GDT: Sabres at Canadiens 1/31/12 7:30PM

spndnchz

Yepper. I know it's only one game but he's looked pretty good at center, especially in the D zone where I thought his size would be a problem. It's nice to see him making room on the ice, too. Speed kills.

Ennis reminds me of Datsyuk. They need to keep him and develop him. An amazing talent with great potential, potential that's blooming before our eyes. (Or maybe he's like Afenigenov with more persistance?)

Yeah, Patty with the empty net insurance goal! 3-1 Sabres

Good to see Kaleta get a reward for the hard work he put in all game long. I think he was was just trying to negate the icing, but Montreal D were so sluggish he had a wide open shot. Good on 'im.

That was the best and most complete game since the mid-December win over Toronto, if not all season.

Agreed, but remember, it was only the Canadians. In a way that's a good thing; let them build confidence. Take it one game at a time. Rattle off a hot streak and they are right back in the playoff hunt, and if they hit the playoffs hot, who knows what will happen? No one wants to play that team that worked their @sses off just to make the 8th seed; that makes for a scary first round.

A little OT, but did anyone take in the Nashville-Minnesota game after the Sabres went off? Minnesota comfortably up 4-1 approaching the mid point of the third period; Nashville rattled off 4 goals in just over 10 minutes to win in regulation. WOW.

Ennis reminds me of Datsyuk. They need to keep him and develop him. An amazing talent with great potential, potential that's blooming before our eyes. (Or maybe he's like Afenigenov with more persistance?)

Good to see Kaleta get a reward for the hard work he put in all game long. I think he was was just trying to negate the icing, but Montreal D were so sluggish he had a wide open shot. Good on 'im.

Agreed, but remember, it was only the Canadians. In a way that's a good thing; let them build confidence. Take it one game at a time. Rattle off a hot streak and they are right back in the playoff hunt, and if they hit the playoffs hot, who knows what will happen? No one wants to play that team that worked their @sses off just to make the 8th seed; that makes for a scary first round.

A little OT, but did anyone take in the Nashville-Minnesota game after the Sabres went off? Minnesota comfortably up 4-1 approaching the mid point of the third period; Nashville rattled off 4 goals in just over 10 minutes to win in regulation. WOW.

The Minneosota game was similar to the Pitts/Tor game on at the same time, Toronto at one point was up 4-1, Pittsburgh tied it with 6 seconds left and went on to win in the shootout

As for the comment 'Its only the Canadians", well they did embarass the same Redwings team that embarrassed the Sabres on teh game before the all star break.........

I come right out and say it: Malkin is the best player in the league.

your not the only one saying that, many people are saying he has stepped in and filled the role of top player with Crosby out of the lineup

I come right out and say it: Malkin is the best player in the league.

I say it's Datsuyk, but right now Malkin is as hot as can be.

Either way, refusing to pick Russians in the draft can easily backfire. Just like picking Russians in the draft comes with added risks as well. And I'm not saying that Russian players are cancers or don't play hard, but the emergence of the KHL makes it more likely that Russian players return to Russia early or never even make it to the NHL in the first place.

I say it's Datsuyk, but right now Malkin is as hot as can be.

Either way, refusing to pick Russians in the draft can easily backfire. Just like picking Russians in the draft comes with added risks as well. And I'm not saying that Russian players are cancers or don't play hard, but the emergence of the KHL makes it more likely that Russian players return to Russia early or never even make it to the NHL in the first place.

It's worth noting that the two Russians in question for this year's draft have already left Russia and are playing junior hockey up in Canada. That's typically a good sign that they want to be here.

It's worth noting that the two Russians in question for this year's draft have already left Russia and are playing junior hockey up in Canada. That's typically a good sign that they want to be here.

That's all well and good, but there are special circumstances when drafting Russian players. The KHL is almost competitive when it comes to player saleries, that serves as a stronger motivation to return than for other European leagues that operates on a completely different level. Also, Russia has not approved the transfer regulations between the IIHF and NHL, so it's easier for Russian players to bail out of contracts and go home than for players from other countries.

I think the combination of a much stronger domestic league and the potential legalities involved are why there are less and less Russians playing in the NHL.

That's all well and good, but there are special circumstances when drafting Russian players. The KHL is almost competitive when it comes to player saleries, that serves as a stronger motivation to return than for other European leagues that operates on a completely different level. Also, Russia has not approved the transfer regulations between the IIHF and NHL, so it's easier for Russian players to bail out of contracts and go home than for players from other countries.

I think the combination of a much stronger domestic league and the potential legalities involved are why there are less and less Russians playing in the NHL.

We're specifically talking about Yakupov and Grigorenko here. None of this even applies.

What is the rope line experience?

You get to go just outside the locker room (where all the Sabres names are on the wall) and watch the team come out of the locker room and oh just watch this lol

When will people learn YOU HOLD THE PHONE SIDEWAYS WHEN YOU FILM!!!

I realize this doesn't have much to do with the Canadiens game anymore, but just out of curiosity, how do you figure that this doesn't apply to these two Russians?

They're playing in Canada right now. They have every intention of being here. There is no issue with transfer agreements since they do not play for a Russian league team.

Seriously, this is what they are subjected to before every home game? Zoo animals on display. No wonder they're not relaxed enough to concentrate on the game - the show takes priority. That sucks. This is first time in a while I have empathy for the team.

I had the same feeling watching those videos. What's next, the fans checking the players' teeth before they go out on the ice?

There's a time and place to get up close and personal with the players. Just before taking the ice for a game is definately not one of them in my book. Fans have no place inside the sanctum and, even though it's not the locker room, it's still a team gathering place.

They'd NEVER consider letting fans back there AFTER a game for obvious reasons. I think pre-game is just as obvious.

GO SABRES!!!

They're playing in Canada right now. They have every intention of being here. There is no issue with transfer agreements since they do not play for a Russian league team.

Ok, I got you. So my point still stands, since there's no formal agreement between the KHL and the NHL to honor each others contracts that potential issue still applies. I know that they have a 'mutual understanding' to not go after each others players, but there is a potential legal hazzle there that no other league is subject to.

Not that I think either of the two prospects we're talking about are planning on signing a deal and then bolting, but it is still a potential issue you have to consider. Just ask the Predators about how they feel about their first round pick that signed with the KHL while under contract with Nashville and is, as far as I know, the leading scorer over there by now. He played in Canada as well, and even a season I think for the Predators before taking off for Russia.

Seriously, this is what they are subjected to before every home game? Zoo animals on display. No wonder they're not relaxed enough to concentrate on the game - the show takes priority. That sucks. This is first time in a while I have empathy for the team.

those are some huge leaps you're taking there. it may not suit your style or your personal preferences, but there's no way in hell it's detracting from the team's performance.

I had the same feeling watching those videos. What's next, the fans checking the players' teeth before they go out on the ice?

that'd be a short process, in any event.

There's a time and place to get up close and personal with the players. Just before taking the ice for a game is definately not one of them in my book. Fans have no place inside the sanctum and, even though it's not the locker room, it's still a team gathering place.

i respect that. and, for my own part, i would want no part in the rope line experience. but, inasmuch as none of us are pro hockey players, i think we have no way of knowing how the team feels about the matter. it'd be interesting to hear what they have to say, especially after one of them leaves the team and is no longer obliged to toe the company line.

those are some huge leaps you're taking there. it may not suit your style or your personal preferences, but there's no way in hell it's detracting from the team's performance.

No way in hell? How can you be sure of THAT?

Isn't one of Lindy's favorite excuses for a home loss that "they were trying too hard to put on a show"? This does nothing but reinforce that mindset IMHO.

You get to go just outside the locker room (where all the Sabres names are on the wall) and watch the team come out of the locker room and oh just watch this lol

snip

When will people learn YOU HOLD THE PHONE SIDEWAYS WHEN YOU FILM!!!

HOW?! how do you get access to these kinds of things?! not the general populous. i mean you specifically.

eff, you're lucky. have fun!!

Archived