GDT: Buffalo at Washington (3/27/2012, 7:00 pm)

Doohickie

This is it!!! Can't wait to see what this team is made of!!!....Need to make up for the total no show in game seven of last year's 1st round playoffs.

No disappearing acts from Van, Staff, Roy, and Poms are allowed tonight!!! The so called CORE better show up in a big way!!!

Go Sabres!!!

My opinion is that this is THE defining game for the Regier/Ruff/Miller/Pominville/Roy/Vanek/Stafford regime. Lose this one and the season's playoff dreams are basically over. That would make it FIVE straight seasons since 06-07 where these guys were unable to advance past the first round of the playoffs. At that point, pressure on Pegula to blow it all up will be intense.

Just to quantify the importance of this game: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Northeast/Buffalo.html

Check out the playoff probability swing....47%!

This is it. Massive game. As has been discussed we've got a tough 5 game stretch to end the season (although the leafs are terrible so we'll see). Gonna be a tough, nervous game. Isn't that what we live for though?

Win.

So pumped. Im leaving work here in Baltimore around 1 to do some raping and pilaging before the game.

If anyone is going out before, a healthy contingent of Sabres fans will be at Fado, an Irish pub near the arena. I cant wait to get loud.

Don't forget baby eating. Your raping and pillaging efforts will be for naught without indulging in some baby eating.

They will win

Tropp should stay in, not Gerbe and Kaleta will play

Goaltending and defense will win this for Buff

This team HAS to make the playoffs in order to see a proper evaluation of what to do in the Summer. WHEN they make it, I want Pitt as there will be no better measuring stick to determine how far they are from contending...

Eh, it could change a little bit I suppose. I don't think teams are going to rest their entire lineup. All of those teams are deep enough that even if you rest one or two star players, they're dangerous. Pittsburgh, for one, will definitely be tough, because regardless of playoff positioning, they're going to want to keep getting Crosby acclimated and ready for playoffs.

Philly and Boston may be different stories, but as I said, still very deep and dangerous teams.

Anyway, here is my blog post about tonight's game if anybody is interested: http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=1273

It's not about resting anyone, it's about not wanting people hurt, or bruised when it isn't really necessary.

It's about not reaching that extra inch for a puck, because it puts you in a place you don't want to be. That kind of stuff.

Might mean nothing, but it could also mean the difference between dominating someone or being run over by a hungrier team, yourself.

So excited for this game, this will be my first away sabres game that I will be attending!!!!

My first away Sabres game was at the Verizon center near the end of the 2005-2006 season. We had a week-long class trip to visit the Smithsonian for my Museum Class and It just so happened to be when the Sabres were playing. My whole class got tickets for $5 each. It was awesome. They won too!

This is their biggest test since game 7 vs. Philly. I think this game can fairly be seen as a crossroads -- if they lose, they're probably out of the playoffs, and a significant revamp in the offseason becomes much more likely. If they win, the playoffs are more likely than not to occur, which gives them a shot at winning a round, and that will affect the way they approach the offseason.

Have they turned a corner? Are we going to see a focused, determined effort that includes sharp goaltending, tenacious D AND timely scoring? Or will it be same-old, same-old?

That's why they play the games, innit?

Go Sabres.

Well said.

Game 7.

Yep.

...Time to nut up, or shut up

Truer words have not been spoken and in Hockey vernacular to boot. :worthy: .

I know it has been said playoffs started with this whole climb back into the standings but to me the playoffs really begin for them tonight. And Nfreeman I am totally with you on seeing what team really shows up tonight and yes that is why they play the games.

Let's Go Buff-a-lo.

Based on our remaining schedule, I hereby agree with labeling this game as a "must win." Despite how well the team has played as of late, I'm not sure if they can be counted on to win the majority of six games vs Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto x2, Philadelphia, and Boston. That is downright brutal.

Not necessarily

Ottawa Beat Pittsburgh this weekend 8-4, AND Buffalo have beaten Pittsburgh before this season, they can be beat

Toronto is done this year, they should not be a big worry if the Sabres show up to play

Philly is getting banged up pretty bad, saw a report last night saying Bryz may have left the arena with a limp

Boston will always be tough, but again, Buffalo has beaten them already this year, its not all doom and gloom

As for the team being "blown up" if they fail to make it into the playoffs, Ruff and Regier aren't going anywhere. They will look at the run and say "If we would have been luckier with less injuries this season, we would have won a few more games and would atleast be in the playoffs right now" They will make some tweaks to the roster this off season and be back with a similar roster to what they had this year

Not necessarily

Ottawa Beat Pittsburgh this weekend 8-4, AND Buffalo have beaten Pittsburgh before this season, they can be beat

Toronto is done this year, they should not be a big worry if the Sabres show up to play

Philly is getting banged up pretty bad, saw a report last night saying Bryz may have left the arena with a limp

Boston will always be tough, but again, Buffalo has beaten them already this year, its not all doom and gloom

As for the team being "blown up" if they fail to make it into the playoffs, Ruff and Regier aren't going anywhere. They will look at the run and say "If we would have been luckier with less injuries this season, we would have won a few more games and would atleast be in the playoffs right now" They will make some tweaks to the roster this off season and be back with a similar roster to what they had this year

That's what I think will happen as well. Should Buffalo miss this year, I expect some tweaking for the forwards. Coach, coaching staff and FO remain the same. I think defense is solid and Leopold could be used as "trade bait". Would there be any takers for him? IDK, but he strikes me as serviceable and tradeable....

That's what I think will happen as well. Should Buffalo miss this year, I expect some tweaking for the forwards. Coach, coaching staff and FO remain the same. I think defense is solid and Leopold could be used as "trade bait". Would there be any takers for him? IDK, but he strikes me as serviceable and tradeable....

I can see them re-signing Sulzer (believe he is a UFA?) and using Leopold and/or Weber in a deal for forward help or to move up in the draft (Maybe they use both their #1's and Leopold/Weber to swap with Columbus at the draft for the top spot?)

Words cannot describe how excited I am for this game. This is the moment we all knew was coming this weekend...

Unfortunately the allure of restaurant week have somehow gotten me a reservation at 7pm tonight with a group of friends (not gonna be my friends for long if they keep this up). So I am hoping to come home to the start of the second period where the Sabres are up and dominating. That would make my night...

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/preview.htm?id=2011021144&navid=DL%7CWSH%7Chome

Is this writing for real?

"Washington started the season with seven straight wins, but the Caps didn’t get themselves eight games better than break-even until they defeated the Islanders in New York on March 13. Washington got back to eight games above break-even with its 3-0 shutout win over the Minnesota Wild on Sunday. The Caps can move nine games to the good for the first time this season with a win over the Sabres on Tuesday."

It may be correct but it just reads terribly and who talks like that? Anyone?

Archived