Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

This thread is ripe, and I mean ripe with folks rushing to judgement. These are five or so I just thought I'd pinned together to give a sense of the impatience of a modern day Sabres fan..

Madam Chairworman... I'd like to revise and extend my remarks...

Thanks for compiling those. Nothing against the individual posters...but hockey is a funny game, and the results often don't match the input. In CoHo's first few games, he was making tape to tape passes in the opponent's zone that probably should have rendered several assists. Alas, he had none, and people declared him a bust.

Now, he's playing a very similar game and the pucks happen to be hitting the back of the net.

• Like (+1) 1

Well done

This thread is ripe, and I mean ripe with folks rushing to judgement. These are five or so I just thought I'd pin together to give a sense of the impatience of a modern day Sabres fan..

Madam Chairworman... I'd like to revise and extend my remarks...

I don't understand. All people have to do when circumstances change and make what they said previously appear incorrect, is admit it, and enjoy the team showing you that you might have been unnecessarily pessimistic or judgmental. I find myself doing that lately, and frankly, the feeling of joy at the team's surprising (to me) success far overshadows any embarrassment I might feel for having thrown them under the bus previously. I certainly don't recommend this kind of humility to just anyone, of course. :ph34r:

• Like (+1) 1

I don't understand. All people have to do when circumstances change and make what they said previously appear incorrect, is admit it, and enjoy the team showing you that you might have been unnecessarily pessimistic or judgmental. I find myself doing that lately, and frankly, the feeling of joy at the team's surprising (to me) success far overshadows any embarrassment I might feel for having thrown them under the bus previously. I certainly don't recommend this kind of humility to just anyone, of course. :ph34r:

Good post man.

Good post. Im just happy the Sabres have managed to make these games relevant. The games were largely unwatchable in December and January.

Very interesting. The full article quoted in your link is here: http://www.sportsnet...gazine_feature/ (the link in the article to which you linked, itself, is faulty as of right this minute).

I'll continue to think that it was a move that both teams needed, and I'll continue to reserve judgment on who "won" the trade (I still think it was a win-win) for later.

But thanks for the link & the thought-provoking piece!

Edited by Eleven

It could take years to evaluate the trade, but right now we are better team for it.

That was good read. Don't get enough pieces like that about our team.

That's exactly why it was a good trade in the present. The Sabres got something they might need and gave up something they didn't need.

And thanks again for the good read.

I like the portion where he talks about how Hodgson could step in if one of the Sedins misses significant time. I really hope that scout said that before the Keith hit, because look where they are right now. Kassian is supposed to get some of those minutes, so we'll see how that goes.

But as has been said, that trade needs a few years for evaluation. It does still seem very strange to me from that angle. Buffalo added something they needed for the future while Vancouver went for something they need now. That's all well and good, except Kassian is not even close now to that player. Strange move.

If Sulzer holds his current level of play, then Buffalo is the clear winner of this trade.

Great read and I love reading comments from Canucks fans "We also added a good young defender". No you added one of the Sabres worst defenders who is softer than a pool full of feathers. As for Hodgson, I like the fact he thinks hard work is the only way he can succeed and the fact he wants to do more. This team has lacked leadership and Hodgson seems to have some of that. Its going to take some time but it appears right now that we have won this trade.

Good read, it was very interesting reading the comments from the Vancouver fans that were trying to rationalize the trade in thier favor by using the mythical "concept of Kassian". It was definitely meant to be a long term trade and should be evaluated as such, but short term we are definitely winning this trade and it isn't close. The injury to Sedin only puts salt in the wound.

That's exactly why it was a good trade in the present. The Sabres got something they might need and gave up something they didn't need.

And thanks again for the good read.

*insert inevitable size and toughness rebuttal here* :P

I like the portion where he talks about how Hodgson could step in if one of the Sedins misses significant time. I really hope that scout said that before the Keith hit, because look where they are right now. Kassian is supposed to get some of those minutes, so we'll see how that goes.

But as has been said, that trade needs a few years for evaluation. It does still seem very strange to me from that angle. Buffalo added something they needed for the future while Vancouver went for something they need now. That's all well and good, except Kassian is not even close now to that player. Strange move.

I think that's the thing I look at for Vancouver. Right now they need the player they believe Kassian can be...in a year or two down the road. He's not what they need at this particular point in time, which is why I was shocked the trade happened. By the time Kassian fully develops, there's a good chance Henrik Sedin will be in steep decline (it may already be starting) and at that point Hodgson would have a role on the team. If Kassian were more developed it would have made more sense to me from Vancouver's perspective.

One thing I take from the article, which could be perceived in a positive or negative light, was the bit about how some teammates thought Hodgson was a little bit too ambitious. In that locker room I can see how it would be a problem--you're a rookie behind Hart and Selke winners on the depth chart, shutup and do as you're told to do. On the other hand I think that's EXACTLY the kind of attitude the Sabres have been missing in the locker room. We desperately needed a guy who wanted to be a star, who wants ice time, wants the puck in critical situations. Is he ready for the entirety of that load as a rookie? Unlikely. However I want a guy with that attitude on my team, and hopefully leading the team in the not-too-distant future.

I think that's the thing I look at for Vancouver. Right now they need the player they believe Kassian can be...in a year or two down the road. He's not what they need at this particular point in time, which is why I was shocked the trade happened. By the time Kassian fully develops, there's a good chance Henrik Sedin will be in steep decline (it may already be starting) and at that point Hodgson would have a role on the team. If Kassian were more developed it would have made more sense to me from Vancouver's perspective.

One thing I take from the article, which could be perceived in a positive or negative light, was the bit about how some teammates thought Hodgson was a little bit too ambitious. In that locker room I can see how it would be a problem--you're a rookie behind Hart and Selke winners on the depth chart, shutup and do as you're told to do. On the other hand I think that's EXACTLY the kind of attitude the Sabres have been missing in the locker room. We desperately needed a guy who wanted to be a star, who wants ice time, wants the puck in critical situations. Is he ready for the entirety of that load as a rookie? Unlikely. However I want a guy with that attitude on my team, and hopefully leading the team in the not-too-distant future.

I think this attitude from a young guy in the locker room could be the start of turning around the Derek Roy club med locker room (*purely speculation*) to a real NHL group with a little more resilience. The effect can only be fully examined years into the future though

At the time of the trade they interviewed Luongo and a few other Canucks about losing Hodgson and Luongo kept saying Hodgson had a big head then laughing. At one point another canuck who just happened to be walking by said ' who, Cody ? ' in response to hearing Luongo say big head. This went on for quite a while during the interview with laughs and remarks thrown in from the other players in the dressing room. I'm sure he was liked in the room but you could tell the players felt he had a bit of an ego problem which isn't uncommon for pro's but maybe not a rookie.

the stuff in the article and upthread about hodgson being a bit big for his britches is fine by me, provided he's the sort of guy who is committed to achieving/playing a game that matches his elevated self-conception of himself.

and i think that is who hodgson is -- the video that chz posted about how he works out with gary roberts' "biosteel" camp gives me that sense. the guy thinks that he is/can be the best player on the ice at any given time, and appears prepared to work hard enough to make that happen.

At the time of the trade they interviewed Luongo and a few other Canucks about losing Hodgson and Luongo kept saying Hodgson had a big head then laughing. At one point another canuck who just happened to be walking by said ' who, Cody ? ' in response to hearing Luongo say big head. This went on for quite a while during the interview with laughs and remarks thrown in from the other players in the dressing room. I'm sure he was liked in the room but you could tell the players felt he had a bit of an ego problem which isn't uncommon for pro's but maybe not a rookie.

Speaking of Luongo. I forget which thread it was, but yesterday we were talking about the possibility of an amnesty clause in the new CBA allowing teams to buy out one bad contract without a cap hit. That would be one costly buyout, but suddenly I do see a scenario where Vancouver keeps Schneider around.

All four Sabre lines have the board battle/puck control element that Kassian brought in the persons of Foligno, Tropp, Leino, and Kaleta.

Getting Hodgson was huge as each of the top three lines has a Playmaking Center, Physical Winger, and a Sniper....Great balance as currently constituted.

Love the Defense Pairings also and of course Miller Time is back on his game big time!!!

D. Sedin going down wouldn't really have affected Hodgson's playing time that much in Vancouver because H. Sedin and Kesler are still healthy... Am I missing something here?

Mostly, but parts do wind up getting shuffled around a bit when a top player gets hurt. There's more ice time to be had.

Speaking of Luongo. I forget which thread it was, but yesterday we were talking about the possibility of an amnesty clause in the new CBA allowing teams to buy out one bad contract without a cap hit. That would be one costly buyout, but suddenly I do see a scenario where Vancouver keeps Schneider around.

If Don Fehr is as smart as I think he is, he should trade an amnesty clause with a "reverse" amnesty clause allowing 1 player from each team to opt out of a bad deal.