What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Now that. The weather has gotten more enjoyable it is time to get this holiday weekend rolling.

I'm on my 2nd pour of Woodford Resaerve, a growler of Southern Tier Live soon to be cracked, a lineup of meat skewers soon to be paraded out, and an epic batch of pork and beans.

2 sets of pork skewers, one is bathing in an asada marinade (lots of citrus, cilantro, and jalapeno), the other is getting a tikka masala treatment.

And 2 sets of beef skewers, Jamaican Jerk and a Korean marinade.

Last weekend: made paella on the grill, chicken, shrimp, and scallops.

This weekend: Salmon, pork loin, and Zweigles on the grill (with Texas Hot Sauce from the packet and Weber's). I'm kinda mad the local Wegmans only stocks Sahlen's skinless and not the good dogs now. I have to have a word with the manager.

Edited by MattPie

Ohhhh, barbacoa. Was the recipe good? Link?

It was pretty good (especially over the rice), but I won't make any claims about authenticity since I've only ever had it from Chipotle. ;) This is the rice recipe, but there are links in the text to barbacoa beef and pork:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/fiesta-lime-rice.html

Tonight's dinner for me was peanut butter frozen yogurt after a 3.5 hr dentist appt had me not wanting to chew anything, lol.

Had sloppy joes earlier...fantastic! I mean, who doesn't love sloppy joes? And now that I'm good and sauced and its a completely unacceptable time to be eating, I'm gonna have some pepperoni pizza hot pockets.

I had forgotten about that earlier post. Everything is all floaty. Four doses in one week (two today and two, what, Monday? Tuesday? whatever) is enough; I hate this stuff. Plus, it interferes with normal drinking. And eating. It is horrible stuff, on par with, I don't know, heroin? I've never tried heroin. It probably feels like Robitussin.

Is it bad that 'tussin has barely any effect on me at all?

I made what might have been the best meatball sub in the history of hoagies, grinders and heroes. I had left over sauce in the freezer from last week. I picked up a loaf of Italian bread and thawed the sauce. After toasting the loaf in halves, I sprinkled mozzarella on both sides of the roll. The sauce which I made with a common marinara plus red wine, garlic and buffalo sauce; was ready. I had 8 turkey meatballs left in the sauce. I made them with chopped garlic, Parmesan cheese, eggs, olive oil, bread crumbs and duh...ground turkey. After placing the meatballs on the loaf, back into the oven for 15 minutes of delicious browning of the sub.

My wife and I were very satisfied.

Edited by inkman

Had sloppy joes earlier...fantastic! I mean, who doesn't love sloppy joes? And now that I'm good and sauced and its a completely unacceptable time to be eating, I'm gonna have some pepperoni pizza hot pockets.

A few days ago: hmm, I'm out of hot dogs, but still have rolls and Texas Hot Sauce (a la Seneca Texas Hots or Louie's). Will a little Weber's, the hot dog is almost unneeded.

You know how you have lost foods from your youth? That little place that's not there anymore that used to make the thing that everyone still pines over? Mine is a sub shop that used to be on Main Street. Until today, I hadn't had a really good sub since 1982. A new place came to town, right across from Subway. Ballsy. OK, I've seen 'em all come and go. Nothing could ever touch those subs out of the late 70s. Until now. I just had the most incredible salami sub. The roll was crusty, toasted to perfection, but soft inside. The salami was hard — the way I like it! — and there was a lot of it, but not too much. You need balance. The lettuce was finely shredded to perfection and cooling to the palate, the tomato slices so thin, so nearly transparent, I'd like to see chz in a sundress made of them. The provolone was good. It was hiding in the background, not dominating every bite with stringiness. But the real secret is a good sub oil, and they have it. Even better is the packaging, a wax paper sealed with masking tape. Undoing it was like undoing a bra strap, the wax paper something out of Frederick's of Hollywood, the prize a tightly packed sandwich — nothing messy and nothing spilling out, each bite contained, the layers revealed like a gastronomic archeological dig. The whole thing just worked. 1979, where have you been, my friend?

You know how you have lost foods from your youth? That little place that's not there anymore that used to make the thing that everyone still pines over? Mine is a sub shop that used to be on Main Street. Until today, I hadn't had a really good sub since 1982. A new place came to town, right across from Subway. Ballsy. OK, I've seen 'em all come and go. Nothing could ever touch those subs out of the late 70s. Until now. I just had the most incredible salami sub. The roll was crusty, toasted to perfection, but soft inside. The salami was hard — the way I like it! — and there was a lot of it, but not too much. You need balance. The lettuce was finely shredded to perfection and cooling to the palate, the tomato slices so thin, so nearly transparent, I'd like to see chz in a sundress made of them. The provolone was good. It was hiding in the background, not dominating every bite with stringiness. But the real secret is a good sub oil, and they have it. Even better is the packaging, a wax paper sealed with masking tape. Undoing it was like undoing a bra strap, the wax paper something out of Frederick's of Hollywood, the prize a tightly packed sandwich — nothing messy and nothing spilling out, each bite contained, the layers revealed like a gastronomic archeological dig. The whole thing just worked. 1979, where have you been, my friend?

It moved.

What got you? The lettuce?

I don't know about him, but you had me at salami.

For my money, if a sub shop can't make a good salami sub then I don't even care what else they have. My favorite to this day is from Picasso's in Lancaster. The sub roll makes it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.