Injury Report: Myers, Ehrhoff and Hecht

spndnchz

From today's Buffalo News:

"Think the injuries make a difference? The Sabres are just 2-9-2 when Ehrhoff is out and 36-22-8 with him. They're 7-10-6 in the games Myers has missed due to injury or suspension and 31-21-4 with the big guy on the ice."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article791420.ece

Good teams overcome major injuries, and there is no real excuse to miss as many chances the Sabres had to score against Pittsburgh and Toronto--- both games were there to be won --- but the reality is that this team isn't good enough in other areas to compensate for the loss of Myers and Ehrhoff, and to a lesser extent, a 3rd D-man in Mike Weber. A combined record of 9-19-8 (really, 9 wins and 27 losses) without those two and it's pretty clear why this team struggled this past weekend. I realize Myers didn't go down until the 3rd period Friday night... size up front in the Top 6, a defensive center, etc. is still the mantra for the offseason.

If Tampa wins in regulation tonight I'll like our chances for this year. It shouldn't have come down to this but it did.

Let's Go, Buffalo...

"Think the injuries make a difference? The Sabres are just 2-9-2 when Ehrhoff is out and 36-22-8 with him. They're 7-10-6 in the games Myers has missed due to injury or suspension and 31-21-4 with the big guy on the ice."

http://www.buffalone...ticle791420.ece

Good teams overcome major injuries, and there is no real excuse to miss as many chances the Sabres had to score against Pittsburgh and Toronto--- both games were there to be won --- but the reality is that this team isn't good enough in other areas to compensate for the loss of Myers and Ehrhoff, and to a lesser extent, a 3rd D-man in Mike Weber. A combined record of 9-19-8 (really, 9 wins and 27 losses) without those two and it's pretty clear why this team struggled this past weekend. I realize Myers didn't go down until the 3rd period Friday night... size up front in the Top 6, a defensive center, etc. is still the mantra for the offseason.

If Tampa wins in regulation tonight I'll like our chances for this year. It shouldn't have come down to this but it did.

Let's Go, Buffalo...

Darcy's really appreciates the number crunching. He has been served his end of year press conference on a platter. :lol:

Darcy's really appreciates the number crunching. He has been served his end of year press conference on a platter. :lol:

That's what you got from that? The fact that this team isn't good enough to win without Ehrhoff and Myers is certainly on Darcy and I'm not suggesting otherwise.

9-27 combined without those two in the lineup. That's substantial.

Let's Go, Buffalo...

I generally agree with this post but I think the bolded part is not quite accurate, because I think there have been a number of games in which both of them were out.

That's what you got from that? The fact that this team isn't good enough to win without Ehrhoff and Myers is certainly on Darcy and I'm not suggesting otherwise.

9-27 combined without those two in the lineup. That's substantial.

Not to discount how poorly the team has played when those 2 haven't been in the lineup, but I'm pretty sure a few of those games they were both out of the lineup. (The 2 sets aren't entirely exclusive so there haven't been a total of 36 games where at least 1 was out of the lineup.)

(Edit: Looks like n beat me to the point.)

I generally agree with this post but I think the bolded part is not quite accurate, because I think there have been a number of games in which both of them were out.

Not to discount how poorly the team has played when those 2 haven't been in the lineup, but I'm pretty sure a few of those games they were both out of the lineup. (The 2 sets aren't entirely exclusive so there haven't been a total of 36 games where at least 1 was out of the lineup.)

(Edit: Looks like n beat me to the point.)

This is true, and I initially started to write something to that effect along with other injury related circumstances from that period, but it got a little wordy. They may not literally be a 9-27 team without those two but they're defensive coverage and offensive zone pressure are clearly inferior when they are not in the lineup.

http://www.buffalone...ticle791420.ece

Let's Go, Buffalo...

Agreed...This team IS a playoff team with those two in the lineup...still not a cup contender (yet), but clearly injuries are the major reason we haven't already clinched...or may not get in.

Whatever. My point was this team isn't anywhere near good enough to sustain injuries, particularly to the top two leaders in ice time, which I not only clearly stated but is also a point you tangentially made yourself about everything going "perfect" for this team to succeed in the WORST Thing About Missing Playoffs thread. That is unfortunately the current state of the roster and I think we're both in agreement about that for the most part. If you want to compare the absence of Ehrhoff and Myers to that of Tropp then snark away because that's all it accomplishes: a snarky talking point.

The Pens can survive the loss of Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, Staal, et al to injury because they a have an elitely structured roster, top to bottom. The Sabres fall apart with a few missing bodies. They aren't just on a different page from the Pens they're in a completely different book.

Whatever. My point was this team isn't anywhere near good enough to sustain injuries, particularly to the top two leaders in ice time, which I not only clearly stated but is also a point you tangentially made yourself about everything going "perfect" for this team to succeed in the WORST Thing About Missing Playoffs thread. That is unfortunately the current state of the roster and I think we're both in agreement about that for the most part. If you want to compare the absence of Ehrhoff and Myers to that of Tropp then snark away because that's all it accomplishes: a snarky talking point.

The Pens can survive the loss of Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, Staal, et al to injury because they a have an elitely structured roster, top to bottom. The Sabres fall apart with a few missing bodies. They aren't just on a different page from the Pens they're in a completely different book.

I didn't mean to snark at you. Your point is valid. I was more responding to the idea of Darcy getting his spreadsheets ready with manipulated figures. I was just showing how easy it is to make the numbers look any way you want. Cory Tropp looks pretty damn important if you want him to, right? We know that isn't the case.

The season is pretty much a failure, so the massaging and hope machine needs to fire up from the inside. I of course can't say the team is better with McNabb,Brennan, over Myers/Ehrhoff.....but real teams weather the storm and find a way to get things done.

Yeah Ellis is back! Now they can send Foligno back down.

With Cory Tropp in the lineup....the Sabres are 20-7-5

With Cory Tropp injured or out....the Sabres are 18-24-5

Blah..blah..blah..............blah..blah...blah.....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I didn't mean to snark at you. Your point is valid. I was more responding to the idea of Darcy getting his spreadsheets ready with manipulated figures. I was just showing how easy it is to make the numbers look any way you want. Cory Tropp looks pretty damn important if you want him to, right? We know that isn't the case.

The season is pretty much a failure, so the massaging and hope machine needs to fire up from the inside. I of course can't say the team is better with McNabb,Brennan, over Myers/Ehrhoff.....but real teams weather the storm and find a way to get things done.

Understood--- I may have taken it as snark due to LTS' post in another thread. As for the bolded, I'm afraid we'll hear that in some form after the season. It's true that a roster cannot be overhauled in one season and I need to hear from management that they don't believe this team is there yet--- not that injuries derailed a playoff team. A few less injuries and they very well could have stolen a Northeast title from Boston, but it wouldn't have made them anymore of a legitimate Cup contender this year.

It's funny, after the 2005-06 season I felt the Sabres were 2-3 players away from being a perenniel contender. Ottawa pretty much manhandled our smaller forwards in the 2nd round that year yet the Sabres were able to gut out a big lead in the series and hold--- but that lack of size and physicality is partially responsible for all those D-men going down in the Conference Finals against a tougher Carolina team. Subsequently, the loss of Grier, Dumont and McKee convinced me they would take an enormous step backward, and although it wasn't evident during the course of the regular season it was proven true in the Conference Finals in 06-07. Ottawa again showed we weren't tough enough. We've been spinning our wheels ever since.

Understood--- I may have taken it as snark due to LTS' post in another thread. As for the bolded, I'm afraid we'll hear that in some form after the season. It's true that a roster cannot be overhauled in one season and I need to hear from management that they don't believe this team is there yet--- not that injuries derailed a playoff team. A few less injuries and they very well could have stolen a Northeast title from Boston, but it wouldn't have made them anymore of a legitimate Cup contender this year.

It's funny, after the 2005-06 season I felt the Sabres were 2-3 players away from being a perenniel contender. Ottawa pretty much manhandled our smaller forwards in the 2nd round that year yet the Sabres were able to gut out a big lead in the series and hold--- but that lack of size and physicality is partially responsible for all those D-men going down in the Conference Finals against a tougher Carolina team. Subsequently, the loss of Grier, Dumont and McKee convinced me they would take an enormous step backward, and although it wasn't evident during the course of the regular season it was proven true in the Conference Finals in 06-07. Ottawa again showed we weren't tough enough. We've been spinning our wheels ever since.

That's funny. I thought the same thing when they hired Bowman.

That's funny. I thought the same thing when they hired Bowman.

For the past 40 years, the Leafs may perenially be The Doormat... but over that same stretch, the Sabres appear to be perenially on The Doorstep.

Something's gotta give.

Hmmmm....

Interestingly....

Did the whole chart today. A WHO do we win with the most when they're in the lineup and WHO do we miss the least when they're out. (Stafford and Roy left out, not big enough sample size)

Top 6:

Ennis

Ehrhoff

Myers

Leino

Boyes

McCormick

Bottom 2:

Gerbe

Ellis

Attached a chart of the injuries over the course of the season. I only include missed-time injuries to the players I've deemed as the Starters (see below) I've also included the number of AHL players in the lineup on any given night. I've defined AHL player as any player who has played for the Amerks this season.

Defense Starters (5): Leopold, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Sekera, Myers

Forward Starters (11): Pommer, Stafford, Roy, Vanek, Leino, Boyes, Kaleta, Gerbe, Goose/Hodgson, Ennis, Hecht

I don't account for injuries to the 6th/7th defensemen or the 12th/13th forwards.

This is a view of the roster only, with no information on how each player played. In or Out is it.

Defensive Health:

Green = 5 healthy Starters

Yellow = 4 healthy Starters

Red = 3 or fewer healthy Starters

AHL Defensmen:

Green = 0, Yellow = 1, Red = 2 or more

Forward Health:

Green = 0-1 starters out

Yellow = 2 starters out

Red = 3 or more starters out

AHL Forwards:

Green = 0-1, Yellow = 2, Red = 3 or more

For convenience, I've highlighted what has been mostly agreed upon as "The Dark Times"

Archived