Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

This.. is true. They'll all be late. Most of my profs would change the 8ams to 9ams. And then show up themselves at 11.

There's also the whole fact that I'm only 24... and some of these kids could potentially be transfers and be older than me. Could be kind of odd.

It happens. My wife was older than several of her teachers at her most recent school. Her attitude, at least, was she was there to learn and as long as you have something to teach everyone will be fine.

This.. is true. They'll all be late. Most of my profs would change the 8ams to 9ams. And then show up themselves at 11.

There's also the whole fact that I'm only 24... and some of these kids could potentially be transfers and be older than me. Could be kind of odd.

Any idea what the subject matter would be? Like an intro course, or something on illustration?

Any idea what the subject matter would be? Like an intro course, or something on illustration?

I wrote you a whole message about it when you get a chance. It's Illustration. Multimedia. Combining traditional and digital. Twice a week, studio course, 3 credits- a major class. I took the course back when I was an undergrad and Chad taught it. It's definitely up my alley, I've always been torn between the two methods and usually combine them for freelance. I like running crits and can certainly get the kids interested in new/old illustrators and help them figure out what they're actually going to use their degree for. If I get a kid who wants to pinstripe cars, I'll ask you to find a car door for them to practice on :)

Not sure I'm mean enough to do it- what if I get some kid who draws nothing but furries and bad anime?

It happens. My wife was older than several of her teachers at her most recent school. Her attitude, at least, was she was there to learn and as long as you have something to teach everyone will be fine.

Not that I've had a ton of students older than me, but the ones I've had have been more respectful and interested in what I have to say than 18 and 19 year olds.

I wrote you a whole message about it when you get a chance. It's Illustration. Multimedia. Combining traditional and digital. Twice a week, studio course, 3 credits- a major class. I took the course back when I was an undergrad and Chad taught it. It's definitely up my alley, I've always been torn between the two methods and usually combine them for freelance. I like running crits and can certainly get the kids interested in new/old illustrators and help them figure out what they're actually going to use their degree for. If I get a kid who wants to pinstripe cars, I'll ask you to find a car door for them to practice on :)

Not sure I'm mean enough to do it- what if I get some kid who draws nothing but furries and bad anime?

:lol:

You don't have to be mean, just make sure that students understand the objectives of the course. If anime and furries are not part of the objective then make sure that is established.

:lol:

You don't have to be mean, just make sure that students understand the objectives of the course. If anime and furries are not part of the objective then make sure that is established.

I remember a girl in my classes who was a medical illustrator. She was technically one of the best artists I've encountered. Yet, for every assignment that she could, she would incorporate furries. They were painted beautifully, the style was enviable, it would fit whatever narrative in some way, but... they were furries. And creepy. We'd blast her for subject matter in crit but really, there's only so much you can do besides cringe. Diff'rent stroke fur diff'rent folks. Prof didn't really know what to do.

Not that I've had a ton of students older than me, but the ones I've had have been more respectful and interested in what I have to say than 18 and 19 year olds.

True. I've taught high schoolers who are the best at just giving you dog face. Blank stares... no participation... It's the worst.

In Cleveland for a mini vacation.... Seeing walk off the earth at the house of Blues.... Was given free tix to the amerks/monsters game tonight and won free cavaliers floor seats for tomorrow's game from a local radio station, also got 4 free yuenglings from the beer girls down here at Harry buffalo..... Great night.... And I'm hammered.... Life is good

In Cleveland for a mini vacation.... Seeing walk off the earth at the house of Blues.... Was given free tix to the amerks/monsters game tonight and won free cavaliers floor seats for tomorrow's game from a local radio station, also got 4 free yuenglings from the beer girls down here at Harry buffalo..... Great night.... And I'm hammered.... Life is good

Harry Buffalo is a good time. That's a nice little strip of bars down there in Cleveland. I remember there being a little tequila joint down the street about a block or so that I had a great time in before an Indians vs Twins game where I saw CC pitch against Santana. Unfortunately after the game the entire city went to sleep and it was me and my group of 8 drinking alone in a verrrry large craft beer bar called the Boneyard. We were all thinking "Cleveland rocks? Bulls***!"

Harry Buffalo is a good time. That's a nice little strip of bars down there in Cleveland. I remember there being a little tequila joint down the street about a block or so that I had a great time in before an Indians vs Twins game where I saw CC pitch against Santana. Unfortunately after the game the entire city went to sleep and it was me and my group of 8 drinking alone in a verrrry large craft beer bar called the Boneyard. We were all thinking "Cleveland rocks? Bulls***!"

Yeah that whole strip is like a mini chippewa, we're staying in a hotel right downtown, so walking distance from 90% of everything, we may try that tequila place tonight before the game..... Got some other stuff planned today, aquarium, science museum, rock and roll HOF, zoo tomorrow..... I drank so much at the house of Blues last night, I'm gonna go to the lobby and make that waffle. Iron my B!tch and try and get rid of this hangover

This documentary that was released a few days ago on Hulu is an outstanding look at the man behind the Gran Turismo racing game series. If you're at all interested in art, video games, cars, racing, engineering, or Top Gear, you should watch this. It's beautiful, well produced and Kazunori really draws you in as a person.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/585548

Pond hockey. Finally got out today and had a ball for a couple of hours. Snowshoed yesterday. Now, some venison sausage and then a game tonight! Gonna be so tired. But in the best way.

Bow chicka... what.

It's been so cold here that all of our ponds are brittle and cracking from overuse. We shoveled off a bit of a reservoir but it was already almost too cracked after like ~6 hours of 3 people skating on it.

A friend/coworker may let me borrow his airbrushing setup so I can learn the basics. Then I'm going to buy my own. Then I'm going to paint goalie masks. This is happening. I swear.

On that note, does anyone have any tips/info on airbrushing? I've had a couple people ask me to paint/design goalie helms for them, and it's something I've wanted to do for awhile anyways.

I just got asked to teach an entire course at RIT this spring. I don't have a teaching degree. I've done a couple small summer intro to illustration classes for high schoolers. The most teaching I ever did was martial arts for a few years quite a while ago. All I can say is... the department must be hella desperate to be coming after local alumni to fill their faculty holes.

I may not get it, I may not say yes, my bosses at my full time may not even let me take the time to do it but... I guess I'm just sitting here in awe. I knew the dept. was in trouble but I didn't know it was this bad. Kinda makes me sad. I honestly don't see my repertoire as impressive enough to make sixteen 19-22 year olds listen to me. They're 8 am classes- I guess if I brought in donuts and coffee we could get through anything!!!

Congrats that's quite a feet. Especially with RIT being a top notch college. :) I've done too much partying there in my time.

A friend/coworker may let me borrow his airbrushing setup so I can learn the basics. Then I'm going to buy my own. Then I'm going to paint goalie masks. This is happening. I swear.

On that note, does anyone have any tips/info on airbrushing? I've had a couple people ask me to paint/design goalie helms for them, and it's something I've wanted to do for awhile anyways.

When you are looking for an air compressor, make sure it has a pressure gauge and a moisture filter (more important in the summer than now, but...)

When air gets compressed, moisture gets "squeezed" out. Extra moisture can make your paint too runny. Also, don't scrimp on the airbrush. I've always been a Paasche fan but Badger and Aztek are good, too.

When mixing up the paint, it should be the consistency of milk. That's about all I know. (I never painted a goalie masks, just racing car models...)

When you are looking for an air compressor, make sure it has a pressure gauge and a moisture filter (more important in the summer than now, but...)

When air gets compressed, moisture gets "squeezed" out. Extra moisture can make your paint too runny. Also, don't scrimp on the airbrush. I've always been a Paasche fan but Badger and Aztek are good, too.

When mixing up the paint, it should be the consistency of milk. That's about all I know. (I never painted a goalie masks, just racing car models...)

Awesome. Any advice is great! I'd love to work on cars/cycles, too. Dream of mine to have a rat rod and paint on it. Someday I wanna figure out pinstriping... but I'm not known for my steady hand. I love building models, I could see me painting some of my old airplanes. I figure I'd start with watercolor or some super thinned out acrylic. I hear there's models that are different in terms of flow- more expensive brushes will let you control your airflow with pressure, others are just full blast all the time. I'd expect to do most of the base color/shading via airbrush and then the outer linework with a good liner brush to even out the fuzzyness and keep it sharp.