What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I have not had any of those three dishes at 716, but everything that I have had has been a complete and utter disappointment.  Damn, I think their food is horrible.  Like I'd rather eat Arby's.

So I'm going total junk next time with the egg rolls, I guess.

This has been my experience as well. Everything i've gotten has been on the "meh" to "disgusting" scale. I do not recommend 716 to anything other than beer drinking and watching the game.

The wife and I are both under the weather so I made us each a big mug of hot chocolate with a candy cane spoon, some whipped cream vodka(double for me) and some real whipped cream. I've been telling her that booze is good for you when your sick. She's starting to listen.

I finally tried putting vinegar in my poached egg water as was suggested here long ago, to keep the egg whites from spreading out too much. Other than the odd sheen it gives the whites and the slightly funky smell it gives the eggs (only detectable if you really sniff), it worked beautifully.

I finally tried putting vinegar in my poached egg water as was suggested here long ago, to keep the egg whites from spreading out too much. Other than the odd sheen it gives the whites and the slightly funky smell it gives the eggs (only detectable if you really sniff), it worked beautifully.

My Dad always cheats on his eggs benedict and uses one of those poaching pans. I told him he should try legit poached eggs one day and he complained how they always break apart in the water. I knew there was a trick but I couldn't remember at the time.

It was an eggcellent suggestion.

Punny.

• 3 weeks later...

So, one of my major plans now that I'm past the holidays is to re-evaluate my eating habits. It's no secret that I've struggled with getting sick a lot the last few years, and I think a major factor is that I'm not getting enough of that good stuff. And by good stuff, I mean vegetables. Greens and friends. 

Before I started working this desk job, I was known in my factory jobs as "the sandwich guy". Everyone else always looked upon my giant daily lunch sandwich with lust. Hearty bread, cheese, a heaping of meat, and another heaping of lettuce. Miracle whip, mayo or mustard. Extra-large sandwich bags stretched to their seams. I also used to take a side of some kind of finger vegetable. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots. While my peers ate Burger King, I ate like a king. I always told them my sandwich was my favorite part of my day. I wasn't kidding. 

I want to get back to this. And I want to take it to the next level. 

My first step is with the greens. I need to get more creative with the leafy green. I have to branch out and move beyond romaine or green leaf lettuce. If it looks like it could go on a sandwich, I'm going to try it. 

Then I need to get more Cruciferae. Cabbage, kale, turnips, horseradish, broccoli, cauliflower and many more. I think I can do this a couple of ways.

One thing I want to try is building up my sandwich dressing. I see it as a vessel for things you can't just eat alone. I want to take mayo and mix in raw garlic and maybe even horseradish. That sandwich could have some zip, and it would be EASY. 

Speaking of garlic, let's get more alliums. Onion, leeks, chives. Onions are easy to add to a sandwich. Or maybe chop up some chives and stick em in the custom mayo. 

I'm just spit-balling, but I think there have got to be ways to take my lunch game to the next level every day, starting today. 

So, one of my major plans now that I'm past the holidays is to re-evaluate my eating habits. It's no secret that I've struggled with getting sick a lot the last few years, and I think a major factor is that I'm not getting enough of that good stuff. And by good stuff, I mean vegetables. Greens and friends. 

Before I started working this desk job, I was known in my factory jobs as "the sandwich guy". Everyone else always looked upon my giant daily lunch sandwich with lust. Hearty bread, cheese, a heaping of meat, and another heaping of lettuce. Miracle whip, mayo or mustard. Extra-large sandwich bags stretched to their seams. I also used to take a side of some kind of finger vegetable. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots. While my peers ate Burger King, I ate like a king. I always told them my sandwich was my favorite part of my day. I wasn't kidding. 

I want to get back to this. And I want to take it to the next level. 

My first step is with the greens. I need to get more creative with the leafy green. I have to branch out and move beyond romaine or green leaf lettuce. If it looks like it could go on a sandwich, I'm going to try it. 

Then I need to get more Cruciferae. Cabbage, kale, turnips, horseradish, broccoli, cauliflower and many more. I think I can do this a couple of ways.

One thing I want to try is building up my sandwich dressing. I see it as a vessel for things you can't just eat alone. I want to take mayo and mix in raw garlic and maybe even horseradish. That sandwich could have some zip, and it would be EASY. 

Speaking of garlic, let's get more alliums. Onion, leeks, chives. Onions are easy to add to a sandwich. Or maybe chop up some chives and stick em in the custom mayo. 

I'm just spit-balling, but I think there have got to be ways to take my lunch game to the next level every day, starting today. 

Not directly sandwich related, but oven-roasting vegetables is awesome and easy, especially carrots and Brussels sprouts (just "sprouts" to Huckleberry). Carrots: wash and cut into 1 inch pieces diagonally, olive oil, salt, and pepper, oven until they're soft. Sprouts: cut in half, oven until getting brown. Tip for both, use some bread to wipe up the oil, salt, and pepper from the pan; it's awesome.

Oh, I may have mentioned this before but salmon filet in the oven with any of the following things on top is awesome too: basil pesto, salt, pepper, and caraway seeds, BBQ rub, garam masala (Indian spice in a jar from Wegs), or Old Bay. Bake at 425 for around 15 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thai inspired pork tacos.

Leftover shredded pork fried until it starts to crisp up with a sticky pineapple-habanero sauce and sambal.  Served on flour tortilla shells with shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, green onion, and drizzled with a ginger infused sour cream. 

The pineapple-habanero sauce is homemade.  It is basically a spicy pineapple jelly that didn't fully set up.  Sweet, sticky, spicy. Sambal is a garlic chili paste that has loads of garlic flavor and a good dose of heat. 

I need to buy a food truck.

My new go-to healthy breakfast: quick-cook steel cut oats made with almond milk and craisins.

Nice. I see the steel cut oats in the store. The brand is Hodgson Mills and there's a cute little blond boy on the bag. I chuckle. So how are they different than regular oatmeal?

My new go-to healthy breakfast: quick-cook steel cut oats made with almond milk and craisins.

Does not compute.  See below.

Nice. I see the steel cut oats in the store. The brand is Hodgson Mills and there's a cute little blond boy on the bag. I chuckle. So how are they different than regular oatmeal?

Steel cut oats are basically minimally processed oats.  They are uncooked and cut.  Rolled oats (think the stuff in the cylinders with the Quaker on the label) are processed, steamed and pressed between rollers.  The steaming makes them cook faster, but it also changes the texture and flavor.  Steel cut oats take a long time to cook, but have the bran intact and are generally considered more "whole grain" and therefore healthier.  We make them in a crock pot overnight and wake up to breakfast ready to go.

I'm not sure how they make steel cut quick cooking oats unless they par cook them after cutting.

• 5 weeks later...

Hit up Good Tymes South in Depew for wings after work tonight and I was very impressed. $5 for 12 wings on Tuesdays. Got a beef on weck to go with it and it was good too. Big sandwich. I highly recommend it.

Last time I was in Good Tymes was about 1989.  The cigarette smoke hung from the ceiling to about shoulder height like a heavy fog.

Those were the days......

I'm doing our corned beef n cabbage a little early. I'm doing it like my grandma did, a corned eye round with just cabbage, potato and carrots. Mrs. iT is making chocolate marshmallow cupcakes with homemade buttercream frosting. Smells pretty good in here.

I'm doing our corned beef n cabbage a little early. I'm doing it like my grandma did, a corned eye round with just cabbage, potato and carrots. Mrs. iT is making chocolate marshmallow cupcakes with homemade buttercream frosting. Smells pretty good in here.

Nice.

Josie made me my birthday carrot cake on Friday and I've been working my way through that. She always does a helluva job.

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.