Stafford needs to go

Eleven

Stafford really stepped up this year, not just in his production, but his effort and his leadership. Just listening to him he sounded like a whole new person. If he can keep it up, I think he deserves it. Girgensons is too young. The kid's got everything to look forward to, a coach that's in love with him, fans that love him, a desire to win...... let's not push it. He'll get his turn.

Sit down before you look further

Paul Hamilton said he expects Stafford to be captain next year

I called that shortly after the trade deadline. Nolan thinks the world of Stafford, or at least says he does (not sure whether he really believes it or he's trying to motivate Staff). Either way, I'm okay with it.

Stafford still must go. He's only good compared to the rest of the rotten roster we have so he looked better than usual. He got rewarded with a huge contract after his 30 goal season, sleep-walked through a few years after that and now he's re-emerging as a "leader" when the team was at its all-time nadir. In the past, when the team had good players he was nowhere to be found. The fact that he is still around to me says that Stafford is the beneficiary of an organization that accepts and rewards mediocrity from its players and execs, no matter what it says about winning Stanley Cups. The Sabres are an organization that doesn't know their a** from their elbow. TP just wants that cushy comraderie and ego stroke from being an alumnus to some mythical form of excellence.

Edited by 716

Stafford still must go. He's only good compared to the rest of the rotten roster we have so he looked better than usual. He got rewarded with a huge contract after his 30 goal season, sleep-walked through a few years after that and now he's re-emerging as a "leader" when the team was at its all-time nadir. In the past, when the team had good players he was nowhere to be found. The fact that he is still around to me says that Stafford is the beneficiary of an organization that accepts and rewards mediocrity from its players and execs, no matter what it says about winning Stanley Cups. The Sabres are an organization that doesn't know their a** from their elbow. TP just wants that cushy comraderie and ego stroke from being an alumnus to some mythical form of excellence.

I think you're taking some leaps there. He'll be gone by next year's deadline. Hopefully LONG before, and not just because I want rid of him: Trading him at the deadline means trading to a contender, for a lesser draft pick. Trading him now might land a lottery selection.

I think you're taking some leaps there. He'll be gone by next year's deadline. Hopefully LONG before, and not just because I want rid of him: Trading him at the deadline means trading to a contender, for a lesser draft pick. Trading him now might land a lottery selection.

If he's packaged with another player and a lesser pick maybe. Him performing well in his contract year will allow us to flip just him for a late 1st + a prospect maybe. I think 1sts will be hard to come by at next years deadline, though so maybe not.

I still say it's Girgensons. Although this thread would become thoroughly entertaining if Nolan chooses Stafford.

Doubtful it'll be Zemgus. Nolan this morning said he doesn't want to put too much on a young kid's shoulders. Though he did sound open to giving him an A.

• 2 months later...

Stafford was not worth the some months ago. We even ripped the A of his name.

And now he will probably the C for our team.

Rock bottom was not reached yet.

This is Buffalo lol! We are so bad that people seem to forget about that losing the A thing.

No worries though. With Ott coming back he will be wearing the C again. Not saying he's all that but he more than proved capable and will allow young guys to mature and will certainly stick up for them and yap for them. I think he comes back knowing he signs a nice five year deal that keeps him here for some glory years for being willing to endure the bottom for a couple.

All part of Tank MkII. He may or may not go back to sucking, but it won't matter. Either he disappears like a fart in the wind when we let his contract expire or we trade his suddenly performing ass for some picks at the deadline.

Seeing as how he probably won't contribute to many wins, I'd rather have the return.

Or ###### it, maybe we sell him high now and collect picks/pieces for this year.

This. Stafford's going to score 30/30, spoil the tank and sign a five-year $30 million contract.

This thread is going to hit triple-digit pages.

They need to spend more - so we'll see a 3 year $25 mil deal.

• 2 weeks later...