Leadership

RazielSabre

I just finished reading the article on WGR (linked on front page) about leadership and accountability. Interesting read, it put in words a huge amount of my worry with this team. I've also got no doubt about how Pom has improved his play and leads by example as captain. My problem is that I'm not sure he is holding everyone accountable, infact I get the impression that only Enroth and Miller do. Regehr might given time but no FW or D seem to hold eachother accountable. It's all up to Ruff.

Whats everyone else's take on this? If you disagree tell me so or if you agree let's put the world to rights.

PS: While it looks like Blogger and the new Gmail I do generally like the new look (been away for a while, just seen it properly).

I think you are absolutely right there is no accountability.

The problem is not only with the Sabres though, it is an issue with most teams ... a noteable exception are the Bruins and look where they ended up last year.

The players these days earn big money on guaranteed contracts. So, there is very little motivation to be accountable. Every year one team gets it and will win the cup.

Back in the day the players played hockey for the love of the game and usually had to have off-season regular jobs to pay the bills. That leads to accountability.

As for players who can pick up a team and take them to the glory of a Stanley Cup ... they are very rare. A Messier or Yzerman do not come along very often.

In my opinion the Sabres, like most teams, do not have that type of player. Regehr is a good player with some of those traits, but he is no Messier (IMHO).

Let me save you the trouble.

Any reason you posted that rant? Thats a blog, not a reply to a thread. I'm talking about leadership on the Sabres ASIDE from our current poor form. There are a million things wrong currently. While I completely agree the team could do with realising no-one is immune thats irrelevant to the point at hand.

EDIT: Didn't mean to bitch but I don't want this thread highjacked and turned into 'whats wrong with us NOW is....' or 'the reason we suck is.....' Like most threads seem to be now.

Any reason you posted that rant? Thats a blog, not a reply to a thread. I'm talking about leadership on the Sabres ASIDE from our current poor form. There are a million things wrong currently. While I completely agree the team could do with realising no-one is immune thats irrelevant to the point at hand.

EDIT: Didn't mean to bitch but I don't want this thread highjacked and turned into 'whats wrong with us NOW is....' or 'the reason we suck is.....' Like most threads seem to be now.

Just preempting the inevitable hijack.

If a thread hasn't been hijacked, chances are no one is paying attention to. :rolleyes:

So I'm right that this entire board has become a bitching post for what is wrong with the Sabres today? Why we're not doing so well atm? Of note, that is exactly why I stopped posting here. I remember when you could discuss players and ideas without having it highjacked with this 'team stormcloud' or 'team whatever' ######.

No offense but some of the vets here seem to be the main offenders. Might be my already bad mood so sorry if it seems that way.

So I'm right that this entire board has become a bitching post for what is wrong with the Sabres today? Why we're not doing so well atm? Of note, that is exactly why I stopped posting here. I remember when you could discuss players and ideas without having it highjacked with this 'team stormcloud' or 'team whatever' ######.

No offense but some of the vets here seem to be the main offenders. Might be my already bad mood so sorry if it seems that way.

You've nailed one thing here for sure. This board is completely unreadable.

I just finished reading the article on WGR (linked on front page) about leadership and accountability. Interesting read, it put in words a huge amount of my worry with this team. I've also got no doubt about how Pom has improved his play and leads by example as captain. My problem is that I'm not sure he is holding everyone accountable, infact I get the impression that only Enroth and Miller do. Regehr might given time but no FW or D seem to hold eachother accountable. It's all up to Ruff.

Whats everyone else's take on this? If you disagree tell me so or if you agree let's put the world to rights.

PS: While it looks like Blogger and the new Gmail I do generally like the new look (been away for a while, just seen it properly).

I think this is actually exactly what is happening. No one wants to upset their friend or call anyone out. This team needs that guy in the locker room, who after a horrendous game has the sheer presence and respect of his fellow teammates to kick the media out, shut the door, stand in the middle of the room and say point blank, This is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Then he should march them all down to the weight room and they all can spend the next hour on treadmills while they watch video of the game they just played. During this time there will be absolute silence punishable by an extra 20 minute workout for every time you speak out of turn. When they have that guy, a Stanely Cup will be hoisted at Center Ice of the FNC. Leadership is about doing what is right/necessary over what is easy/fun.

dead on sir.

Then why doesn't someone here show some "leadership" and tell us what is so great about the current Sabres and their situation? All I seem to see is "have patience" and "we have lots of boo-boos". If you can bring facts to the table as to great coaching moves, proactive GM moves that have a positive outcome this year, or stellar play from any of the veteran players and money-makers...I am more than willing to listen.

The biggest positive I have seen is more energy, physical play, and guys sticking up for each other. Unfortunately it has come from Kassian, McNabb, Tropp, Finley, Ellis, and Szczchura......all guys who were not on the opening day roster and who other than Ellis, have played a total of 20 games under Lindy Ruff.

Please....elaborate on the current positives.....

Then why doesn't someone here show some "leadership" and tell us what is so great about the current Sabres and their situation? All I seem to see is "have patience" and "we have lots of boo-boos". If you can bring facts to the table as to great coaching moves, proactive GM moves that have a positive outcome this year, or stellar play from any of the veteran players and money-makers...I am more than willing to listen.

The biggest positive I have seen is more energy, physical play, and guys sticking up for each other. Unfortunately it has come from Kassian, McNabb, Tropp, Finley, Ellis, and Szczchura......all guys who were not on the opening day roster and who other than Ellis, have played a total of 20 games under Lindy Ruff.

The silence is deafening!!

While the team continues to "hold it's own", and will do so with the existing lineup, I still feel the team needs a major make-over to ever really succeed. The additions in the summer were all and good, but the core remains the same, so the team, in essence, also remains the same. I truly can't wait for the day when Kassien, McNabb, Foligno, Finley, Boychuk, Tropp as well as any other big player are in the lineup every day. We've kinda heard the same excuses as well now for many years after a loss, and while I've always been a Darcy and Lindy supporter, maybe it is time the team went in a new direction. The core players are the same every year, and so we should not be surprised when nothing changes from year to year. We only need to look at Philly to see that a team can make major changes and change the identity of the team quite successfully. With all the bigger players we have coming, we may one day play and look more like the Bruins, who I admire and respect. Til then...

Why should we? You'll just turn it around into some paranoid rant with a cherry on top.

Why should we? You'll just turn it around into some paranoid rant with a cherry on top.

Exactly. Who wants to converse with someone who is only interested in saying as much nonsense as possible?

GoDD, you've stopped talking to people. Now you're just talking at them.

So you are saying that one poster with a critical eye who is willing to give thought out and thorough analysis of the Sabres and who is not afraid to ask questions of those in authority is enough to shut up an entire "majority" of fans who feel the sky is the limit and are happy with the current situation and find conditions ideal if not acceptable?

You should be on the Sabres payroll, because that is a fine excuse after another defeat.

Sort of like that?............. :angel:

This generation of players simply isn't wired for accountability. For the first time in the 10,000 year history of hockey, the players' brains have evolved in ways that we simply cannot comprehend. Lindy just can't impress them in a digital way. He's still trying to find what buttons to push when they only respond to touchscreens.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived