GDT: Sabres vs. Capitals 11/26/11 - 7 PM

NowDoYouBelieve

This team plays a lot better with Hecht in the lineup. Yeah, we're all annoyed that he's a pricey player and he underperforms sometimes, but he was clearly missed in the playoffs the last 2 years.

Great point. I could not agree more. Specifically, the Boston series, you could see they suffered without Hecht. The Sabres had a top 5 PK unit and could not stop a single PP in the playoffs with Hecht out of the lineup. Also, last year with all of those young defenseman in the playoffs, having someone like Hecht who is a calming presence from the forward position and very strong defensively was needed and he even played a decent Game 7, but his legs were not under him.

He's played very well since coming back, and I've always liked him. He's just overpaid, but so are a lot of players on Buffalo, but I think at $2.5 million, nobody would be complaining about Hecht on this team.

The Caps looked like a team waiting for the new coach.

The Sabres as a team average 18 hits a game. Tonight Kassian and McNabb account for 11 hits.

It is amazing how the addition of some physical play can change the dynamic of a team. I hope to see more of the young kids.

Congrats to Paul Szczechura 2 Assists and a +2 is a nice debut. A play as simple as finishing his check sets up the first Adam goal. It was a simple play yet the best play of the night.

He bounced back alright tonight! He might not be Miller but we're a better team that we have him. The two of them make a good tandem.

I believe Enroth has been pulled twice and both times he came right back and played well. Didn't he have a shutout after being pulled the first time.

Game thoughts(I didn't see the entire game as I was at a family function)...

- Missing all the regulars, yet they still blow out the Caps. Good for the Sabres, but WTF is wrong with the Caps?

- As frustrated as I get with Adam, the kid definitely has talent when it comes to putting the puck in the net. There will be ups and downs with him over the next couple of years, but he seems to have what it takes to be a scorer at the NHL level.

- Glad to see Hecht score. As I was saying while he was hurt, he will make this a better team when healthy.

- Big win to kickoff a stretch where they play 8 of there next 9 at home!

GO SABRES!!!

I agree. Playing in the bigs is only going to help him develop at a faster pace. As long as Lindy doesn't only play him 6 minutes a game. Give him 1st and 2nd line duty and he will be all the better for it. I would rather see the young guys go through the odd growing pains than see listless veterans struggle to stay motivated.

Kassian that is.Rick this post was in response to yours #220.

I just laugh at how when I said he should've been up for the Boston game, posters were taking shots at me for suggesting it. Saying it would ruin the big guy. Please. This team need big guys and he's one of them. He may not be fully ready but to say he'd be damaged?? Please

So freakin glad that they bounced back after that horrific showing last night. I hope Hecht can stay healthy because he had some good chances against Boston the other night too. There is zero doubt that this team plays better with physical play. The future is now for the kids and a trade has got to be made with some pieces that have gathered rust over the years...

Just four things:

1. If you can't tell from this game the difference between (1) a team that buys what its coach is selling from (2) a team that wants its coach gone, there's something wrong.

2. Leino was everywhere, but probably not on TV. He laid out Hamrlik after the latter was harassing a Sabre (I don't remember who) near (but not in) the corner, and Hamrlik's inability to get back to the net was what caused Adam's first goal. Several other instances, Leino was on, around, on top of, you pick the preposition, the Craps. I don't often give him credit, but I specifically watched him tonight (I like to follow one player during a live game) and he was great. I hope he keeps it up. I haven't seen a lot before tonight, but tonight, I did see that he can be a very welcome addition if he wants to be one.

3. The refs sucked. For some reason, it's wrong to say it when the Sabs lose, so I'll say it after a big win: the refs sucked and the ice was tilted towards DC. Some of the missed calls were brutal, and I still say that Ehrhoff got puck before body on that BS penalty shot. Maybe I'll be convinced by some super-slo-mo YouTube vid, but right now, no.

4. If you were at the game and heard the "Hey Semin, you're supposed to be a swimmer, not a diver," comment, well, I was very proud of it.

The Sabres as a team average 18 hits a game. Tonight Kassian and McNabb account for 11 hits.

It is amazing how the addition of some physical play can change the dynamic of a team. I hope to see more of the young kids.

Congrats to Paul Szczechura 2 Assists and a +2 is a nice debut. A play as simple as finishing his check sets up the first Adam goal. It was a simple play yet the best play of the night.

Great post!

I especially appreciate the bolded point - FINISH YOUR CHECKS. Holy moly, it's such a simple thing, but the effete vets can't muss up their hair or something.

I love that Kassian is already missing a tooth, what does he care about a few more? ;)

Just four things:

1. If you can't tell from this game the difference between (1) a team that buys what its coach is selling from (2) a team that wants its coach gone, there's something wrong.

2. Leino was everywhere, but probably not on TV. He laid out Hamrlik after the latter was harassing a Sabre (I don't remember who) near (but not in) the corner, and Hamrlik's inability to get back to the net was what caused Adam's first goal. Several other instances, Leino was on, around, on top of, you pick the preposition, the Craps. I don't often give him credit, but I specifically watched him tonight (I like to follow one player during a live game) and he was great. I hope he keeps it up. I haven't seen a lot before tonight, but tonight, I did see that he can be a very welcome addition if he wants to be one.

3. The refs sucked. For some reason, it's wrong to say it when the Sabs lose, so I'll say it after a big win: the refs sucked and the ice was tilted towards DC. Some of the missed calls were brutal, and I still say that Ehrhoff got puck before body on that BS penalty shot. Maybe I'll be convinced by some super-slo-mo YouTube vid, but right now, no.

4. If you were at the game and heard the "Hey Semin, you're supposed to be a swimmer, not a diver," comment, well, I was very proud of it.

As per point #3. The best part was Lindy Ruff smiling after the Kassian high sticking penalty. His "are you kidding me" face was priceless.

Great point. I could not agree more. Specifically, the Boston series, you could see they suffered without Hecht. The Sabres had a top 5 PK unit and could not stop a single PP in the playoffs with Hecht out of the lineup. Also, last year with all of those young defenseman in the playoffs, having someone like Hecht who is a calming presence from the forward position and very strong defensively was needed and he even played a decent Game 7, but his legs were not under him.

He's played very well since coming back, and I've always liked him. He's just overpaid, but so are a lot of players on Buffalo, but I think at $2.5 million, nobody would be complaining about Hecht on this team.

My number is $2MM, but I agree with your point. Hecht was missed against both Boston and Philly in the playoffs the last 2 years.

Seriously, they make the Sabres of the past few weeks look like self-motivated overachievers.

Agree 100% about the Caps. Holy mackerel. I can't remember the last time I saw a team that has so thoroughly quit on its coach. I would be furious if I were a Caps fan.

Also: nice job on the Semin comment, 11.

My 2 cents on the game:

1. Great to see the kids do well, and Enroth bounce back well, but I can't take too much satisfaction in this game. The Caps completely mailed it in. They looked worse than the Sabres did vs. Columbus (and that was pretty bad). I need to see the Sabres deliver a good, smart, determined performance against another playoff team that is playing hard and well before I start getting giddy.

2. MSG showed a replay at one point of the play that they thought Regehr got hurt on. If they are right, it's probably a concussion, so get used to Brennan-McNabb as your 3rd pairing. (Although I thought both of them looked pretty good today).

3. I think that was MAG's best game of the year. Also thought it was interesting that Ehrhoff had 27+ minutes and MAG had 24+, but Sekera, in a game in which the Sabres played 2 AHL callups on D, only had 17.

4. Boudreau's days are numbered.

5. Until I saw the post-game mention of Stafford having a lower body injury, I thought Lindy had healthy-scratched him as a message to the team in response to the Columbus game.

6. As I said, I'm not really impressed with the win since the Caps are in disarray, but I'll take the 2 points. If they can take care of business vs. the Islanders, then they'll be 14-9-1, which wouldn't be too bad considering the injuries and the frequently lousy play. It beats the heck out of having to dig out of the abyss like they did last year.

Harry Neal needs to retire...did he watch the game yesterday?

Nice play by Kassian though.

and If Erhoff wants to yell at someone it should be Gragnani. He was asleep at the Blue line and made a lousy effort.

After 23 games now...

It's still EHRHOFF.

It hasn't changed.

Nah, it was pretty clear on the replay that he got the skate just before hitting the puck.

So is it a crystal-clear official NHL rule that on a play like that, if he gets the puck first, then there is no penalty even if he gets the skate a split second later and takes the man down? I thought it was official, but then I thought I saw a couple of plays this year in which the defender got the puck first and a penalty was called anyway -- but not positive on that either.

Just four things:

1. Yes, there was an obvious contrast. However, there are nights, like last night, where the team with the blank stares is the Sabres, and they look lost on the ice. And then there are post game interviews, where Lindy and the players both say "we have to stick to the system..." So, I think the conclusion you can draw (from this) is that there is a significant faction on the Sabres roster not buying into the system. And if that is true, and the system is successful when properly played, then the Sabres need to move some pieces ASAP.

And in the Caps case, it seems to me a lot of people are looking at Boudreau as the problem.

Maybe the NHL has reached a point where the salaries are so high that it breeds complacency, and the coaches, no matter what, simply can't get through to these players. Just the beginnings of a theory, I guess...

2. I have noted before after being to a game that Boyes and Leino are under-rated around here. Boyes lately has received more respect, but a lot of people still seem to not understand what Leino is doing. If he keeps it up, he may "break through" yet and be a worthwhile addition.

3. Lindy's smile on the bench was right after the third obvious penalty (against the Sabres) was ignored by refs.

4. Good for you.

Boy it's too bad Kassian's development is getting damaged by playing in the bigs.

I haven't read the earlier posts but I'm pretty sure they weren't saying how he's suffering by playing.

He would have brough it against Boston too and most likely loved battling with the guy he tries to play like.

As for Ehroff he likes more ice and nice to see him step up.

EHRHOFF.

Just four things:

2 -- cool, thanks for the insight. I've felt that everyone's been riding him way too hard around here.

3 -- The Caps announcers agreed with your analysis multiple times. :lol: As much as people hate on Beninati and whoever the heck he announces with, they were very knowledgeable and good about providing great insight on what's going on with the Sabres. You rarely get as good an out-of-town report.

Good post.

The callups stuck to the basics, kept it simple, used the fundamentals, and it was effective.

Archived