Buyers or Sellers?

LGR4GM

He had two years remaining on his contract when he signed. Did he believe he would be here longer? That's a bit of a risk. I think he made his decision (and yes... HE MADE HIS DECISION..) to come to Buffalo, perhaps because he thought they might be in better shape than Calgary. The season went into the toilet and that changes things. Perhaps he wants to go to a city where he can help someone win this year. We wouldn't know if he approached the Sabres and said, "Hey, if you can move me I am good with it but it has to be to a cup contender." unless he told us.

It's at least a possibility. You can choose to approach conversations in the manner above but in the end you'll only be talking to yourself.

I'm with this sentiment here.

What about a Enroth/Schneider goalie rotation?

I have no desire to trade Miller. The return would have to be substantial.

Unloading 3 out of Roy, Stafford, Pommer and Leopold would free up $11MM in cap space. Add that to the $10MM in expiring UFA contracts of Boyes, Gaustad and Hecht (but subtract $2.5MM to bring back Ennis and Kaleta) and there is plenty of room to remake the Sabres' highly disappointing group of forwards by bringing in Parise, a couple of other quality veterans who know how to win and a couple of hungry kids.

Pominville really looks to be a player moving UP the ladder in terms of his overall skills and desire and IMO needs to remain a Sabre more than almost anyone aside from the rookies we've all mentioned. And if Regehr is being shopped it definitely is because he wants to go, and the eggwash this will most assuredly create on the face of Pegula and Black is something I can really see being a necessary embarrassment for them to get off their ###### and start really putting their money where their mouths are. This Regehr thing, if it turns out to be true, will only make them more savvy in the future to avoid this kind of giggle fest in the media.

Pominville really looks to be a player moving UP the ladder in terms of his overall skills and desire and IMO needs to remain a Sabre more than almost anyone aside from the rookies we've all mentioned. And if Regehr is being shopped it definitely is because he wants to go, and the eggwash this will most assuredly create on the face of Pegula and Black is something I can really see being a necessary embarrassment for them to get off their ###### and start really putting their money where their mouths are. This Regehr thing, if it turns out to be true, will only make them more savvy in the future to avoid this kind of giggle fest in the media.

I agree. The smugness and guffaws coming from some former players and media types when talking about Pegula and the sabres trying to 'buy' a cup is at times over the top. It gets tiring when the sabres are the butt of jokes when watching other teams broadcasters. The Lucic incident was where it ramped up imo and it hasn't really stopped till recently when the walking wounded returned and they started showing results albeit small ones.

Schneider is a great goalie. A starter in most cities. He And Enroth would be sweet but it won't happen with Miller around.

Schneids will be in play before the draft. He's too important to trade before. Luongo has some teams he struggles with and Schnieder will get starts in the playoffs.

This team can not physically survive a playoff series so until that changes we wait. I still vote sell.

whether we make the playoffs or not, I think is irrelevent. This team needs to sell no matter what. I would be fine with a first round bounce this season if it meant some GOOD (key word) roster changes, that better this team in and for the long haul.

Unloading 3 out of Roy, Stafford, Pommer and Leopold would free up $11MM in cap space. Add that to the $10MM in expiring UFA contracts of Boyes, Gaustad and Hecht (but subtract $2.5MM to bring back Ennis and Kaleta) and there is plenty of room to remake the Sabres' highly disappointing group of forwards by bringing in Parise, a couple of other quality veterans who know how to win and a couple of hungry kids.

It's going to be a boring one. Most teams don't really have the flexibility right now to bring in one of those multi-year contracts. League-wide, you'll see a bunch of the pending UFAs moved, but that's about it. Roy and Leopold are possibilities with only one year remaining with favorable cap hits, but not too many teams are even going to make a move like that. Stafford will be sticking around, as three years is a bit much for someone to budget for right now.

So looking at that likely outcome, hopefully they can find a way to bring back a couple young guys on top of the few picks they'll get.

By this logic, we should trade all of our draft picks because we don't like the guys we've drafted.

Or you could look at the players we've traded for over the past few years and compare them to who we've drafted. That comparison would move you to never ask Darcy to trade for an NHL player again.

The Sabres need to get better at both areas. At least with the draft, they've given us some reason to believe over the past few years.

Thats not what I am saying, My comment is in regards to people who keep saying Darcy drafts so well.

As for the Bolded part, yes, I agree, I would like to see Darcy never Draft, trade, sign or enter the Sabres front office ever again.

Schneider is a great goalie. A starter in most cities. He And Enroth would be sweet but it won't happen with Miller around.

Schneids will be in play before the draft. He's too important to trade before. Luongo has some teams he struggles with and Schnieder will get starts in the playoffs.

I don't see what the big rush is to sell Miller. He's one of the few players that is both high profile and wants to be in Buffalo. A known commodity shipped away for the chance that two goalies that have only seen backup duty in the NHL will be consistent on a nightly basis. We saw how Enroth's play declined once he started consecutive games. Who is to say that both Schneider/Enroth will turn into our own version of the Philly tandem that we were blasting last year in the playoffs. And we have nowhere near the forward talent to hold up to the Philly/Chicago mold discussed earlier.

It's going to be a boring one. Most teams don't really have the flexibility right now to bring in one of those multi-year contracts. League-wide, you'll see a bunch of the pending UFAs moved, but that's about it. Roy and Leopold are possibilities with only one year remaining with favorable cap hits, but not too many teams are even going to make a move like that. Stafford will be sticking around, as three years is a bit much for someone to budget for right now.

So looking at that likely outcome, hopefully they can find a way to bring back a couple young guys on top of the few picks they'll get.

Moving Stafford isn't as impossible as you might be making it out to be. Its true, there aren't many teams with cap space available to take him on for prospects or picks, but moving him to a team may require the Sabres to take salary back in a deal. Stafford could go somewhere to a team that thinks he can bounce back with a change of scenery, if the Sabres are willing to bring back a guy that is taking up cap space on their roster. I cannot see the Sabres trading Pomminstein. He has stepped up and played very well since being named captain. To trade him away now its going to make the franchise look worse to players, being a team willing to sell off its first year captain

Not sure I agree with the bolded part. I think most teams have substantially more cap room next year than they do this year -- and most have enough room to take on a $4MM or $5MM guy if they think he's the right guy (like DR thought was the case with Boyes -- doh!). Now, that's not to say that most teams will be inclined to take Stafford at $4MM for the next 3 years, but I don't think it will be because of a cap crunch.

I don't see what the big rush is to sell Miller. He's one of the few players that is both high profile and wants to be in Buffalo. A known commodity shipped away for the chance that two goalies that have only seen backup duty in the NHL will be consistent on a nightly basis. We saw how Enroth's play declined once he started consecutive games. Who is to say that both Schneider/Enroth will turn into our own version of the Philly tandem that we were blasting last year in the playoffs. And we have nowhere near the forward talent to hold up to the Philly/Chicago mold discussed earlier.

I generally agree, but I think the desire to unload Miller is because of his cap hit. It's not an unreasonable view, IMHO. Most here are (justifiably) unhappy with the construction of this team, and cap space is a critical component to any rebuild.

Still, I would keep Miller. He's found his mojo at long last (probably because he's finally all the way back from his concussion) and when he's on, he's an elite player.

I cannot see the Sabres trading Pomminstein. He has stepped up and played very well since being named captain. To trade him away now its going to make the franchise look worse to players, being a team willing to sell off its first year captain

I think you are right that they won't trade him. I'm not sure it would make the franchise look worse. Shipping out Roy, Stafford, Pommer and Gaustad -- i.e. 4 of the 5 letter-wearers from this year -- might simply make it clear that they are determined to win and that this year's results were totally unacceptable.

I think you are right that they won't trade him. I'm not sure it would make the franchise look worse. Shipping out Roy, Stafford, Pommer and Gaustad -- i.e. 4 of the 5 letter-wearers from this year -- might simply make it clear that they are determined to win and that this year's results were totally unacceptable.

Also, I think the captaincy thing is a little different in today's NHL. It isn't made such a big deal like it was in the olden days when captaincy meant something (leadership, veteran, etc.) Now it's more who goes to talk to the ref during penalties and stoppages. As nfreeman said, shipping out all of the letter wearers at once would probably send a positive message to the fans that the key players were not good enough this year and the team is moving in a different direction for better or worse.

Plus, trading Pomminvile while his value is at an all time high might not sting as much when you get some talented pieces back. Better than hanging on to him and watching him regress next year (see Stafford, Drew and Roy, Derek)

Not sure I agree with the bolded part. I think most teams have substantially more cap room next year than they do this year -- and most have enough room to take on a $4MM or $5MM guy if they think he's the right guy (like DR thought was the case with Boyes -- doh!). Now, that's not to say that most teams will be inclined to take Stafford at $4MM for the next 3 years, but I don't think it will be because of a cap crunch.

Boyes had only one year left, not that big of an investment. Take a look at last year's deadline deals. The only players with more than a year left on their deal who were moved were:

-David Steckel (two years left at an 1.1 million cap hit)

-Rostislav Klesa (three years left at 2.975 million)

That's the whole list right there (non-propect, NHL players anyway), not exactly jaw dropping salaries. Those kind of deals are incredibly unlikely.

was thinking of starting a new thread for this because it actually sounds legit but i wasn't sure how to and i didn't want any backlash, so if someone wants to begin one, please do:

top story on nhl.com " Columbus Blue Jackets General Manager Scott Howson declined to comment on a report by French-language TV station RDS that Jackets captain Rick Nash has been placed on the trading block. "

sounds like CBJs are looking to sell sell sell...which shouldn't be a surprise.

i believe they said he was signed through 2018 at $7.8?

i think it would be awesome to have his talent on the right side of vanek.

CBJs are looking for youth/picks/goalie.

i would be fine with enroth or miller going.

stafford is young enough

and how many up and coming blueliners do we have to join in?

i think there is some way that we could work out a deal with them (my above statement is not the deal btw)

but question is....do you want him?

do you fear him going to toronto or the rags?

he is an elite forward in my opinion....

thoughts?

was thinking of starting a new thread for this because it actually sounds legit but i wasn't sure how to and i didn't want any backlash, so if someone wants to begin one, please do:

top story on nhl.com " Columbus Blue Jackets General Manager Scott Howson declined to comment on a report by French-language TV station RDS that Jackets captain Rick Nash has been placed on the trading block. "

sounds like CBJs are looking to sell sell sell...which shouldn't be a surprise.

i believe they said he was signed through 2018 at $7.8?

i think it would be awesome to have his talent on the right side of vanek.

CBJs are looking for youth/picks/goalie.

i would be fine with enroth or miller going.

stafford is young enough

and how many up and coming blueliners do we have to join in?

i think there is some way that we could work out a deal with them (my above statement is not the deal btw)

but question is....do you want him?

do you fear him going to toronto or the rags?

he is an elite forward in my opinion....

thoughts?

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20969-2012-trade-deadline-thread/

Unless we could drug Howson and torture him into taking Stafford and Leino off our hands for Nash, I want nothing to do with him or his contract. Any realistic deal we could put together for him would probably involve Myers, Kassian and a pick, or something humongous like that. I just don't think it helps our team to get a second Vanek...we already can't properly utilize 1, how in the hell do we utilize 2? If we're betting the farm on a big-time player, it better be for a top center. Otherwise, I just don't think it brings us closer to being a contender in the near term, and certainly not the long term.

I don't want a full rebuild, and I don't think one is necessary or even possible. I do want to shed some fat, i.e., Stafford, Roy, and a goalie. Even one of the Sekera/Gragnani duo is fine (with different expected returns for each, of course). But there certainly are players to keep, too.

I don't want a full rebuild, and I don't think one is necessary or even possible. I do want to shed some fat, i.e., Stafford, Roy, and a goalie. Even one of the Sekera/Gragnani duo is fine (with different expected returns for each, of course). But there certainly are players to keep, too.

I agree a full on rebuild is unnecessary but I would sit through one. Thats how much I hate my team this season. Its an embarrassment.

I would sit patiently through four plus years of missing the playoffs if I at least got to watch a team that CARES! I see five guys total on this roster who give a damn. Mike Keenan can build around Vanek and Pominville and the young guys and in four years we'd be right in it, and all the time in between we'd be worth watching because of their heart and determination.

But for GOD'S SAKE!!!

FIRE DARCY REGIER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived