Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

LIstening to GR and reading posts; It's amazing how many fans went from treating Kassian as this teams savior to a bum.

It is indeed amazing, because he was neither. The Sabs traded a decent young player for another one. Hope it works out.

Stop trying to reason with the unreasonable. The only thing people see here is that the Sabres gave up a guy who was supposed to be the next Lucic in their minds. They're blind with rage over this and don't want to see how important a player like Hodgson can be to a team that has had no center depth.

I have sensed optimism from you before, d4rk one. You are turning way too far towards the light. One more remark like this, and DeLuca won't let you use his logo anymore.

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington

Hodgson is now the #Sabres No. 3 goal scorer (16) and No. 4 in points (33).

Didn't we see this same situation very recently?

My sense is that the lines will not fundamentally alter much for the rest of the season. I think Brad Boyes benefits most from this trade. My sense is that the lines will be:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Leino-Ennis-Stafford

Gerbe-Hodgson-Boyes

McCormick/Adam-Ellis-Kaleta

I think the fourth line turns into the "shutdown" line with now 3 scoring lines. But, if Hodgson is putting up points with fairly limited talent as linemates, I could see him simply moving into Gaustad's spot with Gerbe and Kaleta. Either way, I think this is a good addition to get some center depth with a true center and not some makeshift guy. We may lose more faceoffs without Gaustad, but I think this is a major upgrade in talent at the center position which has been desperately needed.

Good post. You've been too quiet lately.

Also, I prefer Kaleta on the #3 line instead of Boyes.

That's 53 minutes of soft play still from your front 9.

I like the Gaustad trade, but we still have the same lowest common denominator. No toughness or leaders in your top 9. Gaustad was probably your best case.

This is the problem with waiting. Anaheim was in freefall in the middle of the year. Would you have traded Kassian, Stafford and Gragnani for Getzlaff? At the time...you probably could have gotten that deal looked at.

This was a good post until you went off the rails on the proposed Getzlaf trade.

However, I agree that the top 9 still needs an overhaul -- and I am pessimistic about it happening.

Vanek - Ennis - Pominville

Leino - Hodgson - Stafford

Gerbe - Roy - Kaleta

Adam - Szczechura - Boyes

I like these, except that I'd like Ellis instead of Adam on the 4th line. Adam isn't ready. Also, Tropp is probably ahead of Chewie, but perhaps not.

WTF dude? You too now?

Remember, it's not you - it is everyone else...

Beat me to it.

Chimp: when a lot of people are finding you obnoxious -- the problem is probably not with all of them. Your hockey posts are good, but your communication still needs work.

• Like (+1) 2

We got the best player in this deal, and if you're worried about replacing the toughness, Darcy now has four picks in the first two rounds with which to trade for that this summer. He might even be able to keep the picks and bring Gaustad back UFA style.

It was a bold move and this team isn't winning a cup this year anyway. Thumbs up.

• Like (+1) 2

Hodgson possibly asked for a trade:

Hodgson's camp and head coach have not always seen eye to eye. Because of that Gillis was asked if Hodgson's crew asked for a trade.

"That's an internal thing I'm not going to comment about," he said.

It was pointed out to Gillis that his non-answer will lead to rampant speculation that Hodgson did in fact ask for a trade.

"Well, there will be speculation that he did, then," Gillis said. "Things that happen behind closed doors in our offices are not for public consumption.

"I'm not going to discuss it."

http://blogs.theprov...sk-for-a-trade/ Edited by Lanny

I have sensed optimism from you before, d4rk one. You are turning way too far towards the light. One more remark like this, and DeLuca won't let you use his logo anymore.

:blush:

Do I come across as pessimistic? I try very hard to toe the line between the two.

I don't understand all the crying about losing toughness by trading Kassian. This team needed a real center. Now we have one. Stop whining.

The team needs centers because the GM hasn't acquired any previously. Did Regier just wake up from a seven year slumber? Didn't he notice until now that the Sabres were terribly weak down the middle?

They have to trade away their top prospect who has size and toughness to fill a hole created by the GM. The Sabres drafted Kassian to fill a need: size and toughness. The need still exists more than ever.

I will agree with Regier that it is easier to acquire tough guys in the summer than it is to get talented centers. I think Hodgson can be very good so I hope this works out. I think trading Gaustad and Kassian makes a soft team even softer. In this respect I think the Sabres are thinking this year is lost because there is no way this team is built for the playoffs. Teams will try to bully the Sabres even more now until the end of the season. It could get ugly.

The Sabres draft has to be excellent this year. I suspect Regier will deal one or more top picks to pick up proven NHLer's.

Only time will tell who got the best of the trade.

• Like (+1) 1

As some of you guys know, Vancouver is my 2nd favorite team. It's safe to say I've watched more 'Nuck games than anyone else here, and here's what I can tell you about Hodgson: He's fully recovered from surgery to repair a ruptured disc as evident by his play this year. He's a decent skater. Not great, but decent, and certainly decent-enough to fit in Buffalo's preferred push-the-puck breakout offense. He has some intangibles when he has the puck and it's obvious he can see the ice really well, he just "gets it." He has a strong slapshot and a deceptively quick release on wristers and snap shots. Plus, and this is something we haven't seen much of in Buffalo, he finds the back of the net. He's makes good reads on the rush and can maintain possesion when in the O zone. He isn't a power forward or banger but he's shown some feistiness and a willingness to go to the ugly areas of the ice. And while it's unlikely he'll ever be a force in his own end, he doesn't shy away from playing in the D zone and shows hustle on the backcheck. And lastly, so you can sound like the smartest guy in the pub, his last name is pronounced Hodson - the g is silent.

While Kass may very well end up having a better career, the amount of talent and finish Hodgson brings to the Sabres TODAY makes this a solid trade. Hodgson will be a very good player for a long time and as others have said, toughness is easier to find in the offseason than skill, and Hodgson is years ahead of Kass.

Trust me, you'll fall in love with this kid, just give him a chance.

Edited by Campy
  • Like (+1) 1

:blush:

Do I come across as pessimistic? I try very hard to toe the line between the two.

For what it's worth, in my short time here I think you do a good job of finding middle ground.

IDK if this is good or bad... but that makes it seem like he would wanna be here more and that will be a good thing

I view it as a good thing. I want guys who are confident in themselves and think they are capable of playing a bigger role than they are currently playing. The first step to becoming a great player is believing you can be.

The team needs centers because the GM hasn't acquired any previously. Did Regier just wake up from a seven year slumber? Didn't he notice until now that the Sabres were terribly weak down the middle?

They have to trade away their top prospect who has size and toughness to fill a hole created by the GM. The Sabres drafted Kassian to fill a need: size and toughness. The need still exists more than ever.

I will agree with Regier that it is easier to acquire tough guys in the summer than it is to get talented centers. I think Hodgson can be very good so I hope this works out. I think trading Gaustad and Kassian makes a soft team even softer. In this respect I think the Sabres are thinking this year is lost because there is no way this team is built for the playoffs. Teams will try to bully the Sabres even more now until the end of the season. It could get ugly.

The Sabres draft has to be excellent this year. I suspect Regier will deal one or more top picks to pick up proven NHLer's.

I'm not at all concerned with the rest of this season. If we have a miracle run, great. If not, whatever. To me it's all about what we do in the offseason to get ready for next year, and I think today was a positive first step to improving.

That might be true but Looch doesnt bat an eye at kassian he didnt sigh, he probably laughed. Bruins are more worried about the canucks than the sabres

I truly believe adam will be better than ennis not hodgson

I am going to be as nice as possible when I say WHAT THE ######! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??

Ennis has the hands and the speed that teams search years for and Adam has what? His size. I would bet my Sabres Space account that in 10 years when we look back Tyler Ennis will have had a better career barring serious injuries to either player. Ennis is top 6 without a doubt in my mind. Adam might make the top six some day if he works hard. If I had to guess, Ennis becomes a 70-80 pt guy with the right wingers and Adam tops out around 50 during good years.

For what it's worth, in my short time here I think you do a good job of finding middle ground.

I view it as a good thing. I want guys who are confident in themselves and think they are capable of playing a bigger role than they are currently playing. The first step to becoming a great player is believing you can be.

I'm not at all concerned with the rest of this season. If we have a miracle run, great. If not, whatever. To me it's all about what we do in the offseason to get ready for next year, and I think today was a positive first step to improving.

I am good with whatever happens in the rest of the season win or lose.

In order:

1. He has, previously (and awesomely); he hasn't, recently. Well, until today. But then again, he was lied to by some Finn from Filly who said "hey, I'm a center!" Still, it's ALL on DR for believing him. I mean that.

2. Brayden McNabb wasn't traded.

3. You're right to believe him on that one.

4. Who cares? This team isn't winning a Cup this year. That's why the whole "buyers vs. sellers" conversation ended in "SELLERS!!!!!"

5. Oh, I hope so. Those four picks are four powerful cards in his hand.

As some of you guys know, Vancouver is my 2nd favorite team. It's safe to say I've watched more 'Nuck games than anyone else here, and here's what I can tell you about Hodgeson: He's fully recovered from surgery to repair a ruptured disc as evident by his play this year. He's a decent skater. Not great, but decent, and certainly decent-enough to fit in Buffalo's preferred push-the-puck breakout offense. He has some intangibles when he has the puck and it's obvious he can see the ice really well, he just "gets it." He has a strong slapshot and a deceptively quick release on wristers and snap shots. Plus, and this is something we haven't seen much of in Buffalo, he finds the back of the net. He's makes good reads on the rush and can maintain possesion when in the O zone. He isn't a power forward or banger but he's shown some feistiness and a willingness to go to the ugly areas of the ice. And while it's unlikely he'll ever be a force in his own end, he doesn't shy away from playing in the D zone and shows hustle on the backcheck. And lastly, so you can sound like the smartest guy in the pub, his last name is pronounced Hodson - the g is silent.

While Kass may very well end up having a better career, the amount of talent and finish Hodgson brings to the Sabres TODAY makes this a solid trade. Hodgson will be a very good player for a long time and as others have said, toughness is easier to find in the offseason than skill, and Hodgson is years ahead of Kass.

Trust me, you'll fall in love with this kid, just give him a chance.

Nice read. You sound like a newspaperman. And all I had to see on Hodson ;) is "prospective Calder candidate" and watch a clip by Robviously here on the boards to be happy we got him. But I'll always be sad to see Kassian go, and I really think he's going to make the fans in Vancouver cheer plenty, plenty.

Nah, I'm just messin' around.

Plus, your girlie makes a mean avatar.

I figured as much, but it's nice to have some input. ;) How someone is perceived by others is not always how one is attempting to be perceived.

She occasionally spies me checking SS on my phone and gets a good laugh out of seeing her work while I'm scrolling through haha

I agree with you, I was just taking my usual roundabout way of showing it, sorry. :)

I hear u..The thing that really bothers me most of all is its been a very long time since we had a power forward with really high potential, in this time in the NHL they are few and far between, did he come in and light it up? Nope..But he showed some really awesome flashes of what he can do...

I guess the reality of the deal is we needed a center, hell we need another one still, but that problem has been our biggest need for 5 yrs and now we deal our biggest and best prospect for one....MAybe its Darcy finally admitting it and doing his best to get one...Im just not happy with who dealt to get one....

Time will tell..

We still are stuck with a bunch of underperforming overpaid players....So confused......

Hodgson possibly asked for a trade:

http://blogs.theprov...sk-for-a-trade/

It's always a great sign when a 22 year old has a "crew".

hearing all the canucks fans talk about how Kassian is going to be this tough guy to protect the Sedins is hilarious. They are acting like he is some super badass that will destroy all... lol

How much you want to bet he breaks Kaleta's orbital bone Saturday?

hearing all the canucks fans talk about how Kassian is going to be this tough guy to protect the Sedins is hilarious. They are acting like he is some super badass that will destroy all... lol

They sound kinda like us before this season :P

I would bet a hefty amount he doesn't literally accomplish that.

It's always a great sign when a 22 year old has a "crew".

I will bet 50$ that Kassian does not break anyones bones on Saturday... Mike Weber might break him in 2 if he tries though.

They sound kinda like us before this season :P

I would bet a hefty amount he doesn't literally accomplish that.

lol ik they do :angel: