Regier Looking to Deal: LeBrun

HopefulFuture

Bob McKenzie said something very similar on NHL Network. He also mentioned Leino, Leopold, Regher and Miller. He said the biggest isses with all the players is that they have big contracts and some time left while they are all underperforming. He even went as far as saying Regier was going to have a hard time getting the proper value for those players until they start performing.

To paraphase what he said on Miller specifically, 'Who wants to trade for a goalie, having his worst professional season with two years of $6.25 under contract?'

Bob McKenzie said something very similar on NHL Network. He also mentioned Leino, Leopold, Regher and Miller. He said the biggest isses with all the players is that they have big contracts and some time left while they are all underperforming. He even went as far as saying Regier was going to have a hard time getting the proper value for those players until they start performing.

To paraphase what he said on Miller specifically, 'Who wants to trade for a goalie, having his worst professional season with two years of $6.25 under contract?'

The islanders...oh wait DP is clogging up a lot of cap space to sit on IR.

I'm a little surprised to see Regehr's name thrown in there. Granted, it's just a rumor, but along with Myers, he'd probably the only defenseman I'd want to keep because his skill set is different from any of the other defenders on the roster (physical, veteran presence, defensive defenseman, etc.).

I still think people underestimate what we can get in a trade for Roy/Stafford in particular. Coaches and GMs have planet-sized egos, they always think they're so special they can turn around underperformers. Look how often Gratton got traded. Scott Gomez had one of the worst contracts in the history of the NHL, and he plus a few low level prospects got moved for a package that included Ryan McDonagh and a few low level prospects. McDonagh is now on the Rangers top pairing with Dan Girardi, the top record in the league, and the 2nd best defense in the league. You can always find a team who sees raw talent in an underachiever and is willing to take a chance.

The problem, as I see it, is that Regier is looking for a top-6 for top-6 deal, which I find unlikely. Anybody interested in acquiring Roy or Stafford is in win now mode, and it's highly unlikely they trade away one of their better players, unless he himself is seriously underperforming and has an albatross of a contract....in which case, this move doesn't help the Sabres long-term. I think our best options are to write off this year, sell off Boyes/Leopold/Gaustad/Hecht for mid-round picks and then see what we can do with Roy and Stafford. I think Roy is borderline very moveable, and a team like Chicago that needs a #2 center and has ridiculous center depth in the organization seems like a natural fit. They have 3 center prospects which project to the top 6, and I think we could pry one of them away in a deal, plus whatever requisite players are needed to make the salaries work. Frankly, I think a lot of Roy's shortcomings either go away or become relatively unimportant if he's filling the proper role on a team, that of a #2 center. On Chicago he'd be behind Toews, wouldn't be responsible for top defensive assignments, and probably wouldn't be asked to kill penalties. It seems like a perfect fit to me.

I'm a little surprised to see Regehr's name thrown in there. Granted, it's just a rumor, but along with Myers, he'd probably the only defenseman I'd want to keep because his skill set is different from any of the other defenders on the roster (physical, veteran presence, defensive defenseman, etc.).

I was surprised when I heard it too because I think he has a no trade clause in his contract.

I still think people underestimate what we can get in a trade for Roy/Stafford in particular. Coaches and GMs have planet-sized egos, they always think they're so special they can turn around underperformers. Look how often Gratton got traded. Scott Gomez had one of the worst contracts in the history of the NHL, and he plus a few low level prospects got moved for a package that included Ryan McDonagh and a few low level prospects. McDonagh is now on the Rangers top pairing with Dan Girardi, the top record in the league, and the 2nd best defense in the league. You can always find a team who sees raw talent in an underachiever and is willing to take a chance.

The problem, as I see it, is that Regier is looking for a top-6 for top-6 deal, which I find unlikely. Anybody interested in acquiring Roy or Stafford is in win now mode, and it's highly unlikely they trade away one of their better players, unless he himself is seriously underperforming and has an albatross of a contract....in which case, this move doesn't help the Sabres long-term. I think our best options are to write off this year, sell off Boyes/Leopold/Gaustad/Hecht for mid-round picks and then see what we can do with Roy and Stafford. I think Roy is borderline very moveable, and a team like Chicago that needs a #2 center and has ridiculous center depth in the organization seems like a natural fit. They have 3 center prospects which project to the top 6, and I think we could pry one of them away in a deal, plus whatever requisite players are needed to make the salaries work. Frankly, I think a lot of Roy's shortcomings either go away or become relatively unimportant if he's filling the proper role on a team, that of a #2 center. On Chicago he'd be behind Toews, wouldn't be responsible for top defensive assignments, and probably wouldn't be asked to kill penalties. It seems like a perfect fit to me.

Isnt patrick sharp their #2 center?

Isnt patrick sharp their #2 center?

They like Sharp as a winger. The reason they tried Kane at center to start the season was they wanted Sharp permanently on the wing. Even now I believe they play Bolland a lot at the #2 center spot, and he's clearly a 3rd liner. Sharp is like a good version of Hecht....he can play center and not kill you, but it really isn't where you want him if you can at all help it.

I was surprised when I heard it too because I think he has a no trade clause in his contract.

Wonder if he'd waive it to go to a contender? His contract is short enough where he could be attractive to a team looking to add veteran presence and a solid d-man. Rangers maybe? Although IIRC they were looking for a puck-moving d-man. It might make sense, if the Sabres totally blow it up, his contract is over after next season and I doubt he signed here with that sort of rebuild in mind. :(

I agree with consensus that two of the three aren't top six forwards. Look at DR's last three deadline acquisitions: Boyes, Torres, Moore. The last two were supposed to be top six also. They left here to be 3rd and 4th line players on contenders last year. Does this organization know what a top six forward is?

I agree with consensus that two of the three aren't top six forwards. Look at DR's last three deadline acquisitions: Boyes, Torres, Moore. The last two were supposed to be top six also. They left here to be 3rd and 4th line players on contenders last year. Does this organization know what a top six forward is?

Funny you ask that question.

What did Regier spend to get Torres? I know Moore and Boyes he gave up 2nd round picks for them.

First name that came to mind. Admittedly he wouldn't but you get the idea.

He's the first guy I think of as well...

...when I think no skill, not a modecum of talent, journeyman, JAG, AHL player, guys who look like Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds, etc...

That only means that there will be GMs interested, GM's love finding the "diamonds in the rough" or "players needing a change of scenery", but they aren't looking at giving up much to get them

Yeah. Last year at the trade deadline. I know I keep beating this drum but it was the right thing to do. Sabres MGT missed there chance to blow the thing up and get a quick rebuild started. Now we are in a cap mess and are at the mercy of teams that know we are not dealing from a position of strength. MGT really dropped the ball in their evaluation of this team last season.

Right now I would be happy if Roy and Stafford we dealt for a couple of ready-for-NHL prospects with top 6 projections. Get them here, get them in NHL games, get the next era started.

Oh, this right here. I was SO hoping we'd deal Stafford after last season.

We won't get any top 6 players in return for our guys now but we might get prospects with that potential. That'll be enough to make me happy. Add to the new core (Myers and Co.) by blowing up the current core.

Oh, this right here. I was SO hoping we'd deal Stafford after last season.

We won't get any top 6 players in return for our guys now but we might get prospects with that potential. That'll be enough to make me happy. Add to the new core (Myers and Co.) by blowing up the current core.

Agree totally. I think the best we can do at this point in the season is rid ourselves of the rotten core...

Archived