Buffalo vs. Boston (11/23/2011), 7:00pm

Corp000085

I honestly believe that our current injury situation has effected our game plan for this particular game. A LOT of the muscle on this team is gone and I can't see Hecht coming in and being a huge physical force.

With that said, I expect that the message from ruff was one that didn't include the involvement of cheap shots or goalie running, but a message of playing a full 60 minutes of physical smart hockey. Don't get me wrong, id love to see kaleta or whoever crosscheck the teeth outta lucics' mouth, but this isn't 1975 and that'd just not going to happen.

We are a speed/finesse team, that's been our way for a decade now, we have an advantage over bigger slower teams when we play smart sound hockey. Boston is a tough out, they are playing great right now, but I think we win tonight in a rather boring fashion. Im sure at some point this season, in one way or another, we will get some retribution at Boston, but in our situation tonight, we just need to do it on the scoreboard.

P.s. freaking stick up for each other, if something dirty does go down!!!!

As with most over-hyped games of this type, Boston will try not to do anything to rouse the crowd, the Sabres will try to take the high road and just play hockey. The Sabres won't be able to get out of their zone all night and Enroth will have to make 45 saves just to keep it close. In the last few minutes of the game, Lucic will taunt the Buffalo bench and somebody with more heart than brains (Kaleta or maybe even Gerbe) will try something on Lucic and look foolish doing it. The end result will be a boring, one-goal game that the Bruins will win. Sorry, just trying to be realistic.

Here's what i hope...the Bruins start Lucic and the Sabres start Gaustad...and they drop the gloves at 19:59 of the 1st period. Get it out of the way early. You just KNOW the refs will call every little ticky-tac thing the Sabres do tonight b/c it's all a "revenge plot" against Boston. I don't want to see Boston end up with 10 power plays to our 3. It's just a guaranteed loss if the Sabres are trying to exact revenge all night or even try to play a ridiculously physical game. It will get called and we will lose. Fight early, get it our of the way...then win the game clean.

Most of the posts here reflect the same as the team, SOFT!(all we need to do is win tonight) BS! That won't win you a damn thing come playoff time. This team needs to finally stand up and push back, if they don't they are going nowhere fast. Pushing the bully back will take this team farther than if they just go out and try and win the game tonight!

It's a bully kinda game in a bully kinda league, if you become one of the bullied, sorry your going to win come playoff time. Plain and simple either push back or keep giving them your lunch money.

Most of the posts here reflect the same as the team, SOFT!(all we need to do is win tonight) BS! That won't win you a damn thing come playoff time. This team needs to finally stand up and push back, if they don't they are going nowhere fast. Pushing the bully back will take this team farther than if they just go out and try and win the game tonight!

It's a bully kinda game in a bully kinda league, if you become one of the bullied, sorry your going to win come playoff time. Plain and simple either push back or keep giving them your lunch money.

The point most are trying to make is that we don't need to go out of our way to push back for several reasons:

1) we don't have the brute strength that Boston does. We have maybe 2 capable, "heavy weights" compared to Boston's team...

2) if we come out and make this a grudge match, the discipline office is going to be on the team like white on rice. it's unnecessary this time of the season, especially with the injuries piling up.

We can't go blow for blow with Boston. Instead we need to stick to our guns, not get rattled, and just win this game.

You're missing one important detail with that argument. It's November. If a win here doesn't mean a thing come playoff time, why is it that playing one single tough game would? The way this game is played will have absolutely nothing to do with how a single playoff game is played.

You're missing one important detail with that argument. It's November. If a win here doesn't mean a thing come playoff time, why is it that playing one single tough game would? The way this game is played will have absolutely nothing to do with how a single playoff game is played.

+1 well put sir.

I understand why everyone is looking for some form of "We shall not be moved" physical play from the Sabres, but realistically I dont see that happening. After their performance against Phoenix I see them focusing on their offense more than "saving face".

Exactly how tough is Boston? Aren't they just a bunch of pseudo tough guys emboldened by the presence of Chara and Lucic? Where were they when Savard was sent to lala land? Where were they when Horton was sent to join him? Is there a softer power forward then Nathan Horton anyway?

Stand up to Lucic, make Kreci or Bergeron pay and win the damn game.

post-1415-035482700 1322074455_thumb.jpg

His twitter account is on the side there. If anyone's interested.

Wow don't tweet myself so I can't confirm but if that is a real boston fans creation this notion of soft goes way beyond some Sabres fans impressions of this team.

However if I fell for it I don't mind the thought of having been spndnchzed. ;) and with that thought figure out how to tweet myself.

Exactly how tough is Boston? Aren't they just a bunch of pseudo tough guys emboldened by the presence of Chara and Lucic? Where were they when Savard was sent to lala land? Where were they when Horton was sent to join him? Is there a softer power forward then Nathan Horton anyway?

Stand up to Lucic, make Kreci or Bergeron pay and win the damn game.

Thornton

Boychuk

McQuaid

Marchand

Campbell

etc...

...or maybe they just appear to be tough compared to the Sabres. :(

While a win would be nice, I don't consider this a must-win by any stretch. What I do want/need to see is a strong and consistent effort from each player each shift for the entire game. Finish checks, stay in control, score goals when the opportunity presents and clean up play in their own zone. Will be interesting to see how Brennan reacts to the B's forecheck.

Thornton

Boychuk

McQuaid

Marchand

Campbell

etc...

...or maybe they just appear to be tough compared to the Sabres. :(

The Sabres were built to be a speed team with their D joining the rush. I could live with their lack of toughness if they looked like the faster of the teams and had their D engaged most nights. Unfortunately, they rarely have.

If nothing happens will the crowd start booing at some point?

Only if the team is losing badly or if there's another incident where a Sabre is run and nothing is done about it.

How did this game not get picked up nationally???

Does VS do Wednesday games? I thought it was just Monday and Tuesday, but I could be wrong.

I want this game to be about Vanek and Pommers not Gaustad and Kaleta.

Same here.

I honestly believe that our current injury situation has effected our game plan for this particular game. A LOT of the muscle on this team is gone and I can't see Hecht coming in and being a huge physical force.

With that said, I expect that the message from ruff was one that didn't include the involvement of cheap shots or goalie running, but a message of playing a full 60 minutes of physical smart hockey. Don't get me wrong, id love to see kaleta or whoever crosscheck the teeth outta lucics' mouth, but this isn't 1975 and that'd just not going to happen.

We are a speed/finesse team, that's been our way for a decade now, we have an advantage over bigger slower teams when we play smart sound hockey. Boston is a tough out, they are playing great right now, but I think we win tonight in a rather boring fashion. Im sure at some point this season, in one way or another, we will get some retribution at Boston, but in our situation tonight, we just need to do it on the scoreboard.

P.s. freaking stick up for each other, if something dirty does go down!!!!

Good post.

I can see Tropp putting a few big hits out tonight.

Archived