So, who would you target to obtain?

Weave

Assuming of course that you think a change in player personnel is needed, who do you see as likely for the Sabres to try to pick up? Not really a trade thread in that I'm not looking to solicit trade proposals. Rather, I'm looking for conversation about what players are likely targets, and/or should be, for the Sabres going forward.

My thoughts are that 2 "types" of players are needed, top 6 wingers with as much energy as skill, and center depth. For my choices I'll limit myself to players that actually have a prayer in Hell of moving (so you won't see the names Statsny, Staal, or Getzlaf in this post) *AND* reside on the rosters of teams most likely to make moves, ie. bottom feeders.

My opinion is that the following teams are probably open to roster changes.. NYI, NJ, Mon, Car, TB, *maybe* Was, Colum, Colorado, Edm, Ana, LA. Sooooo...... who gets targeted from these rosters? Here's who I think Buffalo should/could make a play for:

Ryan Malone- although I'm not sure TB would be interested in moving Stamkos' current RW He'd be a flashy pickup.

Troy Brouwer- has SC experience and is a really competitive RW with size and big hitting ability.

Derick Brassard - rumored to be available for a pick/prospect. He's a natural center with some talent. I'm not sure what the story is with his sitting for Columbus this season but could he be a Danny Briere-type scenario?

Antoine Vermette- seems like a Lindy Ruff kind of player. Tenacious, two way center. Seems like he'd be a great 3rd line option.

RJ Umberger- Don't know how available he'd be. He's got C/RW flexibility like half our forwards. :P

Jay McClement- #3 center on an Av's team loaded with centers. Above average defensive skills and good faceoff skills. Would fit in a lockdown line role.

Ales Hemsky is always in trade rumors. But he's injury prone and has a rep as being soft, especially in corner play.

Shawn Horcoff- Classic two way center with good faceoff skills. 50-60 point offense if he stays healthy.

Andrew Cogliano- Undersized, speedy center. I can't imagine why Darcy isn't already all over this guy. :P Lousy faceoff stats for a natural center but he likes to use his speed to put on big forecheck pressure. That would certainly be a welcome addition to our game.

Dustin Penner- Do the Sabres try to become the 3rd team to try to get this guys career going? I hope not, IMO he's the west coast version of Drew Stafford. Has all the tools but seems to have misplaced his toolbox.

Jarrett Stoll- Has all the size and tools. Has a rep as incosistant though.

Obviously we've got cap issues that need to be resolved first, but I'm not touching how we get that done.

Anyway. Posted this up for some fat to chew on. Feel free to add your thoughts and ideas for players to look at.

I want Joe Thornton type player. They can have Stafford and Roy and a few picks IMO. He'll fit under the cap and he's signed through 2013-14. (the 3 year window).

Edit: Everyone healthy you send down Stuart, Ellis, Tropp, Chewie and keep Kassian.

You are 2 million under the cap.

The Sabs are really hampered by the cap right now (what irony!--and yes, I know what that word means). Were they not, I would suggest a trade of two players who need a change of scenery at a minimum: Stafford and Spezza. Note that I am NOT proposing this straight-up; I realize that the Sabs might need to restore the 2d round pick that Ottawa gave up for Turris in that complete steal of a deal. And maybe it costs a prospect or another player, too. Especially if needed to get under the cap.

From what I understand, and that's colored by what I read, Ottawans (Otters? Ottawandans?) are nearly as frustrated with Spezza as we are with Stafford. It's the perfect "they both need a change of scenery" scenario. Maybe it doesn't work out in the end because Stafford goes on fire and Spezza screws up. But that's the deal I'd make, even in the division, and I think it's there at the right price. What Ottawa might demand in addition to Stafford, I don't know.

EDIT: Off of your list, I'll take Horcoff. There's a "what makes a Horcoff" joke somewhere, too.

some interesting names on the list Weave! Brassard and Vermette are two names I wouldn't mind at all. I don't know a whole lot about the rest.

The names on that list I'm most intrigued by are Stoll, Umberger, and Malone, but I figure they are also the 3 names least likely to move. :(

I want Joe Thornton type player. They can have Stafford and Roy and a few picks IMO. He'll fit under the cap and he's signed through 2013-14. (the 3 year window).

Edit: Everyone healthy you send down Stuart, Ellis, Tropp, Chewie and keep Kassian.

You are 2 million under the cap.

Just noticed your edit. That is good to know. I recall a post in another thread saying something about the Sabres on a path to a salary cap violation.

I'd love a Thornton type too but I just don't see SJ moving him mid season. I suppose Stoll could be a Thornton *lite*.

Just noticed your edit. That is good to know. I recall a post in another thread saying something about the Sabres on a path to a salary cap violation.

I'd love a Thornton type too but I just don't see SJ moving him mid season. I suppose Stoll could be a Thornton *lite*.

Can you imagine Thornton between Vanek and Pominville? This is what we need. The Thornton type center.

Can you imagine Thornton between Vanek and Pominville? This is what we need. The Thornton type center.

oh man that would be sweet...

The names on that list I'm most intrigued by are Stoll, Umberger, and Malone, but I figure they are also the 3 names least likely to move. :(

Umberger. lol. I still only think of Campbell just lighting him up.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't target anyone. Just remove some pieces and see what happens. I can't think of a player out there that I would want that a team would actually let go. Is there a list of guys 30 and over? That'd be a good place to start.

List of pending UFA's that can be sorted by age...

http://capgeek.com/f...-1&fa_type_id=2

There's a whole bunch of guys on that list that I wouldn't mind taking a crack at if we could unload some salary for picks somewhere along the line. Brian Rolston would sound good in a Sabres jersey for a year or two. Or Langenbrunner. (I swear I'm not picking ex-Devils on purpose.)

I would say Stoll is the best overall option, followed by Langenbrunner.

Rolston, just a bit too old with a high price tag.

Carcillo would be the best bang for the buck. Tootoo, Prust, might be interesting. Parenteau would be a decent option, but not what we need.

Would love to see Parros as a Sabre.

Brandon Dubinsky - Hits, is physical, is reasonably solid defensively and can dish the puck well. Similar to a J. Staal but probably with less upside. Availability: Unknown

Alex Steen - passes well, can score, has a lot of upside and is still young. Not overly physical but is a larger body than Roy. Availability: Unknown

As far as older guys, Saku Koivu would be a player that could possibly be targeted given his teams current crappy play and the likelihood he won't be resigned next year. That would give everyone their desired resident old guy at 37 yrs old.

On a side note we also have Daniel Catenacci in the juniors who will be available in 2years (my guess) Although he is not physically large, he seems to have the skills and speed to be a very effective center but time would tell on that.

No, Kass ain't a center.

Center, winger, winger, center; it doesn't seem to keep Lindy from switching players in and out of positions.

I can think of a couple of players that they cannot make up their minds about; Leino, Boyes.

Which is it?

I feel better over here, I feel better over there.

They can barely keep a line together for consecutive games as it is; a couple of more injuries and you might see Kassian playing center.

Center, winger, winger, center; it doesn't seem to keep Lindy from switching players in and out of positions.

I can think of a couple of players that they cannot make up their minds about; Leino, Boyes.

Which is it?

I feel better over here, I feel better over there.

They can barely keep a line together for consecutive games as it is; a couple of more injuries and you might see Kassian playing center.

If the position argument doesn't do it for you, I don't think Kassian is the playmaker that Thornton is. That isn't really a knock on Zack, because few players over the last decade can pass like Joe.

Archived