think. just think how different things might have been if phoenix was the 8 and la was the 3. crazy stuff. either way, LA is a great hungry team. they look great out there. phoenix looks very nervous and jittery, its all LA which is crappy because i like phoenix. but oh well. the best teams always find a way to win. unfortunately, it looks like LA is that team right now.

wow. effin bullspit game. this series is fixed. called all kinds of crap on the coyotes ESPECIALLY the call on vrbata. just wow. the league wants LA to go to the final. the NHL is sickening in how messed up the refs call games. unreal. its all about the money, money hungry bastards. if i was dave tippit id be freakin out, id throw spit on the ice everything. once again HORRIBLE REFS.

LA is hot. What a team. They play a very smart, hard game without any of the BS. It looks like they're the Cup winner this year. And it looks like the Sabres have a loooooonnnng way to go to match that kind of a game.

I didn't pay much attention to them during the regular season, but if they have been playing this way all along, there's hope yet for the NHL. If they can somehow get other teams to play that kind of game, hockey would be better off.

wow. effin bullspit game. this series is fixed. called all kinds of crap on the coyotes ESPECIALLY the call on vrbata. just wow. the league wants LA to go to the final. the NHL is sickening in how messed up the refs call games. unreal. its all about the money, money hungry bastards. if i was dave tippit id be freakin out, id throw spit on the ice everything. once again HORRIBLE REFS.

:blink:

LA is hot. What a team. They play a very smart, hard game without any of the BS. It looks like they're the Cup winner this year. And it looks like the Sabres have a loooooonnnng way to go to match that kind of a game.

I didn't pay much attention to them during the regular season, but if they have been playing this way all along, there's hope yet for the NHL. If they can somehow get other teams to play that kind of game, hockey would be better off.

So does every other team in the NHL, they've lost 1 game so far. utterly incredible.

The excuse of every loser, including the Sabres. Refs may not be brilliant but they aren't the reason the Kings are stampeding the league. Their offense has woken up and they have Jonathan 'unbeatable' Quick in net. Combined with good coaching they will be difficult to stop.

So does every other team in the NHL, they've lost 1 game so far. utterly incredible.

The excuse of every loser, including the Sabres. Refs may not be brilliant but they aren't the reason the Kings are stampeding the league. Their offense has woken up and they have Jonathan 'unbeatable' Quick in net. Combined with good coaching they will be difficult to stop.

What? You mean coaching actually can have a positive effect on the way a team plays? ;)

Archived