GDT: Buffalo vs. Philadelphia (2/16/2012, 7:00pm)

Corp000085

This is what ateam looks like when they quit on their coach. Another proof is how well they played (not because of Patrick but Lindy's absense), when he was not behind the bench.

This game tonight went to the crapper at the start of the second. If you noticed, this also coinsides with the d-pairing scramble. Myers and Ehrhoff started off as bad as possible. Talbot owned Myers on that first shift. What does Ruff do? Puts Myers and Sekera together, leaving Weber to play with Leopold. These two may make the worst pair in known history. Leo watched th second goal go in. What does Lindy do? puts him back out there on the next shift. The Defense are in pairs for a reason. They are not reffered to as Right or Left D. These guys are not interchangable as much as Ruff wants them to be.

Sadly, this was my thought when they made it 4-2. There were a couple sparks but otherwise looked lifeless and disinterested for the most part.

If you are going to give Miller the night off then you have to stick with it for the whole game. Biron gives up 4 goals on 7 shots in the first 10 minutes of the game and you don't see Tortorella pulling him.

I've gotta say that's Tortorella's mistake, then. And while I like Ruff, I think I'm well on record with criticism of how he handles backup goalies. But 4 on 7 in 10 = pull, every time, unless the starter is injured or something.

I'm not contradicting myself. Hamilton is using his sources to put together the story the best way he can. Short of being a mind reader (hence the "no one truly knows what is going on in Pegula's head" comment) that is what reporters do. Use sources to piece together a story. You want to call it a guess, fine. It's an educated guess based on what his sources are telling him.

An "educated guess" is STILL a guess. He has no precedence to base his speculation on. Just like us, he doesn't know how Pegula, Black, et al will respond to a season like this. NO ONE KNOWS BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T FINISHED THE SEASON YET.

To suggest there are "sources" at the F'N Center "water-cooler" who know how the new regime will respond to being utterly, thoroughly embarrassed is what is ridiculous. The "sources" are more than likely the ones under review. It's like asking the criminals how they think the cops will respond to their activities.

Sure can, but most of us don't have the benefit of being around the F'n C every day and talking to players, staff, etc and learning about what's going on behind the scenes - who is meeting with who, what the "water cooler chatter" (for lack of a better term) is, etc.

The staff and the players are the ones being evaluated! What do you think they will say? "Damn, Paul, I've been playing like crap, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the boot over the summer..."

I don't. He's a boob. Came in here crying and now has all of US crying because he's in love with some phantom team that does not exist. I bet the old jackass thinks Gilbert Perrault is still on the ###### team. ###### Pegula.

Wow...seriously, wow -horribly vicious overreaction. Do us a favor and get over yourself. No one's happy here about what's going on, but you are taking it to a another crappy level

This is what ateam looks like when they quit on their coach. Another proof is how well they played (not because of Patrick but Lindy's absense), when he was not behind the bench.

This game tonight went to the crapper at the start of the second. If you noticed, this also coinsides with the d-pairing scramble. Myers and Ehrhoff started off as bad as possible. Talbot owned Myers on that first shift. What does Ruff do? Puts Myers and Sekera together, leaving Weber to play with Leopold. These two may make the worst pair in known history. Leo watched th second goal go in. What does Lindy do? puts him back out there on the next shift. The Defense are in pairs for a reason. They are not reffered to as Right or Left D. These guys are not interchangable as much as Ruff wants them to be.

If they quit on Ruff, they quit on Patrick too. Barney could have been behind the bench for the Boston game and they would have played the exact same way. They played awful for 2 periods against Dallas, only managed to rally and win with 1 good period of hockey. We sucked against Tampa. The team sucks. Maybe they have quit on Ruff. But if you honestly think that the absence of Ruff had anything to do with that Boston game, you've just got Ruff-hater glasses on.

An "educated guess" is STILL a guess. He has no precedence to base his speculation on. Just like us, he doesn't know how Pegula, Black, et al will respond to a season like this. NO ONE KNOWS BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T FINISHED THE SEASON YET.

To suggest there are "sources" at the F'N Center "water-cooler" who know how the new regime will respond to being utterly, thoroughly embarrassed is what is ridiculous. The "sources" are more than likely the ones under review. It's like asking the criminals how they think the cops will respond to their activities.

The staff and the players are the ones being evaluated! What do you think they will say? "Damn, Paul, I've been playing like crap, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the boot over the summer..."

I'm out. Not gonna keep debating this with you.

If they quit on Ruff, they quit on Patrick too. Barney could have been behind the bench for the Boston game and they would have played the exact same way. They played awful for 2 periods against Dallas, only managed to rally and win with 1 good period of hockey. We sucked against Tampa. The team sucks. Maybe they have quit on Ruff. But if you honestly think that the absence of Ruff had anything to do with that Boston game, you've just got Ruff-hater glasses on.

Well put.

They've quit on everybody, mostly themselves. This is the inevitable result when little talent meets less heart. For the sake of his sanity, I hope Lindy takes a year off, recharges his batteries, and then takes his pick of whatever jobs are available. He'll still be coaching long after most of these stiffs wash out of the league.

GO SABRES!!!

Maybe I did not explain this well enough. The question was what do players look like that quit on their coach.

If they wanted their coach fired, they would play the way they have been. If the coach was not behind the bench, they play better, as to say look we are better w/o you. The fact that Patrick or anyone else was behind the bench is irrelevant.

And yes I do hate what Ruff brings to the table. I spend my money and time hoping to be entertained every game night. He is one of the main reasons why I do not enjoy games from a team I like in a sport I love.

I'm out. Not gonna keep debating this with you.

Sorry, but you're under the impression the Sabres' brass are foolish enough to share REAL information with a reporter. It's doesn't work that way, not at the Sabres', not in the government, not in any competent business. Reporters are tools of those who they report on. I've talked about this before, do a forum search.

Sorry, but you're under the impression the Sabres' brass are foolish enough to share REAL information with a reporter. It's doesn't work that way, not at the Sabres', not in the government, not in any competent business. Reporters are tools of those who they report on. I've talked about this before, do a forum search.

I would like to concur, reporters are TOOLS! :worthy:

Maybe I did not explain this well enough. The question was what do players look like that quit on their coach.

If they wanted their coach fired, they would play the way they have been. If the coach was not behind the bench, they play better, as to say look we are better w/o you. The fact that Patrick or anyone else was behind the bench is irrelevant.

And yes I do hate what Ruff brings to the table. I spend my money and time hoping to be entertained every game night. He is one of the main reasons why I do not enjoy games from a team I like in a sport I love.

Right, I get it, but my point was they played ONE great game out of three without Ruff behind the bench. Other than that they looked like the exact same team. The Boston game had literally nothing to do with Ruff, it was about the Sabres players and the Bruins players. They weren't showing up Ruff, they were showing they weren't going to be a bunch of intimidated babies every single time they play Boston. It's definitely looking like they have quit, and that is an indictment of Ruff....but that Boston game was not them performing because he wasn't there. It was all about trying to salvage some semblance of pride.

Right, I get it, but my point was they played ONE great game out of three without Ruff behind the bench. Other than that they looked like the exact same team. The Boston game had literally nothing to do with Ruff, it was about the Sabres players and the Bruins players. They weren't showing up Ruff, they were showing they weren't going to be a bunch of intimidated babies every single time they play Boston. It's definitely looking like they have quit, and that is an indictment of Ruff....but that Boston game was not them performing because he wasn't there. It was all about trying to salvage some semblance of pride.

How are you so sure? I'm making general hypothetical statements. Bottom line is they played better than they have been for at least the first two games. Pride Ruff What does it matter? Any win over the last couple months is a good performance for them.

Well there's your problem - you are equating the Sabres with a competent business. The government comparison I could see, but competent business? :P

I've read your thoughts before (mainly in the blogger summit discussion) and I am also a reporter (mostly freelance, and mostly high school and college/amateur sports) and have also worked on the sports PR side briefly. I just find it very interesting that as a former reporter you are so quick to discount Hamilton having any possible sources who could be telling him that this is what they are hearing, and that this is what's happening, this is the mood around the front office, these are the meetings that are going on, etc. I'm not saying that you are incorrect, but I am saying that I believe Hammy has sources who are telling him things off the record and they are solid enough sources that he feels comfortable putting two and two together. Speculation, educated guesses, whatever you want to call it, but I think he has a background or base for his comments.

Like everything else - there is no black & white anymore, only shades of gray, especially in journalism.

How are you so sure? I'm making general hypothetical statements. Bottom line is they played better than they have been for at least the first two games. Pride Ruff What does it matter? Any win over the last couple months is a good performance for them.

They were 3-0-1 the previous 4 games with Ruff behind the bench. The lone loss was to the conference-leading Rangers, in a game where the Sabres out played them and Lundqvist simply stole it. I'm becoming convinced that Ruff has to go, and if he stays (which I expect), then there needs to be a significant roster turnover. But I also think a lot of BS criticisms get tossed in his direction and false points made, and pointing to his absence in the Boston game is one of those.

Wow people, reel it in a bit, it's not like you couldn't see it coming. This season was over a while ago (even though many, including myself, held on a little longer than should have). The venting should not be spewed now, it should be a time to accept the reality that surfaced months ago. This team has SERIOUS problems that are getting exposed more and more as time goes on. It's like getting mad at the Bills when they were 0-8 last year. At least this is happening now, before the trade deadline and with plenty of time to evaluate the excess fat on this team.

These are the players as I see being on this team 100% next year and as you can see, there is only one Center on there. I can see Ennis being packaged with Miller for an upgrade somewhere but for the most part, there is a LOT of work to be done. I have a feeling Miller is getting pretty fed up with this team and is going to be on his way out. Look no further than the Philly series last year. Talented forwards are far more valuable than solid goaltending. Sabres have a defense to build on so it is time to step it up BIG TIME on O.

Myers

Adam

Pommer

Vanek

McNabb

Kassian

Ehrhoff

Regher

Leino

Speculation, educated guesses, whatever you want to call it, but I think he has a background or base for his comments.

I don't wish to go in circles with this meme, my prior statements stand as a response to what I haven't quoted from you here. It seems important, though, to develop upon something I have already said. Hamilton may have a background reporting hockey and all of its drama, but that doesn't mean what he has seen, which has only been as an outsider, is in any way applicable to the present situation. The cast for this drama is different, the circumstances are rather dire, the latter of which makes activities less predictable if the prediction is predicated strictly on what has already passed.

While we can all don hats of the dilettante psychologist, businessman, and hyper wealthy individual, unless we have sincere experience in any one area, we are only making "best guesses". Hamilton is a professional REPORTER, not a professional businessman, not a hockey-team owner, not a certified empath (as far as I know, at least). The experience, knowledge and wisdom he needs to make a guess better than what any of us can make he does not have. How come no one has put up Paul Hamilton as a GM candidate?

The information we all get is information someone wanted us to have. Reporters are called "gatekeepers" for a reason. I sincerely don't understand why this is difficult to accept. And I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, either, please don't take it that way.

Damn, I forget what I'm responding to. That should be it.

I'll just go out on a limb here and say who gives a ###### what Hamilton thinks he knows? Can't you people form your own thoughts?

So, we're supposed to consult with nobody anymore? When planning a vacation, shall I also refrain from checking the weather channel, too?

Wow...seriously, wow -horribly vicious overreaction. Do us a favor and get over yourself. No one's happy here about what's going on, but you are taking it to a another crappy level

No, I don't think I am. So now what?

We suck, period.

But in other news, I hit some tennis balls last night with Jay McKee, pretty cool, he's really good and still in great shape. He still gets.together with Mike and Kristen Peca for doubles with Teppo, although he was the only one there last night.

Didn't ask much about the team as it wasn't really appropriate. Figured this may break up the monotony of the past few pages of negativity(that is well deserved)

Good night all

Cheers!!

So, we're supposed to consult with nobody anymore? When planning a vacation, shall I also refrain from checking the weather channel, too?

No, I don't think I am. So now what?

You can vent all you want and we are all pissed, but you don't impress me with your lame name-calling of TP.... Call me crazy, but it appears you are the one acting like a crybaby. Give the guy a chance to retool after this s###show of a season is over. My $$ has some surprising changes on the way.

Wow people, reel it in a bit, it's not like you couldn't see it coming. This season was over a while ago (even though many, including myself, held on a little longer than should have). The venting should not be spewed now, it should be a time to accept the reality that surfaced months ago. This team has SERIOUS problems that are getting exposed more and more as time goes on. It's like getting mad at the Bills when they were 0-8 last year. At least this is happening now, before the trade deadline and with plenty of time to evaluate the excess fat on this team.

These are the players as I see being on this team 100% next year and as you can see, there is only one Center on there. I can see Ennis being packaged with Miller for an upgrade somewhere but for the most part, there is a LOT of work to be done. I have a feeling Miller is getting pretty fed up with this team and is going to be on his way out. Look no further than the Philly series last year. Talented forwards are far more valuable than solid goaltending. Sabres have a defense to build on so it is time to step it up BIG TIME on O.

Myers

Adam

Pommer

Vanek

McNabb

Kassian

Ehrhoff

Regher

Leino

I'll buy that as wishful thinking. But I might add Ennis and Gerbe.

Archived