GDT: Islanders at Sabres 2/21/12 7:00pm

spndnchz

A year ago today the Sabres were 27-25-6 and four points behind the Canes for the last playoff spot. They went 16-4-4 in the stretch. I still think its possible they can do it again this year.

The goal should be to win a Stanley Cup, not make the playoffs. Even if they pull off a 3-out-of-4-points pace to finish the season, can this team get past the Boston/NY/Philly kind of teams in a best of 7 series? No? Then SELL.

Very entertaining game to attend with a lot of offensive chances. No reason the Sabres can't sell AND make it a race. I have come to the realization that they are not getting one of the Russians so they have officially sucked me back in.....

This is exactly right.

Too bad Darcy doesn't feel the same way I'm afraid... but hey, maybe he'll surprise us all. (ya, I'm laughing too)

This Goose line doing a great job against the toplines. Just enough to keep us in the thick of it we need help but we can win.

Sabres tonight did a great job of getting the puck quickly out of the defensive zone something that has been lacking all season.

Guess what? You can't win the cup without making the playoffs.

PTR

Not that I disagree with you but do you honestly feel they could win a series if they were to make the playoffs?

If retooling this year to better position themselves for next year means possibly missing them this year I'm all for it.

JMO.

And beat Anaheim tonight after the trade of Steve Downie, who was Stamkos' roommate and very close to a lot of the Lightning players. Shows a sell off can work with the right

personnel left holding down the fort ...

Ummm, how long have they held the fort for??? Trading Downie is not a good move for them, he was a big part of the grit of that team and Downie can play hockey.

This Goose line doing a great job against the toplines. Just enough to keep us in the thick of it we need help but we can win.

Sabres tonight did a great job of getting the puck quickly out of the defensive zone something that has been lacking all season.

1. Agree.

2. I thought they did this much better on Sunday, actually; I wasn't that impressed with it today. There were periods of sustained pressure in the Sabres' end.

Not that I disagree with you but do you honestly feel they could win a series if they were to make the playoffs?

If retooling this year to better position themselves for next year means possibly missing them this year I'm all for it.

JMO.

They came within an overtime goal of doing it last year, and I think this year's defense is much improved. If we get the team we've had over the last couple of weeks it's possible. If we get the team we had the two months before that it won't matter because they'll be eliminated from playoff contention with 10 games to go.

All too often we see teams win a series who aren't necessarily the best team as far as season record, but the hottest teams going into the playoffs. If they can pull this off, that would make them a hot team going into the playoffs.

They came within an overtime goal of doing it last year, and I think this year's defense is much improved. If we get the team we've had over the last couple of weeks it's possible. If we get the team we had the two months before that it won't matter because they'll be eliminated from playoff contention with 10 games to go.

All too often we see teams win a series who aren't necessarily the best team as far as season record, but the hottest teams going into the playoffs. If they can pull this off, that would make them a hot team going into the playoffs.

I can't really agree with anything stated above. Last year they got the added boost of a new owner who said he was going to make them winners so there is that. Also last year they played the 3 headed goalie monster of Philly. If they squeak in this year they will be playing the 2 time vezina winner or a guy who has a great shot at winning it this year. Further more if they do not sell and then become mathematically eliminated with 10 games to go, we have failed once again to maximize our assets and get any sort of return for players who will reach their peak value within the next 6 days.

They were a hot team going into the playoffs last year and still did not have enough toughness to survive a playoff series against a team that was minus its best defensemen for the majority of the series.

I try to be optimistic. Makes up for my abundance of pessimism the last 2 months, lol. Yeah, this weekend will be a prelude to Sunday and Monday for DR.

This weekend should honestly have no effect on DR handling of mondays deadline because the decision should have been made by now. If not than yet again we are being safe and indecisive while smoking the good stuff and praying some miracle occurs. Just remember that an 8th seed has NEVER EVER won the cup and the last time the worst seed won the cup was 1948 I believe.

I am sorry but this win means absolutely nothing other than we are now drafting lower.

1) Weber is suddenly more edgy than he was a few months ago... maybe his confidence has returned since it is obvious MAG is not that good

2) Tyler and Tyler are starting to edge their way up into the realm of great... time will tell but I love those two

3) Derek Roy should be traded immediately because if he can play the way he has over the last 2 games than he sure as hell could have played that way over the last 58...

4) Jason Pominville is our best, smartest, and most valuable player IMHO

9. Leino got chippy a few times tonight! That was kind of fun to see.

Not the first time either. I've noticed a pissed off Leino is an effective Leino.

And when they didn't get it out right away, even without possession, they did a good job of keeping the puck along the boards and away from prime scoring areas.

As for the checking line, I am so, so, so pleased that Kaleta has grown into a full-time player. Remember, he replaced Peters, who was a dead weight on the club. He was there to be the tough guy and put in when there was an obvious fight situation; the rest of the time he rode the bench. Kaleta is out there protecting the lead the last minute of the game. He is also a pretty decent assist guy. Well, except that Gerbe has trouble burying perfect feeds. I think that will come though; they will sync up eventually. I think Kaleta realized that he was gonna have to be more than just a spot player, and more than just a hitter, if he wanted a career of any kind of length. The dude rocks. And a kinder, gentler Kaleta is still a pain to play against.

I can't really agree with anything stated above. Last year they got the added boost of a new owner who said he was going to make them winners so there is that. Also last year they played the 3 headed goalie monster of Philly. If they squeak in this year they will be playing the 2 time vezina winner or a guy who has a great shot at winning it this year. Further more if they do not sell and then become mathematically eliminated with 10 games to go, we have failed once again to maximize our assets and get any sort of return for players who will reach their peak value within the next 6 days.

They were a hot team going into the playoffs last year and still did not have enough toughness to survive a playoff series against a team that was minus its best defensemen for the majority of the series.

This weekend should honestly have no effect on DR handling of mondays deadline because the decision should have been made by now. If not than yet again we are being safe and indecisive while smoking the good stuff and praying some miracle occurs. Just remember that an 8th seed has NEVER EVER won the cup and the last time the worst seed won the cup was 1948 I believe.

I am sorry but this win means absolutely nothing other than we are now drafting lower.

1) Weber is suddenly more edgy than he was a few months ago... maybe his confidence has returned since it is obvious MAG is not that good

2) Tyler and Tyler are starting to edge their way up into the realm of great... time will tell but I love those two

3) Derek Roy should be traded immediately because if he can play the way he has over the last 2 games than he sure as hell could have played that way over the last 58...

4) Jason Pominville is our best, smartest, and most valuable player IMHO

Well good for you. You seem to put a negative spin on pretty much everything you post. Me, I like to see the team win and make the playoffs.

BTW, how many were we missing because of injuries in last years playoffs? Were we not missing our #1 center? Were we not missing the guy who you just proclaimed as our MVP for the last 3 games? Your obsession with a higher draft pick gets repetitive. This team will not finish in the bottom 3. Picking 4th or 14th will have little to no impact as most of it is a crapshoot. Sure is a good thing the Sabres weren't a 3rd worst team in 2008. I can only think of one other person in the 1st round I would have rather had than Myers.

Remember, he replaced Peters, who was a dead weight on the club. He was there to be the tough guy and put in when there was an obvious fight situation; the rest of the time he rode the bench.

Kaleta didn't replace Peters. The only reason he was put on the ice during "obvious fight situations" was because his linemates were the main pugilists on the team, as sad as that was.

Well good for you. You seem to put a negative spin on pretty much everything you post. Me, I like to see the team win and make the playoffs.

BTW, how many were we missing because of injuries in last years playoffs? Were we not missing our #1 center? Were we not missing the guy who you just proclaimed as our MVP for the last 3 games? Your obsession with a higher draft pick gets repetitive. This team will not finish in the bottom 3. Picking 4th or 14th will have little to no impact as most of it is a crapshoot. Sure is a good thing the Sabres weren't a 3rd worst team in 2008. I can only think of one other person in the 1st round I would have rather had than Myers.

Roy, our number 1 center.

I don't think that phrase will equate to a Stanley Cup for us.

It's just too damn bad that Roy can't play like this even 50% of the time, Hell - I would take him like this 25% of the time. Seeing this charade all over again with him just proves that we need that Center more than ever because as far as I'm concerned, Ennis is the only one that will be on the team starting the '12 season.

Ennis, Adam and ? and ?. Make these trades with Gaustad and Roy for picks and they should be able to turn the picks into at least a 2nd line Center. I think they can get away with Ennis on the first line for one season which leaves a gap at 3rd line center. Sorry Goose, you fall in the same line as Roy showing too little too late.

What a shame, they actually have 2 guys that fill holes but can't sustain the effort level needed to compete

Ummm, how long have they held the fort for??? Trading Downie is not a good move for them, he was a big part of the grit of that team and Downie can play hockey.

Disagree, trading Downie is a great move if Yzerman can use all of those stockpiled draft picks to get a goalie.

Well personally I would like to see the team win the cup as opposed to some meaningless 1st round exit. Not to mention injuries are a part of the playoffs and if 2 injuries did that much than this team is screwed. I'll say it again, no 8th seed has EVER won the cup. BTW I am not being negative I am being rational... o and you have no idea who the sabres would have drafted 3rd overall in 08 so that does not hold water. I would be happy with 3 of the top 4 players (Stamkos, Doughty, or Pientrangelo). Finally if this team had been blown up in 08, it would be a hell of a lot better off than it is now. O and I almost forgot, the sabres did not make the playoffs the year they drafted Tyler Myers so the real point is that if they had made the playoffs that year they would not have gotten Myers.... LAWYERED.

You believe that making the playoffs is the best thing this team can do than so be it. I will continue to be a realist and hope something changes...

"Do or do not, there is no try"

I have to agree with this. I don't have all the time in the world to do a full scale analysis but here is the top 14 draft picks in 2008. I chose this as the draft year because a) I only have time to do one, b) you mention Myers and c) The players have now had 3+ years in their teams system.

1. Stamkos - top pick, great player obviously

2. Doughty - very good Dman

3. Bogosian - I know he has a cup and he is good, but I was thinking he'd be slightly better at this point

4. Pietrangelo - He's been a good offensive Dman in St. Louis

5. Luke Schenn - Had a nice rookie season but is already looking like a bust being a healthy scratch in recent games

6. Nikita Filatov - Not even playing in the NHL right now (has played 9 total NHL games)

7. Colin Wilson - Stats look ok (I must admit, playing in Nashville I don't see him much)

8. Mikkel Boedker - Again a guy playing out west but doesn't look very impressive. LW with 23 goals and 62 points in 186 games.

9. Josh Bailey - Currently has 6 goals and 8 assists in 60 games. Not effective Center at this point in his career.

10. Cody Hodgson - Finally cracked the Canuks lineup as a regular Center this year. 15 goals and 17 assists.

11. Kyle Beach - Still playing the the AHL.

12. Tyler Myers - Rookie of the Year, top pair Dman.

In conclusion, the point seems to stand (atleast in 08). Once you get out of the top 3 or 4 picks, it's pretty much a crap shoot.

I have to agree with this. I don't have all the time in the world to do a full scale analysis but here is the top 14 draft picks in 2008. I chose this as the draft year because a) I only have time to do one, b) you mention Myers and c) The players have now had 3+ years in their teams system.

1. Stamkos - top pick, great player obviously

2. Doughty - very good Dman

3. Bogosian - I know he has a cup and he is good, but I was thinking he'd be slightly better at this point

4. Pietrangelo - He's been a good offensive Dman in St. Louis

5. Luke Schenn - Had a nice rookie season but is already looking like a bust being a healthy scratch in recent games

6. Nikita Filatov - Not even playing in the NHL right now (has played 9 total NHL games)

7. Colin Wilson - Stats look ok (I must admit, playing in Nashville I don't see him much)

8. Mikkel Boedker - Again a guy playing out west but doesn't look very impressive. LW with 23 goals and 62 points in 186 games.

9. Josh Bailey - Currently has 6 goals and 8 assists in 60 games. Not effective Center at this point in his career.

10. Cody Hodgson - Finally cracked the Canuks lineup as a regular Center this year. 15 goals and 17 assists.

11. Kyle Beach - Still playing the the AHL.

12. Tyler Myers - Rookie of the Year, top pair Dman.

In conclusion, the point seems to stand (atleast in 08). Once you get out of the top 3 or 4 picks, it's pretty much a crap shoot.

Proving the point again. Squeaking into the playoffs or just missing screws up your draft because it becomes a crapshoot. So his point holds no water at all. Not to mention WE DIDNT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 08!

Proving the point again. Squeaking into the playoffs or just missing screws up your draft because it becomes a crapshoot. So his point holds no water at all. Not to mention WE DIDNT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 08!

I agree with that, but there are many teams that 'squeak in' or 'just miss'. Only the bottom 3 or 4 picks are relavent. With Columbus and a whole glutten on other terrible teams this year, I don't see us getting to the bottom 3 (unless we have a couple more significant injuries). It's easy to just say we should tank it but we're competing with the lowest of the low here.

I agree with that, but there are many teams that 'squeak in' or 'just miss'. Only the bottom 3 or 4 picks are relavent. With Columbus and a whole glutten on other terrible teams this year, I don't see us getting to the bottom 3 (unless we have a couple more significant injuries). It's easy to just say we should tank it but we're competing with the lowest of the low here.

We're at Pick #6 right now, just 2 pts above being #3, I don't see any way we do worse than that as CBJ and EDM are absolutely atrocious this year.

Archived