Stafford needs to go

Eleven

I actually wouldn't mind Drew as a $2 million per year veteran third/fourth line guy. He has some size, can carry the puck a bit, can check, can fight once in a while. But he isn't a scoring line guy and shouldn't be paid as such. At $4 million per his contract is dreadful.

Just another example of Darcy placing his bets on the wrong horses.

I actually wouldn't mind Drew as a $2 million per year veteran third/fourth line guy. He has some size, can carry the puck a bit, can check, can fight once in a while. But he isn't a scoring line guy and shouldn't be paid as such. At $4 million per his contract is dreadful.

Just another example of Darcy placing his bets on the wrong horses.

I couldn't disagree more.

Stafford doesn't care. We're lucky with a 50% effort out of him. I don't want him near any of the young players.

I'm thinking just the opposite.

…and no, I don't work for the Sabres.

I wonder if Staff is a guy who plays hard for a Nolan? it will be interesting to see.

And I think Ennis becomes a buzzsaw under Nolan. Just a gut feeling.

Edited by weave

I wonder if Staff is a guy who plays hard for a Nolan? it will be interesting to see.

Ennis was already looking pretty good this year. He makes a difference when he skates like his hair is on fire. He just needs to do it every game.

Both are possible, although I think it's much more likely that Stafford is what he is at this point and as such will be gone by the summer.

That is a great question for the forum:

If Stafford continues to play like last night, is all forgiven?

Or has he already burned his bridge with you, the fan?

I personally didn't think his game was all that different. He's always been solid on the boards, clears the zone when he is on the half boards, and is actually one of the better passers we have. He just hasn't been scoring. It's amazing how when everyone plays just a little bit better, someone can look a lot better.

…and no, I don't work for the Sabres.

I'm cutting Drew zero slack. His energy hasn't been bad this season but he needs to contribute as well. If he's not going to put up numbers then it doesn't matter if Ted fixes his compete. If he earns his paycheck and Pat, Ted and the new GM think he's forgiven, then I too may forgive him. But he needs to prove that it wasn't his fault alone.

I'm done with him. I feel like the team can't trust him not to disappear after the compliance buyout period, after the next contract, etc.

And even when he should be fighting for his career, he's only had two or three games this season where he's put in a full effort.

No. F*** NO!

Stafford still has to go. The sooner the better. Are you really going to fall for him temporarily giving a crap again? We do not want this guy in our organization and influencing our young players.

Can't wait to see where he is two weeks from now.

My guess is the pressbox, or the fourth line, getting 3 minutes.

I am not so sure. He is exactly the kind of player Nolan likes to have. Big body skilled forward. If Nolan can't turn Stafford into a reliable hockey player, then idk if anyone will. He did play well last night. I expect Nolan to invest a lot of time into Stafford. Will be interesting to see where he's at a few weeks from now, as you wondered yourself.

If -- and this is an enormous if -- he plays the rest of the season like he played last night, Nolan is a genius and of course everyone here (regardless of what they're saying now) will want him back.

Even if that happens, though, I only want him if Nolan stays and in any case I'm not giving him more than a 2-year contract.

If -- and this is an enormous if -- he plays the rest of the season like he played last night, Nolan is a genius and of course everyone here (regardless of what they're saying now) will want him back.

Even if that happens, though, I only want him if Nolan stays and in any case I'm not giving him more than a 2-year contract.

Nope. He can score 40 goals in the last 60 games and that'll just mean his value is at an all-time high. Trade him.

This reminds me of how every time the Bills draft a guy, someone digs up his college highlight reel and he looks like the next Cornelius Bennett. But that's if you only watch 3 minutes of his absolute best college plays.

Stafford will always be able to tantalize us with occasional flashes of brilliance. But those are only part of the story. He'll always be the guy who, at a moment's notice, can doze off for about a season or two.

Stafford is not the answer and not the veteran we want around young players.

Nope. He can score 40 goals in the last 60 games and that'll just mean his value is at an all-time high. Trade him.

This reminds me of how every time the Bills draft a guy, someone digs up his college highlight reel and he looks like the next Cornelius Bennett. But that's if you only watch 3 minutes of his absolute best college plays.

Stafford will always be able to tantalize us with occasional flashes of brilliance. But those are only part of the story. He'll always be the guy who, at a moment's notice, can doze off for about a season or two.

Stafford is not the answer and not the veteran we want around young players.

Everything you said is absolutely right.

But I agree with nfreeman; he plays like this all year and the majority will be screaming for him to get a 5x5, save for maybe me, you, and d4rk, and maybe a couple of others.

Everything you said is absolutely right.

But I agree with nfreeman; he plays like this all year and the majority will be screaming for him to get a 5x5, save for maybe me, you, and d4rk, and maybe a couple of others.

ahem.