NHL 2012 Playoffs Thread

thesportsbuff

I'm sure the Flyers are happy with what they got back. Perhaps they should have asked for Quick. Sometimes you have to roll the dice in order to win the cup or in L.A. s case, make it to the final. If only we had a G.M. like Paul Holmgren who is more concerned with winning the cup than other peoples perception of his trades.

People say this, and to an extent i agree, however, people also rarely think about the downside to rolling the dice. Yes it can work, but would you be happy to miss the playoffs for 3-5 seasons if it did not work? (obviously that would be a pretty drastic roll of the dice, but still you get the point)

People say this, and to an extent i agree, however, people also rarely think about the downside to rolling the dice. Yes it can work, but would you be happy to miss the playoffs for 3-5 seasons if it did not work? (obviously that would be a pretty drastic roll of the dice, but still you get the point)

You're telling this to a fan base with A GM that never rolls the dice and still misses the playoffs 6 out 10 seasons and has only gotten past the first round in 2 out of 10 seasons post Hasek.

You're telling this to a fan base with A GM that never rolls the dice and still misses the playoffs 6 out 10 seasons and has only gotten past the first round in 2 out of 10 seasons post Hasek.

Pretty much what I was thinking in response to what he said. How can the results be any worse under Regier. Its not like he's been successful as a manager and taking a chance might screw up his glorious record.

Pretty much what I was thinking in response to what he said. How can the results be any worse under Regier. Its not like he's been successful as a manager and taking a chance might screw up his glorious record.

Especially when we are waiting on a Stanley Cup Finals between two teams that "rolled the dice" in a big way.

What really irks me when looking at the Kings is that while Sabre fans keep hearing how difficult it is to find centers the Kings went out and acquired two centers on their way to the SCF.

Oh, but wait, he's only had Terry's money for one year!----Just kidding, I couln't agree more.

Also, and I apoligize if it has already appeared elsewhere on the board, but an LA win will make it the 4th year in a row the cup winner started the season in Europe.-----------And with a quirky stat like that we couldn't even get in the dance.

I'm sure the Flyers are happy with what they got back. Perhaps they should have asked for Quick. Sometimes you have to roll the dice in order to win the cup or in L.A. s case, make it to the final. If only we had a G.M. like Paul Holmgren who is more concerned with winning the cup than other peoples perception of his trades.

Did Holmgren win a cup I didn't know about? Do you think Flyer fans are going to look at Carter and Richards possibly hoisting a cup and say "Wow, I'm glad our GM traded these guys."

PTR

Did Holmgren win a cup I didn't know about? Do you think Flyer fans are going to look at Carter and Richards possibly hoisting a cup and say "Wow, I'm glad our GM traded these guys."

PTR

Do fans of other teams pine over traded players as much as Sabre fans do?

Holmgren moved Cart and Richards and got Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks in return. What did Regier get in return for Drury and Briere? I tried to look it up but my browser must not be working, I couldn't find anything.

Guest Sloth

Holmgren moved Cart and Richards and got Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks in return. What did Regier get in return for Drury and Briere? I tried to look it up but my browser must not be working, I couldn't find anything.

And what did Regier give up for Drury and Briere to come to Buffalo?

Especially when we are waiting on a Stanley Cup Finals between two teams that "rolled the dice" in a big way.

What really irks me when looking at the Kings is that while Sabre fans keep hearing how difficult it is to find centers the Kings went out and acquired two centers on their way to the SCF.

Yeah, but those 2 centres are lockerroom cancers who would have destroyed the moral of the lockerroom :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I was all for trying to get those 2 players, and honestly, I think it was a good deal for both teams. The Kings were looking for a spark to get them to the next level. The Flyers were looking to unload some guys that they felt had lockerroom issues, and felt they could move to get younger. They needed some cap space to try and upgrade the goaltending position which had been their biggest weakness. It worked out for both, The Flyers got a good package of young players and picks, and the Kings are going to the SCFs. Both teams took a chance that could have backfired BADLY if things didn't work out the way they did. How much of it was luck and how much was skill we may never know

I'm not saying I was all for trying to get those 2 players, and honestly, I think it was a good deal for both teams. The Kings were looking for a spark to get them to the next level. The Flyers were looking to unload some guys that they felt had lockerroom issues, and felt they could move to get younger. They needed some cap space to try and upgrade the goaltending position which had been their biggest weakness. It worked out for both, The Flyers got a good package of young players and picks, and the Kings are going to the SCFs. Both teams took a chance that could have backfired BADLY if things didn't work out the way they did. How much of it was luck and how much was skill we may never know

You had 2 teams in Philly and LA that were loaded with skill and size.....LA had a little more size/skill ratio though and Philly was a little more skill/size. The trade worked to even it out for them. Columbus was the buffer.

The point being, almost any strong locker room can handle some skill player prima-donna types if they have bold, unquestioned character in there. Roy and Stafford could easily go to another team and win a cup as 2nd/3rd liners. In Buffalo though, THEY are the leaders and their style seems to define the team. There aren't bold leaders, leading in that room.

That's why I don't want to see the Sabres go after Nash. They aren't ready for a player like him. The leadership and character void at the top of the lineup has gone on now for so long.....that is why I clammor for change at GM and coach. It has to be the philosophy. I would much rather have taken a step back in the skill department like a Phoenix or Winnipeg, and build through tough, big bodied, hard-nosed players and bring in a true captain type to setlle things down. When an identity is cemented, THEN you go after your skill guys.

I just see the Sabres as a hamster in a wheel. This post-season is just another sobering reminder. I can only hope and pray Pegula has been watching every minute and possibly re-evaluating if a 100% healthy Sabres team even had a chance in hell. If he falls for the Darcy "See, a 8 and a 6 seed"......then the eventual rebuilding process will be longer and more painful than even I expected.

You had 2 teams in Philly and LA that were loaded with skill and size.....LA had a little more size/skill ratio though and Philly was a little more skill/size. The trade worked to even it out for them. Columbus was the buffer.

The point being, almost any strong locker room can handle some skill player prima-donna types if they have bold, unquestioned character in there. Roy and Stafford could easily go to another team and win a cup as 2nd/3rd liners. In Buffalo though, THEY are the leaders and their style seems to define the team. There aren't bold leaders, leading in that room.

That's why I don't want to see the Sabres go after Nash. They aren't ready for a player like him. The leadership and character void at the top of the lineup has gone on now for so long.....that is why I clammor for change at GM and coach. It has to be the philosophy. I would much rather have taken a step back in the skill department like a Phoenix or Winnipeg, and build through tough, big bodied, hard-nosed players and bring in a true captain type to setlle things down. When an identity is cemented, THEN you go after your skill guys.

I just see the Sabres as a hamster in a wheel. This post-season is just another sobering reminder. I can only hope and pray Pegula has been watching every minute and possibly re-evaluating if a 100% healthy Sabres team even had a chance in hell. If he falls for the Darcy "See, a 8 and a 6 seed"......then the eventual rebuilding process will be longer and more painful than even I expected.

I can't remember who said it or where it was said, but the point about these 6/8 seeds not being normal 6/8 seeds came up. And i really don't like that argument. I accept it for NJD, as they probably would be top 4 seed if they were in another division. However, LA were misfiring all season....just like the Sabres. On paper our roster is pretty decent; that is why people were pissed we missed the playoffs. They thought we should have been there. Had Leino played like he normally does in the playoffs, had Miller picked his game up and Roy refound his game then we would probably have gone far.

I don't think we need a roster overhaul, i think that if we can get rid of some of our clogging fillers, get a more rugged 4th line (a.k.a. no Gerbe on it) and get a player like Brown (who knows maybe Foligno is that guy). Then i think we are alright.

We were the 5th youngest team in the league this year, we have room to grow.

I can't remember who said it or where it was said, but the point about these 6/8 seeds not being normal 6/8 seeds came up. And i really don't like that argument. I accept it for NJD, as they probably would be top 4 seed if they were in another division. However, LA were misfiring all season....just like the Sabres. On paper our roster is pretty decent; that is why people were pissed we missed the playoffs. They thought we should have been there. Had Leino played like he normally does in the playoffs, had Miller picked his game up Not been injured and go into a slump, and Roy refound his game then we would probably have gone far.

I don't think we need a roster overhaul, i think that if we can get rid of some of our clogging fillers, get a more rugged 4th line (a.k.a. no Gerbe on it) and get a player like Brown (who knows maybe Foligno is that guy). Then i think we are alright.

We were the 5th youngest team in the league this year, we have room to grow.

I would say the last few months of the season, Miller picked his game up and was one of the main reasons they came back and had a chance at the 8th spot.......

And its true, some of those teams that made up the lower seeds were just like the Sabres, they underachieved for long stretches and didn't play up to their potential (Caps, Kings), the Devils may have been one spot higher if they seeded the teams by record only, and not give the top spots to the division winners. Thats why its never a bad thing to just get into the playoffs, you never know with a few bounces what can go your way. As I said previously, If they make the 8th seed and Miller is back into form, and Leino looks like Briere in the playoffs, they may have surprised and gone far. Thats why they play the games

With regards to the leino playing like briere thing, maybe his playoff performances (I think at least sometimes on the same line as briere/JVR) were because of him being on that line. What if teams were focused on the other two enough to give leino ample scoring opportunities? I feel like anyone can rack up points on that line come crunch time. Can leino play like that here in buffalo with less offensive talent/speed/aggression? Personally I think he was a product of his surroundings, as even at the end of the year when some were praising his skill of possession on the boards, he still didn't score any more often than other players who get constantly ragged on.

Guest Sloth

As I asked earlier, what did Regier give up for Briere and Drury to come to Buffalo? I guess my browser isn't working either.

I just want to disagree completely about LA "misfiring" all season. They had their ups and downs, but "misfiring" really takes away from just how good that team actually is.

I don't understand why you disagree with the term "misfiring." Everybody pretty much knows how good that team is, and the term "misfiring" implies that they were just working out the kinks or just needed a bit of a push (Dwight King and Jeff Carter).

I don't understand why you disagree with the term "misfiring." Everybody pretty much knows how good that team is, and the term "misfiring" implies that they were just working out the kinks or just needed a bit of a push (Dwight King and Jeff Carter).

Misfiring implies that they spent the whole season sputtering along. Which they did not. They were a good team all year. Now they're even better.

Good post and I agree.

LA was the highest scoring team in the league post deadline. They were a middle of the road team that made the right moves to put them among the top teams. They are most definitely not the same team they were for the first 2/3's of the season.

if the Kings weren't "misfiring" why where they discreetly shopping there captain around? That is kinda the thing you do when your team is malfunctioning badly.

Ah yes a rumor that Brown was being shopped is totally an indicator of that. :rolleyes:

Archived