Leadership

RazielSabre

nfreeman......I am not saying anything about you. You are probably the most thoughtful poster when countering my points on a regular basis. Taro can shred me when he feels up to it, but he's either smart or busy enough to stay out of the mudslinging. I'm not going to fault anyone for not wanting to read my stuff, but I will defend my opinion.

How I got into trouble the last time was because I didn't call out specific posters....sorry to do so again. Just for the record, Korab is a smart guy but tries to Kaleta me into getting hot, Shrader just like complaining about me, and Eleven (sorry bud you've been cool), when he gets the right mix of libations going, has a quick trigger finger, as much as i enjoy his insight a lot of times. All 3 of those guys are solid posters though. If me DeLuca and another random poster tried to instigate like what was done today, I bet I'd be banned in a heartbeat if I had to guess.

The heat is on the Sabres to produce, and the faithful are getting prickly. I just make an easy, outspoken target for them.

For the record I enjoy the back and forth between all posters mentioned above along with chz, blue, X, Aud and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. First place I come to find out how the game went. Wish I had more time to join in but I do enjoy reading through the back and forth when I can.

Here's what you appear to keep missing: there's nothing wrong with suggesting a trade. Suggesting trading underachieving Sabres for very good players on other teams when those other teams have no reason to trade those players unless they are blown away by an offer is a waste of everyone's time.

For example, Pittsburgh is not going to trade Staal for anyone on the Sabres other than perhaps Myers or Vanek. It is ridiculous, in either an analog or a digital world, to continually suggest otherwise. Even my Commodore 64 knows that.

lol yea toss in the millenial thing because that has some freaking baring on me saying Roy is a better center than dubinsky... I am done giving ideas or suggesting anything because after 41 years the fans are jaded and narrow minded and think no matter what their team sucks.

domo araygato mr roboto domo...

For the record I enjoy the back and forth between all posters mentioned above along with chz, blue, X, Aud and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. First place I come to find out how the game went. Wish I had more time to join in but I do enjoy reading through the back and forth when I can.

Thanks, and likewise. You need to post more!

Well, back to LimeySabre's point...

How about that captain last night? If it were Drury, we'd be hearing all about how he leads by action and takes charge in a tight game, so credit where it's due to Pommer.

While he did score the winner, I was very disappointed to see the play he made on the last power play where he is coming in for a pretty clear shot and he tries to feed it to a covered Stafford. I remember at the time thinking that that is not the play a captain makes. This team's biggest problem, in my opinion, is that too many guys want nothing to do with the puck when the game's on the line.

I think this is actually exactly what is happening. No one wants to upset their friend or call anyone out. This team needs that guy in the locker room, who after a horrendous game has the sheer presence and respect of his fellow teammates to kick the media out, shut the door, stand in the middle of the room and say point blank, This is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Then he should march them all down to the weight room and they all can spend the next hour on treadmills while they watch video of the game they just played. During this time there will be absolute silence punishable by an extra 20 minute workout for every time you speak out of turn. When they have that guy, a Stanely Cup will be hoisted at Center Ice of the FNC. Leadership is about doing what is right/necessary over what is easy/fun.

Exactly, when I think of leaders I think of Lidstrom, Hatcher. People who clearly wouldn't take 50% or a lazy player. At least that how it seems to me.

Well, back to LimeySabre's point...

How about that captain last night? If it were Drury, we'd be hearing all about how he leads by action and takes charge in a tight game, so credit where it's due to Pommer.

Yer he played a good game. I think he has the potential to be a great captain, but he just needs to be a little stronger, lots of these guys have grown up together and I would guess sometimes that makes it easy to be 'one of the guys'. He has to elevate his character, taking tips from Miller (he calls the guys out plenty). But as for on ice I agree, great game for him. Infact numbers wise I can't fault him or Vanek.

Exactly, when I think of leaders I think of Lidstrom, Hatcher. People who clearly wouldn't take 50% or a lazy player. At least that how it seems to me.

We need the guy who would bitch slap a cripple if he didn't think they were trying hard enough...

Don't be offended its a joke!

Thanks for the part at the bottom ...

I have an itchie "report" trigger finger today.

Thats why I said that. I don't mean it in a literal offensive way... more of a sarcastic sort of way. We just need a guy who is tough as nails, skilled, and has no problem telling it the way it is... or we can keep this "we made some mistakes and we really got to clean those up because other teams will capitalize on those chances" that schtick is getting old... really fast.

if it does bug you I can delete it.

Thats why I said that. I don't mean it in a literal offensive way... more of a sarcastic sort of way. We just need a guy who is tough as nails, skilled, and has no problem telling it the way it is... or we can keep this "we made some mistakes and we really got to clean those up because other teams will capitalize on those chances" that schtick is getting old... really fast.

if it does bug you I can delete it.

You don't have to delete it ... I know no one in their right mind would ever say something like that and mean it ... well it shouldn't be anyway.

As to the bolded part ...

I think we have such a player and if he wasn't new I think he should be captain ... Regehr.

You don't have to delete it ... I know no one in their right mind would ever say something like that and mean it ... well it shouldn't be anyway.

As to the bolded part ...

I think we have such a player and if he wasn't new I think he should be captain ... Regehr.

Considering my father is partially paralyzed nope, although he would find the humor and sarcasm in the joke

as for Regehr, I think if he was made captain then he might be more of a leader but as it is he does not feel he has the right. We need the guy who doesn't care either way... but they also have to be respected enough to pull it off. Miller seems to yell at people a lot but that doesn't make him a leader. Gerbe would be the closest thing to a guy thats a hard worker, respected, and opinionated enough to be a leader... I think that may be our future captain... Nothing like getting chewed out by a guy shorter than your girlfriend for motivation.

Considering my father is partially paralyzed nope, although he would find the humor and sarcasm in the joke

as for Regehr, I think if he was made captain then he might be more of a leader but as it is he does not feel he has the right. We need the guy who doesn't care either way... but they also have to be respected enough to pull it off. Miller seems to yell at people a lot but that doesn't make him a leader. Gerbe would be the closest thing to a guy thats a hard worker, respected, and opinionated enough to be a leader... I think that may be our future captain... Nothing like getting chewed out by a guy shorter than your girlfriend for motivation.

My former girlfriend and now wife is taller than me ... so I can relate.

I think it's unfair to rip into somebody who has an 'A' or a 'C' because frankly, we are not there when the doors are shut. There are different types of leaders who either lead by example, provide a voice in the locker room, mentor rookies or encourage teammates when times are rough. Can we tell who was chosen for these roles? Sometimes.

For example, Vanek was definitely chosen because he leads by example. He is the best player on the team and he shows his consistency throughout the season. On the other hand, we can only speculate why the rest of the captains were given their designations. To criticize Stafford or Pommers for not "leading" the team through this rough time is unfair because we have no idea what goes one in that locker room.

Perhaps the players have tuned Lindy out because they don't believe they'll be able to win under his coaching. If your employer told you that if you followed their strategy you'd get to number 1 in your industry by the end of the year, fourteen years, and you only got close once would you still be fully on board? Of course, this doesn't account for the fact that you're talking about a group of players who have played under a "rotating captaincy" in the past. I can honestly say I've never heard of a team, at any level, doing that. Maybe this team is filled with a bunch of "cotton-headed ninny-muggins'"1 and when Ruff finally took the training wheels off we've seen them fall flat on their face. Either way, you'd think that one day these guys would wake up and realize that they're screwing their prime hockey playing years away under a constant refrain of "effort," "systems," and "accountability."

1-Buddy the Elf from the movie Elf

Perhaps the players have tuned Lindy out because they don't believe they'll be able to win under his coaching. If your employer told you that if you followed their strategy you'd get to number 1 in your industry by the end of the year, fourteen years, and you only got close once would you still be fully on board? Of course, this doesn't account for the fact that you're talking about a group of players who have played under a "rotating captaincy" in the past. I can honestly say I've never heard of a team, at any level, doing that. Maybe this team is filled with a bunch of "cotton-headed ninny-muggins'"1 and when Ruff finally took the training wheels off we've seen them fall flat on their face. Either way, you'd think that one day these guys would wake up and realize that they're screwing their prime hockey playing years away under a constant refrain of "effort," "systems," and "accountability."

1-Buddy the Elf from the movie Elf

People have been saying this for years. When I hear it from a player I'll believe it.

Archived