So, who would you target to obtain?

Weave

Spectorshockey mentions today that Tuomo Ruutu is in the rumors right now and that Carolina seems to be sniffing the waters to improve their team. Ruutu has decent size and seems good for 55pts a season when healthy. Plays hard and is a bit of an agitator.

Any takers?

OK, how about more outside player ideas in a thread about obtaining players from other organizations....

*does not like herding cats*

Not proposing a trade, mind you, but I 've been recently fantasizing about somehow prying three guys from L.A., especially if the Kings don't get out of their funk:

Quick

Brown

Stoll

Spectorshockey mentions today that Tuomo Ruutu is in the rumors right now and that Carolina seems to be sniffing the waters to improve their team. Ruutu has decent size and seems good for 55pts a season when healthy. Plays hard and is a bit of an agitator.

Any takers?

I haven't read the whole thread but in my opinion its the top end that needs changing. This team has plenty of second, third and fourth liners and a decent 2 through 6 defense. Replace Roy, Stafford and Ennis with true top 4 forwards and the rest of the team falls into place assuming the goaltending returns, an assumption I'm willing to make.

I say go for the guy who will make a real difference - and who could actually be available (not Thornton). I'm talking about Parise.

Every team in the league wants him and Lou will have trouble resigning him. So I say we pull an Ehrhoff move...trade for his rights before he becomes a UFA. Woo him and offer him as good a contract as he'll find. Obviously the trade will include salaried players to allow his contract to fit under the cap (sure wish we had left ourselves some room there).

Boyes, Hecht & Gaustad come off the books next year (~10 mil).

How about Pominville + Myers for him? That gives us another 6 mil in space. He could sign a contract that won't take effect until next season. I'd do it.

I say go for the guy who will make a real difference - and who could actually be available (not Thornton). I'm talking about Parise. Every team in the league wants him and Lou will have trouble resigning him. So I say we pull an Ehrhoff move...trade for his rights before he becomes a UFA. Woo him and offer him as good a contract as he'll find. Obviously the trade will include salaried players to allow his contract to fit under the cap (sure wish we had left ourselves some room there). Boyes, Hecht & Gaustad come off the books next year (~10 mil). How about Pominville + Myers for him? That gives us another 6 mil in space. He could sign a contract that won't take effect until next season. I'd do it.

I'd like to keep Gausted, his one of the better checking line centers in the league and his a great team player. Plus his our only good faceoff man.

Peverley or Kelly out of Boston? No idea what it would take to get either, but with the emergence of seguin, do they really need four scoring centers?

I see no reason why boston would be tempted to shake things up considering how well they've been playing, but these are two players that i haven't seen discussed here as of yet.

Peverley or Kelly out of Boston? No idea what it would take to get either, but with the emergence of seguin, do they really need four scoring centers?

I see no reason why boston would be tempted to shake things up considering how well they've been playing, but these are two players that i haven't seen discussed here as of yet.

Hmmm.... and Boston isn't afraid of trading within the division.

I see no reason why boston would be tempted to shake things up considering how well they've been playing

You answered your own question. ;)

PS The Sabres could have made an offer for Peverly at the deadline last year, but I am sure that Mr. Patience was content with his two "Top 20 Centers". :lol:

You answered your own question. ;)

PS The Sabres could have made an offer for Peverly at the deadline last year, but I am sure that Mr. Patience was content with his two "Top 20 Centers". :lol:

I am aware ;)

Weave wanted names of players that hadn't been discussed much though, theres no doubt in my mind we could get one of them if we sent the right stuff the other way.

The question then becomes, would it even be worth it?

The B's acquisitions of Kelly and Peverley at the deadline are what put them over the top IMO. The bruins won on Defense, goaltending, and offensive depth. Those two additions went a long way to bolster their forward ranks.

i guess you believe that its Lindy's choice to just keep trying to make guys work in different positions then they are used to? Its not that he has to try and make things like that work because he hasn't been given anything better to work with by his GM?

Leino was signed by the wonderful Regier as "Plan B" to losing out on a real Centre, Richards, this offseason and was signed to be a Centre, not a winger. Atleast with Boyes he has played some centre before, but with this teams lack of quality players at the centre position, what can he do besides trying to make a winger into a Centre?

Now throw in all the Injuries and pretty soon Vanek could be starting in net, with Enroth playing Centre and Pomminstein on defence

First, I don't no squat; I especially am not going to pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes of an NHL Franchise.

This is a fun forum site, and I enjoy the banter.

The fans only know what they see, and what the media tells them; occasionally you may have an insider but, for the most part one can only speculate.

Was it Lindy's idea to try Gragnani at left wing?

Lindy is the bench boss, correct?

A friend of mine asked me the other day before the Ottawa game, do you even know what your lines would be if everyone was healthy? We laugh when the camera pans on Vanek and Pominville; hey look, someone we know. Who is number...?

Hey why not Zack Parise? Isn't he a UFA at the end of the season? He's a captain, so I assume he's a leader...and he can score.

I don't think there's any way we get him in a trade. Jersey is going to do everything they can to lock him up long term before he hits free agency.

I'd love to get him, and I'm not convinced he'll be a devil next season quite yet, but to even think about bidding for him, we're going to need to move some other players around first.

The most interesting part about this scenario IMO is Stafford. Both Stafford and Parise are from Minnesota, and train together in the offseason. If these two are buddies, it would make sense to hang on to drew and treat him as well as possible, regardless of his play on the ice. If biting the bullet with Stafford for the rest of the year gives us an edge over other teams in the Parise bidding war, I'm all for it.

Any takers?

Rutherford always looking to deal, and I'd like to get Ruutu in here but not sure what it would take going the other way. I remember last year during one of the Canes Sabres games here they put on the scoreboard that the only NHL team that the Hartford/Carolina franchise has not traded with is Buffalo. That can't possibly be true and is just more lame anti-Buffalo schtick from the Canes scoreboard guy, but I do think the part of us never completing a trade with them is true. I don't remember one, does anyone else?

I don't think there's any way we get him in a trade. Jersey is going to do everything they can to lock him up long term before he hits free agency.

I'd love to get him, and I'm not convinced he'll be a devil next season quite yet, but to even think about bidding for him, we're going to need to move some other players around first.

The most interesting part about this scenario IMO is Stafford. Both Stafford and Parise are from Minnesota, and train together in the offseason. If these two are buddies, it would make sense to hang on to drew and treat him as well as possible, regardless of his play on the ice. If biting the bullet with Stafford for the rest of the year gives us an edge over other teams in the Parise bidding war, I'm all for it.

Do not like. Not one bit. Nope.

Has this replaced the Liles is coming to Buffalo because he and Miller are BFF rumors? That was only rumored for about 3 years.

There are 2 ways to go about this. Here is a way to make 2 decent size trades this year and then target reasonable free agents next year.

You go and get Iginla and Corey Sarich from Calgary this year knowing full well Sarich is overpaid and a UFA who you will let walk in summer. Iginla will be your captain if you give him an extra 2 years at $7 mil after '12. He will probably fume out in year 3, but you need THAT guy here right now to change the culture. Sarich is pretty much a Weber, but he will not shy away from anything and can be counted on as either depth or a final pairing in the playoffs. These guys cost you $10.6 million. A reasonible package would be Pominville, Sekera, Brennan and Tropp. Some of you will cringe at that,, but it NEEDS to be done. Follow me here.

Target #2 is Stoll who many seem to like. He is an UFA, so you pull a sign and trade deal with LA if they are willing. Adam, a 2nd and Hecht. This gets you to the cap again, and you probably have to pay him in the 5ish range I would think going forward.

Next year we start $5.5 million over with the Myers and Stoll extensions. You resign Gaustad. You let Boyes and Kaleta walk. You let Sarich walk. you waive Ellis and McCormick. This leaves you with $5 million to play with.

Here is who I target with that $5.....David Moss, Chris Campoli, and Taylor Pyatt (assuming of course Darcy and Lindy are shitcanned). That should get it done.

A wildcard in free agency is Shane Doan. If for some reason we don't trade for a real captain, you can target him. He again is headed towards fumes, but if there was a way to get him in here with Iginla that would be amazing. I am assuming you only have 1 or the other. If you want him on this team with Iginla, you probably need to move Stafford, Gerbe and Gragnani out but would be able to save either Tropp and Brennan, or Adam possibly.

So.....on October 1 2012, your roster could very well be:

Vanek-Roy-Iginla

Ennis-Stoll-Doan

Kassian-Adam-Lieno

Pyatt-Gaustad-Moss

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-Leopold

Campoli-Weber

Miller

Enroth

You will give up some flash, and may very well lose a few points in the regular season....but this would be a roll 4 lines/60 minute effort/bang your brains out with enough offensive upside....that could win in the playoffs without question. I would buy club seats seasons to watch this team.

Now as I say every year this topic comes up and I spend too much time daydreaming......I'm going to go blow my brains out.....

There are 2 ways to go about this. Here is a way to make 2 decent size trades this year and then target reasonable free agents next year.

You go and get Iginla and Corey Sarich from Calgary this year...

...You will give up some flash, and may very well lose a few points in the regular season....but this would be a roll 4 lines/60 minute effort/bang your brains out with enough offensive upside....that could win in the playoffs without question. I would buy club seats seasons to watch this team.

Now as I say every year this topic comes up and I spend too much time daydreaming......I'm going to go blow my brains out.....

I don't really have any major opposition to your opinion since you stayed on topic and gave a well thought out response, but I have one gripe:

Target #2 is Stoll who many seem to like. He is an UFA, so you pull a sign and trade deal with LA if they are willing. Adam, a 2nd and Hecht. This gets you to the cap again, and you probably have to pay him in the 5ish range I would think going forward.

Vanek-Roy-Iginla

Ennis-Stoll-Doan

Kassian-Adam-Lieno

Pyatt-Gaustad-Moss

:blink:

I don't really have any major opposition to your opinion since you stayed on topic and gave a well thought out response, but I have one gripe:

Vanek-Roy-Iginla

Ennis-Stoll-Doan

Kassian-Adam-Lieno

Pyatt-Gaustad-Moss

:blink:

He covers the possibility of saving Adam's under his wild card paragraph

Do not like. Not one bit. Nope.

Not even if it meant getting one of the best forwards in the game?

note: i realize thats a longshot of happening at the absolute best, just want to test the waters around here now that everyone wants to blow up the roster again.

Is it bad that i think our best shot at building a contender is to intentionally tank for the next 3 years or so in order to draft high? Do we really have anyone we could trade to a basement team that could get a top 3-5 pick? I'm sick of watching the core underacheive year in and year out, and i have wonder if thats what we need to do.

My issue with Buffalo sports teams has always been mediocrity, we're rarely the best team in either the NHL or the NFL, but we're rarely one of the worst teams as well. In the case of the sabres, i feel like our middle of the pack play has done nothing but hurt us.

Philadelphia has an average age of something like 23 or 24 years of age, they're only going to get better. Boston has up and comers like Marchand, Rask, and Seguin. Maybe we SHOULD trade Vanek. If it brings in a top pick, it could be worth it. As it is, without any center depth, we can't utilize him to his full potential anyway. It may very well be time to cut our losses on this group and begin drafting and building a team that we can build around a new core of Mcnabb, Kassian, Myers, Ennis, and Adam.

And for what it's worth, i don't think Darcy has the stones for it.

/All that/

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)

Tyler Ennis ($0.875m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Shane Doan ($4.550m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Luke Adam ($0.875m) / Ville Leino ($4.500m)

Taylor Pyatt ($1.000m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.300m) / David Moss ($1.300m)

DEFENSEMEN

Tyler Myers ($5.500m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.020m)

Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Jordan Leopold ($3.000m)

Chris Campoli ($1.750m) / Mike Weber ($0.950m)

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($6.250m) / Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,157,857; BONUSES: $87,500

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $142,143

$142,00 with only 20 guys? Someone is taking a pay cut.

You go and get Iginla and Corey Sarich from Calgary this year knowing full well Sarich is overpaid and a UFA who you will let walk in summer. Iginla will be your captain if you give him an extra 2 years at $7 mil after '12. He will probably fume out in year 3, but you need THAT guy here right now to change the culture. Sarich is pretty much a Weber, but he will not shy away from anything and can be counted on as either depth or a final pairing in the playoffs. These guys cost you $10.6 million. A reasonible package would be Pominville, Sekera, Brennan and Tropp. Some of you will cringe at that,, but it NEEDS to be done. Follow me here.

Next year we start $5.5 million over with the Myers and Stoll extensions. You resign Gaustad. You let Boyes and Kaleta walk. You let Sarich walk. you waive Ellis and McCormick. This leaves you with $5 million to play with.

Here is who I target with that $5.....David Moss, Chris Campoli, and Taylor Pyatt (assuming of course Darcy and Lindy are shitcanned). That should get it done.

A wildcard in free agency is Shane Doan. If for some reason we don't trade for a real captain, you can target him. He again is headed towards fumes, but if there was a way to get him in here with Iginla that would be amazing. I am assuming you only have 1 or the other. If you want him on this team with Iginla, you probably need to move Stafford, Gerbe and Gragnani out but would be able to save either Tropp and Brennan, or Adam possibly.

So.....on October 1 2012, your roster could very well be:

Vanek-Roy-Iginla

Ennis-Stoll-Doan

Kassian-Adam-Lieno

Pyatt-Gaustad-Moss

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-Leopold

Campoli-Weber

Miller

Enroth

You will give up some flash, and may very well lose a few points in the regular season....but this would be a roll 4 lines/60 minute effort/bang your brains out with enough offensive upside....that could win in the playoffs without question. I would buy club seats seasons to watch this team.

WTF? Why the hell would we want that waste of space? Granted not read large amounts of this thread and I kind of got stuck there.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)

Tyler Ennis ($0.875m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Shane Doan ($4.550m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Luke Adam ($0.875m) / Ville Leino ($4.500m)

Taylor Pyatt ($1.000m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.300m) / David Moss ($1.300m)

DEFENSEMEN

Tyler Myers ($5.500m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.020m)

Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Jordan Leopold ($3.000m)

Chris Campoli ($1.750m) / Mike Weber ($0.950m)

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($6.250m) / Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,157,857; BONUSES: $87,500

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $142,143

$142,00 with only 20 guys? Someone is taking a pay cut.

So you give Doan a 6 year $24 million deal with $10 mil in cash next year. Iginla gets same sort of extension idea. Gaustad might get done for 2....Moss for 1....Have 3 babies up for 500k scratches and hope the new administration keeps guys healthy. You can make it happen in Pegulaville. I don't think I reached.

WTF? Why the hell would we want that waste of space? Granted not read large amounts of this thread and I kind of got stuck there.

You call an average of 16 goals, never a minus player, and what would be the leading cumulative hit total among Buffalo forwards since leaving Lindy's system....for $1 million a year a waste of space?

Agreed the Sabres need a center and should be willing to give up Stafford and Roy.

Not sure I would give up Meyers, although I would consider it for Tavares I would definitely throw in Grags.

I think the Sabres should resign Hecht. Despite the injuries, the Sabres have played better when he is in the lineup.

Put Stafford on waivers and send him down if no takers.

Archived