So, who would you target to obtain?

Weave

Yeah, they had a lot of trouble recruiting players over the summer. Stay on point; there's a whole thread for that stuff.

While I don't agree that any player has a problem playing for Ruff or that he is a career killer, you aren't entirely correct.

They did have trouble recruiting players this offseason, Regher need coaxing from Terry and his wife to waive his NTC and come to Buffalo in the Trade, and Ehrhoff need convincing from the owner too to accept a 10 year deal that grossly overpaid for a mediocre defencemen. The only one that didn't appear to need convincing was Leino apparently (and I won't count Richards, but if its true that they were serious about obtaining him, they weren't able to recruit him......)

Actually, I was hoping (and said so in post 1) that it wouldn't devolve into actual trade talk because I knew it would end up in nitpicking and such. the thread was more to discuss ideas for players for the Sabres to consider and their pros/cons.

But whatever.... it'll end up in the dirt eventually.

To be fair it's stayed relatively on track, I'm having trouble thinking of top line centers who'd fit here to be honest and thats what I think we need, I'm happy with our D and depth. Adam, Kassian, Leino, Roy can all provide secondary scoring.

With LGR not around, I thought the madness would stop! I was wrong. :death:

At least I try not to just repeat names of players I have heard of while listening to versus announcers during intermission... I actually research the salary and stats of the players... its one of the reasons I knew Boyes had played center in St Louis.

Target #2 is Stoll who many seem to like. He is an UFA, so you pull a sign and trade deal with LA if they are willing. Adam, a 2nd and Hecht. This gets you to the cap again, and you probably have to pay him in the 5ish range I would think going forward.

I would not trade Luke Adam straight up for a player who has spent most of his career as a 3rd line center. I understand what you are doing and saying but it doesn't make sense to trade a bright young prospect for a guy who will never top 50pts a season. There is a reason LA went out and got Richards. Luke Adam's 20pts so far this season are nothing to be traded away. If you look around the NHL Rookies with 20pts in 30 games are probably few and far in between. RNH is obviously an exception but it would seem to me that Adam's value is higher than what you are suggesting.

I would like the idea of Stoll on this team but I think Hecht and 2nd would be more than enough (probably just a 2nd would do it) Consider what it took to get Boyes out of st. louis and Stoll has never come close to putting up Brad Boyes numbers. All in all I would say your lineup is very intriguing.

I stand by my belief that the players the sabres should be targeting are Brandon Dubinsky and possibly Alex Steen. Lines would be as follows:

Vanek - Steen - Pommers

Ennis- Dubinsky - Kassian

Gerbe - Adam - Boyes

McCormick - Goose - Kaleta

- Leino's exact role in this scheme is unknown to me but if we only got 1 of the two players I have suggested he will fill in for the missing guy.

This team would probably take 2-3 years if kept mostly intact to win the cup do to the relative young age of the forwards. Roy and Stafford would be traded along with whatever to bring in the two players I have suggested. I am not going to give any trade ideas because I don't want to listen to it. This would effectively make our entire group of centers minus goose 26/7 or younger... most players seem to peak btw 27-31 so could turn out very good for us.

Not for nothing, but people were saying the same thing about Buffalo 4-5 years ago since the Sabres were winning games with the much younger 'core' back then.

If any franchise needs studying, it's Philadelphia's. Does anyone recall a game the Flyers played here 4-5 years ago in which we beat them so badly that it was embarrassing for them? I know Briere & Drury were on the team at that time...it was like the NHL playing against a Pee Wee team. I remember the fans laughing - something we've never been able to do against Philadelphia.

Well look what happened. Ed Snider WAS embarrassed and immediately set about to rebuild his team. And what a great job he did! I would suggest TP, Black, Darcy & Co. closely study that rebuild and follow suit. I believe there are many good lessons to be found by studying that process.

Yes, I know this is not on point with the theme of the thread - but it is something I think needs to be said.

Quick question:

How many people here think there will genuinely be some change before we get healthy?

Not a chance. I think they have the pieces here. Just need a playmaking center like almost every other team in the league. Good Luck with that.

Probably looking for a deadline deal like Boston got with Kelly and Peverly.

Not a chance. I think they have the pieces here. Just need a playmaking center like almost every other team in the league. Good Luck with that.

Probably looking for a deadline deal like Boston got with Kelly and Peverly.

I think this if one of the most realistic posts in this forum.

Dregger was the NHL network last night.

They were discussing the Anaheim situation.

He stated that Bobby Ryan will most likely be in play after the freeze is over.

Something interesting he did say, the last offers for Ryan weren't what Murray expected, low value. He said if that is the case following the freeze, that Murray may consider putting Gatzlaf up for some offers.

Just Dregger's opinion, but he has far more know that most.

Dregger was the NHL network last night.

They were discussing the Anaheim situation.

He stated that Bobby Ryan will most likely be in play after the freeze is over.

Something interesting he did say, the last offers for Ryan weren't what Murray expected, low value. He said if that is the case following the freeze, that Murray may consider putting Gatzlaf up for some offers.

Just Dregger's opinion, but he has far more know that most.

Getzlaf? OMG, Jerry ,I think it moved.

If the Ducks are willing to consider moving Getzlaf than the Sabres need to be prepared to blow them away with an offer.

If the Ducks are willing to consider moving Getzlaf than the Sabres need to be prepared to blow them away with an offer.

This is tricky. Picking up Getzlaf means the team is in a "win now" mode, meaning the Sabres can't trade away any of the big pieces. So what does the team have that (1) Anaheim would want and (2) wouldn't mean giving up Vanek, Myers, Miller, Pominville, etc. And how does the team make it work, cap-wise?

One idea: trade the next two or three first round picks, and send some salary to Rochester or another team via waivers or another trade for picks (Stafford, seeya!).

This is tricky. Picking up Getzlaf means the team is in a "win now" mode, meaning the Sabres can't trade away any of the big pieces. So what does the team have that (1) Anaheim would want and (2) wouldn't mean giving up Vanek, Myers, Miller, Pominville, etc. And how does the team make it work, cap-wise?

One idea: trade the next two or three first round picks, and send some salary to Rochester or another team via waivers or another trade for picks (Stafford, seeya!).

Derek Roy, McNabb, and a 1st possibly plus a 2nd

If there's one guy I'd want the Sabres to break the bank for it'd be Statsny or another play making center. As Jeremy White said this morning, they don't have that top line they can rely on for scoring. Pommers and Vanek work well together on the same line, but they don't have that dish master in the middle to get them in good scoring positions. Roy doesn't have the decision making skills. Gaustad can only win faceoffs. Chewy shouldn't even be in the NHL. Ellis can only forecheck/backcheck.

If there's one guy I'd want the Sabres to break the bank for it'd be Statsny or another play making center. As Jeremy White said this morning, they don't have that top line they can rely on for scoring. Pommers and Vanek work well together on the same line, but they don't have that dish master in the middle to get them in good scoring positions. Roy doesn't have the decision making skills. Gaustad can only win faceoffs. Chewy shouldn't even be in the NHL. Ellis can only forecheck/backcheck.

Adam was doing fine, and has continually improved over the course of the season...you kind of left him off of your assessment.

DISCLAIMER: please note that I am not advocating for not getting a better center, I'm just saying Adam does just fine there.

Adam was doing fine, and has continually improved over the course of the season...you kind of left him off of your assessment.

DISCLAIMER: please note that I am not advocating for not getting a better center, I'm just saying Adam does just fine there.

That's true, I think Adam has been a positive from this season. But correct me if I'm wrong but he hasn't been playing center all that much recently, that's why I left him out.

That's true, I think Adam has been a positive from this season. But correct me if I'm wrong but he hasn't been playing center all that much recently, that's why I left him out.

As of late, it depends. when Leino was healthy, putting him on the line with Leino and Kass, he was on the wing. He is a natural center though, and honestly, I think he's better on the first line than Roy, but you can't deny that since him, kass and Leino were put together that they haven't been doing well. They constantly generate chances, and leino looked better with them.

As of late, it depends. when Leino was healthy, putting him on the line with Leino and Kass, he was on the wing. He is a natural center though, and honestly, I think he's better on the first line than Roy, but you can't deny that since him, kass and Leino were put together that they haven't been doing well. They constantly generate chances, and leino looked better with them.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I love what Adam has brought to this team this year. can't wait until he matures along with Kassian, McNabb and Foligno (I guess), that will be a deadly core of youth.

If we are talking a package for Getzlaf, were looking at Roy, Stafford, Weber/McNabb or our 1st rd pick.

And that's just a guess, they may ask for Adam or Kassian as opposed to Stafford. Which I would be open to as long as Regier uses Stafford in another deal.

I would use Boyes and Gragnani/Weber to bring in Stoll and a pick as well.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I love what Adam has brought to this team this year. can't wait until he matures along with Kassian, McNabb and Foligno (I guess), that will be a deadly core of youth.

Foligno I am guessing will be a 3rd liner.

McNabb looks like a solid player on D. Regehrs eventual replacement.

Adam looks to be an eventual 2nd line center, 50 to 60 points a season with the right linemates.

Kassian appears to be a 2nd line RW'er, 50 to 60 points a season, same as Adam.

I would much rather have Getzlaf then any one of these players. So if Kassian, Adam or McNabb have to go in a deal, bye bye, Hello Getzlaf.......

There is room on this team for Parise, Stoll, Doan and Grabovsky.

Yes on Parise and Doan. No thanks on the other 2.

They traded for Regehr and no other team in their right mind was going to offer Leino the money the Sabres did. The only player they actually "recruited" was Ehrhoff, and even that took a ton of upfront money. .

No. Regehr was recruited. Otherwise he wouldn't have waived his NTC.

Roy, MAG, prospect to Vancouver for Ryan Kesler.

EDIT: Just realised, aren't we still missing a top line center? (thinking Stafford + Leopold for someone like Thornton or Staal, etc)

Derek Roy, McNabb, and a 1st possibly plus a 2nd

If we are talking a package for Getzlaf, were looking at Roy, Stafford, Weber/McNabb or our 1st rd pick.

And that's just a guess, they may ask for Adam or Kassian as opposed to Stafford. Which I would be open to as long as Regier uses Stafford in another deal.

I would much rather have Getzlaf then any one of these players. So if Kassian, Adam or McNabb have to go in a deal, bye bye, Hello Getzlaf.......

I blame you for this avalanche of BS, Weave.

This is a thread for theoretical trade ideas so why not?

Why not just post, and make everyone read, your thoughts on the possibility of Scarlett Johanssen showing up at your apartment in her underwear and driving your new Mercedes?

Answer: because it's a waste of everyone's time to read this nonsense.

Correct, but they aren't going to do so. This was just Dreger blowing hot air. Not as gaseous as the "possible trades" quoted above, but gaseous nonetheless.

Correct, but they aren't going to do so. This was just Dreger blowing hot air. Not as gaseous as the "possible trades" quoted above, but gaseous nonetheless.

I find it hard to believe what I posted was BS, especially since I stated it was a guess.

And yes, Dregger was merely putting his opinion out based on the Bobby Ryan scenario.

That doesn't make it any more or less a reality, it makes a possibility in his opinion.

And if indeed Getzlaf by any chance does become available, you throw what you have to at Anaheim to get him. Players like him aren't a dime a dozen and there currently isn't one on this Sabres team. He is precisely the type of component that is missing here. So I don't see how anything I mentioned in my post would not be on the table.

This is a ###### joke right? Start with Myers and Kassian, that might get Anaheim's attention.

Might...

I highly doubt both. But yes, Kassian could very well be needed in the deal to get it done. And it's a no brainer, you do it.

Hey, it got the liger out of hiding, didn't it?

OK folks. Actual trade proposals lead to one thing only, "ZOMG UR STOOPID AND R OVERVALUING HIM", "NO UR STOOPID AND R UNDERVALUING HIM".

The idea is, pros and cons of players you'd think Buffalo might go after. Let's try it again.

Archived