What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Making maple syrup coffee cake because nothing goes with neverending work like sugar and regret. Grading projects- maybe I should add some liquor in there. 

Why do they call it coffee cake?  Is there coffee in it, or is it eaten with coffee?

YYYYUUUUMMMM ... coffee!!

Oh, shouldn't your member title be changed to reflect the Soviet era forum motif? ... *It's always d4rkovic before the dawn*  I like that.

Also, d4rkovic is more of a southern slav name ... Yugoslavian ... than Russian, but I should be telling this to our d4rk friend.  d4rkovic translates from Bosnian / Serbian / Croatian as *son of d4rk*.  It's like Mac, or Mc, in Scottish / Irish names.

Edited by Сабли вентилятора в NS

I had a free VIP ticket to a bourbon. beer. and BBQ festival.  We were one of the first ppl into it an they had a bottle of Pappy (literally 1) that you could get tastes from, we knew it might be there so while other idiots hit up the VIP tent to stuff their faces with bbq we went on a bourbon hunt and sure enough we found it.  1 taste per person (my buddy got 2) and it was gone about 10 minutes after they opened.  

So, it is very smooth. The smoky oak flavor is strong but not overpowering to start.  It finishes with vanilla but unlike some bourbon where you think you may have tasted vanilla, this you really do.  I think it was very good but it is over hyped.  The best part was the smoothness and lack of burn.  I had about 15 Bourbons yesterday an it was the best but not by such a large margin it makes paying a ton for a bottle worth it.  

:blink: How were you still standing?  lol sounds like a good time, and jealous about the Pappy.

Making maple syrup coffee cake because nothing goes with neverending work like sugar and regret. Grading projects- maybe I should add some liquor in there. 

I really miss the clapping emoticon, so I'll go with  :thumbsup: .  I've been attempting to rediscover produce the last couple days after a Shamrock shake hangover (is that a thing?) had me craving junk the last week.  Made one ugly-azz green smoothie yesterday morning that (thankfully) tasted better than it looked.

Potato becoming Borscht and the ensuing photo of borscht has me wanting, uh, borscht. I've never had it. I love beets. Is this a soup someone who has trouble heating up pizza could make? Any good recipes? That's a dollop of sour cream on top, right? It's a beautiful presentation.

Potato becoming Borscht and the ensuing photo of borscht has me wanting, uh, borscht. I've never had it. I love beets. Is this a soup someone who has trouble heating up pizza could make? Any good recipes? That's a dollop of sour cream on top, right? It's a beautiful presentation.

It is very easy.  You are silly man to ask in this Google age.  Secret is dollop of smetana (sour cream if smetana not available) just before serving.  

1. St. Pauli’s Girl –  Good beer, without a ton of character.  A lot like Heineken without whatever it is, probably yeast, that makes Heineken distinctive.  I prefer Heineken, but skunk comes forward more in this.  It reminds me of sticky green.  High hoppy notes on St. Pauli Girl.  Nice label.  6/10.
  2. Great Lakes Brewing Dortmund Gold – A bit like hoppier version of Budweiser Black Crown.  Too sweet for my taste also.  I don’t like caramel.  5/10.
  3. Sierra Nevada Flipside – 6.2% - I like it.  It’s got a lot of character.  Pleasant lingering taste.  Sitra, simcoe, and centennial hops it says.  Doesn’t taste too heavy.  It’s got a late summer early fall feel to it.  8/10.
  4. Southern Tier Centennial – 4.9%  - I love it.  It’s lovely.  Like perfume.  Very dynamic tasting experience with each sip.  It starts smooth and fragrant, then the lemony hops kick in.  I could drink a few.  Pleasantly dry, and very much approachable. 10/10.
  5. Ellicottville Brewing Company Fall Festival Lager – 5.6% - Disgusting.  Tastes like being flashed by well costumed transvestite.  Initial repulsion fades to a depressing malt finish.  Definitely not my style.  One of these expensive things that I think I should like, and might act that I like in certain company, but just don’t. 1/10.
  6. Saranac Legacy IPA – 6.5% - Pleasant floral, citrusy.  I find the flavor tropical.  To me it is a bit more complex and approachable than Souther Tier’s famous IPA.  I wouldn’t drink it all day, but a glass with breakfast would be most appreciated. 9/10
  7. Ramen Noodles - 0.0% - it seems I have spent all of my money on beer, and I am not terribly hungry, but for 35 cents, I put a package in my pocket just for safe keeping.

I love Borscht, but have never tried to make it.  Ate a lot of it back in the day when I spent a summer in Finland.  There are stylistic differences between the different regions with a lot of different ingredient options (the potato variety is good).  The only constant seems to be beets:   http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/mar/04/borscht-whisperer/

(Supposedly) easy recipe: http://www.cookthestory.com/2014/12/22/easy-borscht-recipe/

I love Borscht, but have never tried to make it. Ate a lot of it back in the day when I spent a summer in Finland. There are stylistic differences between the different regions with a lot of different ingredient options (the potato variety is good). The only constant seems to be beets: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/mar/04/borscht-whisperer/

(Supposedly) easy recipe: http://www.cookthestory.com/2014/12/22/easy-borscht-recipe/

Hmm. I may need to try my hand at this.

I love Borscht, but have never tried to make it.  Ate a lot of it back in the day when I spent a summer in Finland.  There are stylistic differences between the different regions with a lot of different ingredient options (the potato variety is good).  The only constant seems to be beets:   http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/mar/04/borscht-whisperer/

Beets.  Bears.  Battlestar Galactica.

Beets are awful.

It is very easy.  You are silly man to ask in this Google age.  Secret is dollop of smetana (sour cream if smetana not available) just before serving.  

1. St. Pauli’s Girl –  Good beer, without a ton of character.  A lot like Heineken without whatever it is, probably yeast, that makes Heineken distinctive.  I prefer Heineken, but skunk comes forward more in this.  It reminds me of sticky green.  High hoppy notes on St. Pauli Girl.  Nice label.  6/10.
  2. Great Lakes Brewing Dortmund Gold – A bit like hoppier version of Budweiser Black Crown.  Too sweet for my taste also.  I don’t like caramel.  5/10.
  3. Sierra Nevada Flipside – 6.2% - I like it.  It’s got a lot of character.  Pleasant lingering taste.  Sitra, simcoe, and centennial hops it says.  Doesn’t taste too heavy.  It’s got a late summer early fall feel to it.  8/10.
  4. Southern Tier Centennial – 4.9%  - I love it.  It’s lovely.  Like perfume.  Very dynamic tasting experience with each sip.  It starts smooth and fragrant, then the lemony hops kick in.  I could drink a few.  Pleasantly dry, and very much approachable. 10/10.
  5. Ellicottville Brewing Company Fall Festival Lager – 5.6% - Disgusting.  Tastes like being flashed by well costumed transvestite.  Initial repulsion fades to a depressing malt finish.  Definitely not my style.  One of these expensive things that I think I should like, and might act that I like in certain company, but just don’t. 1/10.
  6. Saranac Legacy IPA – 6.5% - Pleasant floral, citrusy.  I find the flavor tropical.  To me it is a bit more complex and approachable than Souther Tier’s famous IPA.  I wouldn’t drink it all day, but a glass with breakfast would be most appreciated. 9/10
  7. Ramen Noodles - 0.0% - it seems I have spent all of my money on beer, and I am not terribly hungry, but for 35 cents, I put a package in my pocket just for safe keeping.

:wub:

Beets.  Bears.  Battlestar Galactica.

Beets are awful.

You sir, are broken.

I think the ingredient you're thinking of is "skunked". Heineken almost always tastes like it's been left out in the sun.

Pirog beer in-stock round-up:

- Yards Rye IPA: 6.7% (I think), nice, not super hoppy (in American IPA terms, in normal beer terms it's very hoppy). The Rye makes for a nice spicy taste. Pours dark brown, large-bubble head that dissipates fairly quickly.

- Troegs Java Head: ?% (probably in the 5s), nice roasty stout, with coffee tones but not overwhelmingly so. My wife says it tastes a little metallic, but she's really sensitive to that.

- Deschutes Fresh-squeezed IPA: In interesting IPA, lots of citrus notes with the hops; my wife loves this stuff, I like it too but I don't drink it much to leave it for her.

- Deschutes Obsidian Stout: A really nice roasted stout from out west. This is my wife's other favorite beer right now. I like it alot too, although I'm not in as much of a stout mood lately.

- Victory Dirt Wolf: 8+%. I love this stuff, but the last bottle has been hanging around for a few weeks. With my lack of tolerance lately opening an 8+% beer has to be an event (or I'm cooking), and I haven't had time lately.

As for food, I have a 4.5lb brisket corning in the fridge. Gonna have a Pi-day party (naturally).

Heineken is the usual example, but any beer in green or clear bottles are prone to "skunking".  It comes from the light wavelengths that those bottles allow to pass through which causes a photochemical reaction with isomerized hop derived compounds in the beer that leads to the distinctive skunk effect.  It doesn't have to be the sun either, store lights can cause the skunking too... get Heineken on draft or from a can it's a totally different beer usually.

Maybe this belongs in the whisky thread.  Maybe here.  But it's here.

I had several of something involving muddled lemons, mostly bourbon, some sort of ginger liquor, and some sort of Middle Eastern spice infused simple syrup.

Holy boys, she blew!

I apologize in advance for any posts tonight, past, present, and/or future.

Damn, this was one good cocktail.  Well, they were three good cocktails.  All because I told the bartender that I was in a rut.

I had several of something involving muddled lemons, mostly bourbon, some sort of ginger liquor, and some sort of Middle Eastern spice infused simple syrup.

Holy ###### boys, she blew!

Damn, this was one good cocktail.  Well, they were three good cocktails.  All because I told the bartender that I was in a rut.

Well, this whole post gave us nothing of value.

Pay attention next time, drunkie.

I got lazy and skipped to this sentence, read the rest, thought you hooked up with one hella nice bartender chica. I was stoked for you, and maybe slightly interested in where this bar was tbh  :ph34r:

Still, a few really nice drinks ain't a bad night  :thumbsup:

Nice.  Sound like maybe a variation on a whiskey smash?

http://liquor.com/recipes/whiskey-smash/

Nice.  Sound like maybe a variation on a whiskey smash?

http://liquor.com/recipes/whiskey-smash/

Definitely not.  That, itself, is a lemony julep.

Although someone almost did get smashed.  A fourth, and I would have been carried home.

Reminds me of my second-favorite Dorothy Parker, actually:

"I like to have a martini.  Two at the most.  After three I'm under the table, after four, I'm under my host."

Definitely not.  That, itself, is a lemony julep.

Although someone almost did get smashed.  A fourth, and I would have been carried home.

Reminds me of my second-favorite Dorothy Parker, actually:

"I like to have a martini.  Two at the most.  After three I'm under the table, after four, I'm under my host."

Similar ingredients, though, if you omit the mint and sub in the ginger liquor.

Similar ingredients, though, if you omit the mint and sub in the ginger liquor.

Yes.  This was much more like a spicy* Manhattan than a lemony julep, though.  

I will get an approximation of the recipe for you and weave!

*Spicy like spiced, not spicy like hot.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.