So, who would you target to obtain?

Weave

My point is that your suggestion on what it would take to get Getzlaf -- i.e. "Roy, Stafford, Weber/McNabb or our 1st rd pick" is so far from reality that it is effectively (if not intentionally) BS.

Or, as others might better phrase it:

Merely your opinion, pure speculation. You don't know what it woulld take to land Getzlaf, just like I don't. I put the "just a guess" disclaimer in there because that's all it is. Just a guess.

Debate the guess, that's fine, but to call it BS is absurd. You are not Darcy Regier, and as such haven't a clue wihat it would take either. :P

But if it makes individuals such as yourself feel better by calling another board members input garbage and crap.......have at it.....tis the season ;)

While highly unlikely, I think it's not totally absurd to discuss the acquisition of Getzlaf. It has to be linked with Miller's wife and the Ducks' goaltending woes to make any sense at all.

So we have to assume that they are at their wits end with Hiller and have given up on him.

So what will it take?

Certainly Miller (meaning we'd get Hiller back) plus...Adam?...or Roy?...or Myers?...plus throw in Stafford and a 2nd round pick?

We own two 2nd round picks in the next draft. We could include one of those plus one of the above combinations plus Miller. THAT might do it - if we assume the opening premise of Anaheim's frame of mind is correct.

And while improbable, it's not totally out of the realm of impossibility.

While highly unlikely, I think it's not totally absurd to discuss the acquisition of Getzlaf. It has to be linked with Miller's wife and the Ducks' goaltending woes to make any sense at all.

So we have to assume that they are at their wits end with Hiller and have given up on him.

So what will it take?

Certainly Miller (meaning we'd get Hiller back) plus...Adam?...or Roy?...or Myers?...plus throw in Stafford and a 2nd round pick?

We own two 2nd round picks in the next draft. We could include one of those plus one of the above combinations plus Miller. THAT might do it - if we assume the opening premise of Anaheim's frame of mind is correct.

And while improbable, it's not totally out of the realm of impossibility.

Where have I heard that before?

I say we sign the Marine Drill Instructor who starred in Full Metal Jacket as our motivation and desire coach. If you play lazy and blow assignments you get 2 weeks of no play just PT (physical Training/ torture) That will get em playing and then you dont need to trade...

LOL..A joke for sure but I would love to watch it happen..

I say we sign the Marine Drill Instructor who starred in Full Metal Jacket as our motivation and desire coach. If you play lazy and blow assignments you get 2 weeks of no play just PT (physical Training/ torture) That will get em playing and then you dont need to trade...

LOL..A joke for sure but I would love to watch it happen..

R. Lee Ermey? He is the man. I'm down for this hiring, only if he will yell at Ruff and Regier as well.

Back to the fantasy land trades...

Sabres embark in 4-way deal that brings Thornton, Callahan, and Lucic here, giving up Stafford, Roy, Ennis, MAG and the Calgary 2nd rounder.

I would find a way to get Mike Richards in a Sabres uniform (regardless of cost ... not sure what that would be and in the interest of keeping the thread going, will not speculate), name him Captain and let him take charge of this team. Give him to 10 days before the trade deadline and if he can't light the fire for the rest of the team dismantle most of the "core".

This is a ###### joke right? Start with Myers and Kassian, that might get Anaheim's attention.

Might...

No. Tyler Myers is a game changer... O yea Christmas is over so I am back with a vengeance. Look at last years sabres team. Myers starts to settle in and his game comes together and the team starts winning. Myers is a franchise player hes just young still and has some things to learn. You do not trade him. Kassian is still an unknown.

No its not a ###### joke. The standard price for a good player in the NHL is a rostered player a pick and a prospect.

Roster player - Roy, hes a good center ppl and on a line with Ryan and Perry that would be amazing

Prospect - Our top def prospect is McNabb, hes got the skills to become very very good within the next few years

Pick - 1st round picks are worth something even if they are 12-20th (which is where I would guess the sabres fall)

Myers, Kassian and then go from there? (Just to piss off Korab) What are we trading for Malkin or Stamkos? Roy is statistically comparable to Getzlaf to begin with. Roy has less points but more GWG so yea. You probably could do this trade or something in the ball park but it doesn't matter because Darcy won't pull the trigger on anything that involves trading the core.

Further more, one of you "anti-tradites" said you would probably have to start with Vanek and Myers for Getzlaf. At that point I realized how little some of the most vocal anti-tradites know or understand about our players versus the rest of the national hockey league or how trades are based off of more than just your personal feelings. Our players have value just like everyone else's and I hate to use the same analogy but look at the regehr trade, If I had ever said Byron Butler for Regehr alone it would have been laughed out the door. But it happened.

So criticize away but guess what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkUvmDQ3HY

<br />

This is a ###### joke right? Start with Myers and Kassian, that might get Anaheim's attention.<br />

Might...

I'm as sick of Liger's crazy trade ideas as you are, but for once I have to agree with him -- you're over-valuing Getzlaf if you think Myers AND Kassian is a "starting point." That would be a ridiculously one-sided trade.

One of the two is more than enough to be a nice center piece in a trade for pretty much anyone reasonably-tradable you can think of... you certainly don't trade both of them.

I'm as sick of Liger's crazy trade ideas as you are, but for once I have to agree with him -- you're over-valuing Getzlaf if you think Myers AND Kassian is a "starting point." That would be a ridiculously one-sided trade.

One of the two is more than enough to be a nice center piece in a trade for pretty much anyone, you certainly don't trade both of them.

I think you are underestimating the market for top line centers. Getzlaf is only 26 and is reasonably priced at $5.25 for another year. If Anaheim puts him on the market, the bidding would be insane.

I think you are underestimating the market for top line centers. Getzlaf is only 26 and is reasonably priced at $5.25 for another year. If Anaheim puts him on the market, the bidding would be insane.

And Myers is 21, is reasonably priced at 5.5 for the next EIGHT years, and at this point has a higher ceiling than Getzlaf (who has arguably regressed the last few years as far as production). He's on pace for around ~15 goals, 60 points this year.

There would be a bidding war if Anaheim put him on the open market, much like there was for Bobby Ryan a few weeks ago. But I'm not even sold on trading Myers at all for Gezlaf, and if I were convinced to, he would certainly be my absolute "take it or leave it." I doubt that too many other teams could match an offer of, say, Myers + Stafford or Myers + Ennis. If Anaheim is serious about getting a good return for him, that would likely be the best offer they get. Under no circumstance do you trade a 21 year old potential franchise defenseman AND a 20 year old who adds more grit and "nastiness" than every post-lockout Sabres roster + Getzlaf combined, for a pretty damn good, but not exactly elite, center who barely outscores Roy.

And Myers is 21, is reasonably priced at 5.5 for the next EIGHT years, and at this point has a higher ceiling than Getzlaf (who has arguably regressed the last few years as far as production). He's on pace for around ~15 goals, 60 points this year.

There would be a bidding war if Anaheim put him on the open market, much like there was for Bobby Ryan a few weeks ago. But I'm not even sold on trading Myers at all for Gezlaf, and if I were convinced to, he would certainly be my absolute "take it or leave it." I doubt that too many other teams could match an offer of, say, Myers + Stafford or Myers + Ennis. If Anaheim is serious about getting a good return for him, that would likely be the best offer they get. Under no circumstance do you trade a 21 year old potential franchise defenseman AND a 20 year old who adds more grit and "nastiness" than every post-lockout Sabres roster + Getzlaf combined, for a pretty damn good, but not exactly elite, center who barely outscores Roy.

Myers has not been a $5.5 million player since his rookie season and has regressed horribly since then. Getzlaf plays a position that is hard to fill, as the Sabres have proven.

This is a pretty good take on the situation.

I think Ana would do it in a second. Didn't they win the cup on the backs of two franchise Dmen that ate up 30+ minutes a game?

I think Getzlaf is a very good center and a leader, however I am not trading Mcnabb or Kassian in any way shape or form..We havent had 2 largebodied nasty players like that pretty much ever. They come along once in awhile and to have 2 at the same time is a gift from above. I would trade anyone else on the roster for him without batting an eye but I am not trading two young nasties like that at all...

I think Getzlaf is a very good center and a leader, however I am not trading Mcnabb or Kassian in any way shape or form..We havent had 2 largebodied nasty players like that pretty much ever. They come along once in awhile and to have 2 at the same time is a gift from above. I would trade anyone else on the roster for him without batting an eye but I am not trading two young nasties like that at all...

I noticed you didn't mention Myers. If you could negotiate a deal involving Myers, not include McNabb or Kassian, would you make the deal?

This is a pretty good take on the situation.

I think Ana would do it in a second. Didn't they win the cup on the backs of two franchise Dmen that ate up 30+ minutes a game?

I don't think Anaheim is dealing Getzlaf for a Myers package that includes Stafford and/or Ennis. I doubt Stafford has any trade value at this point.

I noticed you didn't mention Myers. If you could negotiate a deal involving Myers, not include McNabb or Kassian, would you make the deal?

I don't think Anaheim is dealing Getzlaf for a Myers package that includes Stafford and/or Ennis. I doubt Stafford has any trade value at this point.

I would..If Myers had any nasty spirit at all close to what those 2 have shown I probably wouldnt but MYERS reminds of the nice guy who is every girls friend but never gets the goods...

hold on a second, if I ignore all the condescension and the ###### it what strange world does it make any sense at all to trade Kassian or Myers if your ultimate goal is to win the cup, BUT you keep the core that has sucked for 5 years together and change up 1 center position... HELLO! it is so mind numbingly illogical that the gerbil that spins the wheel in my brain just had a heart attack and freaking died! THIS TEAM WILL NOT WIN THE CUP. End of Discussion so you should trade the core not the youth.

I didn't bring up Getzlaf, ever. I simply responded to someones query about the going price for him. If you don't like it stop reading it because if you continually comment on how these ideas are dumb or stupid or you are and idiot ect... it just makes people talk about the post more and more and more instead of letting it die into oblivion...

MY players for the purposes of this thread are Dubinsky and Steen.

Archived