Stafford needs to go

Eleven

Don't forget Hecht, until he signed for like $1M, and folks no longer expected him to play top six. And be careful with everyone. I only hated Connolly on that list.

Maybe that's the formula for whipping boy? Most under-performing top six player? Or maybe I should check the stats; maybe it's highest dollars per point or something.

There are some advanced stats that indicate that, even last year, Stafford is far from the biggest dingleberry on the team.

How the hell do you include all that in the same post?

It's not an "advanced stat".....if I pay $49 for a filet...I want a filet. If I pay $0.99 for a double cheeseburger.....I have standards set.

If there was no salary cap....then I would hope Mr. Gasman would be offering $20 million a year for every free agent. We live in the real world though. A world of genius #blueprint

Don't forget Hecht, until he signed for like $1M, and folks no longer expected him to play top six. And be careful with everyone. I only hated Connolly on that list.

Maybe that's the formula for whipping boy? Most under-performing top six player? Or maybe I should check the stats; maybe it's highest dollars per point or something.

There are some advanced stats that indicate that, even last year, Stafford is far from the biggest dingleberry on the team.

I don't believe I knew you back in my teens...lol, in any case I think its mainly when we see someone who has great potential AND has shown flashes at times, gets paid as if he will become that great version, and turns to a turd sandwich Edited by Tricky

This team could really do with more forwards who put up 50 points in seasons where their play is described as 'invisible'!

Bar last year, Stafford has been one of our most consistent forwards. He is consistently streaky and puts up about 50 points (or 0.6ppg) a season. There are worse players to have on your team. He is also, usually, alright defensively (no Selke winner, but no slouch either)

Season - Points Per Game

06 - 0.66

07 - 0.59

08 - 0.57

09 - 0.45

10 - 0.84

11 - 0.63

12 - 0.39

I don't care about anything other than the eyeball test and when I see a player like Stafford do what he did last night that's all I need to know

Edited by CallawaySabres

I don't like him, and I can ###### on him for lots of reasons, but he's working hard right now, and I can't ###### on him for that.

I don't think you get it. He's capable of that every night. He's shown it once in three years. I don't want that on this team.

I don't think you get it. He's capable of that every night. He's shown it once in three years. I don't want that on this team.

We also can't fail to mention that the stats don't tell the story about what Drew actually brings to the team, which is an abundance of points scored in a meaningless fashion. He rarely contributes when it matters.

We also can't fail to mention that the stats don't tell the story about what Drew actually brings to the team, which is an abundance of points scored in a meaningless fashion. He rarely contributes when it matters.

He's no Miro. There is not an abundance of anything.

I need more of a sample this season to pass judgment on Stafford. I think Physics makes a fair point. We all evolve and mature; we all have our life-realizations. Stafford isn't an old salt, yet. Maybe he DID prep harder over the summer. The dude just got married, too. If she's pregnant, or they're talking about it, that will certainly get him to wake up a little and think through things differently.

Personally, while keeping his past in the proper perspective, I will give him more time before deciding whether he's the same old, or has finally taken the right step forward.

Same goes for Myers. I think his game looks better than it has. But, we'll see.

I mean, let's remember these are young men, yet. And the past couple of seasons have been hostile seasons here in Buffalo. I think that plays into a player's psyche and takes a lot more to overcome than if one were developing in, say, Chicago, Pittsburgh, or Boston.

This is not say I think fans should change, or that I wish the attitude were different, all of that is on the organization. But, we can't ignore the effects of being part of a crappy organization on a young, male ego.

I need more of a sample this season to pass judgment on Stafford. I think Physics makes a fair point. We all evolve and mature; we all have our life-realizations. Stafford isn't an old salt, yet. Maybe he DID prep harder over the summer. The dude just got married, too. If she's pregnant, or they're talking about it, that will certainly get him to wake up a little and think through things differently.

Personally, while keeping his past in the proper perspective, I will give him more time before deciding whether he's the same old, or has finally taken the right step forward.

Same goes for Myers. I think his game looks better than it has. But, we'll see.

I mean, let's remember these are young men, yet. And the past couple of seasons have been hostile seasons here in Buffalo. I think that plays into a player's psyche and takes a lot more to overcome than if one were developing in, say, Chicago, Pittsburgh, or Boston.

This is not say I think fans should change, or that I wish the attitude were different, all of that is on the organization. But, we can't ignore the effects of being part of a crappy organization on a young, male ego.

umm boston will tear it's players apart even when they are winning. only reason they get a easier time is cause they won a cup within the past 3 seasons. Give it a season or 2 more and the full venom of boston fandom will strike players mercilessly

umm boston will tear it's players apart even when they are winning. only reason they get a easier time is cause they won a cup within the past 3 seasons. Give it a season or 2 more and the full venom of boston fandom will strike players mercilessly

No, they get an easier ride out here because if the team fails, the fans just quickly return back to the Red Sox, Patriots, or Celtics. There are too many distractions. If one team fails, just watch the other one. The rate of change in team t-shirts around here is staggering.

The fun thing is we can actually look this up! Stafford's even strength numbers when the game is close (within 1 goal), minimum of 400 minutes played:

Year: G A points/60min(forward rank)

07-08: 8 - 7 - 2.22 (2nd)

08-09: 7 - 13 -1.88 (5th)

09-10: 4 - 7 -1;35 (8th)

10-11: 9 - 6 -1.88 (7th)

11-12: 7 - 17 - 2.19 (2nd)

12-13: 4 - 7 - 1.74 (4th) *200 minutes played as the threshold due to shortened season*

Seems to me he's not collecting more meaningless points than the rest of the forwards.

The fun thing is we can actually look this up! Stafford's even strength numbers when the game is close (within 1 goal), minimum of 400 minutes played:

Year: G A points/60min(forward rank)

07-08: 8 - 7 - 2.22 (2nd)

08-09: 7 - 13 -1.88 (5th)

09-10: 4 - 7 -1;35 (8th)

10-11: 9 - 6 -1.88 (7th)

11-12: 7 - 17 - 2.19 (2nd)

12-13: 4 - 7 - 1.74 (4th) *200 minutes played as the threshold due to shortened season*

Seems to me he's not collecting more meaningless points than the rest of the forwards.

I hate you :P

Hahaha this was started in 2011

Ha!!! I saw this thread and though it had been started due to Staffords terrible play last night. I open the thread and see this same conversation has been going on since 2011. :w00t:

I can't wait until the day when I can close this thread.

That was a pretty brutal play in front of the net. If he hadn't hit Miller's stick then he would knocked the puck away from the shooter and Miller wouldn't have been knocked off balance. Pretty unlucky.

Luckily I was able to file it away in my brain as blame Stafford.

Torey Krug is 5'9'' and 180 lbs. Stafford has 5 inches and over 30 pounds on the guy and still got outworked.