Stafford needs to go

Eleven

• 2 weeks later...

How are Stafford and Parise such great friends. I guess opposites do attract.

Comments on Yahoo regarding Parise:

Said coach Pete DeBoer: "He's an exceptional player, but he's an exceptional person. This guy is one of the hardest working people I've ever been around. Not just in sport. He's committed. He's a rare guy. Ask anyone in that room. He earns what he gets on the ice because he comes and punches the clock every day and puts his work boots on and never gives anything less than 100 percent."

• 2 weeks later...

How are Stafford and Parise such great friends. I guess opposites do attract.

Comments on Yahoo regarding Parise:

Said coach Pete DeBoer: "He's an exceptional player, but he's an exceptional person. This guy is one of the hardest working people I've ever been around. Not just in sport. He's committed. He's a rare guy. Ask anyone in that room. He earns what he gets on the ice because he comes and punches the clock every day and puts his work boots on and never gives anything less than 100 percent."

Dear me. This is the guy. I don't care who else the Sabres have at LW. This is the guy they need.

Separately: I think Stafford might literally be suffering from depression. He seems like he's in a fog. Even when he scores he doesn't seem that happy -- and especially not in his interviews. Maybe the family difficulties we've vaguely heard about have brought it on. I'm fortunate in that I don't have personal experience with depression, but I've had family members who have, and it can be debilitating.

Not saying that we should excuse his terrible showing this year, but just theorizing. And even though I'm not a doctor and have never met the guy -- why shouldn't I diagnose him?

And even though I'm not a doctor and have never met the guy -- why shouldn't I diagnose him?

Why not? Hasn't this board already diagnosed Myers with Marfan Syndrome and Ryan Miller with some biocular misalignment that affects depth perception?

...and let's not forget that the whole team is gay.

Not the whole team, but the vast majority of The Core.

....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Stafford was a zombie out there against Boston last night, an image we have seen repeating itself far too often. No energy, no awareness, floating around and taking the night off. But I will tell you this: Thomas Vanek was playing the same way all night until he got drilled. And he got drilled because he was also playing like a zombie. I was at the game watching all the Sabres, particularly when they were away from the puck.

I can easily name ten guys last night who were sleep-walking and resembled in no way the type of players you would see fighting for their playoff lives. I can also name ten who were trying and demonstrated a willingness to pay the price to win.

Stafford is in the former group. Another over-priced, over-valued Darcy-type player. I read Eleven's original post... could not be more SPOT ON!

P.S. I wish no ill will on Stafford; if he has family or medical issues, I wish him well in either regard (and all of it is rumor and conjecture, anyway). But I heard of no such issues prior to him scoring the big contract during his ONE breakout year. ONE and DONE.

• 11 months later...

To revive an old topic...

In his last 25 games, Stafford has ONE goal. He's not a defense-man ... he's a winger. That's ridiculously bad for an offensive player - I remember fans mocking Leino for, what, 8 goals in 71 games played? Stafford has become invisible on offense and completely ineffective. Frankly, he should have been sent packing with BFF Roy. Seems like he's better on defense than offense - his power play kill seems quite good actually.

Edited by Jsixspd

To revive an old topic...

In his last 25 games, Stafford has ONE goal. He's not a defense-man ... he's a winger. That's ridiculously bad for an offensive player - I remember fans mocking Leino for, what, 8 goals in 71 games played? Stafford has become invisible on offense and completely ineffective. Frankly, he should have been sent packing with BFF Roy. Seems like he's better on defense than offense - his power play kill seems quite good actually.

And he doesn't appear to be on the doorstep or anything...ya know, "snakebitten"...he's just toothless on offense. The shots he gets are low percentage ones directly into the goalie's logo.

Sorry, guys, didn't mean to confuse. I figured I'd use the most recent Stafford topic, rather than clutter up the forums with a new one.

Interesting that fans have been pointing out the guy is dead wood for at least 3 seasons now, yet Stafford lingers on the roster. I hope he goes at the end of this season.

Sorry, guys, didn't mean to confuse. I figured I'd use the most recent Stafford topic, rather than clutter up the forums with a new one.

Interesting that fans have been pointing out the guy is dead wood for at least 3 seasons now, yet Stafford lingers on the roster. I hope he goes at the end of this season.

It sucks though because as soon as we start the cat calls he actually scores. I hope Ralston doesn't think he is actually good for the team. If he scores maybe it will make him more valuable trade bait. Either way get rid of him.