Stafford needs to go

Eleven

I'm fairly convinced that they will buy out Stafford at the end of the year. They'll give Leino one more year and then most likely buy him out the following year. There's no sense in burning both buyouts in the same year.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to make a "Kotalik" type trade and Send Stafford and a 3rd round pick somewhere for a "prospect", then buy out Leino this year...freeing up another $8 million?

I'm scared for us all........all we have is each other now......and that's scary too! :wub:

I'm fairly convinced that they will buy out Stafford at the end of the year. They'll give Leino one more year and then most likely buy him out the following year. There's no sense in burning both buyouts in the same year.

I doubt that. If they were planning on buying him out, why not just complete whatever trade (trades?) they were close to with him today and drop him that way? They'd have saved money and gotten something in return.

I think they're hoping he turns it around.

And based on Leopold's comments about the morose nature of the locker room, I'm thinking Stafford is someone we should have moved ASAP just to have him gone. I doubt he's helping things behind the scenes.

I doubt that. If they were planning on buying him out, why not just complete whatever trade (trades?) they were close to with him today and drop him that way? They'd have saved money and gotten something in return.

And based on Leopold's comments about the morose nature of the locker room, I'm thinking Stafford is someone we should have moved ASAP just to have him gone. I doubt he's helping things behind the scenes.

All rumors (and Darcy's presser) point to the trade including Ryan Miller, and that's a lot more complicated than just "hell, take him away from us, he's yours."

All rumors (and Darcy's presser) point to the trade including Ryan Miller, and that's a lot more complicated than just "hell, take him away from us, he's yours."

That's the Washington trade. Supposedly Edmonton was in on him too and decided the price was too high.

It's killing me to think that we almost moved Miller and Stafford to Washington today but came up just short. Again, this is where Regier needs to forget about "winning" the trade and just get it done where both teams are OK with it.

What clues were in DR's presser?

He was asked whether he tried to move Stafford and Miller. His response was, in substance, that he wouldn't talk about them because they still were on the roster.

His tone was even more telling.

That's the Washington trade. Supposedly Edmonton was in on him too and decided the price was too high.

It's killing me to think that we almost moved Miller and Stafford to Washington today but came up just short. Again, this is where Regier needs to forget about "winning" the trade and just get it done where both teams are OK with it.

None of us know what DC offered.

He was asked whether he tried to move Stafford and Miller. His response was, in substance, that he wouldn't talk about them because they still were on the roster.

We can guess Foresberg was a piece - if they got Stafford, i doubt they get Erat

True, but if it was "Forsberg and ___________" I'd be pretty interested. I have basically zero interest in watching Stafford play hockey for us anymore and Miller doesn't fit into our long term plans. A blue chip prospect like Forsberg would be huge for us in this rebuild. I wouldn't need a ton more after that.

True, but if it was "Forsberg and ___________" I'd be pretty interested. I have basically zero interest in watching Stafford play hockey for us anymore and Miller doesn't fit into our long term plans. A blue chip prospect like Forsberg would be huge for us in this rebuild. I wouldn't need a ton more after that.

Foresberg, Holtby, 2013 1st and Wilson for Stafford and Miller and 2013 3rd

I think this is a fair deal and one that I would pull the trigger on

I don't know if I would call Forsberg a blue chip prospect. I remember reading several rumors months ago that we was available and I didn't believe it. Now that they actually dealt him it makes me think that he's not as good as he seems.

As one of the few to be down on Stafford before it became the cool thing to do, IMO, there is no reason to just give him away. Hopefully he can have a bounce back year next season which will raise the trade value. Considering where Stafford is now, the return wouldn't be worth the effort.

And the thread remains.

Oh, I had so hoped, beyond hope, that I would log on this morning and see a final post ... *HE WENT* and with that the thread was locked.

Alas, the next big date circled on my calendar is draft day. I so want something to happen leading up to the draft.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to make a "Kotalik" type trade and Send Stafford and a 3rd round pick somewhere for a "prospect", then buy out Leino this year...freeing up another $8 million?

I'm scared for us all........all we have is each other now......and that's scary too! :wub:

Yes on Stafford. I still want to see what Leino can do when healthy before dumping him though.

I put no stock whatsoever in rumors about Stafford trades being almost completed. Unless it was part of a bigger package, no one was going to take him yesterday and no one will take him this summer.