Leadership

RazielSabre

I know you're making a funny, but I think he has offered plenty of good material in the past. If he didn't we wouldn't let him remain here. But he tends towards this trend of allowing nonsense to take over his posts. He's taken vacations before to remedy it and maybe it's starting to become time for one again. It's just a shame because I hate glossing over the posts of a long standing member, but I don't have the time to dedicate to reading and interpreting his rants. I'm here to read a forum, not Ulysses.

That's fine. I appreciate your balance.

I hear people try to negate critics of the team as blowhards with the "Lindy Sucks.....Darcy Sucks....Fire Everybody..." schtick of their own.

It isn't always easy to be critical, and when fans are involved, there is usually going to be tons more support than detractors. I end up having to expand even more than I'd like to at times to counterpoint the same issues. If 10 posters are positive, 10 can lean either way on a situation, and 3 are critical.......the critical poster will probably have to put more out there to support their point against popular belief or sentiment. Likewise if it swings the other way.

Feel free to gloss over what looks to be a rant. I do the same at times. When local sports media consists of a radio station under contract by the Sabres, and one columnist with a hockey background......it is pretty easy to control the flow of discussion in the mainstream. I just try and make an educated point instead of resorting to "Lindy Sucks....Darcy Sucks...." If someone disagrees with my perspective, then brilliant. I respond harshly to those that TELL ME what to think. I am not telling anyone what to think.....I just try to present facts and add my opinion. Information open for disection is the key.

Then why doesn't someone here show some "leadership" and tell us what is so great about the current Sabres and their situation? All I seem to see is "have patience" and "we have lots of boo-boos". If you can bring facts to the table as to great coaching moves, proactive GM moves that have a positive outcome this year, or stellar play from any of the veteran players and money-makers...I am more than willing to listen.

The biggest positive I have seen is more energy, physical play, and guys sticking up for each other. Unfortunately it has come from Kassian, McNabb, Tropp, Finley, Ellis, and Szczchura......all guys who were not on the opening day roster and who other than Ellis, have played a total of 20 games under Lindy Ruff.

Please....elaborate on the current positives.....

Current positives:

Goaltending -- I am confident that Miller will right the ship and depth is greatly improved with Enroth.

Coaching -- I appreciate that many disagree on this.

Defense -- when healthy I think the Sabres have a great mix of experience, youth, speed, size and physicality, growing pains of young guys notwithstanding.

Non-top-6 forwards: Adam, Kassian, Gerbe, Gaustad, Kaleta, Tropp and McCormick are all good to very good 3rd and 4th liners.

Pipeline -- Size, talent and grit. Adam and Kassian both look like the real deal; McNabb likely is as well. Tropp and Brennan looked like future contributors, and we haven't even seen Foligno yet.

Ownership -- You may be willing to write them off because they haven't carried out your preferred overhaul of GM/coach yet, but I think most observers would regard this as pretty much the best possible ownership scenario.

Start to season -- not great but miles better than last season, especially in light of turnover on D and significant injuries.

So you are saying that one poster with a critical eye who is willing to give thought out and thorough analysis of the Sabres and who is not afraid to ask questions of those in authority is enough to shut up an entire "majority" of fans who feel the sky is the limit and are happy with the current situation and find conditions ideal if not acceptable?

You should be on the Sabres payroll, because that is a fine excuse after another defeat.

Sort of like that?............. :angel:

Again, calling your own analysis "thought out and thorough" doesn't make it so.

Are all of us happy with losing? no. But at the same time, some of us think you can achieve change and change direction without doing a wholesale change. For instance, I've said that just trading a player or two and changing some chemistry on the team could help.

There we go.

I'm confused. Why, exactly, can't we use injuries as excuse for losing? Nobody is going to convince me that we are better when Leo and Myers on the ice.

I assume you mean "aren't better" and if so this is 100% correct. However, I don't like the "excuse for losing" part because every team has injuries.

He's a modern day Tommy.

Sure plays a mean playstation spreads a mean and neverending load of BS trade ideas.

Fixed.

Who is making it "about me"? When I have a certain poster following me around in every thread like he is a Remora to my Shark.....isn't he making it "about me"?

I made the mistake last time I was under attack by generalising my rebuttal instead of singling out the very few posters who were attacking. Chz, you are fine. I get it that you like the half-full cup. but what is more irrelevant.....me expanding on the same points about the hockey team and management in multiple threads, or posters constantly riding me for my opinion in multiple threads?

When the foundation is rotten, who gives a crap what color paint the walls are?

I assume you are referring to me. I have no desire to make anything personal. I just don't like to let BS go uncalled.

Goaltending -- I am confident that Miller will right the ship and depth is greatly improved with Enroth. Agree

Coaching -- I appreciate that many disagree on this. Thank you for appreciating that we disagree!

Defense -- when healthy I think the Sabres have a great mix of experience, youth, speed, size and physicality, growing pains of young guys notwithstanding.

Not even close to a great mix if the top 6 is Myers, Ehrhoff, Leopold, Gragnani, Sekera & Regehr.

Non-top-6 forwards: Adam, Kassian, Gerbe, Gaustad, Kaleta, Tropp and McCormick are all good to very good 3rd and 4th liners.

I think if the Sabres are to succeed this season, they need new blood in the top 6...Adam, Kassian or acquired via trade.

Pipeline -- Size, talent and grit. Adam and Kassian both look like the real deal; McNabb likely is as well. Tropp and Brennan looked like future contributors, and we haven't even seen Foligno yet. Not to mention Scheistel, Sundher, Catenacci & Pysyk. I'd still like to see some prospect blueline depth traded for some prospect forward depth.

Ownership -- You may be willing to write them off because they haven't carried out your preferred overhaul of GM/coach yet, but I think most observers would regard this as pretty much the best possible ownership scenario. I'm not writing Pegula off because of this, but I still have serious concerns about Regier, and to a lesser extent Ruff & Co.

Start to season -- not great but miles better than last season, especially in light of turnover on D and significant injuries. I don't buy into the slow start because of getting acclimated to the system(whatever that may be)/new teammates, but I do agree that the injuries to Miller & Co. has hurt.

My comments in red.

Then why doesn't someone here show some "leadership" and tell us what is so great about the current Sabres and their situation? All I seem to see is "have patience" and "we have lots of boo-boos". If you can bring facts to the table as to great coaching moves, proactive GM moves that have a positive outcome this year, or stellar play from any of the veteran players and money-makers...I am more than willing to listen.

The biggest positive I have seen is more energy, physical play, and guys sticking up for each other. Unfortunately it has come from Kassian, McNabb, Tropp, Finley, Ellis, and Szczchura......all guys who were not on the opening day roster and who other than Ellis, have played a total of 20 games under Lindy Ruff.

Please....elaborate on the current positives.....

Clearly there is nothing 'great' about the team as it is currently assembled with the excess of injuries and lack of a true #1 center and the need for a top 2 line power forward. But, if those 2 players were added to this roster and they get down to the normal quantity of injuries, this team could be 'great.'

I for the most part have avoided this discussion because I believe that the proper time to evaluate DR's work this season is when it's completed not in the midst of it. A case can be made that DR (and possibly LR) should have been punted this off-season, but TP and TB didn't find that case compelling. Hashing this same discussion all season long will likely get tiresome (for everybody here, team stormcloud, team rainbows and kittens, and team inbetween) though it won't keep it from cropping up continually unless the Sabres really start to take off this year.

One thing that makes me believe keeping DR might have been the right move is all those kids you mentioned above. Since the team went the video scouting route the Sabres seem to be hitting well on high draft picks. He knows they need a #1 center, there wasn't much of a market of available ones this past summer. Let's see if he can find a way to bring one in. If he can't, he can't, and the top dogs should seriously consider bringing in someone who can.

But, it's not like he's been gutting the team while he's here and gutting their future. He's left the pantry pretty full down on the farm and I don't believe that keeping him around has set the team back for the # of days that he's been here since the decision to keep him around. Yeah, with him running the show they probably aren't winning the Stanley Cup this year; but I don't believe anybody else making personnel selections would have been able to do it this year either. If you have someone particular in mind who could have done it and was available, THAT could be an interesting discussion. Though, as mentioned, I don't believe that person was available and the discussions about DR should be gone w/out following up w/ 'so-and-so' SHOULD be here get tiresome.

Which probably brings us to LR. For most of his tenure here, I've been a supporter of his, though there have been 2 times I thought he'd lost the team. Both times I got to that conclusion the team went on a serious 1/2 season long (or longer) tear. For that reason, I wish I felt he should be gone; but I am not there. And TP and DR are both clearly and unequivocably in his corner; so he 'ain't goin' nowhere' which means the discussions about LR will continue all season, likely even if the team does start playing better again, and will also likely get tiresome.

I fully expect the team to be better when they get healthier and when the D-pairings gel. One item that goes primarily unnoticed but affects both is that I am fairly well convinced that the disk/pinched nerve (whatever he's calling it) issue that Miller claims was caused by the hit from Lucic was bothering him for a couple of weeks prior to the hit. His glove had gotten downright scary bad and I don't believe that it was simply a case of losing focus or poor technique. If Miller were healthy and/or his game were gelling, I expect the team would look quite a bit better right now (though I still would say it's lacking the 2 forwards I mentioned to be a TRUE contender); he hasn't been there and they haven't been there either; though if they find a way to go on a 3 game win streak they'd still be right on pace to be 'guaranteed' a playoff spot. (3 game win streaks at home SHOULDN'T be impossible, though this year for this team they seem to be.)

This is a work in progress. We get it, you and several others believe the project is finished and the grades should be in. I expect I will primarily avoid this discussion until much later in the season when I agree that it's time for the grading.

nfreeman......I am not saying anything about you. You are probably the most thoughtful poster when countering my points on a regular basis. Taro can shred me when he feels up to it, but he's either smart or busy enough to stay out of the mudslinging. I'm not going to fault anyone for not wanting to read my stuff, but I will defend my opinion.

How I got into trouble the last time was because I didn't call out specific posters....sorry to do so again. Just for the record, Korab is a smart guy but tries to Kaleta me into getting hot, Shrader just like complaining about me, and Eleven (sorry bud you've been cool), when he gets the right mix of libations going, has a quick trigger finger, as much as i enjoy his insight a lot of times. All 3 of those guys are solid posters though. If me DeLuca and another random poster tried to instigate like what was done today, I bet I'd be banned in a heartbeat if I had to guess.

The heat is on the Sabres to produce, and the faithful are getting prickly. I just make an easy, outspoken target for them.

I assume you mean "aren't better" and if so this is 100% correct. However, I don't like the "excuse for losing" part because every team has injuries.

Sorry, Working while posting (or posting while working?) doesn't always make for a cohesive thought.

Not every team puts nine rookies on the bench for a game. In fact, I wonder if it has ever happened before.

I think leadership is absolutley the problem.. but I thought I'd throw a different theory into the mix .

Sure we've added a few guys but our core remains the same.. but now this year there seems to be something strange boiling under the surface. I've been trying to figure it out. Whatever the issue, it's seems to be unique to this season. They seem less unified. Do you think there's a divide in the room? Maybe based on the captaincy? It's the only big 'political' type change in the room from last year.

Let's just say that there was a "Vanek for Captain" half of the room and a "Pommers for Captain" half. I think a case could be made for a player like Vanek (and his half of the room) being a bit disappointed that he wasn't named captain but moving forward with a 'team first' attitude to start the season. As evidenced by Vanek’s terrific start. But upon seeing the other leaders like gaustad, stafford not showing up. He starts to coast.. thinking 'hey... it's not my team.. not my responsibility to right the ship'. I know that attitude sucks.. but i've been on teams where this type of thing has happened.

I think it also explains why the Sabres always seemed to name the new guy captain in the past (like Rivet, and the rest of the rotating captain carousel we've had since we lost Peca). It doesn’t ruffle any of the delicate feathers on this team.

Taro....thanks.

The Ted Black interview got to me. I understood that Pegula was going to have to learn on the job. Black's defiant nature really caught me off guard. This is the first bit of pressure they (Team Pegula) has felt since his purchase, and I wasn't too soothed by the response.

I quiet down after my 24-48 hour ruffling.

I don't think many here sat and listened to the whole interview. I understand if people don't have time.

nfreeman......I am not saying anything about you. You are probably the most thoughtful poster when countering my points on a regular basis. Taro can shred me when he feels up to it, but he's either smart or busy enough to stay out of the mudslinging. I'm not going to fault anyone for not wanting to read my stuff, but I will defend my opinion.

How I got into trouble the last time was because I didn't call out specific posters....sorry to do so again. Just for the record, Korab is a smart guy but tries to Kaleta me into getting hot, Shrader just like complaining about me, and Eleven (sorry bud you've been cool), when he gets the right mix of libations going, has a quick trigger finger, as much as i enjoy his insight a lot of times. All 3 of those guys are solid posters though. If me DeLuca and another random poster tried to instigate like what was done today, I bet I'd be banned in a heartbeat if I had to guess.

The heat is on the Sabres to produce, and the faithful are getting prickly. I just make an easy, outspoken target for them.

At least warned.

Taro....thanks.

The Ted Black interview got to me. I understood that Pegula was going to have to learn on the job. Black's defiant nature really caught me off guard. This is the first bit of pressure they (Team Pegula) has felt since his purchase, and I wasn't too soothed by the response.

I don't think many here sat and listened to the whole interview. I understand if people don't have time.

I haven't heard any of the interview and won't have a chance to until next weekend at the earliest. By the time I get to listen to it, if I ever do, I'm sure there'll be something else stirring stuff up around here. The only question is whether it'll be something that one of you 'stormcloud' guys says or something our young Liger comes up with. (Most likely, it'll be both; though I'm holding out hope that it's one of chz's double entendres causing the commotion. ;) )

Just win. that will take care of any divide. They didn't seem divided last year when they were winning.

I believe they have a good enough team, they'll put it togetrher. They lost last year in the seventh game against a superior team.

Are they not better this year even with injuries?

Clearly there is nothing 'great' about the team as it is currently assembled with the excess of injuries and lack of a true #1 center and the need for a top 2 line power forward. But, if those 2 players were added to this roster and they get down to the normal quantity of injuries, this team could be 'great.'

I for the most part have avoided this discussion because I believe that the proper time to evaluate DR's work this season is when it's completed not in the midst of it. A case can be made that DR (and possibly LR) should have been punted this off-season, but TP and TB didn't find that case compelling. Hashing this same discussion all season long will likely get tiresome (for everybody here, team stormcloud, team rainbows and kittens, and team inbetween) though it won't keep it from cropping up continually unless the Sabres really start to take off this year.

One thing that makes me believe keeping DR might have been the right move is all those kids you mentioned above. Since the team went the video scouting route the Sabres seem to be hitting well on high draft picks. He knows they need a #1 center, there wasn't much of a market of available ones this past summer. Let's see if he can find a way to bring one in. If he can't, he can't, and the top dogs should seriously consider bringing in someone who can.

But, it's not like he's been gutting the team while he's here and gutting their future. He's left the pantry pretty full down on the farm and I don't believe that keeping him around has set the team back for the # of days that he's been here since the decision to keep him around. Yeah, with him running the show they probably aren't winning the Stanley Cup this year; but I don't believe anybody else making personnel selections would have been able to do it this year either. If you have someone particular in mind who could have done it and was available, THAT could be an interesting discussion. Though, as mentioned, I don't believe that person was available and the discussions about DR should be gone w/out following up w/ 'so-and-so' SHOULD be here get tiresome.

Which probably brings us to LR. For most of his tenure here, I've been a supporter of his, though there have been 2 times I thought he'd lost the team. Both times I got to that conclusion the team went on a serious 1/2 season long (or longer) tear. For that reason, I wish I felt he should be gone; but I am not there. And TP and DR are both clearly and unequivocably in his corner; so he 'ain't goin' nowhere' which means the discussions about LR will continue all season, likely even if the team does start playing better again, and will also likely get tiresome.

I fully expect the team to be better when they get healthier and when the D-pairings gel. One item that goes primarily unnoticed but affects both is that I am fairly well convinced that the disk/pinched nerve (whatever he's calling it) issue that Miller claims was caused by the hit from Lucic was bothering him for a couple of weeks prior to the hit. His glove had gotten downright scary bad and I don't believe that it was simply a case of losing focus or poor technique. If Miller were healthy and/or his game were gelling, I expect the team would look quite a bit better right now (though I still would say it's lacking the 2 forwards I mentioned to be a TRUE contender); he hasn't been there and they haven't been there either; though if they find a way to go on a 3 game win streak they'd still be right on pace to be 'guaranteed' a playoff spot. (3 game win streaks at home SHOULDN'T be impossible, though this year for this team they seem to be.)

This is a work in progress. We get it, you and several others believe the project is finished and the grades should be in. I expect I will primarily avoid this discussion until much later in the season when I agree that it's time for the grading.

Excellent post, as always. If I were smarter I would also avoid this discussion until the results are in. I think I'm just too argumentative.

Much appreciated. I too am quite wary of 11's trigger finger. Step lightly in that minefield.

Taro....thanks.

As far as that goes, I thought the only "defiance" (which I'd characterize more as pushback than testiness or short-temperedness, but it's certainly in the ear of the beholder) was when Howard Simon questioned him on replacing DR/LR. When you first described the exchange, you characterized Simon as a pretty non-confrontational interviewer. While I generally agree with that, I do think on that point, Simon was uncharacteristically pushy. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- there are certainly plenty of fans calling for DR/LR to get canned, and it's Simon's job to get a complete response on that key item from management. I just bring it up because I don't think it's accurate to describe that exchange as Simon lobbing a softball and TB snapping at him.

And with that, I am going to retire from this debate.

For now.

I think leadership is absolutley the problem.. but I thought I'd throw a different theory into the mix .

Sure we've added a few guys but our core remains the same.. but now this year there seems to be something strange boiling under the surface. I've been trying to figure it out. Whatever the issue, it's seems to be unique to this season. They seem less unified. Do you think there's a divide in the room? Maybe based on the captaincy? It's the only big 'political' type change in the room from last year.

Let's just say that there was a "Vanek for Captain" half of the room and a "Pommers for Captain" half. I think a case could be made for a player like Vanek (and his half of the room) being a bit disappointed that he wasn't named captain but moving forward with a 'team first' attitude to start the season. As evidenced by Vanek’s terrific start. But upon seeing the other leaders like gaustad, stafford not showing up. He starts to coast.. thinking 'hey... it's not my team.. not my responsibility to right the ship'. I know that attitude sucks.. but i've been on teams where this type of thing has happened.

I think it also explains why the Sabres always seemed to name the new guy captain in the past (like Rivet, and the rest of the rotating captain carousel we've had since we lost Peca). It doesn’t ruffle any of the delicate feathers on this team.

I hear what you're saying here but if there's been a political problem I think it stems more from trying to assimilate three new, highly paid players with high expectations into a core that's been together since their days in the AHL. Additionally there's been a constant influx of young, new players called up to fill in. Lots of new personalities coming and going with little time to mesh on or off the ice.

Whatever the reasons, I think your point is valid.

GO SABRES!!!

For me it's kinda like high school. Demerits, detention, suspension = my own warn list, warn status increase, banning. You don't know if the poster has been warned or not.

As far as that goes, I thought the only "defiance" (which I'd characterize more as pushback than testiness or short-temperedness, but it's certainly in the ear of the beholder) was when Howard Simon questioned him on replacing DR/LR. When you first described the exchange, you characterized Simon as a pretty non-confrontational interviewer. While I generally agree with that, I do think on that point, Simon was uncharacteristically pushy. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- there are certainly plenty of fans calling for DR/LR to get canned, and it's Simon's job to get a complete response on that key item from management. I just bring it up because I don't think it's accurate to describe that exchange as Simon lobbing a softball and TB snapping at him.

And with that, I am going to retire from this debate.

For now.

I agree with you here. In fact I was pretty surprised with the tone when he asked the second time. I was like "wow GR is actually making him answer a tough question". Black's attitude: seemed a bit surprised, maybe a bit blindsided. His answer was that of a man in charge "none".

Not even close to a great mix if the top 6 is Myers, Ehrhoff, Leopold, Gragnani, Sekera & Regehr.

I think if the Sabres are to succeed this season, they need new blood in the top 6...Adam, Kassian or acquired via trade.

Pipeline -- Size, talent and grit. Adam and Kassian both look like the real deal; McNabb likely is as well. Tropp and Brennan looked like future contributors, and we haven't even seen Foligno yet. Not to mention Scheistel, Sundher, Catenacci & Pysyk. I'd still like to see some prospect blueline depth traded for some prospect forward depth.

On D, I think the right mix ultimately should include Weber in place of MAG. I also think MAG getting the lion's share of the starts early in the season was partially related to his contract status (ie if he doesn't play in 58 games this year, he becomes a UFA). But once Myers returns to health and to form, I think a top 6 of Myers-Regehr, Leopold-Ehrhoff and Sekera-Weber, with MAG as the #7, is a great mix. Ehrhoff didn't look great vs Philly but IMHO has played very well over the past few weeks. He's not an elite player, but I think he's a horse who will usually play well in every situation. Regehr brings a ton of size, physicality and experience and plays all the tough minutes. Reggie and Weber will have plenty of young-defensemen moments but I think both have top-4 potential.

I completely agree on new blood in the top 6, and I would love to see a trade.

Interesting. It does seem like something is missing in that locker room. I don't picture anyone acting like the conscience of the team in the way that Drury and Grier did.

I'm confused. Why, exactly, can't we use injuries as excuse for losing? Nobody is going to convince me that we are better when Leo and Myers on the ice.

People always shoot down that idea, but now it has me wondering. What is a good excuse for a loss? Is it just so simple that people don't like the word excuse? If that's the case, that's one pointless argument that's based solely on semantics.

People always shoot down that idea, but now it has me wondering. What is a good excuse for a loss? Is it just so simple that people don't like the word excuse? If that's the case, that's one pointless argument that's based solely on semantics.

Excuse seems to hold a negative connotation in so far as it implies a reason is not rationally acceptable. The injuries in the 06 ECFs were a reason we lost. People right now are arguing that injuries are an excuse, as in "not an acceptable reason".

I would argue that injuries are a reason we're struggling, but there are other reasons as well. If players were to say they're losing because of injuries, I would call that an excuse.

I completely agree on new blood in the top 6, and I would love to see a trade.

...but don't you dare suggest a trade or allude to one or say anything involving one because the sabres players are all crap and even though we have players that are producing more than some other players no way will teams trade us them so we can only trade our crap for their crap but they don't have any top 6 crap just us, so we can't trade so dont suggest anything because its all dumb and boring conversation...

Did I miss anything? (Insert stupid comment/retort here)

011110010110111101110101001000000110111101100010011011100110111101111000011010010110111101110101011100110010000001110000011001010111001101110011011010010110110101101001011100110111010001101001011000110010000001100011011101010111001001101101011101010110010001100111011001010110111101101110

Start to season -- not great but miles better than last season, especially in light of turnover on D and significant injuries.

I posted this earlier, but I've changed the separation for illustrative purposes:

2010-11:

Game 1: 1-0-0

Games 2-5: 0-3-1

Games 6-27: 10-10-2

2011-12:

Games 2-5: 3-1-0

The five additional points that they got in 2-5 are the only difference between this year's start and last year's.

...but don't you dare suggest a trade or allude to one or say anything involving one because the sabres players are all crap and even though we have players that are producing more than some other players no way will teams trade us them so we can only trade our crap for their crap but they don't have any top 6 crap just us, so we can't trade so dont suggest anything because its all dumb and boring conversation...

Did I miss anything? (Insert stupid comment/retort here)

Here's what you appear to keep missing: there's nothing wrong with suggesting a trade. Suggesting trading underachieving Sabres for very good players on other teams when those other teams have no reason to trade those players unless they are blown away by an offer is a waste of everyone's time.

For example, Pittsburgh is not going to trade Staal for anyone on the Sabres other than perhaps Myers or Vanek. It is ridiculous, in either an analog or a digital world, to continually suggest otherwise. Even my Commodore 64 knows that.

Does that make sense, Mr. Roboto?

I posted this earlier, but I've changed the separation for illustrative purposes:

2010-11:

Games 2-5: 0-3-1

2011-12:

Games 2-5: 3-1-0

The five additional points that they got in 2-5 are the only difference between this year's start and last year's.

True, but those were 5 big points.

Archived