So, who would you target to obtain?

Weave

I want Joe Thornton type player. They can have Stafford and Roy and a few picks IMO. He'll fit under the cap and he's signed through 2013-14. (the 3 year window). Edit: Everyone healthy you send down Stuart, Ellis, Tropp, Chewie and keep Kassian. You are 2 million under the cap.

Thornton has a serious reputation for completely vanishing come playoff time. Do we want that? I see what you mean though, big top line center wouldn't go amiss.

If the position argument doesn't do it for you, I don't think Kassian is the playmaker that Thornton is. That isn't really a knock on Zack, because few players over the last decade can pass like Joe.

I think he has almost elite level playmaking ability he makes and sees passes that not many do.

Center, winger, winger, center; it doesn't seem to keep Lindy from switching players in and out of positions.

I can think of a couple of players that they cannot make up their minds about; Leino, Boyes.

Which is it?

I feel better over here, I feel better over there.

They can barely keep a line together for consecutive games as it is; a couple of more injuries and you might see Kassian playing center.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

1. Dan Cleary. He isn't a center but would easily fill a lot of other voids. Hustle, experience, Leadership, 2.8million a year, under contract through next season. Not that detroit would ever do it, but better and cheaper than Stafford and Boyes at the right wing.

Good thread but I'm terrified of it going off the rails. Weave, you'll need to stay on top of this.

LOL You think I have the ability to herd cats?

Ryan Getzlaf (plus another Duck to fit the money) to center Pominville and Vanek is the move......Give up Roy, Stafford and any kid except Mcnabb/Kassian.

Fears realized.

If the position argument doesn't do it for you, I don't think Kassian is the playmaker that Thornton is. That isn't really a knock on Zack, because few players over the last decade can pass like Joe.

Ask Vanek if Kassian can make plays.

What does Joe do so well?; he goes down retrieves pucks then dishes off. Pass, Shoot, Score.

If Lindy is all about jockeying guys all over the place, why not tool with Kassian before he gets cast into the winger role.

My concern with Kassian was his speed and agility; a good center needs both.

Does he have the aptitude to play the position? I don't know.

Leino started as a center and look where he has been?

Kassian has the ability to go one on one with some really good players, and as he matures he will only get better.

Ask Vanek if Kassian can make plays.

What does Joe do so well?; he goes down retrieves pucks then dishes off. Pass, Shoot, Score.

If Lindy is all about jockeying guys all over the place, why not tool with Kassian before he gets cast into the winger role.

My concern with Kassian was his speed and agility; a good center needs both.

Does he have the aptitude to play the position? I don't know.

Leino started as a center and look where he has been?

Kassian has the ability to go one on one with some really good players, and as he matures he will only get better.

I'm a firm believer that you don't fix something unless it's broken.

This team might be broken, but Zack Kassian is a bright spot on the horizon. Theres no reason to tinker with that or his position just because the organization as a whole lacks depth at arguably the most important forward position.

Trade for, or draft your centerman. And make sure Kass keeps growing in the position he's excelled at.

Can you imagine Thornton between Vanek and Pominville? This is what we need. The Thornton type center.

I can imagine it and it is fantastic and indeed exactly what we need. To get Thornton could acctually be possible, especially if the Sharks get bounced in the playoffs early. It would sting though. I don't think that Sharks would even listen unless we're giving up elite defense in return, so I am thinking Myers and a 2nd round, perhaps with an additional forward to balance it out. Even them I am not sure the Sharks would be very interested, and I think that is the best deal we could present them.

I'm a firm believer that you don't fix something unless it's broken.

This team might be broken, but Zack Kassian is a bright spot on the horizon. Theres no reason to tinker with that or his position just because the organization as a whole lacks depth at arguably the most important forward position.

Trade for, or draft your centerman. And make sure Kass keeps growing in the position he's excelled at.

I think the kid has the right attitude, he is young; he is a call up who will most likely go back to the AHL.

NHL players that come out of the minors get switched around positionally all the time.

If Kass has a chance to be cast into another role, it would make sense to try early.

He does not strike me as a kid that is easily dissuaded.

"Theres no reason to tinker with that or his position just because the organization as a whole lacks depth at arguably the most important forward position."

I understand what you are saying regarding the organization lacking depth; however, my argument is not based on the fact that we don't have a dominate center, I think it's about seeing Kass become more, even if it takes him a little more time to make impact at the big club level. Being in the minors a little longer may not be a bad idea.

Center, winger, winger, center; it doesn't seem to keep Lindy from switching players in and out of positions.

I can think of a couple of players that they cannot make up their minds about; Leino, Boyes.

Which is it?

I feel better over here, I feel better over there.

They can barely keep a line together for consecutive games as it is; a couple of more injuries and you might see Kassian playing center.

i guess you believe that its Lindy's choice to just keep trying to make guys work in different positions then they are used to? Its not that he has to try and make things like that work because he hasn't been given anything better to work with by his GM?

Leino was signed by the wonderful Regier as "Plan B" to losing out on a real Centre, Richards, this offseason and was signed to be a Centre, not a winger. Atleast with Boyes he has played some centre before, but with this teams lack of quality players at the centre position, what can he do besides trying to make a winger into a Centre?

Now throw in all the Injuries and pretty soon Vanek could be starting in net, with Enroth playing Centre and Pomminstein on defence

I can imagine it and it is fantastic and indeed exactly what we need. To get Thornton could acctually be possible, especially if the Sharks get bounced in the playoffs early. It would sting though. I don't think that Sharks would even listen unless we're giving up elite defense in return, so I am thinking Myers and a 2nd round, perhaps with an additional forward to balance it out. Even them I am not sure the Sharks would be very interested, and I think that is the best deal we could present them.

Myers would be a lot to give up, and if this trade happened, it wouldn't involve much more than Myers from our end.

OK, how about more outside player ideas in a thread about obtaining players from other organizations....

*does not like herding cats*

I thought this one up earlier but figured it'd be a foolish scenario to post.

Miller for Howard Cleary and a first? Too much? too little?

Trading Ryan would certainly send the message everyone wants to send. Not sure i like the trade idea myself but hey, it's an idea.

OK, how about more outside player ideas in a thread about obtaining players from other organizations....

*does not like herding cats*

Tim Connolly? :unsure:

I think the only move available to us right now in order to do anything is free up cap space to allow some flexibility. The rumors out of the Toronto Sun is that the Sabres are looking at moving Roy or Stafford for picks/prospects. So which teams are pretty low in the standings where getting their 1st round pick would land us the chance at a future first line center? Or who has a high level prospect with size/skill combo? I think that is the route that we need to be looking at instead of the Stastny/Malkin/Thornton type trades...

Myers would be a lot to give up, and if this trade happened, it wouldn't involve much more than Myers from our end.

If the Sharks would consider a straight up deal Myers for Thornton, I'd do that in a heartbeat. We have other pieces that can fill in for Myers, but we have nothing close to a Joe Thornton. The problem is I can't imagine the Sharks would be interested in a deal like that. Throw in a goalscorer (Stafford if we hit jackpot?) and they might see some upside, sweeten it with a 2nd rounder and they could perhaps start listening. I think anything less would be an absolute steal for the Sabres.

If the Sharks would consider a straight up deal Myers for Thornton, I'd do that in a heartbeat. We have other pieces that can fill in for Myers, but we have nothing close to a Joe Thornton. The problem is I can't imagine the Sharks would be interested in a deal like that. Throw in a goalscorer (Stafford if we hit jackpot?) and they might see some upside, sweeten it with a 2nd rounder and they could perhaps start listening. I think anything less would be an absolute steal for the Sabres.

I'm not giving up a up and coming Dman for a downhill center. As much as I love Thornton, I'm not sending Myers. I'll send Roy AND Stafford before that.

I'm not giving up a up and coming Dman for a downhill center. As much as I love Thornton, I'm not sending Myers. I'll send Roy AND Stafford before that.

Money wouldn't work on a Myers for Thornton deal. We'd be 6 million over the cap. And that's about the fifth reason why this deal will never happen.

This is why trades are never easy. I don't see any reason for the Sharks to take Roy and Stafford for Thornton. They need elite defense, not middle of the pack center and wingers. So to me it comes down to what would Thornton bring to the team? He would be the perfect fit between Pominville and Vanek, we can now play Roy on the third line where he belongs, but will he be the leadership presence the team desperately needs? Do you give up a potential franchise d-man? I would now that we have Ehrhoff who fills a similar role, but I doubt the Sharks would go for it straight up.

Getting a player of that caliber is going to sting. Still, at least that kind of trade is semi-realistic to me, unlike the Roy for Spezza or Stafford and a 2nd rounder for Getzlaf stuff you see out there

Money wouldn't work on a Myers for Thornton deal. We'd be 6 million over the cap. And that's about the fifth reason why this deal will never happen.

Cap hits next season for Myers and Thornton is 5.5 mill and 7 mill. So, the money would be workable, but this is the reason why I included an extra forward to even things out in my original proposal.

Also, I agree that this deal will never happen, I meant it mostly as an illustration of what price I think we'd have to pay to get that established big playmaking center we all want.

Cap hits next season for Myers and Thornton is 5.5 mill and 7 mill. So, the money would be workable, but this is the reason why I included an extra forward to even things out in my original proposal.

Also, I agree that this deal will never happen, I meant it mostly as an illustration of what price I think we'd have to pay to get that established big playmaking center we all want.

You didn't say next year, you said you would do the deal in a heart beat - meaning right now. Right now, that deal puts us six million over the cap What six million dollar player are you shipping out that San Jose wants that gets us under the cap?

You didn't say next year, you said you would do the deal in a heart beat - meaning right now. Right now, that deal puts us six million over the cap What six million dollar player are you shipping out that San Jose wants that gets us under the cap?

This trade is not feasible for this year, as I said, the only way I think the Sharks even consider something like it is if they get bounced from the playoffs early. That would take us into next year which is the only way this could go down. To trade for Thornton right now, the only possible piece I could see the Sharks being remotely interested in would be a goal scorer so then we're talking Thornton for Vanek. Not sure that trade is more palatable...

Archived