Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

How long ago were people calling him "Errorhoff?" Not that long.

I was one of those for the first few months, but one of my friends who lives in San Jose said I would find out real quick why they called him Errorhoff in SJ. So I jumped on him right away. He has been pretty damn good for the most part since the new year. I have no problem with him.

I was one of those for the first few months, but one of my friends who lives in San Jose said I would find out real quick why they called him Errorhoff in SJ. So I jumped on him right away. He has been pretty damn good for the most part since the new year. I have no problem with him.

This is the mark of an honest poster, right here.

Hodgson has played eight games with the Sabres, and has nothing to show for it. He's been pretty much invisible in terms of any tangible contribution since the trade. That's a long drought.

I doubt Kassian would have done much either in those 8 games, so it's not like we've lost out. But it would have been nice to get a player who can actually get a point now and then.

Somebody better make Hodgson aware the honeymoon with the team, the fans, the press is coming to a close, and that he is expected to start producing. Especially with Myers on a 3 game suspension, it would be the perfect time for Hodgson to shine, if he's going to. If he goes 11 games without a point, I think there's gonna be serious doubts about him.

kassian has played 6 games for vancouver and hasn't shown much either...

was a minus 2 , with just 2 hits in last nights loss to phoenix in 9 minutes of time.

I know Hodgson is young, but he is completely lost out there. Falling under the category of "just kick me in the nuts", Emrick and analyst(Olczyk?) were talking in the first period of how Hodgson may be better suited for the wing. The long awaited help at the center position? Better suited on the wing?

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Edited by LabattBlue

I know Hodgson is young, but he is completely lost out there. Falling under the category of "just kick me in the nuts", Emrick and analyst(Olczyk?) were talking in the first period of how Hodgson may be better suited for the wing. The long awaited help at the cetner position? Better suited on the wing?

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

I don't buy that for one minute. His struggling and getting far too frustrated but if he takes it slow and has a little fun all will work out. His still a rookie and the change from Vancouver to Buffalo has to be a big one. Styles, offensive prowess, etc.

I'm sure they thought he'd have more than zero points right now, but, there's no way you can think they made that trade for the playoff push. That trade was made to benefit the team long term.

If they were making a playoff push they never would have sent Gaustad to Nashville. It's amazing how quickly people ignore that one.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm wondering if Hodgson and Kassian were too young, inexperienced and immature to be dealt at deadline in this supposed "blockbuster" trade between two teams. I'm not sure they are mature enough to psychologically adjust to the situation and do their thing. I'm not expecting too much this season frankly.

I know Hodgson is young, but he is completely lost out there. Falling under the category of "just kick me in the nuts", Emrick and analyst(Olczyk?) were talking in the first period of how Hodgson may be better suited for the wing. The long awaited help at the center position? Better suited on the wing?

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

That was just a flat out incorrect conversation by them on the broadcast. I don't remember the exact number, but Hodgson never got more than a handful of games at wing, and it didn't work out. I honestly have no idea where these NBCS clowns get their information from.

was a minus 2 , with just 2 hits in last nights loss to phoenix in 9 minutes of time.

SSSSHHHHH, don't you get it? Kassian just needed to escape the oppressive Sabres regime for his inner beast to be unleashed! Of course everybody railing on Hodgson won't mention that Kassian has been equally ineffective in Vancouver. I think it's obvious at this point that they're both horrible busts who should be sent to the ECHL.

OR

They're 20 year old rookies trying to figure things out on the fly. I'll go with #2.

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

They didn't say that he was better suited for the wing. They suggested moving him to wing to help him get his groove back by letting him focus on offense with less responsibility in his own end. It's a very common move for young centers, but that doesn't mean that they stay at wing for their careers. Look at Ennis. He played center in Portland, came up and played wing for a while, and has now been moved back to center.

Edited by carpandean

I'm wondering if Hodgson and Kassian were too young, inexperienced and immature to be dealt at deadline in this supposed "blockbuster" trade between two teams. I'm not sure they are mature enough to psychologically adjust to the situation and do their thing. I'm not expecting too much this season frankly.

I missed this post somehow when I was responding, but essentially, THIS.

They didn't say that he was better suited for the wing. They suggested moving him to wing to help him get his groove back by letting him focus on offense with less responsibility in his own end. It's a very common move for young centers, but that doesn't mean that they stay at wing for their careers. Look at Ennis. He played center in Portland, came up and played wing for a while, and has now been moved back to center.

I believe they also actually talked about how he was on the wing in Vancouver and thriving, which was completely incorrect.

I thought Ennis was moved to LW immediately in Portland. Kennedy was the one who started out at center there even though he was a LW at Michigan State.

And you can add the fact that going out and banging bodies takes far less adjustment or figuring out of teammates or systems than trying to center a scoring line.

I thought Ennis was moved to LW immediately in Portland. Kennedy was the one who started out at center there even though he was a LW at Michigan State.

I was actually thinking that after I posted. Regardless, it's a common move around the league, not just in Buffalo.

I'm glad you're not an NHL coach.

And you would lose the player. Glad you're not the coach.

He will make a wonderful parent, though.

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

You are giving credence to something those idiots said? You are better than that.

Watching how well Foligno has been playing makes me wish the Hodgson trade hadn't been made even more.

What really pisses me off is that people keep saying to be patient with Hodgson, he is gonna be fine and will be a good player for a long time. Unfortunately the Sabres don't have the time to be patient, they are fighting for their playoff lives and needed him to be producing from the time he got here. Kind of like McGinn has for Colorado. He now has like 11 pts in 9 games with the Avs.

I'm sure they thought he'd have more than zero points right now, but, there's no way you can think they made that trade for the playoff push. That trade was made to benefit the team long term.

I look at it like this - anything we would have gotten from Kass would have been a bonus, so I am looking at Hodgson the same way.

TBPhD, Papazoid and Wolfie beat me to it -- the Sabres didn't make that trade for help down the stretch (although Vancouver probably did). Neither player is doing anything right now and it probably isn't realistic to expect much until next season.

I've seen enough out of Hodgie to be optimistic that he'll be a quality #2 center on a scoring line for the Sabres next year. That's an expensive item to add, and the cost was Kassian, who may or may not live up to his potential. And while I agree that ideally the Sabres would have both Kassian and Foligno skating hard, knocking heads and playing well, the Sabres needed a good center and Kassian was the price.

Good post.

If you believe the winner of the trade is the team that got the best player, so far we're winning, we got Sulzer.

Really? He badly misplayed a guy in the neutral zone that led directly to the first goal. Terrible play. He was sketch at several other points ion the game - his decision making is deteriorating. On the plus side, he is tough in front of his own net - something Grags will never be.

Really? He badly misplayed a guy in the neutral zone that led directly to the first goal. Terrible play. He was sketch at several other points ion the game - his decision making is deteriorating. On the plus side, he is tough in front of his own net - something Grags will never be.

The bar isn't that high thus far... ;)

TBPhD, Papazoid and Wolfie beat me to it -- the Sabres didn't make that trade for help down the stretch (although Vancouver probably did). Neither player is doing anything right now and it probably isn't realistic to expect much until next season. I've seen enough out of Hodgie to be optimistic that he'll be a quality #2 center on a scoring line for the Sabres next year. That's an expensive item to add, and the cost was Kassian, who may or may not live up to his potential. And while I agree that ideally the Sabres would have both Kassian and Foligno skating hard, knocking heads and playing well, the Sabres needed a good center and Kassian was the price.

Kassian was the price.

But right now, out of Kassian, McNabb, and Foligno, I'm glad the guy we decided to move was Kassian. Obviously that could change if Kassian puts it all together but Foligno has fit in perfectly starting with his second NHL game and McNabb was basically our "other no.1 prospect" coming into this season with Kassian.

Also, Hodgson and Ennis are the same age. Ennis' game has ranged from completely awful to superstar over the course of this season. So he's still figuring it out. Hodgson is in the same boat.

He's had his first practice now. Of course his decision making is deteriorating. :D

The best thing that could happen for Hodgson would be for the Sabres to miss the playoffs and he gets sent down to the Amerks for the playoffs. He can use all the games he can get in the Sabres system right now.

Cody Hodgson is not eligible to play for the Amerks in the playoffs. The best thing that can happen for Cody is that he continues to learn and improve.

Cody Hodgson is not eligible to play for the Amerks in the playoffs. The best thing that can happen for Cody is that he continues to learn and improve.

Well then I don't see that happening until next season after he has a full training camp with the Sabres. He has been going backwards since he arrived here.

It's too bad Hodgson has put up zeros since his arrival but it's to be expected. He's a rookie. He's played more than he probably figured he would this year and he's been all over the map these past 3 weeks.

However, if the team hadn't blown it the other night, they'd be 7-2 with him in Buffalo.

Kassian is doing nothing in Van. The team is 2-5 with him there.

Sulzer has played well. Grags is sitting Sat night after posting zero pts and a minus 6.

Cody will be a better player long term. I'm sure of it. People have to step off the ledge. Again, the team has done well with him and it's all about winning.