Injury Report: Myers, Ehrhoff and Hecht

spndnchz

Attached a chart of the injuries over the course of the season. I only include missed-time injuries to the players I've deemed as the Starters (see below) I've also included the number of AHL players in the lineup on any given night. I've defined AHL player as any player who has played for the Amerks this season.

Defense Starters (5): Leopold, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Sekera, Myers

Forward Starters (11): Pommer, Stafford, Roy, Vanek, Leino, Boyes, Kaleta, Gerbe, Goose/Hodgson, Ennis, Hecht

I don't account for injuries to the 6th/7th defensemen or the 12th/13th forwards.

This is a view of the roster only, with no information on how each player played. In or Out is it.

Defensive Health:

Green = 5 healthy Starters

Yellow = 4 healthy Starters

Red = 3 or fewer healthy Starters

AHL Defensmen:

Green = 0, Yellow = 1, Red = 2 or more

Forward Health:

Green = 0-1 starters out

Yellow = 2 starters out

Red = 3 or more starters out

AHL Forwards:

Green = 0-1, Yellow = 2, Red = 3 or more

For convenience, I've highlighted what has been mostly agreed upon as "The Dark Times"

I've gotta say. That's rather impressive.

average number of starters during the dark times: 11.8 of 16

average number of starters during the good times: 14.0 of 16

Worst Day: December 20th loss to Ottawa, the Sabres played with 9 of their 15 Skating Starters

Average number of AHLers in the lineup during the dark times: 3.4

Average number of AHLers in the lineup during the good times: 1.5

The narrative for the Dark Times goes like this:

Miller gets killed by Lucic (Yeah, no one stands up for him, but no matter how many slashing majors are taken to Looch's face, miller still gets concussed)

Miller misses 9 Games

Miller comes back and the forwards are in the red (at least 3 starters out) for 12 games

The forwards heal and the Defense is in the Red (2-3 of the top 5 out) for 12 more games

33 games and they never have Miller, 4 of the top 5 Blueliners, and at least 9 of the top 11 forwards in the lineup.

Attached a chart of the injuries over the course of the season. I only include missed-time injuries to the players I've deemed as the Starters (see below) I've also included the number of AHL players in the lineup on any given night. I've defined AHL player as any player who has played for the Amerks this season.

Forward Starters (11): Pommer, Stafford, Roy, Vanek, Leino, Boyes, Kaleta, Gerbe, Goose/Hodgson, Ennis, Hecht

I don't account for injuries to the 6th/7th defensemen or the 12th/13th forwards.

This is a view of the roster only, with no information on how each player played. In or Out is it.

Defensive Health:

AHL Defensmen:

Forward Health:

Green = 0-1 starters out

Yellow = 2 starters out

AHL Forwards:

For convenience, I've highlighted what has been mostly agreed upon as "The Dark Times"

Nice job. You should put a big circle around Ennis when he was out too.

But was there a second shooter in the bushes?

Nice job. You should put a big circle around Ennis when he was out too.

But was there a second shooter in the bushes?

All I'm asking for is my goalie, 4 of my top 5 defensmen, and 9 of my top 11 forwards. Is that too much to ask? I'm allowing for injuries, I just don't think the Half-merks match up well against anyone in the NHL...well...maybe Edmonton...

Looks like myers is out for weeks, crap!

This is terrible, but perhaps something good will come of it. If they are out, the team will be able to use the pressure of the next 2 games to perhaps strengthen their depth position. It's not Weber and McNabb that need to step up, it's Sekera and Sulzer that need to step up and Frank Reich these guys into the playoffs. If they can do that, we might be good enough to weather an injury or 2 in the playoffs.

Good things can come from injuries. If Hecht plays the second half of this season, Ennis is probably still on wing. Hopefully theres one last bit of magic left in the roster.

Defensive Health:

AHL Defensmen:

Forward Health:

Green = 0-1 starters out

Yellow = 2 starters out

AHL Forwards:

You're gonna get carp all wound up. Nice chart.

The whole time I was building it, I was hoping that this would be the thing that would make him notice me... :wub:

Unfortunately, the team right now looks a lot more like the team during the Dark Times, than the team "Darcy Thought he Built"

Defensive Health:

AHL Defensmen:

Forward Health:

Green = 0-1 starters out

Yellow = 2 starters out

AHL Forwards:

Very nicely done. I might quibble with your inclusiveness in code red and code yellow status (i.e. arguably the key players to focus on could be a smaller set -- Myers, Ehrhoff and Regehr on D, Miller in net and Vanek, Ennis and Pommer on O), but you've certainly provided a ton of info in a well-designed format. Thanks.

Separately, that is terrible news about Myers.

This is a big moment for Sekera.

Very nicely done. I might quibble with your inclusiveness in code red and code yellow status (i.e. arguably the key players to focus on could be a smaller set -- Myers, Ehrhoff and Regehr on D, Miller in net and Vanek, Ennis and Pommer on O), but you've certainly provided a ton of info in a well-designed format. Thanks.

Separately, that is terrible news about Myers.

This is a big moment for Sekera.

Looking at all the data, including last night, there have actually only been 4 games where the Sabres were without both Myers and Ehrhoff this season. Their record in those 4 games is 2-1-1. I'm hoping Lindy's quote from today's skate is more than wishful thinking:

"We went through that game, we went through the first period, went through the chances, and emphasized the importance of staying inside some of the mistakes we made. Some of it was lack of communication. Some of it was the coverage. But we do have to tighten up, there’s no secret," Ruff explained. "That’s on myself and my staff to make sure that we tighten up those areas so it’s not a game where you give 16 or 17 (chances). We’ve got to get it back to the norm, which is somewhere around 10 or 11, in that area. And not give up the high quality.

"We worked hard on that this morning, went through that with the players. We understand that we know how to play, and we know how to play in our own end. It should be an easier fix. Some of it is adapting to the players we have in. Some of it is just system related."

The whole time I was building it, I was hoping that this would be the thing that would make him notice me... :wub:

Unfortunately, the team right now looks a lot more like the team during the Dark Times, than the team "Darcy Thought he Built"

Carp likes 'em a bit meatier, sorry.

:thumbsup:

:flirt:

Carp likes 'em a bit meatier, sorry.

:sick:

Don't have the time at the moment or I'd do it myself: I'd like to see how many of our injuries (and maybe their lengths) were caused during games that were on the back end of back-to-backs.

As a player, you lose mental and physical sharpness when you're exhausted. I'm wondering if there's a correlation (and maybe causation) between back--to-backs and injury at the pro level.

Now that the season is over, will Ruff come out and give us more details on these injuries?

Obviously it appears Myers foot is broken. Does he require surgery or will it heal on it's own?

What about Ehrhoff? How bad is his knee? We've got him for another 9 season, I want to hear some updates on how serious the injury is.

Now that the season is over, will Ruff come out and give us more details on these injuries?

i found it interesting that vanek was still mum on his injuries, even with the season over. he was clearly playing hurt over the last ~25+ games, and, at times, i think he was pretty badly hurt.

in response to vanek's conspicuous silence on the subject, hoppe extolled him for not making excuses.

but i think that there's a hockey motivation for not disclosing his injuries: he doesn't want other teams in the league to know where his sore spots are for next year; the areas where he is perhaps most susceptible to breaking down.

Myers saying he did in fact break his foot.

where is GoDD with his theory on myer's gigantor hormone disorder? (or whatever it was called.)

i found it interesting that vanek was still mum on his injuries, even with the season over. he was clearly playing hurt over the last ~25+ games, and, at times, i think he was pretty badly hurt.

in response to vanek's conspicuous silence on the subject, hoppe extolled him for not making excuses.

but i think that there's a hockey motivation for not disclosing his injuries: he doesn't want other teams in the league to know where his sore spots are for next year; the areas where he is perhaps most susceptible to breaking down.

When it's not something so blatantly obvious like Ehrhoff's knee or Myers' foot, I'm not so sure the player has anything to gain by disclosing his injury. Most of the time it would probably turn into the "that's it, I've had 3 of those" type reactions from fans. Your scenario is also very likely.

Could be he doesn't want the organ-eye-zation to know he's hurt. He really wants to play in the Division1 championships in Europe. I doubt the Sabres let him go if he should be healing up.

Archived