Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

So now because Gary Roberts disagrees, Hodgson being an issue for the Canucks GM isn't true? And even if it is true, whats the big deal? He had issues in Vancouver where they misdiagnosed his injury, and he was stuck behind a couple of superstars for playing time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks GM had to spend alot of time dealing with him and what to do with him. Its also possible that he is now in a place where he will be happier and won't be an issue the GM has to spend alot of time on. I don't think Roberts was there in Vancouver at all to see what was going on and is only going off of his dealing with him in the offseason, away from the team. no one ever said he wasn't a hard worker, or that he wasn't trying, Gillis just said that he spent alot of time dealing with Cody the last few years. The fact that Cody doesn't want to talk about or look back on his time in Vancouver and dispute the comments from Gillis lead me to believe that theres probably alot of truth to Gillis comments, he wasn't happy there and may have had issues with the Canucks management and now he has moved on and is putting it behind him to start fresh.

But of course, on this board, everything seems to have to be Black or White, with either Cody being a malcontent who (with a demanding father) will constantly be agrevating and complaining to management, or he is a sweet and innocent kid who some evil GM is trying to defame to cover his own behind in a mistake of a deal

I never thought it was true so? Yes this adds to the theory that Gillis is the whiner because his "awesome trade" at the moment looks like a fail. I like Hodgson and until he says or someone in the Sabres says that hes a biatch... I don't believe it.

So now because Gary Roberts disagrees, Hodgson being an issue for the Canucks GM isn't true? And even if it is true, whats the big deal? He had issues in Vancouver where they misdiagnosed his injury, and he was stuck behind a couple of superstars for playing time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks GM had to spend alot of time dealing with him and what to do with him. Its also possible that he is now in a place where he will be happier and won't be an issue the GM has to spend alot of time on. I don't think Roberts was there in Vancouver at all to see what was going on and is only going off of his dealing with him in the offseason, away from the team. no one ever said he wasn't a hard worker, or that he wasn't trying, Gillis just said that he spent alot of time dealing with Cody the last few years. The fact that Cody doesn't want to talk about or look back on his time in Vancouver and dispute the comments from Gillis lead me to believe that theres probably alot of truth to Gillis comments, he wasn't happy there and may have had issues with the Canucks management and now he has moved on and is putting it behind him to start fresh.

But of course, on this board, everything seems to have to be Black or White, with either Cody being a malcontent who (with a demanding father) will constantly be agrevating and complaining to management, or he is a sweet and innocent kid who some evil GM is trying to defame to cover his own behind in a mistake of a deal

I took it as someone who was saying what I was: Gillis is an idiot who is trying to save his ass by scapegoating Hodgson. It's truth is redundant.

I think that saying you ahve had to spend time on a players issues implies that they are a problem player, which Roberts is saying is not the CoHo he knows, and whilst true he does only know him away from the team, he also knows him as a person - i doubt Miller is laid back and the life and soul of a party simple because it is the offseason, same is true with Coho and his attitude.

He has not replied to the comments because if he disagrees with Gillis, which his high road comment would suggest he does, then all that happens is that it descends into name calling and insults

Or, Apus, what he said. Lol.

If my doctor misdiagnosed your injury so it was never treated and properly repaired, and then I turned around and gave you crap for not playing as well as you and I thought you could have/should have /would have liked to, well, you'd be PO'd too.

I have no problem with Hodgson giving Vancouver brass a hard time. That said, I think Giles and Vigneult are looking for something to take the fans' attention away from their shoddy performance so they can keep fiddling about while Rome burns. The fact the 'Nucks have been as good as they've been is depsite those two arses, not because of them. As a fan of the Canucks, I hope they both get dumped very soon...

Edited by Campy

If my doctor misdiagnosed your injury so it was never treated and properly repaired, and then I turned around and gave you crap for not playing as well as you and I thought you could have/should have /would have liked to, well, you'd be PO'd too.

I have no problem with Hodgson giving Vancouver brass a hard time. That said, I think Giles and Vigneult are looking for something to take the fans' attention away from their shoddy performance so they can keep fiddling about while Rome burns. The fact the 'Nucks have been as good as they've been is depsite those two arses, not because of them. As a fan of the Canucks, I hope they both get dumped very soon...

Rico, is that you? What's it like on the 'other side?'

Gary Roberts is the man. I'm so glad that he said something, since Cody obviously was going to take the high road and stay out of it. It was a cheap shot by Gillis to talk trash about Hodgson to cover his own ass after another disappointing season for the Canucks. Also, isn't kind of funny that a GM would complain about dealing with their player's "issues?" I mean, I could be entirely wrong, but it seems like Pegula & Co. would be the type that are happy to deal with whatever issues their players may have. Isn't that part of building a good team, making sure that everyone is on the same page and there are no issues?

As I said before, gillis is in spin mode and looks foolish for his remarks. All Cody has to do is keep doing what he's doing and we'll be happy fans.

I look forward to seeing him perform after another offseason of good hard training and being another year older.

I don't see the problem with a player going to their coach about ice time..... depending on how it was approached. For all we know Cody went to Alain and said coach I feel I can contribute more to this team tell me what I need to do to prove/show you.

Now if that conversation went that way I would think it would put a different spin on things compared to the OMG that seflish child he wanted off a 1st place team crowd.

The one thing I have heard time and time from players about Ruff is he is honest and will tell you exactly what he thinks when you come to him about your play. Thats not something I have heard about Alain.

As for that Gillis comment about putting cody in positions to score to get best value (offensive faceoffs%). Let me get this straight you put a player in a position to put up some offensive numbers, he does just that and goes like 11 points in 10 games or some such and you trade em....... You trade a scoring center that is scoring? Maybe it's me but that whole thing just reeks of covering your own ass. I mean if Regier came out and said well we put Zack in positions to Lucic it up so we could get max value when we trade him everyone would be calling out his BS

As for that Gillis comment about putting cody in positions to score to get best value (offensive faceoffs%). Let me get this straight you put a player in a position to put up some offensive numbers, he does just that and goes like 11 points in 10 games or some such and you trade em....... You trade a scoring center that is scoring?

So if the stories are to be believed, Hodgson thought he deserved a better opportunity to show what he could do. They gave it to him and he showed he was right.

And then they traded him. Hmmm....

I like what I've been reading.

After five years of players looking for excuses for their failure to step up, I'm ready for someone who expects to be on the ice with the game on the line.

Edited by dudacek

Actually, the Canucks head coach Alain whatsisname called him out publicly during training camp a couple years back when he was going through the backproblems and basically said he was faking. So someone did in fact say he wasn't a hard worker and that he wasn't trying. The Vancouver franchise dropped the ball and called out a 19 or 20 year old publicly because their medical staff misdiagnosed his injury and they essentially thought he was faking it. Dumbkoffs!

As I said before, gillis is in spin mode and looks foolish for his remarks. All Cody has to do is keep doing what he's doing and we'll be happy fans.

That's the thing about this whole situation. Even if everything Gillis is saying is true, only one guy is coming across as unprofessional during the whole thing. Cody has played this perfectly by staying out of it. Gillis looks like a three year old.

bottom line to all this is Hodgson is not the first player not to get along with management and certainly will not be the last. Its clear given Roberts comments not just to Buffalo News, but to a good number of other media sorts, Hodgson is at this time dedicating himself to being as fit as he can possibly be. See can only portend better things in Buffalo. Because a player does not get along in one location does not mean he is not going to get along in another. Buffalo will know more seeing this player after a full season in Buffalo... Vancouver made trade because the recognized they were a soft team, getting such a young player did not help them this season. Buffalo need more goals, time will tell if Hodgson part of answer. Frankly both players young guys both with some maturity issues both teams hope with be resolved with experience. imo

Actually, the Canucks head coach Alain whatsisname called him out publicly during training camp a couple years back when he was going through the backproblems and basically said he was faking. So someone did in fact say he wasn't a hard worker and that he wasn't trying. The Vancouver franchise dropped the ball and called out a 19 or 20 year old publicly because their medical staff misdiagnosed his injury and they essentially thought he was faking it. Dumbkoffs!

Right??? That's the kind of crap one would only expect in Montreal!

That's the thing about this whole situation. Even if everything Gillis is saying is true, only one guy is coming across as unprofessional during the whole thing. Cody has played this perfectly by staying out of it. Gillis looks like a three year old.

And gets to keep his job.

That should tell you something......and it ain't good.

I ask again..what in particular has Gillis done that he has earned a reputation that he's a great GM? And don't tell me "two consecutive presidents' trophies!!!!" because the entire core of those teams was in place before Gillis took over. What moves has he made that make him stand out? Looking at his moves hasn't impressed me a lot. Plus, hockeysfuture.com has the Canucks' collective prospects ranked 29th in the league. Isn't it possible that he simply went all-out this year at the deadline to make his team Cup-worthy, and failed? It certainly wouldn't be the first time in the history of sports that a GM was very short-sighted with particular moves.

I ask again..what in particular has Gillis done that he has earned a reputation that he's a great GM? And don't tell me "two consecutive presidents' trophies!!!!" because the entire core of those teams was in place before Gillis took over. What moves has he made that make him stand out? Looking at his moves hasn't impressed me a lot. Plus, hockeysfuture.com has the Canucks' collective prospects ranked 29th in the league. Isn't it possible that he simply went all-out this year at the deadline to make his team Cup-worthy, and failed? It certainly wouldn't be the first time in the history of sports that a GM was very short-sighted with particular moves.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Here we go a again.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=395392

Kesler out for six months after shoulder surgery; expected to miss the start of next season.

Sorry Gillis, no backsies.

I don't think his duly concerned, though I expect him to go for Gausted in the offseason, perfect 3rd line center for him.

That should tell you something......and it ain't good.

What, that his not concerned because he has a plan or that his an idiot? Which?

Yes I know what your point is, I'm mocking you.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

An oldie, but goodie thread.

Hodgson will be coming off his EL contract at the end this season.

Any ideas what his new contract will look like.

I'm thinking something like 3 years at $3 million per year, with some bonus # tied to performance.

We need to see more of him before we start thinking of what a new contract will look like. Based on last season, a 3 for 3 seems a bit too much.