Stafford needs to go

Eleven

Derek Roy? Jason Pominville?

Just kidding. Regehr's playing well.

You could name about five or six if you really tried.. . .lol... Regehr was smart ...he realized early he had made a mistake.He was the only true first pair defender we had

Edited by waldo

Drew Stafford needs to stay, if for nothing else it will keep the fans from turning on their next scapegoat.

Scapegoat ? The guy makes 4 million a year and hasn't even come close to living up to that deal. Accountability shouldn't be a foreign thing for a professional hockey team.

The word "scapegoat" makes it seem that Stafford is being criticized unfairly, I just don't see that as being the case.

Edited by deluca67

The word "scapegoat" make sit seem that Stafford is being criticized unfairly, I just don't see that as being the case.

On the contrary, a guy like Stafford deserves every ounce of flak he's getting.

He has talent, decent size and decent speed.

If he cared enough to give at least a decent effort every other night, this guy could be a 30-40 point guy every year.

He doesn't even give that much.

If he cared enough to give at least a decent effort every other night, this guy could be a 30-40 point guy every year.

Um. He's been a 40+ point guy for a while now. Did you mean goals?

I have said it before and I will say it again, contrary to popular opinion, those close to the situation will tell you that his problem is he cares too much, that he is too hard on himself and takes all criticism too personally.

That being said, its definitely time for him to move on.

Um. He's been a 40+ point guy for a while now. Did you mean goals?

No I meant points, just forgot to factor in that a regular season is normally 82 games long.

Revised, I would say 50 points from Drew Stafford is acceptable, just not at the contract Regier gave him.

Story of this franchise, I guess.

I have said it before and I will say it again, contrary to popular opinion, those close to the situation will tell you that his problem is he cares too much, that he is too hard on himself and takes all criticism too personally.

That being said, its definitely time for him to move on.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you're wrong and I'm right, cause in all fairness I have no clue whether he cares too much or not.

I will say this though, the way he often seems to refuse to reach for a less than perfect pass doesn't bear the mark of someone who cares too much, but again I have no idea what the actual situation is.

That said, anyone who's ever played hockey knows how frustrating teammates who can't pass can be, and the Sabres have a ton of these guys.

I'll just rephrase it to "he plays like he doesn't care".

Edited by Kristian

No I meant points, just forgot to factor in that a regular season is normally 82 games long.

Revised, I would say 50 points from Drew Stafford is acceptable, just not at the contract Regier gave him.

Story of this franchise, I guess.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you're wrong and I'm right, cause in all fairness I have no clue whether he cares too much or not.

I will say this though, the way he often seems to refuse to reach for a less than perfect pass doesn't bear the mark of someone who cares too much, but again I have no idea what the actual situation is.

That said, anyone who's ever played hockey knows how frustrating teammates who can't pass can be, and the Sabres have a ton of these guys.

I'll just rephrase it to "he plays like he doesn't care".

Can't argue with that and I must admit that I was surprised when not 1 or 2, but three different people close to the situation told me similar sentiments.

Can't argue with that and I must admit that I was surprised when not 1 or 2, but three different people close to the situation told me similar sentiments.

Perhaps it's just a case where he really does care and wants to do well and perform, but doesn't have that "I'll go through a wall for this!" mentality. People can care about something and simultaneously not do what it takes to get it done. I'd just use Ralph Wilson as an example...I honestly believe he wants to win, but rarely has he put forth the financial resources necessary (talking coaches and front office just as much as players) to accomplish it.

Perhaps it's just a case where he really does care and wants to do well and perform, but doesn't have that "I'll go through a wall for this!" mentality. People can care about something and simultaneously not do what it takes to get it done. I'd just use Ralph Wilson as an example...I honestly believe he wants to win, but rarely has he put forth the financial resources necessary (talking coaches and front office just as much as players) to accomplish it.

I am of two minds in respect to this. I think verbally he does care and if emotionally when the team is going bad he can't step up or he needs the game to be fun for him to play well then that is on coaching to figure that out. Guy who are hard on themselves are tough to deal with they need lots of positive encouragement, something they are not going to get from this board.

It may explain why after a game he seems so relieved the times I have seen him, the piano is off his back. Get the boy a shrink and help him get past this thing or move him. I am at the point that I say move him. I agree at his best he is something to watch, but it has been too far and few between. My only other thought his move him to opposite wing with Vanek and see what happens.

Been a long time Drew hater, don't hate the man, just can't stand the lack of effort to go "through a wall"... the boy needs to lead by example, not be a follower and he has the talent to do so.

Edited by North Buffalo

• 1 month later...

He was absolutely terrible last year, but even his biggest haters have to admit he is a better player than that.

Wouldn't be shocked if he bounces back with 20 to 25 goals next year.

And my left-field prediction: he develops some chemistry and (cue the choking noises) a mentorship role with Grigorenko.

Edited by dudacek

He was absolutely terrible last year, but even his biggest haters have to admit he is a better player than that.

And my left-field prediction: he develops some chemistry and (cue the choking noises) a mentorship role with Grigorenko.

There goes one point for Team Sunbeams.

Team Stormclouds, you are up next.

Not only wouldn't I be shocked, but I expect it. He's not going to shoot 5% again.