My guess Darcy gets blown out

beerme1

Honestly, IIRC, almost every single Sabres fan wanted Darcy gone years ago after the Briere-Drury-Vanek debacle of 2007. Yet he remained and we jumped on some "his hands were tied, it was Quinn, yadayadayada" nonsense. But, aside from a couple of good trades (the Briere trade prior to the lockout being one) and a fairly strong recent draft history, he has done absolutely nothing to warrant still being at the helm after 15 years. We've been lousy since 2007 and he is the one that put this lousy roster together (and/or retained the lousy coach of said roster). Terry Pegula handed him a monster pile of cash and with the exception of Regehr, he spent it on more finesse players like Boyes, Leino, Stafford, and Ehrhoff to go along with the other finesse players who he gave long-term deals to prior. So now we're supposed to trust the guy who built this awful team to fix it after 15 years of proof that he doesn't know what he is doing? No thank you. C'mon, Terry. Do what needs to be done. Fire Darcy and regain the trust of the fans.

<end of rant>

This.

I think the big reason DR deserves more of the blame is that he is in charge of the entire hockey operation. He is the bottom line in terms of hiring the HC, building the roster, and drafting the prospects.

At least from my perspective his had screwed up too many times. Too many lives lost, this being (hopefully) the final one. Lindy at last has had some success without the deepest ownership pockets. Still it's time for them both to go.

I think the big reason DR deserves more of the blame is that he is in charge of the entire hockey operation. He is the bottom line in terms of hiring the HC, building the roster, and drafting the prospects.

I'm guessing that you're also implying that he can fire the head coach as well. It just makes me wonder how exactly he can do that when the owner is out there continuing to sing his praises in the midst of these struggles.

To me, those two are riding in the same exact boat. And yes, someone feel free to make a joke about that Italian cruise ship. I would myself but I'm not sure who best to compare to the captain that bailed and left everyone to die.

I still can't understand how we can argue to keep one over the other. You have a GM who isn't brining in the right pieces and a coach who is getting absolutely nothing out of his players. Why does one deserve any more credit (or blame) than the other?

Purely for the sake of scientific curiosity, I'd want to see one would do without the other, since they cannot be separated in the data (other than the first year when Lindy coached a team not built by Darcy.) However, my scientific curiousity isn't enough for me to risk more of the same from either of them.

Purely for the sake of scientific curiosity, I'd want to see one would do without the other, since they cannot be separated in the data (other than the first year when Lindy coached a team not built by Darcy.) However, my scientific curiousity isn't enough for me to risk more of the same from either of them.

Well you'll get your wish when they wind up as a part of some other organization somewhere down the road.

Well you'll get your wish when they wind up as a part of some other organization somewhere down the road.

Nobody should be afraid of this happening. Sure it'll happen but who cares. Worry about improving this club now and for the future. I'm not talking about you Shrader but I think a lot of people are afraid to let players,coaches etc. go because they might find success elsewhere. Move on from whats holding you back,make incremental improvements till we can compete for the cup.I'm sure they would find success with or without each other.

To me, those two are riding in the same exact boat. And yes, someone feel free to make a joke about that Italian cruise ship. I would myself but I'm not sure who best to compare to the captain that bailed and left everyone to die.

Tom Golisano

Nobody should be afraid of this happening. Sure it'll happen but who cares. Worry about improving this club now and for the future. I'm not talking about you Shrader but I think a lot of people are afraid to let players,coaches etc. go because they might find success elsewhere. Move on from whats holding you back,make incremental improvements till we can compete for the cup.I'm sure they would find success with or without each other.

I know that I'm not afraid of that (I actually posted something along the lines of "they may have success elsewhere, but I don't care" in a thread within the last two days), and I suspect that Shrader isn't either.

Who gets the blame for lack of chemistry? That's the prob. They have the skill to win. Boston won 3 more games than the Sabres last year in regular season. Three! Yeah, second season, blah blah blah, but Darcy addressed that to the best of his ability in the off season. If Roy is low character and a big part of the problem, ######. That signing by Darcy was viewed as "Wow! great deal!". So easy to sit here and criticize. It's time for change no doubt. I'd start with Lindy, sadly. Though I suppose the case could be made that a new GM will be less attached and could get the job done with less emotional attachment / pride to swallow when making the corrections. This sucks. These are our guys.

1 week to make a player-for-player deal. If none, then fire him and try to bring in the new perma-GM asap. (Dudley?) An interim GM can make the player-for-pick moves, and I agree w/ freeman that those deals are better made at the deadline.

Tom Golisano

I was thinking the fans, but that's pretty good too.

I know that I'm not afraid of that (I actually posted something along the lines of "they may have success elsewhere, but I don't care" in a thread within the last two days), and I suspect that Shrader isn't either.

Not one bit. They both need to go at this point and they'll both wind up back in the NHL in some form.

Well Carp I never said you nor Shrader were afraid of anything. Many people and Darcy (it would seem)are though and this team and their fanbase need to move on from that. This team will never succeed with that thinking.

Pediction: TB will go on radio this AM and tell us they're staying. Obviously, not much of a prediction. We can only hope it's just rhetoric.

Well, he sorta did. The interview started with him saying the feelings on Ruff and Regier haven't changed. It was brought up again later on, and he basically said "I'm not going to undermine anybody in public." To me, it means changes are at least an option, but regardless of how bad it gets they aren't going to come out and rip Ruff/Regier in public. And I agree with the approach, it's not a good business model to air dirty laundry in public. Keep everything in house.

edit: Another important part of the interview, he went through saying "I don't know if I"ll have a job next year, because I have a boss. You don't know you'll have a job. I can't sit here and say everybody will have a job next year, because you just don't know that."

Well, he sorta did. The interview started with him saying the feelings on Ruff and Regier haven't changed. It was brought up again later on, and he basically said "I'm not going to undermine anybody in public." To me, it means changes are at least an option, but regardless of how bad it gets they aren't going to come out and rip Ruff/Regier in public. And I agree with the approach, it's not a good business model to air dirty laundry in public. Keep everything in house.

edit: Another important part of the interview, he went through saying "I don't know if I"ll have a job next year, because I have a boss. You don't know you'll have a job. I can't sit here and say everybody will have a job next year, because you just don't know that."

He also implied that changes are coming at the roster level. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm guessing that you're also implying that he can fire the head coach as well. It just makes me wonder how exactly he can do that when the owner is out there continuing to sing his praises in the midst of these struggles.

It's as simple as Pegs saying..."I was wrong. Things are not working out. Something had to change. We need results."

It's as simple as Pegs saying..."I was wrong. Things are not working out. Something had to change. We need results."

Exactly, you don't lose credibility by making a change when you said nothing would change, you lose credibilty when the ship is sinking fast and you don't do anything to right the ship.

LOL. Sadly Eklund is saying the same thing:

http://www.hockeybuz...p?post_id=41459

This is my favorite part of the article:

The most ridiculous rumor I have ever heard was the one circulating yesterday of Ryan Miller asking for a trade. Miller would NEVER ask for a trade. He is all about winning and only about winning in Buffalo. You would be hard pressed to find a player more loyal or would be more insulted at such a rumor.

Yeah, this guy does get his ###### onn here, i'm convinced. Look at the time of this topic post and thew time of this blog post...lol

LOL. Sadly Eklund is saying the same thing:

http://www.hockeybuz...p?post_id=41459

This is my favorite part of the article:

The most ridiculous rumor I have ever heard was the one circulating yesterday of Ryan Miller asking for a trade. Miller would NEVER ask for a trade. He is all about winning and only about winning in Buffalo. You would be hard pressed to find a player more loyal or would be more insulted at such a rumor.

Yeah, this guy does get his ###### onn here, i'm convinced. Look at the time of this topic post and thew time of this blog post...lol

And you just paid for his lunch.

Is Scotty still consulting for the Black Hawks?

I say fire Darcy. This team is built entirely by him, and the leadership void left by the departures of Drury, Briere, and, I would argue, a guy like Jay McKee has never been filled since. In fact, there is a GAPING VOID in leadership -- not to mention mental and physical toughness -- on this team. He inherited the "hardest working team in hockey," and created one of the softest, most fragile teams in the league. Yes, he has acquired very good players as well (Myers, Vanek), but the larger body of work over 14 years suggests a team not built to make a legitimate run deep into the playoffs. The Miller-Lucic incident may be the defining signal that this team needs a serious (not necessarily wholesale) makeover.

I say hire Scotty as interim GM. I don't know if he's even interested or available. No matter. If not Scotty, then SOMEONE ELSE with hockey acumen who can assess this team objectively from top to bottom and begin to reshape the mental and physical makeup of this team. If it is Scotty, let him do the assessment and lead the selection of a new GM. The evaluation of hockey operations would also include Lindy.

Let Scotty (and then the new GM) assess Ruff, make player moves, and re-fashion this team in a new image, with a new philosophy on the types of players we need to win championships...including attitude/character, size, speed, role on the team, etc. (Not to forget scoring ability). I'm not suggesting a fire sale or turnover of three quarters of the roster. But there are players who are not drinking the Kool-Aid on this team who need to be moved.

Start with Darcy. The head of the snake is a good place to start.

Archived