My guess Darcy gets blown out

beerme1

Since Pegula was apparently sold by everyone he spoke with that Darcy is a good GM and Lindy, well you know. But Darcy was not his contract. He has mad man love for Lindy not Darcy. Something has to be done and even he must see it.

Darcy put it all together and should be the first one responsible for its demise. Millers comments about a trade not doing anything to change this team may be right. I suspect he said that as a not too veiled shot that Lindy should be the one to go.

None of us want Darcy at the helm of any decisions anymore so lets start with him. It will send a message to everone on the team that their days are numbered and their can be no more status quo.

At this point we should be sellers. Now I dont want to even do that because I dont think we will have a real GM until the off season. Maybe one of the Pitt guys fills in until they find the real GM.

The only moves that an interm GM should make unless he is in fact a permanent GM is the trading of rental players for draft picks. Boyes and Hecht to be exact. Neither will be back.

We're done and I dont want to make it worse. If were done than we can make better moves with more planning in the off season. The rest of this mess will just continue to stink until it's over at the ned of the season.

If nothing else its a start and sends a stong message.

Since Pegula was apparently sold by everyone he spoke with that Darcy is a good GM and Lindy, well you know. But Darcy was not his contract. He has mad man love for Lindy not Darcy. Something has to be done and even he must see it.

Darcy put it all together and should be the first one responsible for its demise. Millers comments about a trade not doing anything to change this team may be right. I suspect he said that as a not too veiled shot that Lindy should be the one to go.

None of us want Darcy at the helm of any decisions anymore so lets start with him. It will send a message to everone on the team that their days are numbered and their can be no more status quo.

At this point we should be sellers. Now I dont want to even do that because I dont think we will have a real GM until the off season. Maybe one of the Pitt guys fills in until they find the real GM.

The only moves that an interm GM should make unless he is in fact a permanent GM is the trading of rental players for draft picks. Boyes and Hecht to be exact. Neither will be back.

We're done and I dont want to make it worse. If were done than we can make better moves with more planning in the off season. The rest of this mess will just continue to stink until it's over at the ned of the season.

I agree with much of this, but I think the Sabres need to unload as many of their $3MM+ guys as possible at the deadline. That's when the buyers are the most desperate -- which will both increase the Sabres' returns in trade and enable them to unload bad contracts that they won't be able to unload during the summer. That way, the new GM can go into the offseason with a lot of cap space, draft picks and general flexibility to remake the team.

I've been calling for Regiers head for a couple seasons now so I can only wish. This team is made in his image which to me is weak,small, and lacks heart. He has to go. This summer I gave him the benefit of the doubt and said I'd be the first to admit I was wrong if he actually got this team to the promised land. That doesn't appear to be happening so I'll continue to call on Pegula to put a man in place that can bring this team out of the fog. I don't trust Regier with this teams assets and would rather a new G.M. be given the keys to this lemon.

I agree with much of this, but I think the Sabres need to unload as many of their $3MM+ guys as possible at the deadline.

But since that is not the way Darcy operates and I dont think we will have a legit gm until the summer I think only guys with expiring contracts are let go. The next real GM will be able to do more to unload the rest of the $3 mil + guys under contract than an interim. And hell even if it was Ted Black and someone said we'll give you a third rounder for Boyes its ok to take it. Or try for the second. Same deal with Hecht.

See the post below for corroborating evidence.

I don't trust Regier with this teams assets and would rather a new G.M. be given the keys to this lemon.

Ding Ding Ding

Honestly, IIRC, almost every single Sabres fan wanted Darcy gone years ago after the Briere-Drury-Vanek debacle of 2007. Yet he remained and we jumped on some "his hands were tied, it was Quinn, yadayadayada" nonsense. But, aside from a couple of good trades (the Briere trade prior to the lockout being one) and a fairly strong recent draft history, he has done absolutely nothing to warrant still being at the helm after 15 years. We've been lousy since 2007 and he is the one that put this lousy roster together (and/or retained the lousy coach of said roster). Terry Pegula handed him a monster pile of cash and with the exception of Regehr, he spent it on more finesse players like Boyes, Leino, Stafford, and Ehrhoff to go along with the other finesse players who he gave long-term deals to prior. So now we're supposed to trust the guy who built this awful team to fix it after 15 years of proof that he doesn't know what he is doing? No thank you. C'mon, Terry. Do what needs to be done. Fire Darcy and regain the trust of the fans.

<end of rant>

Honestly, IIRC, almost every single Sabres fan wanted Darcy gone years ago after the Briere-Drury-Vanek debacle of 2007. Yet he remained and we jumped on some "his hands were tied, it was Quinn, yadayadayada" nonsense. But, aside from a couple of good trades (the Briere trade prior to the lockout being one) and a fairly strong recent draft history, he has done absolutely nothing to warrant still being at the helm after 15 years. We've been lousy since 2007 and he is the one that put this lousy roster together (and/or retained the lousy coach of said roster). Terry Pegula handed him a monster pile of cash and with the exception of Regehr, he spent it on more finesse players like Boyes, Leino, Stafford, and Ehrhoff to go along with the other finesse players who he gave long-term deals to prior. So now we're supposed to trust the guy who built this awful team to fix it after 15 years of proof that he doesn't know what he is doing? No thank you. C'mon, Terry. Do what needs to be done. Fire Darcy and regain the trust of the fans.

<end of rant>

DITTO!!!!!!

Pegula is a fan.... can you imagine any other Sabres fan not only employing Darcy, but paying him millions of dolalrs of their own money AND letting him run their personal business?!

I wouldn't want to pay Darcy $20 to run a lemonade stand, let alone a multi-million dollar business.

I can just see it now....

Owner: Darcy, I think it's time to we switched to Country Time mix... this WalMart stuff isn't selling

Darcy: No, no no... it's just the cool summer we're having... it'll come around... it'll come around

Owner: Darcy, I am buying it! Go get me the Country Time for ****'S sake!

Darcy: No time to panic.... I've still got this case of WalMArt brand mix that I paid $1000 for!

Pegula is a fan.... can you imagine any other Sabres fan not only employing Darcy, but paying him millions of dolalrs of their own money AND letting him run their personal business?!

Yes and no. He's a fan, but he's also an owner and an extraordinarily successful businessman. You don't get filthy rich making knee-jerk decisions and acting on emotion. Now obviously you can make the case that firing Regier isn't a knee-jerk reaction given his history here. But for a moment, try and drop your own opinions and put yourself in Pegula's shoes. He honestly believed that Regier's shortcomings (and the team's) were due to previous management/ownership limiting and/or directing what he could do. After one offseason and half of a season, is that enough time to alter your preconception? Do you think Regier deserves more time (again, from Pegula's perspective)? Everything he does is going to be measured and analytic, not reactionary. He's going to remove emotion, evaluate, and move forward just like any businessman would. And this process is probably going to take more time than fans want, and even if Regier does get fired midseason, I'd be shocked if it's just spontaneously after one game where Pegula just can't take it anymore.

I don't want them throwing in the towel right now, dump payroll and work out problems during the offseason. In a league where 75% of the teams have a mathematical shot at the playoffs with 15 games left in the season, I don't want them to ride the season out and the rest of the games be meaningless. While I think our shot at the playoffs are slim to none (closer to none) I want them to make changes NOW that may spark the team if nothing else give them a guideline for the offseason where said changes has led them. If it means a new coach, I think it's important for the new coach to finish the season out so he knows where they need to go. If it means a new GM so he can decide what to do with the coach and roster, the same thing goes. If it means trades then it will give the new players time to gel and see how they fit in with the team and what they need to address during the offseason. Throwing in the towel and riding the rest of the season out status quo will just mean next year will be an evaluation year because the new staff would be green. It is possible to make immediate changes that can benefit next year and still give fans a slight hope that there is something left of this year; at least giving the fans the impression they tried to salvage what little is left. Yes it makes sense to wait to deal when demand is higher, but I see that as the only options for teams that have no potential and have decided to rebuild. This team doesn't need to rebuild, it just needs some serious work. Rebuilding usually takes two to three years (unless you pull some massive deals like Tallon did here in FL) and I'm not sure I want to wait that long to make the playoffs again.

<end of rant>

this.

Lindy and Darcy finish the year. Darcy goes. New GM decides Lindy's fate...likely also getting turfed. TP gave those guys his endorsement and he looks bad if he blows them out now. Hard to swallow but if you are going to blow things up, why not start with a high draft pick.

PTR

this too. But that means, IMO, no trades. Let's see what these players do for a new coach first.

That crossed my mind as well, while it's unlikely the point is there. DR and LR must go, starting with DR.

Lindy and Darcy finish the year. Darcy goes. New GM decides Lindy's fate...likely also getting turfed. TP gave those guys his endorsement and he looks bad if he blows them out now. Hard to swallow but if you are going to blow things up, why not start with a high draft pick.

PTR

The only problem with this is, who handles the deadline deals? The Sabres need to be sellers. Do you trust Regier to handle these moves as a lameduck GM?

I don't want them throwing in the towel right now, dump payroll and work out problems during the offseason. In a league where 75% of the teams have a mathematical shot at the playoffs with 15 games left in the season, I don't want them to ride the season out and the rest of the games be meaningless. While I think our shot at the playoffs are slim to none (closer to none) I want them to make changes NOW that may spark the team if nothing else give them a guideline for the offseason where said changes has led them. If it means a new coach, I think it's important for the new coach to finish the season out so he knows where they need to go. If it means a new GM so he can decide what to do with the coach and roster, the same thing goes. If it means trades then it will give the new players time to gel and see how they fit in with the team and what they need to address during the offseason. Throwing in the towel and riding the rest of the season out status quo will just mean next year will be an evaluation year because the new staff would be green. It is possible to make immediate changes that can benefit next year and still give fans a slight hope that there is something left of this year; at least giving the fans the impression they tried to salvage what little is left. Yes it makes sense to wait to deal when demand is higher, but I see that as the only options for teams that have no potential and have decided to rebuild. This team doesn't need to rebuild, it just needs some serious work. Rebuilding usually takes two to three years (unless you pull some massive deals like Tallon did here in FL) and I'm not sure I want to wait that long to make the playoffs again.

Good post

Yes and no. He's a fan, but he's also an owner and an extraordinarily successful businessman. You don't get filthy rich making knee-jerk decisions and acting on emotion. Now obviously you can make the case that firing Regier isn't a knee-jerk reaction given his history here. But for a moment, try and drop your own opinions and put yourself in Pegula's shoes. He honestly believed that Regier's shortcomings (and the team's) were due to previous management/ownership limiting and/or directing what he could do. After one offseason and half of a season, is that enough time to alter your preconception? Do you think Regier deserves more time (again, from Pegula's perspective)? Everything he does is going to be measured and analytic, not reactionary. He's going to remove emotion, evaluate, and move forward just like any businessman would. And this process is probably going to take more time than fans want, and even if Regier does get fired midseason, I'd be shocked if it's just spontaneously after one game where Pegula just can't take it anymore.

You can keep beating this drum lol you might as well save this post in a word document because I am sure you are getting tired of writing it

Listen, I'm not a Darcy appologist... but, the thing most of you seem to be missing is the role of each individual within the organization. Darcy's job is to find and sign talented players and hire a coaching staff that will mold those players into a team worthy of the investments.

Since last year, we added a couple defensemen that everyone in the league seemed to agree were studs for their previous teams, a forward who's career was on a meteoric rise in Philly and we re-signed some of our more productive players.

IMO, Darcy has a good collection of talent assembled. On paper, we should be MUCH better than last year. But, we're not. Why? I'm not saying Darcy is without fault for the overall product, but what I'm seeing on that ice right now is a team that has quit on their coach... period.

When Miller said "No trade is going to fix what is wrong with this team right now," it was a telling sign. The problems are within and can only be fixed from within. The problem is either with the system we play or the fact that the players have completely lost confidence in the coach and each other. Either way, that sounds like a coaching change with a fresh perspective is needed to me.

Keep Darcy or toss him out with Lindy, but he has done HIS job adequately.

Why does one deserve any more credit (or blame) than the other?

I think the big reason DR deserves more of the blame is that he is in charge of the entire hockey operation. He is the bottom line in terms of hiring the HC, building the roster, and drafting the prospects.

Archived