Injury Report: Myers, Ehrhoff and Hecht

spndnchz

Yeah but why rush..... Brayden McNabb has played 20 games in Buffalo this season scoring a goal and four assists. In Rochester he has 36 games in scoring four goals and 21 assists with a +15 rating. Sure, Ruff would like to have Myers, but he’s happy that he knows he can count on the rookie, “We know what he can do, he played well for us and we know he can defend so it’s something we’re comfortable with.”

Andrej Sekera was back on the ice after getting hit by pneumonia. Ruff said, “We’re hoping by the weekend. He couldn’t do a normal workout yesterday, he’s down some weight so we’re just trying to get him back to get some fitness back into him, try to get his weight back to where it needs to be and in the next couple of days, push him ahead to where we can hopefully get him back by Saturday.”

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about this team. Lindy says the above about McNabb but would put Sekera back in that fast ? Was Sekera really missed during these last games that we need to take someone coming off pneumonia with the strength/weight loss and rush him back out there. I haven't missed Sekera at all. Can the guy really be ready after a few days back on the ice and why more importantly when we already have players playing well together. Short of Tylers suspension I thought the the pairings and 6 we were playing have played some of the best defensive hockey of the season. Let McNabb play a little here(3 games) keeping Tylers spot warm to see where he's at, at least he has been playing hockey.

Sekera playing Saturday is crazy talk to me. And honestly if Mcnabb plays well and with Tyler coming back Sekera should still be the one sitting till he is 100% conditioned and/or someone else goes down. JMO

There is the small matter of Colorado's second goal tonight...

Or stop blocking shots with the inside of his hand.

Hats off to him. Trying to shag a 95 mph slap shot with what is basically your bare hand take serious guts. He needs to get Jay McKee to design him a fancy shmancy plastic hockey glove protection device.

Hats off to him. Trying to shag a 95 mph slap shot with what is basically your bare hand take serious guts. He needs to get Jay McKee to design him a fancy shmancy plastic hockey glove protection device.

I wouldn't really call it guts. It's more instinct than anything. If you reach out to grab something, you do that with the palm of your hand. I don't want to compare this to what the pros face, but I'm stupid and I've blocked a bunch of slap shots with the palm of my hand. There was zero thought to it, I just reached out.

I wouldn't really call it guts. It's more instinct than anything. If you reach out to grab something, you do that with the palm of your hand. I don't want to compare this to what the pros face, but I'm stupid and I've blocked a bunch of slap shots with the palm of my hand. There was zero thought to it, I just reached out.

The guts is having the will to stick your hand out and actually knock that puck away when its already been broken 4 times instead of pretending to stick your hand out but making sure you don't get hit.

Seriosuly, PK guys should have gloves with padded palms for those PK shifts. A quarter inch of high density foam would go a long ways but still allow them to grab a stick and ice the puck.

The guts is having the will to stick your hand out and actually knock that puck away when its already been broken 4 times instead of pretending to stick your hand out but making sure you don't get hit.

Seriosuly, PK guys should have gloves with padded palms for those PK shifts. A quarter inch of high density foam would go a long ways but still allow them to grab a stick and ice the puck.

I think, with most of Kaleta's game, it's not guts or will, but a lack of survival instinct. I will be happy to ride this for as long as his poor body will hold up.

I think, with most of Kaleta's game, it's not guts or will, but a lack of survival instinct. I will be happy to ride this for as long as his poor body will hold up.

So that's a nice way of calling it stupidity, correct?

Korab, they would never go for anything like that with their gloves. They may be able to roughly play the puck, but the loss of control would be drastic. Just imagine going for that high clear but screwing up and throwing it right onto the pointman's tape.

So that's a nice way of calling it stupidity, correct?

Korab, they would never go for anything like that with their gloves. They may be able to roughly play the puck, but the loss of control would be drastic. Just imagine going for that high clear but screwing up and throwing it right onto the pointman's tape.

I know, I know. Seems like they ought to be able to do something, though. How many times has Laeta busted his hand now? He's missed damn near a whole season with hand fractures, and played with a cast before. Casts have to effect puck control more than a padded glove.

I know, I know. Seems like they ought to be able to do something, though. How many times has Laeta busted his hand now? He's missed damn near a whole season with hand fractures, and played with a cast before. Casts have to effect puck control more than a padded glove.

They have done something. It's called turn your hand over and use the padded back if you're going to put that in front of a shot. That would probably still lead to damage, but it would be more effective than the padded palm you're suggesting. Unfortunately some people are too stupid or stubborn... Me included

This. You see it more often that you would think in baseball, where pitchers try to snare a liner hit back up the middle - with their pitching (bare) hand. Always makes me shake my head.

This. You see it more often that you would think in baseball, where pitchers try to snare a liner hit back up the middle - with their pitching (bare) hand. Always makes me shake my head.

I suggest that you don't ever watch cricket.

I suggest that you don't ever watch cricket.

After watching a couple minutes on YouTube, I conclude that your suggestion is a wise one, but probably not for the reason you intended. I honestly have no clue what the hell is going on in that game, and I even looked up the rules. That just confused me more.

All that being said - it's not a great comparison to the point I was making. From what I can saw, none of the cricket bowlers (bowlers? really?!?) have an option to catch with a glove. I just find it intriguing that in baseball, you have a guy on the mound who has a $25M/year contract based on his ability to throw a baseball, yet the instinct is still there to stick his bare throwing hand up to catch a liner instead of using the hand with protection.

After watching a couple minutes on YouTube, I conclude that your suggestion is a wise one, but probably not for the reason you intended. I honestly have no clue what the hell is going on in that game, and I even looked up the rules. That just confused me more.

All that being said - it's not a great comparison to the point I was making. From what I can saw, none of the cricket bowlers (bowlers? really?!?) have an option to catch with a glove. I just find it intriguing that in baseball, you have a guy on the mound who has a $25M/year contract based on his ability to throw a baseball, yet the instinct is still there to stick his bare throwing hand up to catch a liner instead of using the hand with protection.

That was kind of the point; none of the fielders except for the wicket-keeper are allowed gloves. All catches are bare-handed, and they have guys who sometimes stand about four yards away from the batsman, too. (They call that position "silly point." I think that's the only position in the game with an obvious name. It certainly makes more sense than "deep square leg" or "extra cover.")

And yeah, bowlers. A ball must not be pitched or thrown, but bowled. Let's not get into the rules on that one.

But no, it's not a great comparison. More just a remark.

That was kind of the point; none of the fielders except for the wicket-keeper are allowed gloves. All catches are bare-handed, and they have guys who sometimes stand about four yards away from the batsman, too. (They call that position "silly point." I think that's the only position in the game with an obvious name. It certainly makes more sense than "deep square leg" or "extra cover.")

And yeah, bowlers. A ball must not be pitched or thrown, but bowled. Let's not get into the rules on that one.

But no, it's not a great comparison. More just a remark.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with "I suggest that you don't ever watch cricket" and call it a day.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with "I suggest that you don't ever watch cricket" and call it a day.

Nah, it's not that bad. You have to remember that most games popular in Europe/UK are good for drinking and talking with your mates. Kinda like baseball, since that's horrible to watch if you don't have someone to chat with.

Anyways, the short conversion guide from baseball to cricket, using mostly baseball terms (based upon watcing a few days worth, add salt). The field is round or oblong instead of a wedge, and only has two bases. A run is scored each time a runner gets to the other base. There's a thick rope around the outside of the field, which is the 'home run fence', so to speak. If the batter hits it out of the field on the fly, 6 runs. If the ball bounces inside first (ground-rule double), 4 runs. If the batter 'flys out', he's out. If the pitcher hits each of the three stakes behind the batter (three strikes), the batter is out. Note that the three strikes could happen on one pitch.

Now for the stranger parts. You don't really 'ground out'. If you hit a grounder, you have the option to run. If you run, you have to beat the ball to the line the opposite base is on. In baseball terms, if you're running to third, you're out if you don't reach the base before the ball crosses the plane of the third base line. As there are no foul balls, force outs, and it's fairly easy to keep the ball from hitting the stakes, at-bats last a *long* time, like hours. There's some method to having batters and people on-base, but I don't remember.

They have done something. It's called turn your hand over and use the padded back if you're going to put that in front of a shot. That would probably still lead to damage, but it would be more effective than the padded palm you're suggesting.

qtf

i played defense for years, blocked a lot of shots, including with my hands, never once hit in the palm

got knocked out cold once when clearing the front of the net and a puck hit me right at the base of the skull. but my palms were fine

Archived