Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

If they were making a playoff push they never would have sent Gaustad to Nashville. It's amazing how quickly people ignore that one.

Correct. Everything we're seeing now is "bonus hockey."

I can't believe I just paid a playoff deposit yesterday.

Being relegated to listening to these games on my internet WGR 550 feed, I am a little in the dark as to the line combos. How many shifts has Hodgson played with Vanek and Pominville, a bunch or very few?

None with Vanek, 6.46% with Leino.

If they were making a playoff push they never would have sent Gaustad to Nashville. It's amazing how quickly people ignore that one.

Correct. Everything we're seeing now is "bonus hockey."

Although this again makes me wonder why the Sabres traded only Gaustad at the deadline. You can't attempt to both make a playoff push and unload veterans for draft picks at the deadline. If you're going to unload veterans, go ahead and trade more than one. I hate that the Sabres try to have it both ways.

But this is the problem with letting Regier handle the Sabres' rebuilding. We get a little rebuilding but he wants to keep his job so he's not going to let the team bottom out and start fresh.

Although this again makes me wonder why the Sabres traded only Gaustad at the deadline. You can't attempt to both make a playoff push and unload veterans for draft picks at the deadline. If you're going to unload veterans, go ahead and trade more than one. I hate that the Sabres try to have it both ways.

But this is the problem with letting Regier handle the Sabres' rebuilding. We get a little rebuilding but he wants to keep his job so he's not going to let the team bottom out and start fresh.

We don't know what other veterans the Sabres tried to unload, although personally, I am disappointed that Stafford is still around.

And of course, the move discussed in this thread is significant.

None with Vanek, 6.46% with Leino.

That's going to change tonight, per Sabres Edge blog. Hodgson is centering those two.

We don't know what other veterans the Sabres tried to unload, although personally, I am disappointed that Stafford is still around.

Well, we know the Sabres were "close" to trading Roy last summer. And Chz said the Sabres were shopping him again at the deadline this year but balked on moving him when they were only offered a 1st rounder.

So the Sabres seem to recognize that Roy is a guy who should be off the team. But they can't bring themselves to get it done.

I guess my point is that if the Sabres were ready to unload one veteran (Gaustad), they should have made sure to get a few more guys moved. Especially this year when it was definitely a seller's market.

As for this thread's trade, it's not present-for-future, but future-for-future. So not the type of trade I was talking about, although Regier deserves credit for thinking outside the box. Very rare for two teams to swap their top prospects. It made sense for both teams and it would probably make sense for more trades of this type to take place, but teams don't think that way.

That's going to change tonight, per Sabres Edge blog. Hodgson is centering those two.

Tis the reason I said it. :thumbsup:

How much salary do you reasonably expect Pegula to eat and bury in the AHL and overseas?

Stafford was just re-signed. I get that you don't like the deal or the player (and I am leaning that was as well) but he is coming off a 31-goal career year and is one of Lindy's favorites. It wasn't likely that he would get moved or buried in the AHL.

Boyes' biggest value to the team is the expiring contract, and they still couldn't get anyone to take him off their hands.

This alone, is one of the reasons I question the current coaches sanity.

Edited by Kristian
  • Like (+1) 1

The game is at a different speed than Stafford is able or willing to play this year. If you take away the hat tricks he miraculously came up with last year, he had his typical year, which means disappearing for long stretches.

Can't believe I just wasted my 200th post saying that.

I hate when people say, "take away his hat tricks..." that is stupid. Are those goals worth less because they happened in the same game? That is like saying take away fitzpatricks multi TD games, and he didn't throw very many touchdowns.

I do agree with the general consensus of stafford on the board, I just felt the need to rant after a crappy game.

This alone, is one of the reasons I question the current coaches sanity.

I don't disagree. I liked what I saw out of Staff in 08-09 and thought that last year was him delivering on his potential. But he is too prone to taking nights off, coasting, not working hard enough. And that he is a Lindy favorite drives me nuts.

I hate when people say, "take away his hat tricks..." that is stupid. Are those goals worth less because they happened in the same game? That is like saying take away fitzpatricks multi TD games, and he didn't throw very many touchdowns.

I do agree with the general consensus of stafford on the board, I just felt the need to rant after a crappy game.

Good post. I mean really. Hat ticks he "miraculously came up with"? Did the other team shoot the puck into their own net and he was the last to touch it, three times/game? Hammer away for the lack of effort, the indifferent attitude, whatever...but don't downplay an NHL'er scoring multiple hat tricks in one year.

Memo to Lindy Ruff - NEVER put Hodgson in a shoot out line up again - guy sucks!!!

Yeah! He took a spot away from Roy! Oh wait, Roy shot and didn't score? Oh, well Vanek shoulda shot instea....oh, he missed too? What about Pommers? He definitely would have scored....oh, he did get a chance and missed, too? Boyes has been hot in the SO, so maybe he'll....nope, didn't score either. Oh, injured. Wait - what about Stafford? oh, he got stopped too? Hmmmm....lotta options on this offensive juggernaut of a team....what about Gerbe? Injured you say?

But yeah! The 22-year-old SUCKS!!!! :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 2

Good post. I mean really. Hat ticks he "miraculously came up with"? Did the other team shoot the puck into their own net and he was the last to touch it, three times/game? Hammer away for the lack of effort, the indifferent attitude, whatever...but don't downplay an NHL'er scoring multiple hat tricks in one year.

Yeah! He took a spot away from Roy! Oh wait, Roy shot and didn't score? Oh, well Vanek shoulda shot instea....oh, he missed too? What about Pommers? He definitely would have scored....oh, he did get a chance and missed, too? Boyes has been hot in the SO, so maybe he'll....nope, didn't score either. Oh, injured. Wait - what about Stafford? oh, he got stopped too? Hmmmm....lotta options on this offensive juggernaut of a team....what about Gerbe? Injured you say?

But yeah! The 22-year-old SUCKS!!!! :rolleyes:

If we're gonna put "rookies" in the shoot out, have rather seen Foligno take a shot - he's actually gotten the puck in the net 3 times so far in 1/3rd as many games as Hodgson has played (and done nothing, I might add).

Plus i'd say Foligno is a lot more of a 'rookie' than Hodgson is.... guy just got called up from the minors a week ago!

If we're gonna put "rookies" in the shoot out, have rather seen Foligno take a shot - he's actually gotten the puck in the net 3 times so far in 1/3rd as many games as Hodgson has played (and done nothing, I might add).

Plus i'd say Foligno is a lot more of a 'rookie' than Hodgson is.... guy just got called up from the minors a week ago!

Hodgson is 1 year older but just played his 80th NHL game. They're both rookies.

I'm also not really sure if Foligno's game translates to the shootout.

Robviously already covered game style angle, so I want to ask this - why single out Hodgson? If you want struggling players or guys who also didn't score in the shootout, then you've got plenty to pick from. Why not put Foligno in over Roy, Pommers, Vanek, Stafford, or Boyes?

I loved it when Koziol mentioned how Lindy had said before this (Florida 03/17) game that he was going to "start juggling the lines" to try and get some chemistry going.

That's a good move. He simply NEEDS to get some chemistry going on at least ONE line.

I mean, how else will he know which line to split up again? :wallbash:

• Like (+1) 1

Hodgson is 1 year older but just played his 80th NHL game. They're both rookies.

I'm also not really sure if Foligno's game translates to the shootout.

I'll admit during the SO I said Foligno should go, but that was more out of curiosity and probably after 5 or 6 other guys had already tried, so we were in "why not?" territory. But I agree with Robviously... His goals so far have been of the lunch pail variety and I'm not sure that means anything compared to a breakaway shootout attempt.

Yeah, probably not... but... Hodgson's attempt was so far off the mark.... if at least he'd been on target or there was a chance it could go in the net my attitude would be different. But... that shot would have missed if the net was empty.

If he's that green, maybe Hodgson should be sent down to Rochester to get some seasoning? Does he really rate a spot as forward right now? He's been playing more like a D-man.

Edited by Jsixspd

If you watch the replay, Hodgson did have a hole bottom left. He didn't miss it by more than six inches, and lack of confidence will do that. This year seems to be a wash, and I haven't seen Hodgson enough to claim he was a bust, we won't know that for years. Let's let him grow before we jump all over him. A little criticism that you would give any rookie is reasonable, but some people are talking about him like he has 5 goals on a $4 million salary cough cough boyes cough cough.

The Better Days commercial just came on. That song makes me want to throw something out a window and start crying.

• Like (+1) 3

If you watch the replay, Hodgson did have a hole bottom left. He didn't miss it by more than six inches, and lack of confidence will do that. This year seems to be a wash, and I haven't seen Hodgson enough to claim he was a bust, we won't know that for years. Let's let him grow before we jump all over him. A little criticism that you would give any rookie is reasonable, but some people are talking about him like he has 5 goals on a $4 million salary cough cough boyes cough cough.

Good post.

If you watch the replay, Hodgson did have a hole bottom left. He didn't miss it by more than six inches, and lack of confidence will do that.

Thanks for pointing that out, I was going to call people on exaggerating. He didn't miss the net by that much.

If you take away all his goals, he never scored at all. Slacker

Still waiting for Hodgson to show me something...anything...other than being a minus every game. Hearing the Canucks fans talk after the trade, I thought we were getting a real star in the making. Turns out we traded raw prospect for raw prospect. Truthfully the trade looks bad for both players so far. I thought Kassian looked pretty good in his role in Buffalo and Hodgson was clearly more comfortable in Vancouver than he is here so far.